Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    I am 41 years old (42 in January), and I am 5'-11" and 245 pounds, and my bodyfat percentage is about 34%. I would like to lose bodyfat and gain muscle and become a bodybuilder and win some amateur contests. I want to stay natural. Here's a little bit about my background: When I was 25, I could do 125 pushups, I was 160 pounds, and I could do 15 pullups. I was in the best shape of my life. Over time, I got locked up and forced to take psyche meds that made me gain weight. I switched to a different medication and now my weight has stabilized. If I lost most of my bodyfat I wouldn't be an extremely muscular guy; my arms right now are fifteen and a half inches, but some of that is fat. This semester at my junior college I'm taking a weight training class, and I've been making gains. At one point, I was squatting with 95 pounds at the beginning of the semester, now I can squat 155 pounds.

What I want to know is: can a guy my age become a bodybuilder? Am I too old to put on new muscle? I need some encouragement. Can you give me examples of people who started lifting at or after age 40?
    First of all, by "bodybuilding" do you mean going all the way and competing? Or do you mean getting fit, strong, muscular and reasonably lean? Because, happily the answer is yes and yes. A 41 year old man can do either. The question isn't whether a 41 year old man can do it, the question is can YOU? And only you can decide that and follow through but yes Ace, you can do it if you want to.

I just competed three weeks ago for my first time at age 51 although I've trained and stayed fit since about age 18. My normal state is about 195lbs and 11% or so. I'm still at my post-show condition of about 180lbs/7% which I've decided I like a lot more so I'm going to stay that way. Period. It really is a matter of will. I simply have to keep training in the way that grows and maintains my muscle and eat properly which is to say correctly to fulfill that mission. Which of those two parts of the equation do you think requires the greater discipline? Think it's 50/50, 40/60, 20/80? Hard fact of life is at 51 it's 10% training/90% diet. See how experienced guys talk about it? It's not some mysterious thing that may or may not happen. Simply do the homework, get some help and guidance with technique and diet and then, the hard part DO it both in and out of the gym.

Beyond that, have realistic expectations. A 41 year man at 34% getting serious for the first time in his life is not going see his dream image in the mirror in 3 months, or even 6 but more like a year. But you WILL begin to see results in the weeks and months to come that are steadily improving. You'll begin to hear from others you look different, better and take those to heart 'cause they see more objectively what you cannot...yet. Keep the discipline and stay the course and you'll get there. The time's gonna pass whether you do or don't, right?
    It's 80% diet, 20% workout and 100% in the mind.

If you can read or carry on a conversation, you ain't working out.

To be different the only thing you have to do is stand fast when the herd moves.

Parking your s**t on a bench ain't the same thing as using it!

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MarkS51 View Post
    First of all, by "bodybuilding" do you mean going all the way and competing? Or do you mean getting fit, strong, muscular and reasonably lean? Because, happily the answer is yes and yes. A 41 year old man can do either. The question isn't whether a 41 year old man can do it, the question is can YOU? And only you can decide that and follow through but yes Ace, you can do it if you want to.

I just competed three weeks ago for my first time at age 51 although I've trained and stayed fit since about age 18. My normal state is about 195lbs and 11% or so. I'm still at my post-show condition of about 180lbs/7% which I've decided I like a lot more so I'm going to stay that way. Period. It really is a matter of will. I simply have to keep training in the way that grows and maintains my muscle and eat properly which is to say correctly to fulfill that mission. Which of those two parts of the equation do you think requires the greater discipline? Think it's 50/50, 40/60, 20/80? Hard fact of life is at 51 it's 10% training/90% diet. See how experienced guys talk about it? It's not some mysterious thing that may or may not happen. Simply do the homework, get some help and guidance with technique and diet and then, the hard part DO it both in and out of the gym.

Beyond that, have realistic expectations. A 41 year man at 34% getting serious for the first time in his life is not going see his dream image in the mirror in 3 months, or even 6 but more like a year. But you WILL begin to see results in the weeks and months to come that are steadily improving. You'll begin to hear from others you look different, better and take those to heart 'cause they see more objectively what you cannot...yet. Keep the discipline and stay the course and you'll get there. The time's gonna pass whether you do or don't, right?

Sadly, most fat guys in their 40s who just decide one day to become BBers, 99.9999999999 of the time, eat their first cheat meal the next day (or later that same day), and the notion of being fit dies as the first piece of garbage food is sent down the pipe.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks for the advice, I rep'd+ you!
    “If you are born to the iron, you’ll know it the first time you lift” —-Joe Weider

Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ace Corona has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Sadly, most fat guys in their 40s who just decide one day to become BBers, 99.9999999999 of the time, eat their first cheat meal the next day (or later that same day), and the notion of being fit dies as the first piece of garbage food is sent down the pipe.
    Thanks for the warning, I'm mainly concentrating on training, I'm taking a weightlifting class at my junior college and I'm seeing strength gains. I do need to concentrate on my diet, though.
    “If you are born to the iron, you’ll know it the first time you lift” —-Joe Weider

MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No doubt, which is why I've said for years I wouldn't want to be a 40something guy just trying to get fit for the first time in his life. For me, and maybe you too, fitness is a habit, just who I am since 18 but for them? They have to overthrow all of theirs and go in the opposite direction. It would be hard as anybody who's had to change a lifetime of thinking about anything knows. Isn't that really why we admire the ones who achieve it?

To be different the only thing you have to do is stand fast when the herd moves.

No doubt, which is why I've said for years I wouldn't want to be a 40something guy just trying to get fit for the first time in his life. For me, and maybe you too, fitness is a habit, just who I am since 18 but for them? They have to overthrow all of theirs and go in the opposite direction. It would be hard as anybody who's had to change a lifetime of thinking about anything knows. Isn't that really why we admire the ones who achieve it?
    I kicked a drug/alcohol habit, and I smoked cigarettes for 20 years, and I was able to successfully quit 5 years ago and haven't smoked since, I think I can kick junk food if I try hard enough. Thank you and Brackneyc for the prod to quit the junk food! I'll give it my best, and your input motivates me!

Thanks for the warning, I'm mainly concentrating on training, I'm taking a weightlifting class at my junior college and I'm seeing strength gains. I do need to concentrate on my diet, though.
    Without a serious adjustment to diet all the hard work will go for naught. Conversely, nothing can change your appearance FASTER than changing the diet while doing the hard work. You'll be building the muscle and simultaneously shrinking the excess. It's also a mental victory which tends to build on itself. If you work your ass off and then go home and eat wrong, deep down inside you know it's counterproductive, yes? So, now you're at odds with yourself and which does your own track record show will win? Keeping up the hard work knowing it's not getting you very far or following the path of least resistance in the opposite direction after the gym and eating whatever pleases you?

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My only saving grace prior to losing the last 90lbs was the fact that I had established myself (at one time) as a "lifter" for about 10 years. I knew "how" to do it, but lacked application of the supporting essentials...diet, less drinking and getting some sleep. Now, sadly, my diet is about all that is left to conquer, and I am not winning. I am still in the game, so there is hope.

Thanks for sharing this warning, I rep'd+ you for it. As of today, no junk food any more!

My only saving grace prior to losing the last 90lbs was the fact that I had established myself (at one time) as a "lifter" for about 10 years. I knew "how" to do it, but lacked application of the supporting essentials...diet, less drinking and getting some sleep. Now, sadly, my diet is about all that is left to conquer, and I am not winning. I am still in the game, so there is hope.
    Ahhh, I see. Your first reply was a little SELF-admonishment then, huh? Well, your stats aren't too far out of line and you've come a long way. Congrats for that.

Diet is always an issue. Little by slowly I'm slacking since the show. Now my threshold of cheating is probably a LOT lower than others but still, it's the hardest part. Last night I had about two dozen m&ms and even a few ozs of ice cream for the first time in a year. I was chagrined and ashamed. Difference is I know I'm going to burn it off today. That and in the next couple of weeks we're gonna pick a show date and it's back on program for real. Right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern, eating clean for bulk and training but it's not formal, yet.

A few years back a dude my age came up to me in the gym and said something about how disciplined I was. I said, "nah, this here is habit, it's when I walk out that door it gets hard". And that's the truth, diet is everything. Have you ever thought about competing? Just as a fitness achievement, maybe? Because nothing in 35 years made me focus and discipline myself like having a show date. Besides enjoying that moment in the sun, it's really why I'm doing another. I now know that if I have a competition six months out I will be in top condition from here to there and reinforcing good habits every minute of the way. Might be the way to finally overcome that mental block.

Ahhh, I see. Your first reply was a little SELF-admonishment then, huh? Well, your stats aren't too far out of line and you've come a long way. Congrats for that.

Diet is always an issue. Little by slowly I'm slacking since the show. Now my threshold of cheating is probably a LOT lower than others but still, it's the hardest part. Last night I had about two dozen m&ms and even a few ozs of ice cream for the first time in a year. I was chagrined and ashamed. Difference is I know I'm going to burn it off today. That and in the next couple of weeks we're gonna pick a show date and it's back on program for real. Right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern, eating clean for bulk and training but it's not formal, yet.

A few years back a dude my age came up to me in the gym and said something about how disciplined I was. I said, "nah, this here is habit, it's when I walk out that door it gets hard". And that's the truth, diet is everything. Have you ever thought about competing? Just as a fitness achievement, maybe? Because nothing in 35 years made me focus and discipline myself like having a show date. Besides enjoying that moment in the sun, it's really why I'm doing another. I now know that if I have a competition six months out I will be in top condition from here to there and reinforcing good habits every minute of the way. Might be the way to finally overcome that mental block.
    You haven't had junk food in a year? That shows a lot of discipline. I want to follow in your footsteps! I want to see if I can go a year without junk food.

You haven't had junk food in a year? That shows a lot of discipline. I want to follow in your footsteps! I want to see if I can go a year without junk food.
    Uhhhh, I didn't say THAT. I meant specifically ice cream. I had 3 slices of pizza after my show and a few slices of pecan pie over thanksgiving. See, when you stay truly fit you can have whatever you want, just not in outrageous quantities all the time. I'll go days eating only my planned diet and if the mood strikes, have a little something when I'm not in show training. And my body just burns it up because the next day I'm back to 5 clean meals and two sessions at the gym. It's not an issue for me unless I start to cheat ALL THE TIME and then it's not cheating any more, it's becoming my diet.

So it's more in the head, just as we learned that alcoholics are somebody who thinks about drinking or NOT drinking all the time, so too is the junk food addict. You know? A non-alcoholic might have a drink this weekend, maybe he won't. He doesn't know until the question arises because it's not an obsession with him. He doesn't have to tell himself he's NOT gonna drink or plan when he will and how much. If he does have one or two, no big deal and if he doesn't, it's all the same but he'll decide if and when the time comes and not give it another thought before or after. That's how you get with food after awhile once you discipline your mind about it.

Eat to live, not live to eat.

BTW, been a Friend of Bill's since 3/16/85.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was a buck thirty in my forties(illness). Started serious training in my fifties, just sayin'.

If you have self motivation and self belief, you can transform yourself.

If you worry about what others might think, and don't believe you can transform yourself..............

........well, you know the rest.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

I had oatmeal for breakfast mixed with a protein shake, and for lunch (after reading your post), I had tuna mixed with brown rice. I am making a commitment to stay away from junk food!

I had oatmeal for breakfast mixed with a protein shake, and for lunch (after reading your post), I had tuna mixed with brown rice. I am making a commitment to stay away from junk food!

Get the diet in check, and rest is easy. I say that because you spend an hour or so working out, and the other 23 hours with your diet and your thoughts.

AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP, at 39 (last year), I was 200 lbs at 5'6" and probably 35% BF. In other words, I was round and out of shape. I had some fair underlying muscle so I could pass a military fitness test and could run a decent 1.5 mile, relative to the average population. I decided that I had to do better. Started running 3-4x week over the winter which proved to be a valuable conditioning period. In late March, I finally made a commitment to go to the gym and to eat better. I more or less gave up alcohol, soda, and most sweets and went to the gym 5-6x per week, averaging 60-75 minutes each time. In June, I started running to the gym (1 1/4 miles one way) and lifting for about 60 minutes. Over the summer, I lifted about 5x/week and averaged 15-20 miles of running each week with my one long run each week of about 6-8 miles. Then I injured my foot in August and focused exclusively on lifting.

Now, I'm 40, 162lbs, about 12.7% BF (maybe a bit under, haven't measured recently), and have put on considerable muscle. I went from having pants with a 36" waist being tight to wearing 30" waist pants (actual measured waist size is 31", used to be close to 38"). I still can't run, but I lift 5-6x/week and can now do 15+ pullups in one go when before I could barely manage one. I've cleaned up my diet but that's still a work in progress. My abs are slowly emerging, and I have veins showing on my arms that I have never seen before along with contours in my body that are brand new. I have had to WORK MY ASS OFF (literally and figuratively), but it has been worth all the effort I have expended and will expend in the future. I am aiming to earn a personal training certification next year and looking to enter some bodybuilding competitions by the end of next year if my training and diet continue as I plan.

Bottomline: Is it possible? Yes, it's possible, but it takes a considerable commitment, enormous amounts of hard work, and a mindset focused on what's important. There really isn't a mystery to looking good and feeling good physically, but the vast majority of people are not willing to put forth the effort to achieve it or to give up the nasty foods that prevent it. Good luck.

MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreRepsToday has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    youtube.com/watch?v=gKLY9HfNrT8&feature=g-high-rec

Here's a guy your age who wanted to compete. Decide for yourself if you want it that bad.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck Ace. Bodybuilding is a great hobby.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JRT6 View Post
    If you're going to ask a dick question be sure to ask it in the dickest way possible so that it sounds like it's coming from a true dick.
    they do try hard don't they.... smh

to the OP, of course you can, all depends on how bad you want it and what you're willing to
    do to get it. good luck with it.

Originally Posted by AndrewR770 View Post
    OP, at 39 (last year), I was 200 lbs at 5'6" and probably 35% BF. In other words, I was round and out of shape. I had some fair underlying muscle so I could pass a military fitness test and could run a decent 1.5 mile, relative to the average population. I decided that I had to do better. Started running 3-4x week over the winter which proved to be a valuable conditioning period. In late March, I finally made a commitment to go to the gym and to eat better. I more or less gave up alcohol, soda, and most sweets and went to the gym 5-6x per week, averaging 60-75 minutes each time. In June, I started running to the gym (1 1/4 miles one way) and lifting for about 60 minutes. Over the summer, I lifted about 5x/week and averaged 15-20 miles of running each week with my one long run each week of about 6-8 miles. Then I injured my foot in August and focused exclusively on lifting.

Now, I'm 40, 162lbs, about 12.7% BF (maybe a bit under, haven't measured recently), and have put on considerable muscle. I went from having pants with a 36" waist being tight to wearing 30" waist pants (actual measured waist size is 31", used to be close to 38"). I still can't run, but I lift 5-6x/week and can now do 15+ pullups in one go when before I could barely manage one. I've cleaned up my diet but that's still a work in progress. My abs are slowly emerging, and I have veins showing on my arms that I have never seen before along with contours in my body that are brand new. I have had to WORK MY ASS OFF (literally and figuratively), but it has been worth all the effort I have expended and will expend in the future. I am aiming to earn a personal training certification next year and looking to enter some bodybuilding competitions by the end of next year if my training and diet continue as I plan.

Bottomline: Is it possible? Yes, it's possible, but it takes a considerable commitment, enormous amounts of hard work, and a mindset focused on what's important. There really isn't a mystery to looking good and feeling good physically, but the vast majority of people are not willing to put forth the effort to achieve it or to give up the nasty foods that prevent it. Good luck.
    Thanks for the positive story, I rep'd+ you for it, bro!

Originally Posted by MoreRepsToday View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=gKLY9HfNrT8&feature=g-high-rec

Here's a guy your age who wanted to compete. Decide for yourself if you want it that bad.
    Thanks for the video link, I enjoyed Stuart's bodybuilding journey. I rep'd+ you, bro.

anonymous
    it depends on what you mean by 'bodybuilder'.

If you mean fit guy who looks like he has a gym membership, sure. But maybe 0.0001% of men of any age who lift weights look like the definition of a 'bodybuilder' post 1950.. and that includes tens of thousands of heavy abusers, so just be realistic and focus on good shape and health.

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    it depends on what you mean by 'bodybuilder'.

If you mean fit guy who looks like he has a gym membership, sure. But maybe 0.0001% of men of any age who lift weights look like the definition of a 'bodybuilder' post 1950.. and that includes tens of thousands of heavy abusers, so just be realistic and focus on good shape and health.
    Thanks Halfway

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It sure has been nice to read you guys encouraging this guy besides a couple of dicks. To me that is what this entire website is for. I quit using fb and twitter because of all the people who are so negative and it irks me to see a transformation on here and guys accusing the person of being on gear. My goal is not to ever compete but I want to make one of those transformations one day.

docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500) docmansound is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would like to lose bodyfat and gain muscle and become a bodybuilder and win some amateur contests.
    I suggest you first enjoy working hard in the gym, enjoy seeing your strength go up, enjoy the changes in the mirror and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. You may or may not get to the point where you can compete, but you can definitely have a body better than most guys out there within a couple years of consistent hard work and dietary discipline.

AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by docmansound View Post
    I suggest you first enjoy working hard in the gym, enjoy seeing your strength go up, enjoy the changes in the mirror and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. You may or may not get to the point where you can compete, but you can definitely have a body better than most guys out there within a couple years of consistent hard work and dietary discipline.
    Amen, brother. It's funny to me because now I absolutely hate missing a day lifting, which means I border on overtraining most of the time (usually forearms). I had to take two days off (Sat and Sun) because of some acute pain in my wrist flexors, but I was back this morning (in Middle East right now so I'm 8 hrs ahead of EST) and feeling good now. I talk with some people, and they say that they hate the gym and lifting. I feel sorry for them! I feel SO much better after a good bout of heavy lifting -- mood is improved, energy level is better, body feels alive.

Can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow!

Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've after years of fighting agaisnt, have finally become a believer in "you can't outwork a bad diet" I've done all the right things in the gym for nearly twenty years and when I was younger was in fantastic shape. But this is my new advise to live by. I like lifting, even cardio to some degree. My 2 hours in the gym is almost always enjoyable. Eating properly the other 14 hours of the day that I'm not sleeping or lifting is the battle, and really the most important factor.
    Bench 335 x 4, 375 x 1
    Squat 455 x 2
    DL 495 x 4

tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've never done a bodybuilding contest, but I've spent years running kids around to wrestling tournaments. If bb contests are anything like amatuer wrestling, here's a tip for you. Anybody can win a trophy, you just have to find the right contest. I've seen kids take second place in a tournament without winning a match. I've even seen them get first that way. All you have to do is find a tournament that nobody else is competing at your weight. Boom! You're a champion.

To me, the real competition in BB is with yourself. I can't promise you will ever be good enough to win on stage, but I promise you can look better than the man you see in the mirror today. And that's a competition you should be able to beat in less than a month. So take a picture this afternoon and set a competition date of 30 days from now. Take a picture 1/10/2013 and plan to give yourself a medal. Make this a lifestyle, not a phase you are going through.

DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This thread reeks of troll.

OP, you come to a bb'ing O35 site and ask a question that you must already know the answer to. Notsureifsrs!

Yes, I got put into that program after getting released from Atascadero State Hospital in 2004. I graduated from the program in 2010 and moved in with relatives. It was a really constrictive program, they controlled every aspect of my life.
    Your gains will be directly proportional to how many aspects of your life that YOU can control.

Someone who can't govern their own actions isn't likely to succeed here, either.
    I may look like Santa Claus.....but I'm feeling like Elvis...........

Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
    This thread reeks of troll.

OP, you come to a bb'ing O35 site and ask a question that you must already know the answer to. Notsureifsrs!

Your gains will be directly proportional to how many aspects of your life that YOU can control.

Someone who can't govern their own actions isn't likely to succeed here, either.
    I just wanted to make sure that muscle gains after 40 were possible, I had heard from another source that it was possible, but just wanted it verified by you guys. I just wanted more encouragement. And I'm not in Conrep any more, I am in control of my life and I'm a member at 24 hour fitness, and I'm taking a weightlifting class at my junior college, and I do a 3 day split where I work each muscle group once a week. After quitting sweets on Saturday, I've lost a couple of pounds already, I went from 245-246 to 243.5 just from eating better.