Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Lean gains beginner, gains/month?

Hey

I just started working out since the first of december, I'm bulking using Intermittent Fasting.
    So friday I'm gonna weigh myself to see if I made progress. (2 weeks)
    Now I hear people say you should aim for 1 lbs a month, but I'm guessing this is for more experienced bb's.
    What should I aim for? I'm trying not to put on too much fat, I work out 4 times a week (each bodypart twice a week).

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The guidelines don't change for IF, you could probably gain 2-3lbs a month as a novice and it would mostly be lean.

Registered User Lincoln Biscuit's Avatar
    Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Lincoln Biscuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) I would recommend that you put on 1 pound a week of weight with 0.5lbs or muscle and the same of fat. If your only putting on 1 lb of weight a month then your severely cramping your muscle gain. IF is fine but it won't make a difference. Martin Berkham says that 'muscle gain is slow, but fat gain is non-existant'. Personally i'd prefer you eat slightly more and gain more muscle quicker (with a bit of fat) and then cut it off later. Thats way better than restricting calories on rest days like MB does: especially if your a beginner.

2) Weight is very variable. If your only weighing once every week then expect massive derivations from the amount of salt and carbs you ate the night before (as well as the timing of them). it really is an unreliable indicator.

3) If you want to put on more muscle then you will put on more fat. IF won't make you gain more muscle without fat. Eating within in a set period doesn't allow you to put on less fat if the calorie surplus is the same. What MB's protocall does is allow you to put on slow muscle gain without fat.

I love If, its a great way of eating (i use it myself all the time), but its not optimal for the beginner wanting to put on muscle. If you dont want to put on fat then eat less. You will gain less fat but you will also gain less muscle.
    Last edited by Lincoln Biscuit; 12-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sreppah is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Lincoln Biscuit View Post
    1) I would recommend that you put on 1 pound a week of weight with 0.5lbs or muscle and the same of fat. If your only putting on 1 lb of weight a month then your severely cramping your muscle gain. IF is fine but it won't make a difference. Martin Berkham says that 'muscle gain is slow, but fat gain is non-existant'. Personally i'd prefer you eat slightly more and gain more muscle quicker (with a bit of fat) and then cut it off later. Thats way better than restricting calories on rest days like MB does: especially if your a beginner.

2) Weight is very variable. If your only weighing once every week then expect massive derivations from the amount of salt and carbs you ate the night before (as well as the timing of them). it really is an unreliable indicator.

3) If you want to put on more muscle then you will put on more fat. IF won't make you gain more muscle without fat. Eating within in a set period doesn't allow you to put on less fat if the calorie surplus is the same. What MB's protocall does is allow you to put on slow muscle gain without fat.

I love If, its a great way of eating (i use it myself all the time), but its not optimal for the beginner wanting to put on muscle. If you dont want to put on fat then eat less. You will gain less fat but you will also gain less muscle.
    Yeah, I'm not doing IF cuz I think ill put on less fat this way. I just do IF because I love eating big meals