24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Help
United States United States

Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User melvin2345's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: Midland, Michigan, United States
    Age: 37
    Stats: 6'1", 270 lbs
    Posts: 414
    Rep Power: 1673
    melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000)
    melvin2345 is offline

    Homemade fat grip for Powerblocks

    I wanted to do some thick bar work, but I have Powerblocks, so fat gripz or grip4orce seem like they wouldn't fit very well. So I decided to make my own. This turned out to be WAY easier than I thought it would.

    First off, the Powerblock handle is held together by 2 5mm bolts. All you need to take the handle apart is an alan wrench. Pop off one of the bolts, I chose the side without the adder weight lock. It's impossible to put them back together wrong unless you are really trying, or are just amazingly dumb. Anyway, I wrapped the handle (1.25" diameter btw) in pipe insulation (1.25" ID 1.9" OD). I then cut 1.5" (1.9" OD, 1.5" ID) pvc sch40 into 4.75" lengths. Then simply twist and turn the pvc over the foam pipe insulation until it hits the bottom. Reassemble the handle, and there you have it.

    The 3 attached images show the end result. The PVC is bare right now, which doesn't seem to slip at all, but to be safe, I have a can of 3M spray on rubber that I'm going to apply tomorrow. I figure 2 coats will suffice.
    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User morebarbell's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Stats: 5'9", 1 lbs
    Posts: 5,048
    Rep Power: 8984
    morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000) morebarbell is a name known to all. (+5000)
    morebarbell is offline
    Looks like a good solution. Repped. It should be much cheaper than Fat Gripz too. The only downside in my opinion is that it requires disassembly. Does that void the warranty?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Kyrgyz in heart Jetigen's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Stats: 6'1", 165 lbs
    Posts: 2,330
    Rep Power: 6272
    Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Jetigen is offline
    Originally Posted by melvin2345 View Post
    I wanted to do some thick bar work, but I have Powerblocks, so fat gripz or grip4orce seem like they wouldn't fit very well. So I decided to make my own. This turned out to be WAY easier than I thought it would.

    First off, the Powerblock handle is held together by 2 5mm bolts. All you need to take the handle apart is an alan wrench. Pop off one of the bolts, I chose the side without the adder weight lock. It's impossible to put them back together wrong unless you are really trying, or are just amazingly dumb. Anyway, I wrapped the handle (1.25" diameter btw) in pipe insulation (1.25" ID 1.9" OD). I then cut 1.5" (1.9" OD, 1.5" ID) pvc sch40 into 4.75" lengths. Then simply twist and turn the pvc over the foam pipe insulation until it hits the bottom. Reassemble the handle, and there you have it.

    The 3 attached images show the end result. The PVC is bare right now, which doesn't seem to slip at all, but to be safe, I have a can of 3M spray on rubber that I'm going to apply tomorrow. I figure 2 coats will suffice.






    Embedded pics for you.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User jtaliani's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Steubenville, Ohio, United States
    Posts: 906
    Rep Power: 1781
    jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    jtaliani is offline
    Thanks for embedding the pics jetigen!

    The mod turned out very nicely melvin! Thanks for sharing your results. Reps coming your way.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User DC45's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Stats: 227 lbs
    Posts: 151
    Rep Power: 97
    DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DC45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DC45 is offline
    Looks awesome!! I might need to try this myself.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User melvin2345's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: Midland, Michigan, United States
    Age: 37
    Stats: 6'1", 270 lbs
    Posts: 414
    Rep Power: 1673
    melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000)
    melvin2345 is offline
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Looks like a good solution. Repped. It should be much cheaper than Fat Gripz too. The only downside in my opinion is that it requires disassembly. Does that void the warranty?
    Total cost was just shy of $25, but i bought enough material to do the powerblocks, 4 dumbbell handles and my ez-bar.

    As far as the warranty, no idea. Im not to worried though. As long as you don't make the pvc too long (it should be able to move back and forth about 1/8"), the handle still maintains structural integrity.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Kyrgyz in heart Jetigen's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Stats: 6'1", 165 lbs
    Posts: 2,330
    Rep Power: 6272
    Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Jetigen is offline
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Does that void the warranty?
    PB warranty is not transferable. So, if you bought them secondhand do whatever you want.

    According to PB website, the warranty would be void if you try to alter or repair the dumbbells by yourself. Here is a screenshot with the link:



    http://www.powerblock.com/Manuals/ClassicManual.pdf

    --
    --

    Originally Posted by jtaliani View Post
    Thanks for embedding the pics jetigen!
    No problems
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Jetigen; 12-08-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User dumb.bell's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Brentwood, Tennessee, United States
    Age: 48
    Stats: 5'11", 182 lbs
    Posts: 5,037
    Rep Power: 23881
    dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    dumb.bell is offline
    Could be wrong, but I don't think this would void the warranty. I cannot see where the product has been altered (cut, bent, glued, etc.). Putting the PVC on the handle seems more akin to using a squat pad on a barbell when doing squats. You can put it on and take it off and the underlying product isn't changed.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

    ▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

    ▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

    186lbs in Avatar
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User tytw00's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2015
    Age: 37
    Stats: 165 lbs
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tytw00 is offline
    I know its an old thread but hopefully the OP is still around.

    This looks like such a great idea I tried it with my powerblock classic 50 plus. I bought sch 40 abs pipe with inner diameter of 1.5inch so that that outer diameter is close to 2inchs. The pipe insulation I have is inner diamater 1.25inch to match the diameter of the powerblock handle (outer diameter is close to 2inches as well). So it looks like I got the same materials as melvin2345 but I was unable to get the abs pipe over the pipe insulation. The pipe insulation compresses but after an inch or less, my experience is that it's pointless to twist and force the abs pipe over the insulation as the pipe insulation underneath tears as I twists with the abs pipe on top or the abs pipe just won't move any further. Any tips to get the abs pipe over the pipe insulation?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Banned thegoldfinger's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Age: 32
    Stats: 208 lbs
    Posts: 186
    Rep Power: 0
    thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) thegoldfinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thegoldfinger is offline
    Originally Posted by tytw00 View Post
    I know its an old thread but hopefully the OP is still around.

    This looks like such a great idea I tried it with my powerblock classic 50 plus. I bought sch 40 abs pipe with inner diameter of 1.5inch so that that outer diameter is close to 2inchs. The pipe insulation I have is inner diamater 1.25inch to match the diameter of the powerblock handle (outer diameter is close to 2inches as well). So it looks like I got the same materials as melvin2345 but I was unable to get the abs pipe over the pipe insulation. The pipe insulation compresses but after an inch or less, my experience is that it's pointless to twist and force the abs pipe over the insulation as the pipe insulation underneath tears as I twists with the abs pipe on top or the abs pipe just won't move any further. Any tips to get the abs pipe over the pipe insulation?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Some lubrication might help. Dishwashing liquid is worth a try for this situation.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User tytw00's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2015
    Age: 37
    Stats: 165 lbs
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tytw00 is offline
    Just an update. I never did get it to fit. However, I tried this on my pull-up tower which has standard 1inch handles. It works but the problem is that the pipe insulation compresses when you workout such that the handle is not the most stable.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User Ramcharger310's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Location: Yucca Valley, California, United States
    Age: 37
    Posts: 734
    Rep Power: 1892
    Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000) Ramcharger310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ramcharger310 is offline
    I don't have PB's, but why wouldn't fat gripz fit on them? If they need to be cut, just buy some cheap fat gripz knockoffs.
    "I love the smell of stall mats in the morning."
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User tytw00's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2015
    Age: 37
    Stats: 165 lbs
    Posts: 12
    Rep Power: 0
    tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tytw00 is offline
    Originally Posted by Ramcharger310 View Post
    I don't have PB's, but why wouldn't fat gripz fit on them? If they need to be cut, just buy some cheap fat gripz knockoffs.
    I ended up buying alpha grips 2 inch diameter version. The issue is the outer diameter of the Powerblock handle is greater than the inner diameter of the alpha grips so there is a gap which I find annoying when gripping the handle. Also the gap makes the diameter of the handle closer to 2.25 inches which starts to be a tight fit inside the Powerblock. 2 inch diameter with no gap would have been ideal as achieved by the original poster. Oh well.

    I did have to saw off 1/4 inch off one end of the alpha grips.
    Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. HOME GYMS Lets see them!
    By SHOWTIME in forum Supplement Misc.
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts