24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 1-866-236-8417
|

Stats: 5'10", 165 lbs
    foxtrotjoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

That Question... Ya Know, The One About Opening A Gym

Hey guys, I'm a smart fella, probably like yourself, been certified for less than a year. And now I'm thinking about opening a gym. My hometown has a population of about 2,000; I haven't been back in years but the last time I checked, they were pretty fat. There are no fitness centers there as of now so I feel I could swoop in and get members quick, make Michelle Obama proud. But I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions if you would be so kind as to share.

I figure my overhead and staff would be infantile in cost compared to a gym in a real city, and marketing would be ungodly easy as you would pass the only gym in town while driving down one of three major streets. And I could hand out fliers to every household in town in one weekend.

I'm not looking to get rich; I just want to do what I love and make a decent living, boss free.

Opinions? Mad rants? Gruff wisdom?

Please share your thoughts

WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WoofieNugget is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Small towns are tough - only about 10% of the general population will get a gym membership depending on the area. So of your town of 2000 you have maybe 200 members. Sat $50 per month for a membership (if you can get that) and that's 10k a month. With overhead, taxes, insurance, equipment cost, staff wages, etc can you make enough of a profit to make it worth your while to work 60-80 hours a week for the first two years while you are getting everything set up. You would have to define a "decent living" and see after all the pros and cons if it would be worth it over time, especially financially.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz KyleAaron has the mod powerz
    If your small town is a farming or mining town, the signups will be less than 10% of the general population, since the people feel (rightly or wrongly) they're active enough at work, and also many of them are doing 10-14hr days so are unlikely to want to work out afterwards.
    "A fox has many tricks, a porcupine has only one trick - but a very good one."

Best recent lifts in kg:- me, 165/110/215; woman client 130/72.5/160; male client 230/132.5/245

Stats: 5'11", 189 lbs
    UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I havent read any posts on here that say anything positive about owning a gym.
    Check out my Ebay Listings-
    http://myworld.ebay.com/undergroundtraining
    Official Website http://www.UG-TRAINING.COM
    Check out my youtube page http://www.youtube.com/UTCFitness
    Photos of my equipment http://www.facebook.com/undergroundtraining
    Contact me on FB or Ebay concerning my equipment
    Follow us on Twitter
    http://www.twitter.com/UGtraining