Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100)

What can I do to replace squats?

Hey I'm 16 and a sophomore in high school and I'm 125 pounds and 5'9. I just started lifting and my goal is pretty much just to get as big as I can by summer. I don't have an estimated weight as I don't want to make a ridiculous, unrealistic goal. I never plan on being a bodybuilder really.

Now I have weight lifted a little before and I figured out I'm really awful at squats and I just hate them. My form is really bad too and I've worked on it and I simply just can't do it. I guess I could still ask a trainer for some help to help me get really good form. So this comes to my main question; what workout(s) could I do to replace squats? Should I just work on each muscle a squat works individually?

Thanks

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Doctorslim View Post
    I guess I could still ask a trainer for some help to help me get really good form.
    Do that.

Nobody likes squats.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nothing can replace squats.

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Do that.

Nobody likes squats.
    Ain't that the truth.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey I'm 16 and a sophomore in high school and I'm 125 pounds and 5'9. I just started lifting and my goal is pretty much just to get as big as I can by summer. I don't have an estimated weight as I don't want to make a ridiculous, unrealistic goal. I never plan on being a bodybuilder really.

Now I have weight lifted a little before and I figured out I'm really awful at squats and I just hate them. My form is really bad too and I've worked on it and I simply just can't do it. I guess I could still ask a trainer for some help to help me get really good form. So this comes to my main question; what workout(s) could I do to replace squats? Should I just work on each muscle a squat works individually?

Thanks
    General rule of thumb when it comes to training: The stuff you hate doing the most is usually the best possible thing you could be doing to make progress.

Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100) Doctorslim is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    General rule of thumb when it comes to training: The stuff you hate doing the most is usually the best possible thing you could be doing to make progress.
    Well the only reason I hate them is I feel like I can't do them right. I'm not sure if its because of my form but for me just in general like if I do a squat without weights, I feel my hamstrings get really tight before they are even perpendicular to the ground. Why could that happen even without weights?

t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well the only reason I hate them is I feel like I can't do them right. I'm not sure if its because of my form but for me just in general like if I do a squat without weights, I feel my hamstrings get really tight before they are even perpendicular to the ground. Why could that happen even without weights?
    Lack of flexibility perhaps?

benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They're not necessary but they're the foundations of most leg exercises. Sure you could build strong leg muscles without squats (with the leg press, leg extensions, leg curls) but they could probably lead to muscular imbalances because your core isn't as engaged, if at all, when you're on a machine, you don't need too much balance to do curls and extensions, and the movements on the leg press and hack squat machines are so similar to the back squat that if your form is lousy on the squat, it'll probably be lousy on those two as well. Your lower back won't be arched and you won't be able to go parallel and get the full range of motion.

Mobility work all the time + dynamic stretching before workout will help you. Start with bodyweight only and progress up. Do squats against the wall, do box squats, do them while holding a dumbbell; there are lots of ways to get better at it. Unless you have a medical reason for not doing them (slipped discs, disabilities), anyone could really be able to do them.

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
    Lack of flexibility perhaps?
    Yeah it sounds like it could be lack of flexibility as I've never been to flexible I'm the first place. Should I hold off on doing squats with a barbell until I'm more flexible? Should I squat at all until I'm flexible enough for it?

Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000) Jfern689 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had bad squat form at first. I just started doing them with dumbbells and then made the transition to barbell eventually.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I took me a good 6-8 months to have a decent Squat technique. Now I can Squat like a natural. I would continue learning Squat technique. Tell yourself that failure is not an option. In the meanwhile, I say go heavy on Trap Bar Deadlift and Deadlifts. Perhaps try Squat variations - High-Bar, Low-Bar, Sumo, and Front.

It's a bit short-sighted to say you just want to be big for Summer. Let me tell you, granted you don't die from a freak accident, you're gonna see lots of Summers and seasons in general. Train to be big and strong for life. You don't got to call yourself a bodybuilder or powerlifter.

Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    I took me a good 6-8 months to have a decent Squat technique. Now I can Squat like a natural. I would continue learning Squat technique. Tell yourself that failure is not an option. In the meanwhile, I say go heavy on Trap Bar Deadlift and Deadlifts. Perhaps try Squat variations - High-Bar, Low-Bar, Sumo, and Front.

It's a bit short-sighted to say you just want to be big for Summer. Let me tell you, granted you die from a freak accident, you're gonna see lots of Summers and seasons in general. Train to be big and strong for life. You don't got to call yourself a bodybuilder or powerlifter.
    Well that's what I meant. Like my short term goal is to be pretty big by summer but my long term goal is to just stay big and be in good shape for the rest of my life as I never want to be over weight.

I will work on my Deadlifts though as I am pretty sure I've got the technique for Deadlifts down after practicing in my basement for quite a bit, but unfortunately I have no where to practice squats. I think I might just practice squats with dumbbells until I get the form good.

Hopefully these are my last questions. Should I do squats at the beginning middle or end of my workout? Then should I do Deadlifts at the beginning or end of my workout?

t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000) t8rtot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah it sounds like it could be lack of flexibility as I've never been to flexible I'm the first place. Should I hold off on doing squats with a barbell until I'm more flexible? Should I squat at all until I'm flexible enough for it?
    From my experiences flexibility is something that is best worked on in its own time frame. When I first started getting serious about my workouts I began doing stretching as its own workout routine in the mornings 3 days a week for about 25-30 minutes. It was then I started to actually feel the benefits in my lifts from my increase in flexibility.

But to answer your question, my initial lack of flexibility did not stop me from doing ANY exercise. I continued to do a weight that I could work with and go as deep as I could without having my form fall completely apart.

yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250) yodasbrain has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    From my experiences flexibility is something that is best worked on in its own time frame. When I first started getting serious about my workouts I began doing stretching as its own workout routine in the mornings 3 days a week for about 25-30 minutes. It was then I started to actually feel the benefits in my lifts from my increase in flexibility.

But to answer your question, my initial lack of flexibility did not stop me from doing ANY exercise. I continued to do a weight that I could work with and go as deep as I could without having my form fall completely apart.
    This!

Okay thanks. Now my balance when using a barbell isn't very good and I already know I couldn't squat too much. I'm thinking about starting off with dumbbells for the first 1-3 months I'm going to be lifting and then switch to barbell once I know my form is better and that I have more balance. Does that sound like a good idea to you or should I just go straight to barbell?

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Okay thanks. Now my balance when using a barbell isn't very good and I already know I couldn't squat too much. I'm thinking about starting off with dumbbells for the first 1-3 months I'm going to be lifting and then switch to barbell once I know my form is better and that I have more balance. Does that sound like a good idea to you or should I just go straight to barbell?
    Straight to barbell.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Registered User Fitnessguru1995's Avatar
    Fitnessguru1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks
    You should practice your squats with the trainer and watch videos online. The best thing you could do to replace squats would be hack squats if your gym has the machine.

Okay thanks everyone. Now I have one question about my workouts in general. I put most of my workouts for 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Now I was thinking should I switch that to 3 sets of 5 on most of my workouts and use a lot heavier weights if I want to get a lot bigger quicker or should I keep it 3 sets of 8-12 since I'm only 16 and just starting to weight lift?

Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000) Moop1988 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I see nothing wrong with 8-12 unless your goal is pure strength in which I'd lower the rep scheme on compound lifts (bench, squat, dead) but not on most isolation movements. If you are a beginner you shouldn't be doing tons of isolation anyways.

There are lots of exercises that you can use to grow your legs. I for one, have seen tons of trainer helping people do squats and they don't correct their form enough and just let them keep squatting. I see their backs rounding very badly and if they keep progressing with that form they will def encounter injury, so even a trainer helping isn't fool proof.

If you really want to learn to squat, do some research and go to someone in your area that really knows his stuff, youtube can only take you so far.

Originally Posted by Moop1988 View Post
    I see nothing wrong with 8-12 unless your goal is pure strength in which I'd lower the rep scheme on compound lifts (bench, squat, dead) but not on most isolation movements. If you are a beginner you shouldn't be doing tons of isolation anyways.

There are lots of exercises that you can use to grow your legs. I for one, have seen tons of trainer helping people do squats and they don't correct their form enough and just let them keep squatting. I see their backs rounding very badly and if they keep progressing with that form they will def encounter injury, so even a trainer helping isn't fool proof.

If you really want to learn to squat, do some research and go to someone in your area that really knows his stuff, youtube can only take you so far.
    Okay now I have a few questions; first off how much should I lower the reps by on my main workouts? Also what workouts could I do instead of squating as I feel like I'm going to end up doing it wrong and injuring my self as I always feel like I lean way too far forward

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Straight to barbell.

^^^^

Okay now I have a few questions; first off how much should I lower the reps by on my main workouts? Also what workouts could I do instead of squating as I feel like I'm going to end up doing it wrong and injuring my self as I always feel like I lean way too far forward

I personally started with: 5 sets

2 warm up sets in the 10-12 range

2 working sets of 5

1 burn out set

I have changed a lot since then, but this worked well for me at first.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ''I'm 125 pounds''

Shut up and squat.

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well that's what I meant. Like my short term goal is to be pretty big by summer but my long term goal is to just stay big and be in good shape for the rest of my life as I never want to be over weight.

I will work on my Deadlifts though as I am pretty sure I've got the technique for Deadlifts down after practicing in my basement for quite a bit, but unfortunately I have no where to practice squats. I think I might just practice squats with dumbbells until I get the form good.

Hopefully these are my last questions. Should I do squats at the beginning middle or end of my workout? Then should I do Deadlifts at the beginning or end of my workout?
    If you can do Deadlifts in your basement, then you can do Squats in your basement. If you feel like you might fall during Squats, then you might fall. If you fall, you get back up, and keep trying until you understand the mechanics of the lift.

If you're having trouble deciding between reps of 8 or reps of 5, perhaps do both. When I began training, I stayed with around the 8 rep range, and hadn't realized that choosing that rep range prevented me from lifting heavier. The idea is that the heavier you lift for a high rep range, the bigger you'll get. So if you're just starting out and have no strength, it may not be optimal.

Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I hate back squats too...But for past injruy problems. Soooooo I do front squats.
    It's time to get NASTY!

DaRhino808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try practicing doing squats w/ no weights, place your hands on your hips, if you want, you can add a piece of 2x4 under your heels. keep your head straight looking forward slightly upwards...after a couple workouts add just the bar, no weights. do this a couple workouts, then slowly add weights....always do your squats 1st in your workouts when you are at your strongest....while you learn to squat correctly, i'd say do the hacks or leg presses till you get the squat down.....hope this helps

oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldschool5919 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by doctorslim View Post
    hey i'm 16 and a sophomore in high school and i'm 125 pounds and 5'9. I just started lifting and my goal is pretty much just to get as big as i can by summer. I don't have an estimated weight as i don't want to make a ridiculous, unrealistic goal. I never plan on being a bodybuilder really.

Now i have weight lifted a little before and i figured out i'm really awful at squats and i just hate them. My form is really bad too and i've worked on it and i simply just can't do it. I guess i could still ask a trainer for some help to help me get really good form. So this comes to my main question; what workout(s) could i do to replace squats? Should i just work on each muscle a squat works individually?

Thanks
    try doing leg presses in the leg press machine,squat with dumbbells,do hack squats,squat your bodyweight.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    ''I'm 125 pounds''

Shut up and squat.
    ^This x1000

Stop thinking so hard, just go ****ing squat.

If you want feedback on your form, take a video and post it here for a form check.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100) yjama22 is not very well liked. (-100)

Thanks
    I find lunges amazing..they firm up everything and kill your glutes and ham..but you gotta do squats

Registered Offender gabrielsyler's Avatar
    gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    as I always feel like I lean way too far forward
    you feel like you lean too far forward but are you?

*image from www.70sbig.com

Your 16, you should be pretty flexible. So it'll be your technique that is wrong.. get somebody to show you how to do it.

My friend was also leaning forward to much and was lifting his heals off the floor. He couldn't even BW squat without leaning forwards. I got him to squat holding a 15kg plate above his head locked arms. When he leant forward on squat, his arms would be forward and he'd loose balance and fall over. He soon figured out how to keep his feet on the floor.