WarriorMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stupid noob hurt himself doing squats... Now what?

I started doing Stronglifts a few months ago, my first serious strength training effort. About a month or so ago, the weight finally started to get challenging, on squats especially. I pushed through the workouts each time, probably unwisely. It wasn't until a few weeks ago, when I was hit by a rather sharp pain in my lower back while on the 4th set of squatting 200lb that I really got worried and slowed down. Too late, though, because now my lower back is chronically tight, and squatting as little as 135 is painful. Not too much, but enough to make me worry.

After reading these forums a lot this week, I think my problem is a combination of overzealousness and a butt-wink issue. I'm going to start doing the stretches shown in the Squat Rx videos to increase my hip flexibility.

I know I've been naive and foolish, so no need to convince me of that. I thought I was being careful, following all the guidelines and cautions, but apparently not enough. But what do I do now with my workouts? Is it best to stop doing squats and deadlifts for a while, until my back feels better? Or should I just do a big deload and slowly work back up, ignoring any discomfort? Thanks.

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WarriorMonk View Post
    I started doing Stronglifts a few months ago, my first serious strength training effort. About a month or so ago, the weight finally started to get challenging, on squats especially. I pushed through the workouts each time, probably unwisely. It wasn't until a few weeks ago, when I was hit by a rather sharp pain in my lower back while on the 4th set of squatting 200lb that I really got worried and slowed down. Too late, though, because now my lower back is chronically tight, and squatting as little as 135 is painful. Not too much, but enough to make me worry.

After reading these forums a lot this week, I think my problem is a combination of overzealousness and a butt-wink issue. I'm going to start doing the stretches shown in the Squat Rx videos to increase my hip flexibility.

I know I've been naive and foolish, so no need to convince me of that. I thought I was being careful, following all the guidelines and cautions, but apparently not enough. But what do I do now with my workouts? Is it best to stop doing squats and deadlifts for a while, until my back feels better? Or should I just do a big deload and slowly work back up, ignoring any discomfort? Thanks.
    I'd stop squats and deadlifts till your back is a bit better. Your muscles will hopefully have memory when you get back to doing squats, when you start back up obviously deload.

ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ForzaAzzurri10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would definitely wait till your back feels better before you do squats again. When you start again, start light and work on your form before you move up in weight. You can also get a back brace for when you do squats to make sure your back doesn't take any unwanted stress.
    "Pain is temporary, pride is forever"

"Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you're riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality." - Bob Marley

Yankees - Giants - Juventus - Italia International

++ Positive Crew ++
    ** Italian Crew **

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Mayhaps your Lower Back just isn't strong enough. Target the ****er and pull the trigger.

guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would stop doing compound lifts until you get the injury check out by a doctor. You don't want to have a lower back injury lingering around on you.
    "Sometimes you just feel tired.
    You feel weak and when you feel weak you feel like you wanna just give up.
    But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
    and just pull that s*** out of you and get that motivation to not give up
    and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse." -Eminem

JoelD90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rest up and dont squat or deadift, take it from someone who had a lower back injury and was out for over 18months! it needs to heal!

THEN - look at form, video yourself doing a full depth body weight squat! if you can see your hips 'tilt' as your get lower (usually around parallel on people) then stop just before this occurs! It is called lordosis (anterior tilt or rounding of the lordotic spine) and its not fun! With time and some flexibility work you will get lower and eventually into full depth again!

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I second that you really need to rest. Also, keep in mind the buttwinking issue is not just about flexibility -- you also need to learn how to actively stabilize your trunk during the squat. Chest up, tight abs, tight lower back.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JoelD90 View Post
    rest up and dont squat or deadift, take it from someone who had a lower back injury and was out for over 18months! it needs to heal!

THEN - look at form, video yourself doing a full depth body weight squat! if you can see your hips 'tilt' as your get lower (usually around parallel on people) then stop just before this occurs! It is called lordosis (anterior tilt or rounding of the lordotic spine) and its not fun! With time and some flexibility work you will get lower and eventually into full depth again!
    buttwink is posterior pelvic tilt, not APT/lordosis. People usually introduce exaggerated APT (sticking your ass out basically) into their squat form because they are actively trying to avoid PPT/buttwink.

Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dome89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you supplementing taurine?
    "It's not about how big you are, it's about getting ripped and staying lean." -Frankie G

team -- Cellucor --Blackops

♛ 8 Inch Dick Length Crew
    Workout In My Own Gym Crew ♛

slowly bulking steady growing w00p

I'm never going to be like Arnold Schwarzenegger, your not going to look like ME, we are all different get to where YOU want to be. -Mark Wahlberg

WarriorMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the responses. Seems the consensus is that I need to let my back rest, then start again sloooooowly. I'll post a form check video when I start back up, and ask for specific guidance. How long should I wait? A few weeks? Until I don't feel the tightness anymore? In the meantime, is there anything I *can* still do, upper body or core work perhaps, or would it be best to stay out of the gym for a while?

Dome89, I'm not taking taurine supplements specifically, but I think there's some in my protein powder that I make my breakfast smoothies with.

batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would do a lot of mobility work before you start to squat again.
    -Having a big tool box is great but it means nothing if you lack a set of standard screwdrivers and a hammer.
    -The Pareto principle: 80% of the effects are from 20% of causes. All the other small details will only affect a small portion of results, 80% of causes will contribute to 20% of the effects.

RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&pagenumber=

Originally Posted by WarriorMonk View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Seems the consensus is that I need to let my back rest, then start again sloooooowly. I'll post a form check video when I start back up, and ask for specific guidance. How long should I wait? A few weeks? Until I don't feel the tightness anymore? In the meantime, is there anything I *can* still do, upper body or core work perhaps, or would it be best to stay out of the gym for a while?

Dome89, I'm not taking taurine supplements specifically, but I think there's some in my protein powder that I make my breakfast smoothies with.
    Core work could be beneficial, provided it doesn't aggravate your back. Forget situps and crunches and anything else that involves flexing the midsection -- stick with planks and other stabilization exercises.

JoelD90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    I second that you really need to rest. Also, keep in mind the buttwinking issue is not just about flexibility -- you also need to learn how to actively stabilize your trunk during the squat. Chest up, tight abs, tight lower back.
    sorry only read 1st paragraph