HoldYerGround has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simple/Complex Carbs for Pre/Post workout?

So, for Pre-workout, should I use complex carbs in my shake to give a sustained release of energy throughout the workout, or should I use simple carbs (I have dextrose) to give me immediate stores of energy?

For post workout, its a commonly held belief that you should load your protein shake with simple carbs to get insulin to stimulate your metabolism. But isn't that abuse of insulin? The effect of simple carbs/sugar/starch/ect. on your body is negative in the long run, because our body starts building a resistance to insulin, causing lower metabolism and in its worst case: type II diabetes.

So, even though I need protein to take its course ASAP after a workout, wouldn't complex carbs be the way to go?
    Wouldn't simple carbs make me crash later as well?
    Does insulin really make a huge difference as far the time it takes for protein to get to my muscles?
    And wouldn't the time between your workout and when you drink your post-workout shake have a greater effect on that (most places say a "20 minute window" and do not emphasize immediate consumption of the shake, yet stress the simple carb/insulin concept)?

As a side note, a lot of sources also stress a 3-5/1 ratio of carbs to protein in a shake. Why? Can the carbs later in the form of food or is it important that carbs are in the body ASAP?

Just so you guys can keep this in context, my goals are to gain strength/muscle and lose fat, to which I have a bit. However, keep in mind, I do not want to make physical gains at the expense of certain functions of my body. I remember watching a Milos Sarcev seminar where he supports the use of simple carbs after a workout, said doctors did not approve, and assured me that it produced good gains. He did not address the inherit health risks of spiked blood sugar...

So basically if you approve of simple carb use, I want an answer that convinces me not only of gains, but that the insulin flood side effect is somehow not damaging.

Please only answer if you know what you are talking about as far as nutrition goes. Thanks in advance.

Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle.john will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It does not matter,if you had a good pre/workout meal.
    As long as you have carbs. on that meal,you are good to go...

Anyone?

I really want someone to address insulin resistance...

kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50) kinglac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A low carb, low-GI, high fat diet coupled with regular exercise (any is good, short, intense duration is better) will, eventually over time, reduced signs of insulin resistance.

* Chronic hyperinsulinism over time leads to down-regulation of insulin receptors; on the same hand, a sedentary lifestyle does the same.

* A low carbohydrate diet will cause enhanced insulin receptor sensitivity.

* Diet aside, recovery can affect insulin resistance to a degree, also. Elevated cortisol levels (lack of sleep + stress) have also been implicated in Type II diabetes.

You don't have to dive into a complete ketogenic diet to do this, though.

I meant insulin resisitance in context to the simple carbohydrates I should or should not consume before or after my workout.

BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Simple carbohydrate supplementation during and post training will not negatively impact insulin sensitivity (provided you train intensely) because exercise enhances glucose uptake into muscle cells rather than fat cells. If you lift heavy and do a lot of cardio/HIIT, then it will not hurt you. Just don't go sucking down a gatorade after a 30 minute leisure walk. If there is any one time to consume carbs, simple or complex, it is in the peri/post workout period.

Try something like whey + WMS or dextrose during your workout (as little as 1/2 scoop of whey and 30-40g carbs fits the bill), then about an hour after (or when you are hungry again), a meal with complex carbs, protein, and some healthy fats.

scot88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The reason people get type 2 diabetes is because they spike their insulin levels all day long.Chronic hyperinsulinism over time leads to down-regulation of insulin receptors; on the same hand, a sedentary lifestyle does the same. So as long as you keep the simple carbs and sugars down during the rest of the day it is very beneficial to have your insulin levels spiked while you workout to keep cortisol levels down and your carb supply at its peak to ensure the most benefit out of your workout.
    Originally Posted by HoldYerGround View Post
    So, for Pre-workout, should I use complex carbs in my shake to give a sustained release of energy throughout the workout, or should I use simple carbs (I have dextrose) to give me immediate stores of energy?

For post workout, its a commonly held belief that you should load your protein shake with simple carbs to get insulin to stimulate your metabolism. But isn't that abuse of insulin? The effect of simple carbs/sugar/starch/ect. on your body is negative in the long run, because our body starts building a resistance to insulin, causing lower metabolism and in its worst case: type II diabetes.

So, even though I need protein to take its course ASAP after a workout, wouldn't complex carbs be the way to go?
    Wouldn't simple carbs make me crash later as well?
    Does insulin really make a huge difference as far the time it takes for protein to get to my muscles?
    And wouldn't the time between your workout and when you drink your post-workout shake have a greater effect on that (most places say a "20 minute window" and do not emphasize immediate consumption of the shake, yet stress the simple carb/insulin concept)?

As a side note, a lot of sources also stress a 3-5/1 ratio of carbs to protein in a shake. Why? Can the carbs later in the form of food or is it important that carbs are in the body ASAP?

Just so you guys can keep this in context, my goals are to gain strength/muscle and lose fat, to which I have a bit. However, keep in mind, I do not want to make physical gains at the expense of certain functions of my body. I remember watching a Milos Sarcev seminar where he supports the use of simple carbs after a workout, said doctors did not approve, and assured me that it produced good gains. He did not address the inherit health risks of spiked blood sugar...

So basically if you approve of simple carb use, I want an answer that convinces me not only of gains, but that the insulin flood side effect is somehow not damaging.

Please only answer if you know what you are talking about as far as nutrition goes. Thanks in advance.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scot88 View Post
    The reason people get type 2 diabetes is because they spike their insulin levels all day long.Chronic hyperinsulinism over time leads to down-regulation of insulin receptors; on the same hand, a sedentary lifestyle does the same. So as long as you keep the simple carbs and sugars down during the rest of the day it is very beneficial to have your insulin levels spiked while you workout to keep cortisol levels down and your carb supply at its peak to ensure the most benefit out of your workout.
    Epic bump