froobage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for alternative exercises to use at home rather than gym (Please see)

Hi All,

Im going to try and follow the Zero to Hero in one year fitness program
    (Cant Post Link)

The problem is I dont have time to go the gym 4x a week due to my job and looking after a child, i'm starting from the 4-6 months workout (due to previous fitness experience from martial arts). I have a dumbell and barbell weights set at home, aswell as a pull up bar and bench. Most of the exercises i can do at home but some I can't and im not sure what I could do as an alternative. I don't think it'd be advisable to drop the exercise completely.

If anyone could give me an alternative to the exercises in bold i'd really appreciate it.

Day 1: Shoulders

Seated Military Press
    3 sets of 6-8 reps

Front Dumbbell Raise
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Side Lateral Raise
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Rear Lateral Raise
    3 sets of 10-12 reps

Day 2: Back/Biceps/Abs

Pull Ups
    3 sets of 6-8 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Close Grip Pulldowns
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Seated Row
    3 sets of 10-12 reps

Dumbbell Shrug
    3 sets of 15-20 reps

Alternate Dumbbell Curl
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Hammer Curl
    3 sets of 12-15 reps

Hanging Leg Raise
    5 sets of 20 reps

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Legs

Squats
    3 sets of 6-8 reps

Leg Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Leg Extensions
    3 sets of 12-15 reps

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    3 sets of 12-15 reps

Lying Leg Curl
    3 sets of 12-15 reps

Standing Calf Raise
    5 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 5: Chest/Triceps/Abs

Incline Bench Press
    3 sets of 6-8 reps

Flat Dumbbell Flyes
    3 sets of 8-10 reps

Decline Bench Press
    3 sets of 10-12 reps

Dips
    3 sets of 10-12 reps

Rope Pushdowns
    3 sets of 12-15 reps

Weighted Crunches
    5 sets of 20 reps

Days 6 and 7: Off

Many Thanks,

Froobage

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pulldowns - Chin Ups
    Seated Rows - Inverted Rows
    Leg Press - Lunges
    Dips - Floor Pressing/Skull Crushers
    Pushdowns - Kickbacks

Some of these movements are redundant IMO anyways.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadboram will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can check scoobysworkshop.com for excellent advice.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have dumbbells, barbells and a bench, you do not need anything else.

I'm not saying by any means that it's complete, but I only have the same equipment you listed and my workout consists of:

-shoulder press
    -upright row
    -shrug
    -front lever pullup
    -deadlift
    -barbell curl
    -skullcrusher/pullover
    -chest fly (prefer this to bench)

I could easily add in benching, some kind of rows etc. as well. I have a pair of sawhorses and a dipping belt, so I can dip when I please too.

benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With a bench, rack, barbell and dumbbells, you're set. Most machines just simulate free weight exercises. Try to adjust your training so that the exercises you do have a specific muscle group/movement targeted. So for example for triceps, you want to do exercises so that you hit all three heads of the tricep (skull crushers for the long head, CGBP for the medial/lateral heads), and for chest, you want to do one fly movement and one or two pushing movements.

And while more volume is good because you're only training your muscle groups once a week, you might not be able to progressive overload, which is what is essentially needed when building muscle, as well as a beginner. Personally, after a few sets of heavy flat barbell bench press, it's impossible for me to lift as much as I would want to on the incline/decline and I end up stalling.

Keep it simple by not being so repetitive with some movements (so much pressing) and focusing on progressive overload while working the variety of functions of the muscle. If you get bored/stall/see a weak point, pick a different variation of the exercise (pull-up to chin-up, switch up the bench press, back squat to front squat, etc).

surprised6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here goes...

Close grip pull-downs: chin ups
    seated row: T-bar row
    leg press: front squats/lunges (don't bother with the leg curls/extensions, your squats and deadlifts are fine)
    dips: close grip bench press/weighted push-ups (put weight in a back-pack)
    rope pushdowns: skullcrushers

As with what other posters are saying, you don't have to include some of the isolation or machine-based exercises if you have the basic compound free-weight exercises going. Good routine though

froobage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers for the replies! Some good advice thank you