w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Nutrition profile of grass fed vs grain fed beef

My wife and I were having a debate about nutrient profiles of beef. She seems to think that muscle (beef) is just the same either way it grows (grain vs grassfed) and I think there is a big difference in the nutrition profiles of each.
    Knowing that most commercial beef is fed maybe a little grass and mostly grain with growth hormones and antibiotics since the cows digestive systems were not made to ingest grains, what does anyone think about this difference?

Thank you for your time.
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BWC101 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by w8killer View Post
    My wife and I were having a debate about nutrient profiles of beef. She seems to think that muscle (beef) is just the same either way it grows (grain vs grassfed) and I think there is a big difference in the nutrition profiles of each.
    Knowing that most commercial beef is fed maybe a little grass and mostly grain with growth hormones and antibiotics since the cows digestive systems were not made to ingest grains, what does anyone think about this difference?

Thank you for your time.
    As far as I understand, grass fed vs grain fed can entail more than just what the cows are fed but a range of other factors including living conditions of the cattle, hormones/antibiotics used etc.

Generally speaking, grass fed beef is said to have a superior Omega3:6 ratio than that of grain fed and also higher in B vitamins, other vitamins and minerals. Youd have to read up on which ones exactly.

Overall man there are definitely benefits to grass fed over grain fed but in terms of price and convenience, I don't go out of my way to locate grass-fed in my area when grain fed is much easier/cheaper.
    I hate haters

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    IMO if you are using beef as a primary source of n-3, you are doing something wrong.

4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Dimension is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There are higher levels of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) in grass fed beef versus conventional (feedlot) beef. The main thing is what's NOT in grass fed versus conventional beef. No hormones o pesticides. And in my opinion grass fed tastes better. Hope this helps.
    4Dimension Nutrition Rep
    Nutrition Consultant
    Performance Coach

KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000) KevJr88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    According to the USDA there is absolutely no difference. You can access the USDA nutrition database free of charge.
    Is thou perturbed, brethren? Come forth to a notable degree of proximity, male sibling!

fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fldhkybnva is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    IMO if you are using beef as a primary source of n-3, you are doing something wrong.
    ^^^ this. I have actually switched over to mostly grass fed beef at least but it's not for the increased omega 3 intake. While grass fed beef has more omega 3 and a better O3 and O6 ratio, the amount of unsaturated fat in beef is usually so minimal that it makes no difference. However, I enjoy grass fed beef for other reasons. I don't go out of my way to buy it, but have only recently transitioned to more grass fed as it's become more readily available in my local stores. I think it tastes great, also it is generally leaner with fewer calories, also I don't mind the fact that the animals are treated somewhat more kindly.

mdrsports31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mdrsports31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mdrsports31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by KevJr88 View Post
    According to the USDA there is absolutely no difference. You can access the USDA nutrition database free of charge.
    lol would u expect anything different from the USDA???? the same people that say saturated fat is bad for you and grains are good for you...gimme a break...and that vegetable oils are the best oils to cook w/ HA!
    NO Explode
    BSN Protein powder.

Myles Ricardo
    Loving life, doing it big.

kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kerplunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 4Dimension View Post
    There are higher levels of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) in grass fed beef versus conventional (feedlot) beef. The main thing is what's NOT in grass fed versus conventional beef. No hormones o pesticides. And in my opinion grass fed tastes better. Hope this helps.
    This is what I've heard as well.

dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000) dbp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here you go Op. Metastudy comparing the nutrient profiles between the two. It pretty much consistently favoured the grass fed stuff.

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/10

Research spanning three decades supports the argument that grass-fed beef (on a g/g fat basis), has a more desirable SFA lipid profile (more C18:0 cholesterol neutral SFA and less C14:0 & C16:0 cholesterol elevating SFAs) as compared to grain-fed beef. Grass-finished beef is also higher in total CLA (C18:2) isomers, TVA (C18:1 t11) and n-3 FAs on a g/g fat basis. This results in a better n-6:n-3 ratio that is preferred by the nutritional community. Grass-fed beef is also higher in precursors for Vitamin A and E and cancer fighting antioxidants such as GT and SOD activity as compared to grain-fed contemporaries.

Grass-fed beef tends to be lower in overall fat content, an important consideration for those consumers interested in decreasing overall fat consumption. Because of these differences in FA content, grass-fed beef also possesses a distinct grass flavor and unique cooking qualities that should be considered when making the transition from grain-fed beef. To maximize the favorable lipid profile and to guarantee the elevated antioxidant content, animals should be finished on 100% grass or pasture-based diets.

Grain-fed beef consumers may achieve similar intakes of both n-3 and CLA through consumption of higher fat portions with higher overall palatability scores. A number of clinical studies have shown that today's lean beef, regardless of feeding strategy, can be used interchangeably with fish or skinless chicken to reduce serum cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic patients.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Only difference I could see is less marbalization (fat in the muscle) in grass fed, causing it to be a bit leaner; that is just an assumption though.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by w8killer View Post

Thank you for your time.
    How is it that cattle were not meant to eat grain? The body's digest it quite well
    I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Gives Me Strength
    Phillipians 4:13

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by livetoliftsd View Post
    How is it that cattle were not meant to eat grain? The body's digest it quite well
    Ever seen Food Inc?

Yes I am wrong. They can in fact digest grain (corn) quite well. I just figure that it would be a bit more healthy for them and us if they had a grass fed diet.
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it's all there and it does NOT cost that much more. exemple: ground beef is in general $4.99 or less per lb
    and it taste much better and no water when you cook it... ( water= sign of hormones added)
    all cows not grass fed , ARE treated with antibiotics and hormones and fed with GMO grains, soy. since some of us eat A LOT of beef and other farm animals,
    might be smart to go "grass fed" (including chicken, organic raised pork etc)
    you also support family farms vs the big mighty industry

http://www.eatwild.com/basics.html

Back to Pasture. Since the late 1990s, a growing number of ranchers have stopped sending their animals to the feedlots to be fattened on grain, soy and other supplements. Instead, they are keeping their animals home on the range where they forage on pasture, their native diet. These new-age ranchers do not treat their livestock with hormones or feed them growth-promoting additives. As a result, the animals grow at a natural pace. For these reasons and more, grass-fed animals live low-stress lives and are so healthy there is no reason to treat them with antibiotics or other drugs.

More Nutritious. A major benefit of raising animals on pasture is that their products are healthier for you. For example, compared with feedlot meat, meat from grass-fed beef, bison, lamb and goats has less total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories. It also has more vitamin E, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and a number of health-promoting fats, including omega-3 fatty acids and “conjugated linoleic acid,” or CLA. Read more about the nutritional benefits of raising animals on pasture.

The Art and Science of Grassfarming. Raising animals on pasture requires more knowledge and skill than sending them to a feedlot. For example, in order for grass-fed beef to be succulent and tender, the cattle need to forage on high-quality grasses and legumes, especially in the months prior to slaughter. Providing this nutritious and natural diet requires healthy soil and careful pasture management so that the plants are maintained at an optimal stage of growth. Because high-quality pasture is the key to high-quality animal products, many pasture-based ranchers refer to themselves as "grassfarmers" rather than “ranchers.” They raise great grass; the animals do all the rest.

Factory Farming. Raising animals on pasture is dramatically different from the status quo. Virtually all the meat, eggs, and dairy products that you find in the supermarket come from animals raised in confinement in large facilities called CAFOs or “Confined Animal Feeding Operations.” These highly mechanized operations provide a year-round supply of food at a reasonable price. Although the food is cheap and convenient, there is growing recognition that factory farming creates a host of problems, including:
    • Animal stress and abuse
    • Air, land, and water pollution
    • The unnecessary use of hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs
    • Low-paid, stressful farm work
    • The loss of small family farms
    • Food with less nutritional value.

Unnatural Diets. Animals raised in factory farms are given diets designed to boost their productivity and lower costs. The main ingredients are genetically modified grain and soy that are kept at artificially low prices by government subsidies. To further cut costs, the feed may also contain “by-product feedstuff” such as municipal garbage, stale pastry, chicken feathers, and candy. Until 1997, U.S. cattle were also being fed meat that had been trimmed from other cattle, in effect turning herbivores into carnivores. This unnatural practice is believed to be the underlying cause of BSE or “mad cow disease.”

Animal Stress. A high-grain diet can cause physical problems for ruminants—cud-chewing animals such as cattle, dairy cows, goats, bison, and sheep. Ruminants are designed to eat fibrous grasses, plants, and shrubs—not starchy, low-fiber grain. When they are switched from pasture to grain, they can become afflicted with a number of disorders, including a common but painful condition called “subacute acidosis.” Cattle with subacute acidosis kick at their bellies, go off their feed, and eat dirt. To prevent more serious and sometimes fatal reactions, the animals are given chemical additives along with a constant, low-level dose of antibiotics. Some of these antibiotics are the same ones used in human medicine. When medications are overused in the feedlots, bacteria become resistant to them. When people become infected with these new, disease-resistant bacteria, there are fewer medications available to treat them.

Caged Pigs, Chickens, Ducks and Geese. Most of the nation’s chickens, turkeys, and pigs are also being raised in confinement. Typically, they suffer an even worse fate than the grazing animals. Tightly packed into cages, sheds, or pens, they cannot practice their normal behaviors, such as rooting, grazing, and roosting. Laying hens are crowded into cages that are so small that there is not enough room for all of the birds to sit down at one time. An added insult is that they cannot escape the stench of their own manure. Meat and eggs from these animals are lower in a number of key vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids.

Environmental Degradation. When animals are raised in feedlots or cages, they deposit large amounts of manure in a small amount of space. The manure must be collected and transported away from the area, an expensive proposition. To cut costs, it is dumped as close to the feedlot as possible. As a result, the surrounding soil is overloaded with nutrients, which can cause ground and water pollution. When animals are raised outdoors on pasture, their manure is spread over a wide area of land, making it a welcome source of organic fertilizer, not a “waste management problem.” Read more about the environmental differences between factory farming and grass-based production.

The Healthiest Choice. When you choose to eat meat, eggs, and dairy products from animals raised on pasture, you are improving the welfare of the animals, helping to put an end to environmental degradation, helping small-scale ranchers and farmers make a living from the land, helping to sustain rural communities, and giving your family the healthiest possible food. It’s a win-win-win-win situation.