Registered Physiologist Goose102's Avatar
    Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

NASM CPT-4 Anyone taken it recently?

I'm taking the NASM CPT-4 tomorrow morning. Has anyone taken this version recently, and want to share some info on what I should be pounding on right now?

It seems like most of the NASM threads talk about the CPT-3, rather than the newest. I'd say they're very similar, but I just want some input.

Thanks!
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    NASM-CPT
    MMA Brah

Make Misc Great Again JustiNtense's Avatar
    JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JustiNtense has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Go to the muscle anatomy chart...

Study it so you can comprehend most the muscles eccentric and concentric functions....

Pass test...
    "Even through the darkest days, this fire burns, always."

The pessimist complains about the wind
    The optimist expects it to change direction
    The realist adjusts the sails

titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titusricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Read the last 3 or 4 pages of the "How to be over prepared for NASM" thread. People have posted on what version 4 covers. I take it on the 20th and feel really confident about it. Good luck.
    Something clever and deep.

NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    ACE Personal Trainer Certification
    TRX

Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks guys!
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    NASM-CPT
    MMA Brah

LiveStrongInk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    JustiNtense did you read the whole book or how did you go about studying for it? I'm an Exercise Science student and have been reading the first couple chapters and feel like I'm already reading too much. Just wonderin' what your history is (school, certs, ex..) and how much time u spent studyin? Thanks guys.

I myself, am a student of exercise science. I took (and very easily passed) the NASM-CPT4 this morning. Here's a quick outline of my experience:

I bought the package from the website that included the book (newest version--which is honestly one of the Best textbooks I've owned), the NASM eLearning Center (online videos with activities), as well as the actual exam.

The online study material helps a lot, especially if you're more of a hands-on learner. They have lots of examples of certain things within the videos. And the activities are extremely helpful (especially with learning the different muscular imbalances and compensations).

Studying Section 1.) Fundamentals of Human Movement Science (Includes Chapters 1-5 in the version 4 book):

You're best with Section 1 is to go through all 5 chapters, making note cards on ALL vocabulary. With you being a student of exercise science, this will be the easy part. I already new the chapters fairly well, but would have been in bad shape without the review.

The main things to learn from this section are:

Ch. 1- The Phases of Training of the OPT model (pg's 9-14). Know the goals/training strategies of all 5 phases (This is a big one).

Ch. 2- Basic Exercise Science- Be familiar with all the definitions/concepts, muscle fiber types, and muscles as movers.
    On my exam, I had zero questions about bones/joint types/(maybe one question about the nervous system).

Ch. 3- This is an important chapter. Know all about the Heart (Left and Right Atrium/Left and Right Ventricles). The vocab in this chapter was all over my exam. Learn/memorize it all. Know table 3.2 - Structures of the respiratory pump.

Ch. 4- Know the 3 metabolic pathways in which cells generate ATP (ATP-PC, Glycolysis, Oxidative system). Know about EPOC (the last ? on my exam was about EPOC).

Ch. 5- This is a Huge chapter. To pass this exam, you must be familiar with all of the planes of motion(sagittal, frontal, and transverse), Axes, and joint motion (fig 5.4-5.7). Know about Muscle Actions, Muscle Synergies, and Force-Couple Relationships.

Section 2.) Assessments, Training Concepts, and Program Design (Most questions will come from this section):

Ch. 6- Know this Chapter inside and out. There were literally 1-2 questions from each heading of this chapter. The posture and movement assessments are key to passing the exam. Know everything about the pushing/pulling assessments, and know (in detail) the performance assessments.

Ch. 7- First learn all definitions. Then go back and attempt to understand them more thoroughly by reading about them. Know all about muscle spindle and GTO interactions. Know the Flexibility Continuum in combination with what types of stretching to use at each of the 5 phases of the OPT model. And the biggest thing from ch. 7 is Pg. 183 (Table 7.6). Know literally every part of this table. It WILL be on the test. To make this table easier to understand, I would try learning the isolated function of each muscle (which can be found in the back of the book). You should learn these anyway, being a personal trainer and all.

Ch. 8- Again, know all definitions. Know the benefits of cardiorespiratory fitness. Know all about the warm-up, conditioning, and cool-down phases. Know the FITTE principle and Know table 8.6 - General Aerobic Activity Recommendations. The biggest part of this chapter are the stages of training (1-3), and all 3 training zones and their variables. Also, read over circuit training. It was on my exam.

Ch. 9- The biggest thing coming from this chapter were the actual core exercise (look at the pictures in this chapter). Learn which exercises are performed at which phase of the OPT model, as well as the details about "preparation" and the actual "movement" of each exercise. Also, know about the core musculature (all 3 of the systems - Local, Global, and Movement). As well as proper form and regressions/progressions of the exercises.

Ch. 10- Know the concepts of Balance training (What is the importance of balance training?). And just as wit Ch. 9, learn which balance exercises are performed at each stage of the OPT model.

Ch. 11- ^Same as above^.

Ch. 12- The definitions in this chapter are important. Learn them. Also, know which SAQ drills are performed for the different populations.

Ch. 13- This was an important chapter as well. I would literally learn everything about this chapter. I didn't have any actual questions about the General Adaptation Syndrome on my exam, but as a P.T., you should know it! Know (inside and out) all resistance training exercises at each phase, as well as proper form and regressions/progressions.

Ch. 14- Know the Acute Variables. I guarantee you won't pass this exam unless you learn and memorize all of the acute variables at each phase of training. Know the Progression continuum. *Know tables 14.7-14.9.

Ch. 15- There wasn't too much on my exam in this chapter, but there's still plenty of good info to learn. I would definitely still look over it, making note cards on the important things.

Ch. 16- I had quite a few questions about pregnant women, as well as a few regarding the training of the youth population.

Ch. 17- Nutrition was a biggie. Know all about protein/carbs/fat. Digestion and utilization was important. Everyone says to know the essential and nonessential amino acids, but they weren't on my exam. Know the recommended macro-nutrient intake levels, as well as the amount of water you should consume daily.

Ch. 18- Know all definitions and read over the chapter. There's lots of good info to learn in this chapter.

Ch. 19- Know the Stages of Change, The Initial Session, and the Importance of Effective Communication. I would read and make note cards on everything for those 3 topics. Know about the common barriers to exercise. I also remember having 1 or 2 questions about Strategies to Enhance Exercise Adherence.

Ch. 20- I only remember having one question from the info presented in this chapter. It was actually mentioned in the "How to be overprepared for the NASM" thread. It dealt with the Ten Steps to Success. I would look over those. Be sure you know it!

The exercise library in the back of the book is a great tool when trying to learn what exercises are performed at what phase.

All in all, I felt under-prepared going into the exam, but came out feeling like I over-prepared.

Just knock it out, chapter by chapter. They tend to become cumulative in a way, so it does get easier with time.

Good luck!
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    NASM-CPT
    MMA Brah