struggling with diet Geoff Richards's Avatar
    Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000)

ITT we teach me how to squat

My knees were starting to hurt from squatting and from some research I came to the conclusion
    that my form was incorrect.
    It seems I was making the initial drop by my knees going forward rather than poking my backside
    out.

First time using video so possibly this is not the best angle.

I am using a small school chair as a box and using only the bar until I can get my form worked out.
    Prior to this I haven't been using a box,just going as low as I can.

Appreciate any help and or constructive criticism

*Compare yourself to yourself. Everyday become a stronger version of yourself.*

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here's a pretty good guide for low bar squatting... assuming you don't have a copy of Starting Strength, that is.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000) Geoff Richards is a name known to all. (+5000)
    thanks Michael,I have been doing quite a bit of reading but thinking I'm doing it right and actually doing right
    can be 2 different things

tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50) tatwizard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that a good guid for squat,bro
    Get Free Ebooks for Body Building and Fitness step-by-step
    Guide for newbie to professional
    http://www.takealike.com

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Foam roll. Sometimes your squat can be fine and your knees hurt any way. Mine have been hurting and I spent the past two days rolling and now they're fine.

Honestly I think you should reshoot the video with some weight on the bar.

Also, that's not really a box squat.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) N4M3T4K3N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^ this. Foam rolling is great

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Yep, and without the chair would also be better. A different angle (than 90 degrees) might help a bit as well.

Never have had the need (or desire, I guess) to do the foam roll thing. But, I know a lot of folks swear by it, therefore I'm not actually dismissing it at all. I just don't know how much it might or might not help, obviously.

67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 67ghiaTIV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am just starting out again after a long time off and found Mark Rippetoe videos very helpful. Get a copy of Serious Strength and check out his videos on youtube. He uses "hip drive". Lift the weight using your hips. My form is much better and the lifts feel strong.

Keep at it.

azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You need to be standing about a foot farther in front of the chair.

Your butt is still coming straight down, and your knees are moving forward.

If you move farther out in front of the chair, it will force you to sit back more.

Foam roll. Sometimes your squat can be fine and your knees hurt any way. Mine have been hurting and I spent the past two days rolling and now they're fine.

Also, that's not really a box squat.
    drudixon, see that's the thing,I think I'm doing it right,can you see where I'm going wrong ?

Originally Posted by 67ghiaTIV View Post
    I am just starting out again after a long time off and found Mark Rippetoe videos very helpful. Get a copy of Serious Strength and check out his videos on youtube. He uses "hip drive". Lift the weight using your hips. My form is much better and the lifts feel strong.

Keep at it.
    thanks ghia,yeah I have been watching those youtube vids,will keep checking them out

thanks

Originally Posted by azeeb View Post
    You need to be standing about a foot farther in front of the chair.

Your butt is still coming straight down, and your knees are moving forward.

If you move farther out in front of the chair, it will force you to sit back more.
    thanks for the pointer azeeb,I will try as you say tonight

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Geoff Richards View Post
    drudixon, see that's the thing,I think I'm doing it right,can you see where I'm going wrong ?

thanks ghia,yeah I have been watching those youtube vids,will keep checking them out

thanks

thanks for the pointer azeeb,I will try as you say tonight
    Well, we could critique the vid you posted, but it may change considerably once you add weight to the bar. It really doesn't look bad at all.

From there, what I can see is you're not leading with your ass. Ass starts both the ascent and descent. Like Azeeb said, sit back, not down. Your back arch and chest sticking out are great, but I'd like to see you get your wrists straight, it looks like they hurt. Your knees wobble laterally throughout the movement. Constantly push them outwards using your hips (that could be part of the problem). To be a box squat, you actually have to sit back and deload the weight to the box. I'm not sure I'd do that on a kids chair. Your toes point out a lot more than mine do, but I think width and toes is more a preference thing than anything.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Well, we could critique the vid you posted, but it may change considerably once you add weight to the bar. It really doesn't look bad at all.

From there, what I can see is you're not leading with your ass. Ass starts both the ascent and descent. Like Azeeb said, sit back, not down. Your back arch and chest sticking out are great, but I'd like to see you get your wrists straight, it looks like they hurt. Your knees wobble laterally throughout the movement. Constantly push them outwards using your hips (that could be part of the problem). To be a box squat, you actually have to sit back and deload the weight to the box. I'm not sure I'd do that on a kids chair. Your toes point out a lot more than mine do, but I think width and toes is more a preference thing than anything.
    thanks man,this is exactly the stuff I wanted to hear
    I will try a vid from a slightly diff angle with weight on the bar tonight minus the chair.
    My toes do point out quite a bit but I need that as I dont have much ankle flexibility.
    Sitting here getting ready for work I checked your comments about my wrists and I hadn't noticed
    that until now,practicing with an invisible bar holding my wrists straight I feel a lot of tension
    in my shoulder blades.Will start stretching to address this

thank you my friend
    (on charge)

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sit back further. Your first movement should be from the hips, not the knees. If you watch, your first movement it in the knees. That's a sure way to get yourself out of squatting alignment and make the knees push out past the toes.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    Sit back further. Your first movement should be from the hips, not the knees. If you watch, your first movement it in the knees. That's a sure way to get yourself out of squatting alignment and make the knees push out past the toes.
    thanks Simpy
    at work today and I keep practicing an invisible bar squat in the tool room making sure I push my backside out first
    at first I felt like I was tipping forwards but the idea seems to be sinking into my thick skull