texasninja1225 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

very far shot put throw, can it change? help please

Hello, this is my first post so if it needs to change areas please feel free to but i figured this would go under sports but may fit under teen bodybuilding.
    Im 17, will be 18 in a few months.
    Goal: i want to increase my shot put distance. 45 is a low standard and if i can get any where from 48+ feet would be amazing.

Starting: currently on my very first meet i threw the shot put 40 feet 10.5 inches. My coach wasn't able to watch me and i have no videos. I do the kick technique. I asked my coach what i can do and he said over the next week he is going to watch my technique and see what i can work on to get the most out of it.

Question: Other than getting my kicking technique perfect, does any one know of any tips/tricks that can help me? at the moment my coaches said all i can do is work on my technique and build muscle. I can add a list of my weight routine on Monday when i get my paper its written on. (left it at school) So if you can write any thing at the moment, if you have experience that you personally went through that helped you that would be amazing or if you have anything to say im open all ears

Workout: i train with the sprinters/jumpers. They group us all in one. everyday i go to indoor track and everyday we have warm-ups then our cardio workout which is sprinting, or plyometrics or whatever the coach feels like training. I also have some days in between workouts where i practice my throwing (or jumping, i do the high jump also) and lastly i have a weight routine my coach gives me that i do 1-3 times a week depending on when we have meets/competitions. I personally dont do much of working out on the weekends because the majority of our meets are on saturdays at the moment. All though, if i have a meet on wednesday i will do a small workout with a 20 pound dumbell that includes curls/variations, tricept work and ill do push ups and variations of push-ups

Supplements: Just as of 12/7/12 receive my supplements from bodybuilding.com ! im starting to take whey phase by 4 dimension that i will be taking after my workouts and maybe in mornings.
    I also take hydroxycut hardcore elite. Now i know you may be thinking why am i taking a fat burner when building muscle, that makes no sense. Heres my reasoning: Im taking it so one i can have alittle increased energy and my body can fuel itself off of fat and carbs. It has yohimbe extract in it which i was taking daily anyway, but now i just rely on whats in the HHE. This pill basically helps wake me up especially since i usually dont have time to make coffee anymore and gets me threw long days. Feel free to comment on this ALSO, but not saying something just on this.
    I also take a multivitamin that i get from another source that my dad bought me, but probably will be switching off of it when i run out to optimen multivitamin on BB.com

Overall if you have ANY information that regards to my technique, my workout routine, or my supplements please let me know
    I am open to any and all information.

crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1) Get your lifting routine posted so that people can critique it.
    2) Lift heavy and often. Not this 1-3 times a week thing. You'll be fine for meets if are training 4-5 times a week. You're young, you'll bounce back quickly.
    3) Train for explosive power so you can drive through your legs.

Also, since you are 17 (almost 18), just lift heavy and eat. This is a great time for you to start putting on some muscle.

Originally Posted by crowaan View Post
    1) Get your lifting routine posted so that people can critique it.
    2) Lift heavy and often. Not this 1-3 times a week thing. You'll be fine for meets if are training 4-5 times a week. You're young, you'll bounce back quickly.
    3) Train for explosive power so you can drive through your legs.

Also, since you are 17 (almost 18), just lift heavy and eat. This is a great time for you to start putting on some muscle.
    I will post them tomorrow. Also i cant weight train every day because we aren't allowed in the school gym unless they go in there, which i think is stupid, but its for liability reasonings. Also sometimes we have meets 2 times a week so they dont want us sore for them. Usually wednesday/or thursday and then saturday meets.

What do i do thats good for explosive or what can i change when lifting weights for explosive power?
    I will say this. We have a bench press machine that i do my squats on and i LOVE doing squats. i probably do them more than what they tell me to do just because i love them so much and my legs are my favorite to train.
    p.s i eat alllooootttt and even more now that im training. And thank you for your help

crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Olympic lifts are good for explosive, will have to learn how to do those. And plyometrics, which you said you do sometimes at practice, are also helpful.

Because of the limited time you are allowed in your school gym, if you are serious about your sport, get a membership at one of your local gyms so you can train more often. And as I said, at your age your body will recover from workouts quickly so you can work out the day before a meet no problem. If really concerned, just do a lighter workout, leave a couple reps in the tank on each exercise.

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Work on full body strength and RFD. Get on a real routine like Defrancos WS4SB3 or Starr's 5x5. You could even do stronglifts. Perform explosive exercises to work on your rate of force development. Jumps, throws, slams, Olympic lifts, or tire flips. All good exercises. I'm a big time believer in simplicity, so that completely rules out oly lifting. You can get just as far by using jumps and med ball throws/slams, and they require a lot less form work. Plus, I don't care for the risk-reward ratio of oly lifts. You need to have a good trainer or coach to teach the form. If you can get that, they can be a big help. Otherwise, nope. Just my 2 pennies.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

I cant join a local gym because at the moment money is really tight, we actually just canceled our gym membership. Thats kind of the main reason for doing indoor track. I will definitely be training hard, and i train the hardest out of all the kids, except maybe a few of the long distance runners. Lastly, with oly lifts i dont use many free weights since we dont have many of them and im very bad balanced. So i dont think i can do an oly lift with anything but a free weight. I personally believe free weights is better for working out but i dont have the best of coaches to teach me anything good/advanced.

Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    Work on full body strength and RFD. Get on a real routine like Defrancos WS4SB3 or Starr's 5x5. You could even do stronglifts. Perform explosive exercises to work on your rate of force development. Jumps, throws, slams, Olympic lifts, or tire flips. All good exercises. I'm a big time believer in simplicity, so that completely rules out oly lifting. You can get just as far by using jumps and med ball throws/slams, and they require a lot less form work. Plus, I don't care for the risk-reward ratio of oly lifts. You need to have a good trainer or coach to teach the form. If you can get that, they can be a big help. Otherwise, nope. Just my 2 pennies.
    For this, is there a specific exercise program that either i could do at home with little to no equipment or that i can do at my school gym with mainly weight machines and some free weights? Is there also a exercise program that you really like and recommend ( that you think i can do majority of)? Also any idea on how i can get a tire that would be beneficial to use for tire flips? like i said earlier though money is tight, but i will try and look around at a few of my farm friends house and see if they got one they cant/dont use.
    Lastly, are squats, i think low bar is what i do, beneficial for this? i know doing any/most weight lifting can possibly help me some way or another, but i absolutely love doing squats and trying to get stronger with those. Some problems i have with them is with low bar it hurts my wrists some what even though im not really using my wrists other than placing the bar, and with high bar it hurts my shoulders too much. so any tips for squats will help. But im able to do many sets, with a decent chunk of weight on them without hurting my wrists. Basically my main issue is weak joints, but thats a whole other story.
    I really appreciate anything both of you can give me and what you have already told me. Thank you.

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Alright to start I would really recommend dropping the hydroxycut. You are probably hurting yourself right there. Its a diaretic meaning your getting rid of water. Your might be partially dehydrated 24/7 and not even know it.
    Another simple thing you can do is look to improve your release angle. Most people think the higher the better or 45 degrees is optimal but that is not right. Here is an explanation if you want it: http://www.technologyreview.com/view...inally-solved/ if you don't care to read all that the optimal angle of release is 37-38 degrees.
    Shot putting is a power movement so raw strength isn't as important. The more strength you have the greater potential for power but more strength doesn't guarantee more power. Focus on plyometrics upper and lower body. This will help generate power without having to be in the gym. You can do ballistic pushups and different types of medicine ball throws for upper body. For lower body doin box and depth jumps will help create that explosion. Concentrate on exploding through the motion in plyos. For example, when doing ballistic pushups: start at the top of the pushup and go down, when you hit the bottom your goal is not to pause but shoot back up as fast as you can minimizing the pause between going down and going up. You are also trying to minimize the time you spend going back up while maximizing how far your hands come off the ground.
    When you get to the gym save squats for your second lift and start out with power snatches or power cleans with jerk. Also try to incorporate shoulders into your workout but don't work them on back to back days. The glenohumeral joint can be prone to injury.
    Hope this helps good luck.
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by texasninja1225 View Post
    For this, is there a specific exercise program that either i could do at home with little to no equipment or that i can do at my school gym with mainly weight machines and some free weights? Is there also a exercise program that you really like and recommend ( that you think i can do majority of)? Also any idea on how i can get a tire that would be beneficial to use for tire flips? like i said earlier though money is tight, but i will try and look around at a few of my farm friends house and see if they got one they cant/dont use.
    Lastly, are squats, i think low bar is what i do, beneficial for this? i know doing any/most weight lifting can possibly help me some way or another, but i absolutely love doing squats and trying to get stronger with those. Some problems i have with them is with low bar it hurts my wrists some what even though im not really using my wrists other than placing the bar, and with high bar it hurts my shoulders too much. so any tips for squats will help. But im able to do many sets, with a decent chunk of weight on them without hurting my wrists. Basically my main issue is weak joints, but thats a whole other story.
    I really appreciate anything both of you can give me and what you have already told me. Thank you.
    First off, obtaining a tire is relatively simple but can be a hassle to transport it home. Look around and find a shop in your town that deals big tires for trucks and tractors. Those places will always have a big pile of used old tires that have no use anymore. They must pay to have them removed so they are more than thrilled to allow you to take them. Just get a pickup truck or rent a truck from the Home Depot and get that sucker home. Get to flippin!

I'm not aware of any home workout routines other than P90X and Insanity. Those aren't exactly ideal for sports though. What equipment do you have available? If I can get a a rough draft of the stuff you can work with, I can write you up an exact routine. Refer to blitz post. Hit the nail right on the head.

GJ on liking squats. I personally hate them but you gotta do them! Low bar will bring your posterior chain into the movement and high bar will isolate the quads more. Low bar squats are considered superior by many, but it depends on several factors. Weaknesses, goal, comfortable with... A squat is ultimately a squat, but there are differences. My best advice is to do the one you are more comfortable with. Maybe look into some fish oil and glucosamine for those joints. Have you seen a doc about the joints?
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Ok sorry if i miss a point of 2. But i will definitely get off the hydroxycut, i did forget to mention i take creatine monohydrate. i have a bottle i ordered through here that holds 25 oz that i usually drink 3-4 between 6 am-1pm then i stop and drink through out track and i dont monitor alot after that but i know i drink lol, thank you concern, but i will get off the hydroxycut.
    Thanks for the article, i will definitely read it when i get home from school later and i was always told 45, thats very cool to learn other wise and pumped to read what it has to say.
    For plyo's i only do them with the team usually, but i will be looking up some basic routines that i may be able to do at my house for sundays and days where i want more working out. When i do normal push ups those are how i do them so its good to know im doing something thats helping me. Also is i was told the clap push up is helpful, do you guys agree? Also i do a few shoulder workouts depending on how they feel that my coaches dont make me do such as should rotation with 45s in each hand. Lastly thank you for the warning on the joint injury possibility. And i will definitely take in all that you said blitz and incorporate it into my workouts one way or another. Thank you

RollTide that is really good to know bout that tires. I will first see if any of my farmer friends have one cause if they do they most likely got the truck to bring it over. My dad has a truck but i dont think it would fit well. If none of them can give me one ill ask a tire shop or where has one but i think i got the perfect friend whose got one .
    As for equipment i do have one 20 pound free weight that i usually do curls and different little exercises, i have a home made pull up bar outside but im really weak upper body compared to my weight so i cant do many. i Dont really have anything else. Im trying to see when my friend has time cause he said he would drop off a free weight curl bar, or like a bench press bar with a few weights. Lastly only other equipment is a 12 pound shot put haha.
    For the squats thats whats most people are recommending me, just do whats most comfortable.
    Lastly for the joints i was taking a fish oil but my whey protien actually has 2gs of fat that has EFA's so im not taking fish oil much as for also when i took them i got the nasty fish oil burp and i have always gotten that no matter what brand. And i did take a glucosamine/ mix of others that had aloooottt of joint relief supplements that i was taking which helped and im waiting for my dad to order it.
    As for the doctor, my shoulder ive never see really except when i dislocated it, which since then its been problematic every now and then cause of that even but it doesnt hinder my workouts much. For the knee ive lost hope on. Ive had a 1-2 xrays on my hip, and 1-2 xrays on my knee and an mri on my knee and a blood test to see if there was anything that may be causing this. ive gone to 2 different doctors. im actually about to do t-band or i think terry band exercises for my shoulder that our school doctor is giving me.
    So at the moment im not really doing much with my joints as of doctors and i will be taking supplements soon, and thank you both for everything. if theres any other things you can recommend or you need to know, just ask.

Kylegmoore71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kettlebells.....a throwers best friend

Given your limited gym time, I would highly recommend getting yourself 2 or 3 kettlebells and working with them alot. Alot of coaches call these PUDS, but you can do them anywhere that has grass and you can really work on specific strength and explosion. I work all of my throwers at least 2 or 3 times a week with them. You can look up all of the kettlebell workouts in the world. I've listed a few that I recommend.

Kettlebell Swings - one hand, and two hands

Kettlebell Clean - I prefer 1 hand at a time

Kettlebell Toss - Basically you do a clean and then throw the kettlebell as high as you can straight up in the air.

The biggest key is to maintain good form at all times. Practice showing a big chest and keep your butt out at all times. This will help you prevent injuring yourself. Also, do the tosses with as much speed, explosion, and aggresion as possible. Do not be afraid to give a serious grunt!! Keep up the sprint training too.

I stand behind the above poster about kettlebells. If you can find an exercise equipment store near you, jump on that bandwagon. Just try to avoid major sporting good stores like academy and dicks. I got a 35lb KB for $42 exactly. Same weight KB was $60 at academy and $80 at dicks.

Check out the website rosstraining.com. Ross enamait trains a lot of athletes and has a ton of ideas to train with cheap alternatives. You can look into home made med balls, sandbags, tires, sledgehammers, and wheels (roll outs). Hope this helps!
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Kyle -i looked up the kettlebell exercises and realized one i used to do when i did have a membership to the ymca.
    Roll- i will check that website out tomorrow as in today i have a meet today and wont be home untill midnight.
    Ill definitely post my results. hopefully just the few days of training with what i could with what you guys said will help although i am alittle sick which may hinder me.
    I love kettlebells and will be on the look out for a few i was going to probably get some after xmas if i got enough money will post late tonight or tomorrow morning thank you guys.

No problem. Happy to help!
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10) NewlyImproved is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb

Eat food, food, and more fOod. When you are toO full to eat then drink milk. The two national class discus guys I know hate food because they eat soo much. I lived with one. He drank a gallon of whole milk a day and ate a FULL hamburger helper with dinner. All this- and shot guys eat more than discus.

The two universal shot put rules:

1. Don't take a crap before you throw.

2. Never carry your shot around in your throwing hand.

That is all.
    "The process is the goal"

Current PR's
    Bench: 240
    Squat: 385
    Dead Lift: 390
    Mile:4:26
    5K: 15:18