wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wintersun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question What is the benefit of bulking and then cutting?

This might be a n00b question, but I dont understand the process of bulking and cutting to make gains.

For example, if one bulks 20 lbs, then cuts 15 lbs... why not just gain the 5 lbs slowly over time instead of going up and then down so drastically?

CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you "bulk" 20 Lbs and only gain 5 Lbs muscle, you are doing it wrong.

Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bulking maximizes muscle gain which is what we all want, although you get a similar rate of fat. 'Clean' bulking is the term used to slowly bulk until a desired goal, which consists on a 8-10% caloric surplus (in contrast to 20%).

Registered User aWellDressedApe's Avatar
    aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aWellDressedApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i like to cut then bulk, more beneficial? maybe

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cazax View Post
    Bulking maximizes muscle gain which is what we all want, although you get a similar rate of fat. 'Clean' bulking is the term used to slowly bulk until a desired goal, which consists on a 8-10% caloric surplus (in contrast to 20%).
    Where did you get this precise figure....

ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ResilientJay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would say you just gain more muscle and have more to work with when you are cut.

Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cazax is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Where did you get this precise figure....
    It was just a rough estimate, not intended to be precise reference.

Stephcoach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not sure but I still like to bulk up and then cut up the fat..
    Bench - 225
    DBP - 85

handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) handaid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For me there is a psychological motivational benefit to not super slow clean bulking because I am super skinny and really want to gain good looking weight feel me

texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you will have the best insulin sensitivity (aka, your body will be "primed" for lean mass gains) when you are somewhere in between high single digits bodyfat % and 15%, if you dreamer bulk into mid 20s% your ratio of LBM to fat gain will be less favorable

source: somewhere on lyle's website, too lazy to find. it's accurate.
    Johns Hopkins '16

JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm hijacking this thread. Still not sure about bulking and cutting. When you are lifting do you continue to eat over maintenance or do
    you start to cut when lifting ? When lifting while bulking do you lose fat and gain muscle?

Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JalapenoAngus View Post
    I'm hijacking this thread. Still not sure about bulking and cutting. When you are lifting do you continue to eat over maintenance or do
    you start to cut when lifting ? When lifting while bulking do you lose fat and gain muscle?
    Eating at a surplus + lifting = bulking. Depending on how much of a surplus you go, you can control how much fat you put on with muscle.

Eating at a deficit + lifting (could just eat at a deficit, but muscle mass wouldn't be preserved as much, am i right?) = cutting. You lose fat if done right and preserve muscle if you lift, but muscle will eventually be lost too.

Am I right? Someone confirm.

JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JalapenoAngus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Wakaaa View Post
    Eating at a surplus + lifting = bulking. Depending on how much of a surplus you go, you can control how much fat you put on with muscle.

Eating at a deficit + lifting (could just eat at a deficit, but muscle mass wouldn't be preserved as much, am i right?) = cutting. You lose fat if done right and preserve muscle if you lift, but muscle will eventually be lost too.

Am I right? Someone confirm.
    Thanks, makes sense. I have been bulking, I was a bit worried I was doing it wrong and just gaining fat as I wasn't seeing much definition but I'll just keep at it until I do.

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    depends o where you are in your development but personally i never bulk or cut anymore. i just eat at maintence all the time and stay relatively lean. i will adjust the amount of my cardio if i want to gain or lose a tiny bit of weight. i try to stay a pretty similar weight year-round