IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000)

Birth Control and Weight Gain.

Cliffs of background/history:

- chunky when I was younger
    - dropped 15lbs in a month due to some family problems and basically slept/didn't eat for a month - (115lbs)
    - 16: went on the pill because my cramps were so bad I was throwing up
    - gained 10lbs over the next year (switched pills whenever cramps would come back) - (125lbs)
    - 17-19: eating disorder (eating 6-700 kcal a day, running 15 miles a week...still on one pill or another) - (still 125lbs despite 2 year ed)
    - 20-21: got my **** together, started powerlifting/playing rugby, eating damn near perfectly, gained 13-15lbs (still on the pill) - (138lbs)

So here I am, a solid 8-10lbs over where I would like to be (that 13-15lb gain is a good deal of muscle). Ideally I would like to start doing figure competitions, but I can't lose an ounce, and haven't been able to since I started the pill. Now, the cramps have returned and it's time to switch again. I looked into Mirena (the hormonal IUD) because the non-hormonal IUD causes worse cramps which defeats the purpose. All I want is a birth control method that won't make me gain weight/make it impossible to lose and make my cramps manageable.

What are you on? How has it affected your weight? Training (I'd still like to continue powerlifting meets, but added estrogen makes it harder to gain muscle)? Other side effects?
    I don't have time to lift - I make time.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Personally, Ive been on everything, pill, patch, depo, and now mirena. Ive had no issues gaining or losing weight/muscle on any of them. Most women who say they gain weight on BC do so because they have bad eating/exercise habits before the BC. I think the women who have trouble losing weight or gain weight because of the BC are actually A LOT fewer than what is claimed.

The fact that you have had an ed probably effects you more than you know, as it tends to mess with the body way more than just a method of BC does, and you are not but what a year or so off from that. It can take a very long time for the body to recover itself. And at your stats and goals, you should not be worried about losing weight in any case.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Most weight gain with birth control pills is due to fluid retention. Yasmin is claimed to counter water retention so maybe speak to your Dr about that one.

amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had an Implanon for 11 years- it worked for me. Didn't get my period that often and it was light with no cramps. But as with all BC, it's not for everyone...

I just took it out as we are going to try for a baby, and since I took it out (2 weeks) I have been absolutely ravenous. I think I am going to gain weight off of BC, at least until my hormones decide that things are normal again!!

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yasmin is a crap pill and is linked to causing all sorts of issues - do not go on it; so many people have become hypothyroid a a result of going on it (poss incl me!). Get yourself on a low estrogen pill such a microgynon 20/mercillon 20 - anything with a 20 in! Or go on the Progesterone only. If you keep switching your body will never adjust as each pill has a different type of synthetic hormone in it and different amounts. I've been on the pill for a decade with no issues other than higher estrogen pills causing a bit of water retention. Don't forget it takes a good 4 weeks for the body to readjust to a new pill.

Losing fat/weight is about diet and eating under your maintenance calories. The pill has nothing to do with it. STOP switching pills every time the cramps come back. Get on a pill and stay on it for a while, I'm talking like 6-8 months - give your body a chance and trust me on the low estorgen pills. If the cramps are that bad shouldn't you be seeing a proper gyno anyway?

Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Most women who say they gain weight on BC do so because they have bad eating/exercise habits before the BC. I think the women who have trouble losing weight or gain weight because of the BC are actually A LOT fewer than what is claimed.
    Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    The pill has nothing to do with it.
    In my case, I agree with the above. I'm on the cheapest BC, Brenda 35, it ends up costing me under $9/month. I went on the pill when I was 19. I actually had my last growth spurt when I was 18. At 16 I was still wearing children's dress sizes whilst at 19 I was a US size 6. So comparing your case to mine it might be a little unfair to compare your weight to when you were 16 in case you weren't actually fully grown.. unless you have measurement stats of when you were 16 for a better comparison, or perhaps identical photos from the different ages?

I still get cramps but on this one I'm on the rags for two nights (three days) with heavy cramping only on the first day, a lot of mood swings the week before and it does control my acne but I still get pimples here and there. Personally, I'd attribute my weight gain of 11lb to other factors and not the BC (I've been on the Brenda for four years). It's easy to just blame the BC. To date, I've been improving my diet and commitment to the gym to lose that 11lb but everybody says I look a lot slimmer today than I used to when I was a size 6.

I agree with wakechia, stay on it for a long term period. It's only because I've been on the BC for a long time that the duration decreases and cramping is minimised to a shortened period of time.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You shouldn't be concerned with being 10# heavier than where you were if you want to do figure as its not about dieting down to be skinny and tone but about developing a feminine athletic physique...then dieting down to reveal just enough muscle separation. The scale pretty much shouldn't matter if that's the way you want to go. But take caution that this sport can cause dysfunctional relationships with food and exercise so if you are recovering or susceptible still to ED you need to discuss this with someone.

I've taken BC since high school and did all throughout my cut and never had issues maintaining or losing weight. The only time I gained was when I stopped lifting weights and watching my diet. Honestly I never counted a single calorie until about 3 years ago... I take the lowest estrogen pill available
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000) IronEnergy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yasmin is a crap pill and is linked to causing all sorts of issues - do not go on it; so many people have become hypothyroid a a result of going on it (poss incl me!). Get yourself on a low estrogen pill such a microgynon 20/mercillon 20 - anything with a 20 in! Or go on the Progesterone only. If you keep switching your body will never adjust as each pill has a different type of synthetic hormone in it and different amounts. I've been on the pill for a decade with no issues other than higher estrogen pills causing a bit of water retention. Don't forget it takes a good 4 weeks for the body to readjust to a new pill.

Losing fat/weight is about diet and eating under your maintenance calories. The pill has nothing to do with it. STOP switching pills every time the cramps come back. Get on a pill and stay on it for a while, I'm talking like 6-8 months - give your body a chance and trust me on the low estorgen pills. If the cramps are that bad shouldn't you be seeing a proper gyno anyway?
    I am seeing a gyno, I don't switch every month, the pill usually helps the cramps for about 6-8 months and then I'm back to not being able to function the day I get my period regardless of how many painkillers/muscle relaxers I take. I can't switch more than twice a year anyway because my gyno requires a consult and checkup before changing me and I go to one at home, not at school so I don't have the opportunity to see her often.

Also, I'm not flat out blaming the pill for anything, but I genuinely do have my diet dialed in to a point that it's almost frustrating. I would more than anything like to experiment with a birth control method that does not have weight gain as a side effect so that I can eliminate it as a possible reason. Hormones do effect weight, so I would ideally like to see how lowering the additional amount I put in my body effects me.

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    You shouldn't be concerned with being 10# heavier than where you were if you want to do figure as its not about dieting down to be skinny and tone but about developing a feminine athletic physique...then dieting down to reveal just enough muscle separation. The scale pretty much shouldn't matter if that's the way you want to go. But take caution that this sport can cause dysfunctional relationships with food and exercise so if you are recovering or susceptible still to ED you need to discuss this with someone.

I've taken BC since high school and did all throughout my cut and never had issues maintaining or losing weight. The only time I gained was when I stopped lifting weights and watching my diet. Honestly I never counted a single calorie until about 3 years ago... I take the lowest estrogen pill available
    I understand that part of it and am trying to find a balance because I've been counting calories/macros for 4 years and I obviously have a habit/tendency to obsess. Especially since through all my weightlifting and diet watching I have never been successful losing weight. But I'll definitely be asking about the low estrogen and progesterone-only pills.

Originally Posted by amiaow View Post
    I had an Implanon for 11 years- it worked for me. Didn't get my period that often and it was light with no cramps. But as with all BC, it's not for everyone...

I just took it out as we are going to try for a baby, and since I took it out (2 weeks) I have been absolutely ravenous. I think I am going to gain weight off of BC, at least until my hormones decide that things are normal again!!
    Implanon is another big one I'm considering. It would definitely be nice to not have to take a pill everyday. The only thing that has been keeping me from doing it so far is that they stop helping me after a few months and I can't change it if I hate it.

Thanks for all the responses.
    I don't have time to lift - I make time.

NICKOPATRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NICKOPATRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NICKOPATRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for over 15 years and never had an issue with losing weight or gaining muscle. Maybe it's a good one to try? Good luck

snooj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are we twins? I started birth control young and after a year or so, the cramps would come right back and I'd switch pills. I'm now on Mirena, and while I have my issues with it, it's pretty awesome. I promote it a lot because it's a low dosage of hormones, so it's better in a lot of ways than pills. Plus you can just forget about it for several years. Just a heads up, not everyone stops bleeding while on Mirena (I still have a period every 2-3 months). You may also want to try stacking pills if you're considering Mirena to stop periods. There's no reason to take a week off while on the pill. Maybe that'll help too.

Everyone has such individual experiences with birth control it's hard to say what'll work for you. It's just trial and error. What one person rants about, another loves. If you're worried about estrogen, take progesterone like Mirena and most pills, although you may want to try it just to see if it helps with your cramps or not. Hopefully your doctor can pinpoint why you're even getting them!

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    POP are pretty good. The only side effect I got was acne when I was on Femulen. No weight issues at all as far as I can tell. It completely stopped my cramps. The other ladies are right that if you keep switching around your pill, your body doesn't have time to figure out what the hell is going on with hormones, so of course you will still have weird hormonal side effects like cramps. No point switching until at LEAST 3 months in, preferably significantly longer. I think it's more likely that your ED history limits your weight loss than anything else. I find it very hard to lose anything since my ED.

Have you considered getting the jab or implant if you are convinced the pill messes with your weight?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155881453

emailjen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had really bad luck on BC. I gained at least 70# during the 2 years I was on it. My blood pressure went through the roof and I had issues too. Including migraines. I never have any luck with meds of any kinds. I always get the never happen symptoms. One med I have taken in the last year (not BC) the side affect was hives that happen in less than 1% of the people who take it...yea I got those. I have chosen not to take any meds of any kind. My body does not like them.

Yep I am willing to bet your BC is the cause of your weight gain. It is making your hormones change like all BC does.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok...I agree that BC does affect your hormone levels but not as much as we make it out to be.

If you are gaining 70# over the course of two years...that's not birth control's fault, that's eating too many calories. Everyone wants to believe that the sole explanation for their weight gain is birth control and not the amount of food they put into their bodies, but there's only so much blame you can place on the pill. BC may cause you to gain a few to 5 pounds or so of fluid but that usually resides after a few months.

Birth control won't magically block lipolysis...you can lose weight on it...you can get extremely lean on it. Check you're diet...if you aren't tracking calories then don't blame the pill. Track everything down to the last gram, then if you prove that you are truly eating in a deficit (and are consistent in that deficit...those weekend "cheat days" will make you hold a lot of water for a few days so could blur your perception of weight loss) and still not losing, then maybe something could be off.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I did not know that. It's always interesting to hear real reviews, rather than pharmaceutical company marketing.

Originally Posted by Boobasaur View Post

I still get cramps but on this one I'm on the rags for two nights (three days) with heavy cramping only on the first day, a lot of mood swings the week before and it does control my acne but I still get pimples here and there.
    Do you always get mood swings? That kind of surprises me because Brenda isn't a triphasic pill. With Brenda you take the same hormones for 21 days and then have a withdrawal bleed (not the same as a period). One would assume your mood would also be fairly stable. Mine always was but I do realise it affects women differently. Have you tried another pill for the acne? I had some better success with Diane.