Hey guys, a case to crack.
An acquaintance of mine, let's call him John, at school (know through high school) has been texting a girl named Claudia (whom I do not know, and who does not know me) pretending to be a guy named Jimmy. This idiot has been sending her sexually explicit messages and even threatened to beat her up. This idiot has also brought my name somehow into this, despite the fact that I was not involved.
STORY: I happened to be at the library a couple weeks ago and this dude was there too. He was already sending this girl messages for weeks beforehand. He then composed a message, read it out to me, and asked me if he should send it. I said "Yeah, do whatever you want."
NOW, I'm being accused of having a major role in this electronic social aggression.
I've been suspended for 3 days, until Thursday morning at 10AM when I will meet with the discipline committee to further discuss. The discipline committee consists of:
-2 students from the college
-the Coordinator of Student Services or his or her delegate
-one member of the student Services (administrative people)
-one member of the college community
The procedure is as following:
1. The chairperson shall convene the Discipline Committee within 3 working days in cases where a suspension has been applied in accordance with the Zero Tolerance policy.
2. The Committee shall establish its own internal procedures.
3. The student in contravention of the College policy, shall be informed in writing of:
a)nature of the complaint
b)time, date and place of hearing
d)his/her right to have, if desired, a person who is a member of the college community present to support the student.
4. In cases where witnesses may be involved, the Committee may decide, after speaking to the student, whether it is necessary to hear some or all witnesses.
5. The Committee shall come to a decision by a majority vote.
6. The student shall be informed of the Committee's decision within 5 days after the end of the hearing.
7. The Committee may make recommendations to other areas of the College in cases where it feels similar problems can be prevented.
Finally, I can appeal, in writing within 15 days upon notification of sanctions.
I can do so ONLY if one of the following conditions exist:
1. The procedures for the Student Code of Discipline were not followed.
2. New information/evidence, not previously presented, comes to light. (which I have, and I will write the letter tomorrow)
The Director General shall conduct a hearing giving the student the possibility of being heard. The Director General shall render a decision at the latest 15 days after the end of the hearing.
Very vague question, what advice do you have?
This should be fun for some of you, you get to be a mini-lawyer for a meaningless case with no consequences.
NOTE: I repeat, I am innocent and they should be able to find this out after tracing the text messages back to John. However, I was not aware of who he was sending a message to, and what the message consisted of because I was not paying attention. Also, this suspension is causing me to miss 2 exams. (tomorrow)
Get crackin, thanks. wutdo?