of natural evolution HeteroticPhenom's Avatar
    HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Beating the hell out of a giant tire w/ a sledgehammer

My gym has one of these things. They basically have an area for people who want to train like a barbarian (think cross-fit, but... for real men, not that stupid silly stuff that seems to be getting popular these days).

I'm a bodybuilder in the purest sense of the word, but I thought I'd go try it. It was fun as hell, and I was putting the fear of God into people in the vicinity. My question is; how exactly can I work this into a bodybuilding routine? I guess it should be done on back (lats) day, but where during the routine, exactly?

I thought that maybe the heavy impacts (as like boxing, your body has to absorb in the energy of some of the impact) would be best used at the end of the back session... to really shake things up in the back (like a really hardcore massage), and get a whole bunch of blood in there at the end of the workout.

At this point, power/strength trainers are saying, "well why the hell would you wanna do that??" LOL... bodybuilders should understand.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by HeteroticPhenom View Post
    LOL... bodybuilders should understand.
    No.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I wanted to beat things with a sledgehammer, I'd get a job in construction. Or loan sharking.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

of natural evolution HeteroticPhenom's Avatar
    HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    No.
    It's a stretch (no pun intended) to think maybe this kind of treatment could be an alternative method to getting in the ballpark of FST. But just imagine... at the end of a good back routine, you go "tenderize" the meat, and then finally stretch like hell before you leave.

1) Tear fibers (heavy lifting)
    2) Massive pump (via some volume training)
    3) The "meat tenderization" therapy that I'm proposing here
    4) The stretching treatment
    5) R&R phase begins in earnest

C'mon now... you know this idea has potential...

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's a stretch (no pun intended) to think maybe this kind of treatment could be an alternative method to getting in the ballpark of FST. But just imagine... at the end of a good back routine, you go "tenderize" the meat, and then finally stretch like hell before you leave.

1) Tear fibers (heavy lifting)
    2) Massive pump (via some volume training)
    3) The "meat tenderization" therapy that I'm proposing here
    4) The stretching treatment
    5) R&R phase begins in earnest

C'mon now... you know this idea has potential...
    Are we talking about bodybuilding or preparing a steak?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think it has great application to pure bodybuilding, which focuses on the development of individual muscles.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would imagine it hits all the small muscles and stabilizers normal weight lifting wouldn't hit.

Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Seems to work for Derek Poundstone, but maybe it is aimed at improving his endurance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrwBnpL-Do
    Go big or go home!

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    for people who want to train like a barbarian (think cross-fit, but... for real men.
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I hit a regular old tire in the backyard with a sledge for HIIT Tabata Intervals. I work it in with my off-day cardio/GPP workout. I enjoy it as a cardio workout.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I take a BB and load one side with bumper plates and swing it around like Bam Bam from the Flintstones.

Now look at dem gainz

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Coke_Zero View Post
    Seems to work for Derek Poundstone, but maybe it is aimed at improving his endurance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrwBnpL-Do
    Yea he does strongmen comps...it's a conditioning exercise. This sh*t really has no use in bodybuilding. He didn't build mass swinging the sledgehammer, he did it lifting weights.

crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by orangegoblin View Post
    I hit a regular old tire in the backyard with a sledge for HIIT Tabata Intervals. I work it in with my off-day cardio/GPP workout. I enjoy it as a cardio workout.
    This is probably its only application for bodybuilding. Would be a great HIIT exercise. Probably good stress release as well.