Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    how do you know what works and what doesn't work? Usually adding an inch to your upper arms means putting on 12-15 pounds of mass overall. Arms don't magically grow, out of proportion to the rest of the body.
    one way assuming he is changing his workout at a reasonable amount of time for it to yield results is by keeping a log of what he did to show what was most effective.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by oldschool5919 View Post
    one way assuming he is changing his workout at a reasonable amount of time for it to yield results is by keeping a log of what he did to show what was most effective.
    But it reads to me like he is changing constantly, which wouldn't give sufficient time to measure results. He is probably buying into the "muscle confusion" myth.
    David

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    How do you know what works and what doesn't work? Usually adding an inch to your upper arms means putting on 12-15 pounds of mass overall. Arms don't magically grow, out of proportion to the rest of the body.
    I dunno 2nd, how do you explain these young dudes with big arms/chest yet no legs or back?
    On the list for Bannukah

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    I dunno 2nd, how do you explain these young dudes with big arms/chest yet no legs or back?
    I'm not saying that someone can't be disproportionate or lack symmetry. My point is that you're not going to add 1-2 inches on your arms of LBM without gaining weight overall.
    David

trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250) trans4mation has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It blows me away to see guys running around the gym with 18" arms yet are 5' 8" 165 lbs. It is what it is though, we are all genetically different and some guys are going to build big arms and not have to carry the same amount of overall bodyweight others do.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by trans4mation View Post
    It blows me away to see guys running around the gym with 18" arms yet are 5' 8" 165 lbs. It is what it is though, we are all genetically different and some guys are going to build big arms and not have to carry the same amount of overall bodyweight others do.
    I’ve gained a considerable amount of arm size without adding a huge amount more to my body weight.
    It is genetic, we’re all so different, you only have to look at the galley to see some quite big guys with surprisingly small arms.

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    While I think genetics play the absolute role in this discussion, something needs to be said for training - especially triceps. I see a swack of people complaining that they don't get big arms... and they almost always lack the rear head of their triceps - and when I look at how they train - they lack it there too.

That head is not going to get massive unless you're genetically disposed to it, or you target it through training.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by glyph98 View Post
    For me, I have to add about 10-15 pounds to my frame to increase my arms by 1 inch.
    Bingo. Applies to most people.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lets start to separate fact from fiction here, and clear up a very common misunderstanding about arm size:

how do you measure arm size? put a string around the arm with the biceps PEAKED, right? this is how we all do it...

but the problem, is that, anatomically, the bulk of the triceps is located higher up and closer to the shoulder girdle than the peak of the biceps....

no one measures by putting the string at a DIAGONAL....

What I am saying here, is that, yes, if you want to get technical, the triceps can make up 2/3 of the arm "size" overall, but the muscle extends from a very high point on the arm, all the way down to the elbow joint...

it is a LONG muscle, and occupies a lot of territory on the arm, BUT: in a standard arm measurement that people take, you are not really reflecting the true bulk of the muscle.

So: a person that builds up his biceps will see his arm "size" ( really, measurement ) go up, even if his triceps didn't grow considerably.....

this , of course, is why Bodybuilding is a 3 dimensional thing and with a series of "looks" or poses, the true dimensions of an arm are revealed...

Genetically, the shape, insertions, and origins of these muscles are pre- determined: so, training one of them excessively more than the other, is not always the way to go.

Training Triceps excessively, because it is takes up "2/3" of the arm bulk, can be COUNTER PRODUCTIVE.

Training of the arm should always be harmonious, and nature will take you where you are supposed to go with it....

and as mentioned already, like anything else in BB, it takes TIME....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post

Training Triceps excessively, because it is takes up "2/3" of the arm bulk, can be COUNTER PRODUCTIVE.

Training of the arm should always be harmonious, and nature will take you where you are supposed to go with it....

and as mentioned already, like anything else in BB, it takes TIME....
    Wise.
    CHECK OUT MY INTERVIEW WITH "SIMPLYSHREDDED"
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/ed-cook-interview.html

2009 Bodyspace Member of The Year!

http://www.********.com/group.php?gid=180967149598&v=info#/event.php?eid=264800703001&ref=nf

Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Retroplayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fit4life1991 View Post
    When you say 'first year' are you talking about your first year of serious training I assume lol? Because 14 inch arms to start with is ridiculous, mine started at 10 lol.
    Everyone is different, of course. I started out with 14" arms when I lost all my weight this summer. And until this last year, I have weight trained less than 1 year of my life (when I was 19) as well as being pretty sedentary. A normal body growth pattern is to add muscle and fat when gaining weight. Previously fat people will typically have quite a bit of muscle mass under there. I was 217 pounds. That would be like me wearing a 67lb weight vest every day of my life right now. Muscles are gonna grow. About 17lbs of that weight lost was muscle along with the fat.

Let's just say I was "bulking" for the last 20 years. lol