Ellie202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question New to the forum and looking for advice.

Hello! First of all, I am wondering how everyone is dealing with being stuck indoors during the fall/winter months! I love to exercise outdoors in warm weather (especially hiking and biking) but that is no longer an option now that it's cold outside.

So now I am preparing to return to the gym, where I spent a lot of time last winter and spring doing tons of cardio, but this time I want to focus more on weights, and try to build upper body strength. I am getting closer to the body weight/body fat I want to be at, so I think this could be a productive winter for me if I can just figure it all out.

My main question is this: should I keep working at the weight machines or should I go straight to free weights? I've never done bodybuilding before but I have a good muscle base just from my normal workouts, and I think my body would respond well if I worked at it.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is no correct answer, free weights and machines all have their place in a workout. I personally utilize both almost every workout, will typically start with free weights and finish up with machines, or I may superset between tham as well. All depends on what i'm working that day.

Ellie202 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tend to stick with the weight machines out of convenience. Probably time for me to put in the hours and get comfortable with free weights.

And it's odd because I can keep going forever when doing cardio, but I want to give up a lot sooner when working with weights. I suppose that's why I didn't get very far last spring.

coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100) coolio5 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Use a mix of both. Machines are great for legs, and there are cable moves that just can't be replicated with free weight, however
    dumbells are great for bicep work. Experiment and discover what feels right for you! that's what it's all about!!
    Originally Posted by Ellie202 View Post
    Hello! First of all, I am wondering how everyone is dealing with being stuck indoors during the fall/winter months! I love to exercise outdoors in warm weather (especially hiking and biking) but that is no longer an option now that it's cold outside.

So now I am preparing to return to the gym, where I spent a lot of time last winter and spring doing tons of cardio, but this time I want to focus more on weights, and try to build upper body strength. I am getting closer to the body weight/body fat I want to be at, so I think this could be a productive winter for me if I can just figure it all out.

My main question is this: should I keep working at the weight machines or should I go straight to free weights? I've never done bodybuilding before but I have a good muscle base just from my normal workouts, and I think my body would respond well if I worked at it.