hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

High Blood Pressure Aftermath

Been taking medication for high blood pressure off and on since heart attack in 2008. More off than on, I am good at not taking medications.

It seems when I do start taking the medication I get real fatigued and experience great losses in strength and energy. I would then stop taking it, thinking I was experiencing side effects. After stopping energy and strength would return and I would assume all is right with the world.

That is until my next checkup. Last one 179/110. Highest it has ever been. That scared me into resuming medication. Sure enough fatigue, strength/energy loss with it. Went back to Dr. for followup, 140/83, getting better.

So I decided to do more research and found this: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-hi...sure-aftermath

Quoting the very first item:

1. Fatigue and Dizziness

Dan Jones, MD, tells WebMD that when people begin taking blood pressure medication, the most common problem is fatigue. Jones is dean of the School of Medicine at the University of Mississippi in Jackson, and spokesman for the American Heart Association (AHA). "It's especially true for older patients. If blood pressure has been elevated for a while, when the medication is taken and the blood pressure begins to come down, for a period of time there's less circulation in some of the vessels, including those in the brain. It takes time for those constricted vessels to relax. There may be a perception that there's less blood flow, which can produce fatigue or dizziness. If it's mild, it can be worked through simply by staying with the medication."

A patient who feels fatigued when on the medication may decide instead of taking it daily to take it every few days or so. "When they go off it, the blood pressure rises and they feel better," says Jones. "If they continue this cycle, they never get past the fatigue, which typically will go away after two to six weeks of therapy."
    I am so happy to have found this. So I am going to ride it out.

OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    Been taking medication for high blood pressure off and on since heart attack in 2008. More off than on, I am good at not taking medications.

It seems when I do start taking the medication I get real fatigued and experience great losses in strength and energy. I would then stop taking it, thinking I was experiencing side effects. After stopping energy and strength would return and I would assume all is right with the world.

That is until my next checkup. Last one 179/110. Highest it has ever been. That scared me into resuming medication. Sure enough fatigue, strength/energy loss with it. Went back to Dr. for followup, 140/83, getting better.

So I decided to do more research and found this: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-hi...sure-aftermath

I've been taking an ACE inhibitor Cozaar for almost 5 years now, and initially, it kicked my a$$. I went through about 3 different meds...all of them gave me a dry hacking cough that drove me nuts.

Strangely, I did not have high BP prior, but it's a long term preventative for kidney issues (I only have 1 kidney)...and I keep my BP down in the 115/60 range. Initially, was very tired and sluggish...then I got used to it, just as you described.

Now for tough love...STOP SKIPPING THE MEDICINE!
    Slow and steady wins the race...unless it's an actual race. -- Unknown

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good job. My grandfather did not like his medicine, he died from strokes at 52. Strokes suck. They we going to put me on same pill as I had made it to 160/97. Preventative lower dose.

That was last straw for me to make big push to take off big weight. So far so good no pill back to 128/80 range. If it creeps up again I am taking the pill, don't want to be stroke drooling with nurse taking care of me. Fawk that.
    Last edited by EjnarKolinkar; 12-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You didn't know this already? Every doctor that prescribed me BP meds told me from the outset that it was common to feel fatigued, dizzy, and lightheaded until your body adapted to the lower blood pressure.

And, agree with the other posters .. 179/110 is crazy high. You should never be skipping meds, especially if you've already had a heart attack.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Glad to hear! We d like to keep ya around a while.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good for you hammerfelt, Hope it all gets normal for you real fast.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50) southerndoc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Definitely take your medication. I'm on cozaar (an ARB), and initially it made me feel fatigued. Took about a month to go away. With your history of a prior MI (heart attack), I definitely would take your medication.

Also, studies have shown that when lifting heavy weights, your blood pressure increases exponentially. A cardiothoracic surgeon where I trained placed arterial lines in powerlifters. Their systolic pressures went to 400 mmHg when they were performing squats. This is why powerlifters have a higher than normal incidence of aortic dissections.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hammer...

I am going to say something that although unpopular, is the truth. Why not just lose some weight? If it is getting to the point of causing you life threatening issues....drop all that baggage. I know you like being strong...and were even on surplus as of recent...but who cares how much you squat when you blow an artery or stroke out? I mean srs...179/100.

For reference, I just helped a friend over the past 4 months who was approaching severely overweight. 5'8 240. He was on 5 different prescriptions. BP meds, chelesterol...etc.
    I set up his diet and taught him to track cals. He is now 182 and off all meds. His BP is now 110/75. Was 170/100 IIRC.

Anyway....you obviously do what you want, but just making sure you understand that many of your medical issue (life threatening ones) would be solved with getting down to healthy body fat levels.

I say this with all due respect to your competitive drive....and it does not take anything away from that. Respect to your lifting ability, but I am sure you would still be quite strong if you dropped 100lbs too.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OsnolaKinnard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post
    Definitely take your medication. I'm on cozaar (an ARB), and initially it made me feel fatigued. Took about a month to go away. With your history of a prior MI (heart attack), I definitely would take your medication.

Also, studies have shown that when lifting heavy weights, your blood pressure increases exponentially. A cardiothoracic surgeon where I trained placed arterial lines in powerlifters. Their systolic pressures went to 400 mmHg when they were performing squats. This is why powerlifters have a higher than normal incidence of aortic dissections.
    Those studies are why I don't lift nearly as much as I could...especially squatting. Having 1 kidney that is just bad news for me, as my Nephrologist told me (and he's a lifter)...your long term effects are more negative than positive...DON'T DO IT!

I still get after it in the gym...but really onl train at about 70% of what I truly think I could do. It sucks...but it's better than the alternative.
    Slow and steady wins the race...unless it's an actual race. -- Unknown

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to take atenolol and hctz. I was warned that it could affect my training. It did not. I no longer take the atenolol. I was scared, to be honest, to go off and to feel what a normal heartbeat feels like. Mine was very slow, so slow that whenever my blood pressure would be taken outside of my regular dr's office, I would be asked if I was a marathon runner lol. Once I had to have an ekg redone because I wasn't registering much of anything.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    been taking medication for high blood pressure off and on since heart attack in 2008. More off than on, i am good at not taking medications.

It seems when i do start taking the medication i get real fatigued and experience great losses in strength and energy. I would then stop taking it, thinking i was experiencing side effects. After stopping energy and strength would return and i would assume all is right with the world.

That is until my next checkup. Last one 179/110. Highest it has ever been. That scared me into resuming medication. Sure enough fatigue, strength/energy loss with it. Went back to dr. For followup, 140/83, getting better.

So i decided to do more research and found this: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-hi...sure-aftermath

quoting the very first item:

I am so happy to have found this. So i am going to ride it out.
    i to have highblood pressure but i've never experienced any of that .

Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Soonerjohn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had HBP for a good many years. It took about 5 different meds before one didn't seem to mess me up. The one that finally did well was lisinopril. Finally got serious about lifting, stopped taking my meds and after a month it stayed down. No more meds. Which caused its own set of problems with the insurance companies. They don't like people going off of HBP meds.

Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    I used to take atenolol and hctz. I was warned that it could affect my training. It did not. I no longer take the atenolol. I was scared, to be honest, to go off and to feel what a normal heartbeat feels like. Mine was very slow, so slow that whenever my blood pressure would be taken outside of my regular dr's office, I would be asked if I was a marathon runner lol. Once I had to have an ekg redone because I wasn't registering much of anything.
    How long were you on the atenolol? I've been on it about 16 years, and I have a new doctor and he mentioned he would like to take me off that on put me on something else as Atenolol has a number of nasty side effects (like causing type 2 diabetes over time which already runs in my family). Never have found anybody who was on this and then went off. Wondering how it went for you. It's one of those fun drugs you can't just suddenly stop. Need to be weened off. If I miss mine by a couple of hours my heart starts to race and I feel like ****.
    Bench 335 x 4, 375 x 1
    Squat 455 x 2
    DL 495 x 4

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks everyone! I know I need to get my weight under control. I am going to make a concerted effort to do so.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    Yeah, atenolol is a beta blocker, and beta blockers can reduce performance by reducing cardiac output ... The other meds (ACE inhibitors, diuretics, etc.) should not have as much of an effect on training.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks everyone! I know I need to get my weight under control. I am going to make a concerted effort to do so.

Good luck. I am sure you will still be strong as hell!

Lots of guys on here to help as well. I used to be totally lost on the nutrition side, and learned a lot from here. My suggestion is to read up on some the threads IW always links to. Very good info there!

If there is any help I can offer, hit me up!
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was on it for about as long as you, with a dosage drop from 50 mg to 25 I think somewhere along the line - probably after I quit smoking. I was on a low enough dose that I could just quit without tapering.

Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    How long were you on the atenolol? I've been on it about 16 years, and I have a new doctor and he mentioned he would like to take me off that on put me on something else as Atenolol has a number of nasty side effects (like causing type 2 diabetes over time which already runs in my family). Never have found anybody who was on this and then went off. Wondering how it went for you. It's one of those fun drugs you can't just suddenly stop. Need to be weened off. If I miss mine by a couple of hours my heart starts to race and I feel like ****.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501