JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000)

Super-High Volume Training Experiment [Log]

What I'm doing.

In this log I intend to practice a super-high volume training regimen that incorporates the very high volume training methods popularised by GHV training, with the daily undulating periodisation style advocated by Dr. Layne Norton and Dr Mike Zourdos of Florida Atlantic University.

Why I'm doing it.

My aim is to observe the extent of lean muscle gain, strength gains and body fat loss under the aforementioned training schedule.
    This will be measurable through the undertaking of DEXA scans before and after the program.

Further to this, I wish to observe the onset and effects (if any) of overtraining and its subsequent effects on my progress, measured by strength progression to various degrees.

Most of all I want a challenge. I want to do something different, and to dare to do what many others have not done.

How I'm doing it

I have constructed the following weekly workout plan that allows for:
    Chest x3 training
    Triceps x3
    Forearms x3
    Calves x2
    Hamstrings x2
    Quads x3
    Back x3
    Biceps x3
    Abs x3
    Delts x2
    Traps x1

The reduced volume of leg training is due to my perception that my legs are currently a strength of mine in comparison to other muscle groups that I seek to advance by priority.

The reduced volume of shoulder training is due to the nature of high volumes of chest and back training, which ideally will engage them regularly throughout the week despite their lessened regularity.

The rep range and method will vary so as to incorporate undulating periodisation. Warmups of 5-10 rep speedwork is to be coupled with sets in the 3-5 rep range for strength as well as sets in the 8-14-failure range to incorporate ideal ranges for hypertrophy training.

More information to follow, but for now ...

LET US BEGIN

Notes:
    - I intend to supplement with WPI, a multivitamin and creatine monohydrate.
    - My caloric intake will be kept at maintenance, with macros of 40/40/20
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

****Misc President 2017****

I make the best threads.
    All other threads: Fake Threads!

JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000) JayGH is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Chest, Triceps, Calves and Hamstrings

Dumbbell Press x3
    Incline Bench Press x4
    Wide Dips x4
    Flys x4
    Skullcrushers x4
    Close Dips x4
    Cable Pushdowns x4
    Seated Calf Raises x4
    Standing Calf Raises x3
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts x3
    Glute Ham Raises (substituted with Weighted Lunges because I physically could not complete the GHR's) x3

Comments: I know from the beginning that this is going to be a particularly taxing challenge for me. Upon completion of this workout, I could scarcely recall a recent occasion that I had felt less physically and mentally exhausted than this time.

That being said, I felt fantastic mind-muscle connection by the end of the work-out as well as a pump greater than any which I have experienced recently.

The specifics of reps and weight lifted have been noted in a spreadsheet for my compilation

Pics, weigh in and DEXA results to follow.

Further,

Your input is greatly encouraged and appreciated. Recommendations, motivation and comments are all welcome!
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

I make the best threads.

Day 2

Back, Biceps and Forearms

Pullups x3
    Rack Pulls x4
    Rack Chins x4
    Closegrip Seated Row x3
    Lat Pushdown x4 (dropset on final)
    Bar Curls x4
    EZ-Curl Bar Curls x3
    Single Arm Cable Curl x3
    Hammer Curls x4 (dropset on final)
    Cable Wrist Curls x2
    Palms Up Curl on Bench x2
    Farmers Walk x2 (over 15m)

Comment: Not quite the same pump as I experienced in the previous workout, and not quite as taxing on the biceps in particular. Back felt good with a good connection and some DOMS the following day (today). Will definitely be doing more Farmers Walks, as this was a decent challenge of my grip strength which I would like to better.

A good start so far.
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

I make the best threads.

DXA Scan Results:

Body Fat %: 12%
    Total Mass: 83212 gms
    Total Lean Mass: 71569 gms
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

I make the best threads.

Stop Hating Start Lifting zakatak333's Avatar
    zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JayGH View Post
    Most of all I want a challenge. I want to do something different, and to dare to do what many others have not done.
    in for this
    The muscles i value most are the ones directly surrounding the spine, the hips, the scapula, the femur and the tibia... in that order.

Basically the whole body minus chest and biceps... pretty much the opposite of what your local gym looks like on a typical Monday.

Day Three

Chest, Triceps and Quads

Bench x 4
    Incline Dumbbells x 4
    Dumbbell Pullovers x 3 (dropset final set)
    Cable Flys x 4 (dropset final set)
    Close-grip dips x 3
    Behind Neck Dumbell Tricep Extension x 3
    Hack Squats x 4
    Squats x 5
    Leg Press x 2

Comments: Would have liked to have added an extra exercise for triceps, however I'm happy with the volume up until now.
    Squat for the first time in at least three months, managed to get 265 raw for 1, and 242 for 5.
    Bench peaked at 200lbs, hopefully cant get this up quickly. Was benching 220 for ~4 prior to time off.
    All in all, still a good start.
    Feeling good.
    Last edited by JayGH; 12-08-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

I make the best threads.

Day Four

Back and Delts

Deadlifts x 5
    Barbell Low Row x 3
    Lat Pulldown x 4
    Dumbbell Row x 4
    Front Raises x 3
    Side Raises x 3
    Reverse Flys x 3

Comments: OK, so no, this is certainly not super high volume. Twenty Five sets only, due to being pressed for time before getting to work.
    Was a little bit disappointed to say the least. Will certainly be looking to up my game in the delts department. I wanted to get some Shoulder press in there.
    On a brighter note, first time back deadlifting and I managed to get 330lbs up.

Definitely looking to up my lifts on the big 3, Squat, Dead and Bench. Hopefully on my way to doing so, through incorporating a lower rep range.
    Last edited by JayGH; 12-08-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

I make the best threads.

Day Five

Chest, Biceps, Quads and Calves

Bench Press x 5
    Hammer Strength Press x 4
    Machine Pec Flys x3 (dropset final set)
    Dips x 3
    Barbell Curls x 3 (dropset final set)
    Hammer Curls x 3 (dropset final set)
    Drag Curls x 3 (dropset final set)
    Seated Calf Raises x 3 (d.f.s)
    Standing Calf Raise x 3 (d.f.s)
    Hack Squats x 3
    Squats x 3

Comments: 36 sets going hard out, safe to say I broke a decent sweat. Highlights include a 220lb bench which hopefully puts me on my way to getting that weight right up.

On a side note, nutrition coming together also. Keeping carbs to Low GI pre-workout, and High GI pwo. (Bran cereal and dextrose). Loading creatine at present also. Feelsgoodman!
    MAKE MISC GREAT AGAIN

I make the best threads.