Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 month progress - any tips helpful!

So here it is, finally......

I started at a mere 125-130 pounds, currently up to about 150ish pounds. (Check in today, at 146 pounds roughly).

What do you guys think!

This one's about 2 months in:

Here's 1 month in physique overall:

All opinions/comments will be taken in respectfully! Whether I need improvement in one part, or the change is decent for 3 months, let me know!

I myself am proud of myself, as I've never committed seriously to a working out until now.

I'll still continue to push it, just wanted to hear others opinions and so forth!

I've been on a 3 day split:

Day 1 - Chest/Tri
    Day 2 - Back/Bi
    Day 3 - Shoulders/legs
    Day 4 - Chest/tri
    Day 5 - Back/bi
    Day 6 - Shoulders/legs
    Day 7 - Break
    Rinse and repeat with sunday as a break day.

I've been in-taking 4000 calories daily with 150grams of protein.

Should I switch my workout plan now to something more of an upper/lower split or continuing doing what I'm doing?

Any sort of inputs help and if needed criticize me, it'll only help me in the long run!

Thought I'd add that I turned 20 today and have NEVER felt better! Thanks brahs!
    Last edited by samtronswt; 12-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.

DomZon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DomZon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm new to this so keep this is mind, but think best advice i have heard is: If you are seeing progress, don't change it. From what I understand the most important part is just progressing week to week (adding weight or doing an extra rep within the rep range).

As for pictures, you definitely look like you've gotten bigger man good job.

db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db213506 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by samtronswt View Post
    So here it is, finally......

I started at a mere 125-130 pounds, currently up to about 150ish pounds.

What do you guys think!

All opinions/comments will be taken in respectfully! Whether I need improvement in one part, or the change is decent for 3 months, let me know!

I myself am proud of myself, as I've never committed seriously to a working out until now.

I'll still continue to push it, just wanted to hear others opinions and so forth!

I've been on a 3 day split:

Day 1 - Chest/Tri
    Day 2 - Back/Bi
    Day 3 - Shoulders/legs
    Rinse and repeat with sunday as a break day.

I've been in-taking 4000 calories daily with 150grams of protein.

Should I switch my workout plan now to something more of an upper/lower split or continuing doing what I'm doing?

Any sort of inputs help and if needed criticize me, it'll only help me in the long run!

Thanks brahs!
    I think you're showing some pretty good progress. Especially for only 3 months. Calorie in-take seems pretty good and protein is right on. If anything, you could take in more protein to help build faster. About the only recommendation I would have, if you are able to do it, it split your days up. If you are able to, workout 5 days a week and really focus on a specific area. You want to spend more time working your bigger body parts (chest, shoulders, and back). For instance, you could do legs with bis. Switch it up and always keep your body guessin. Don't do the same routine over and over again. Chest and tris is a good combo....but switch it up, like one week do really heavy chest and light tris, then the next week do less chest and more tris. Also, mix around with repetitions and heavy/light weight. If you want lean muscle to less weight higher reps, but if you want good bulk muscle do heavy weight low reps.

Other than that man I think your right on track. Looking pretty good. Keep eatin like a horse and hittin the gym and you'll get there!

samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samtronswt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DomZon View Post
    I'm new to this so keep this is mind, but think best advice i have heard is: If you are seeing progress, don't change it. From what I understand the most important part is just progressing week to week (adding weight or doing an extra rep within the rep range).

As for pictures, you definitely look like you've gotten bigger man good job.
    Thank you! Respect brahh.

Originally Posted by db213506 View Post
    I think you're showing some pretty good progress. Especially for only 3 months. Calorie in-take seems pretty good and protein is right on. If anything, you could take in more protein to help build faster. About the only recommendation I would have, if you are able to do it, it split your days up. If you are able to, workout 5 days a week and really focus on a specific area. You want to spend more time working your bigger body parts (chest, shoulders, and back). For instance, you could do legs with bis. Switch it up and always keep your body guessin. Don't do the same routine over and over again. Chest and tris is a good combo....but switch it up, like one week do really heavy chest and light tris, then the next week do less chest and more tris. Also, mix around with repetitions and heavy/light weight. If you want lean muscle to less weight higher reps, but if you want good bulk muscle do heavy weight low reps.

Other than that man I think your right on track. Looking pretty good. Keep eatin like a horse and hittin the gym and you'll get there!
    So essentially something like this is what you saying:

1 week: Hit chest and tri equal
    2nd week: Hit chest more and tri less
    3rd week: hit chest less and tri more

Then rinse and repeat with all other workout's in a similar manner?

Oh and thanks for the comments!

Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I haven't even seen the picture (loading way too slow on my phone and crappy internet speed ATM), but just from reading I can tell you can fix a few things to maximize your results. 1. Is your diet. 150lbs and 4000 calories is way too much, unless your are super active and burn alot of calories throughout the day, like more than most people. Having said that, are you actually tracking all your calories everyday it did you just do it one day? 4000 calories is a ton. Considering, you can only produce 3-5lbs a month, you are exceeding your requirements. You dont need to eat so much, cause you clearly have put on more weight in 3 months than necessary. Im not saying this to discourage you, but if you kept this up for another 3-6 months, you will start to look quite soft. Beyond that, I dont even know how you can eat 4000 calories and only get 150g protein. I would have to purposely avoid protein to accomplish that. Lol. I routinely hit 150g protein on my ~2500 calorie bulk. 2. Noobies can benefit from hitting bodyparts more than once a week. You should def get on a 5x5 plan or something similar. I wasted almost a year dicking around with a split similar to what you are on. I had decent results, but a noob will get results on anything. Sooner or later, you will have to get on a proven routine.

I didnt mean for that to come across harsh, I was just trying to whip out a quick reply on my lunch while I was browsing. I think if you made some tweaks to your diet and workout routine, you'd be quite happy with your results.

New Acc. Rep? I Rep Back. Fredo95's Avatar
    Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice progress for 3 months brah. Keep workin'. Although, in my opinion, for your age and gym time, I think ya shouldn't train 6 days per week. Just my opinion, but if you're feeling good with it, keep it up.
    Peace, Fredo.

Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Asp1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    eat eat EAT! You'll grow... Listen to your buddy. If its telling you its too sore, u gotta listen.

Six days a week sounds like alot!

But overall, nice progress. Keep pushing!
    Last edited by Asp1; 12-04-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
    I haven't even seen the picture (loading way too slow on my phone and crappy internet speed ATM), but just from reading I can tell you can fix a few things to maximize your results. 1. Is your diet. 150lbs and 4000 calories is way too much, unless your are super active and burn alot of calories throughout the day, like more than most people. Having said that, are you actually tracking all your calories everyday it did you just do it one day? 4000 calories is a ton. Considering, you can only produce 3-5lbs a month, you are exceeding your requirements. You dont need to eat so much, cause you clearly have put on more weight in 3 months than necessary. Im not saying this to discourage you, but if you kept this up for another 3-6 months, you will start to look quite soft. Beyond that, I dont even know how you can eat 4000 calories and only get 150g protein. I would have to purposely avoid protein to accomplish that. Lol. I routinely hit 150g protein on my ~2500 calorie bulk. 2. Noobies can benefit from hitting bodyparts more than once a week. You should def get on a 5x5 plan or something similar. I wasted almost a year dicking around with a split similar to what you are on. I had decent results, but a noob will get results on anything. Sooner or later, you will have to get on a proven routine.

I didnt mean for that to come across harsh, I was just trying to whip out a quick reply on my lunch while I was browsing. I think if you made some tweaks to your diet and workout routine, you'd be quite happy with your results.
    Well typically I come off eating about 3500 calories, which I think is fairly decent, there's just times I feel I could add an extra meal into there to up to me 3500. I did eat 2500 calories before but I hit a stall period of about 2 weeks where I didnt gain any weight!

And just to confirm, your saying I should hit one body part per day, 5 days a week or?

PS: Thanks to all the other comments guys! what I meant was I do work out 6 days a week with one day break because my body can do it, without having to attempt to MAKE it to do it! Any more opinions are helpful!

Originally Posted by Fredo95 View Post
    Nice progress for 3 months brah. Keep workin'. Although, in my opinion, for your age and gym time, I think ya shouldn't train 6 days per week. Just my opinion, but if you're feeling good with it, keep it up.
    Am currently training 6 days a week, updated it up there!

Also on debate if I should continue doing my routine or switch to a routine that's one body part a day at the gym, 5 days a week?

All repped above, thanksss!
    Last edited by samtronswt; 12-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.

New Acc. Rep? I Rep Back. Fredo95's Avatar
    Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fredo95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Am currently training 6 days a week, updated it up there!

Also on debate if I should continue doing my routine or switch to a routine that's one body part a day at the gym, 5 days a week?

All repped above, thanksss!
    Well, I'm currently training 6 days per week right now. To be honest, it's my first time doing it. When I first began I did a 3 day split with high volume, since I was training each body part once a week and it worked very well for me. Even though, my favorite workout plan is Arnold Schwarzenegger's 4 day split which is Mon/Thu: Legs & Chest | Tue/Fri: Shoulders, Back, Triceps & Biceps | Wed: Work on your week points, if ya've any. Each individual is different, but you'll find a workout plan that suits ya throughout your bb journey.
    Peace, Fredo.

That's exactly what I'm thinking! My plan has actually been working quite good right now, so I'm curious if it's worth switching up yet or keep going till progress/IF progress slows down?

Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000) Blacklac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, 5x5 isn't a 5 days a week routine. Its a group of compound lifts, typically an "A" workout and a "B" workout that you rotate. The 5x5 is for 5 sets of 5 reps. Check out the workout program forum, you'll see what I mean. There's just no need to workout 5/6 days a week, when you can hit all bodyparts 2 or 3 times a week, working out 3 days, and get better results. Plus the programs are usually made with progressive overload so you are adding weight every week, at least, with some resets built in incase you fail when the weight gets too heavy.

Im stuck on the debate still between keepin the split or doing 5x5 workout. Any more feedback would be appreciated!

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have no room to give tips. But listen to the guys who have well more vast knowledge than me.

However, I will say for 3 months your looking great, keep up the good work. The reward your seeking is quickly coming.

Nice work!

Originally Posted by ktothewire View Post
    I have no room to give tips. But listen to the guys who have well more vast knowledge than me.

However, I will say for 3 months your looking great, keep up the good work. The reward your seeking is quickly coming.

Nice work!
    Thank you for the comment, will rep as soon as it allows me to rep more!

OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice gains - can definitely tell you've put on mass. GJ and keep eating.

As for the workouts, if I were you I'd look into a 5x5 or 5-3-1 plan to put on some mass - I'm just switching off a 6on1off and probably going back to a 5x5 or try a 5-3-1 workout.

Originally Posted by OkashiiKen View Post
    Nice gains - can definitely tell you've put on mass. GJ and keep eating.

As for the workouts, if I were you I'd look into a 5x5 or 5-3-1 plan to put on some mass - I'm just switching off a 6on1off and probably going back to a 5x5 or try a 5-3-1 workout.
    So a 5x5 workout seems to be what I'll be going on from all the comments and opinions! I assume I'll be happier with my gains in the months to come?

By the way, thanks to everyone for all your opinions, it really means a lot. Didn't have too many people believe me, got laughed at when I said I was starting to go to the gym. Now I feel better then ever and again thanks so much for all the support

byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im stuck on the debate still between keepin the split or doing 5x5 workout. Any more feedback would be appreciated!
    Drop the split. You aren't ready for a 5x5 program yet. 5x5 is for intermediates. You are still a novice. What is your experience with barbells?

You should start Starting Strength. Stick to the program exactly. Drink a gallon of milk a day. You should try to eat 5000 calories a day if possible. Once you are (correctly) squatting 225 you can think about switching to a 5x5 program.

BTW your 3 months progress is good, your dedication is paying off.

faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) faek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by byates5637 View Post
    You should try to eat 5000 calories a day if possible.
    no. definitely not.

byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000) byates5637 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by faek View Post
    no. definitely not.
    Why not? Mark Rippetoe recommends eating up to 6000 a day. OP is ready to have a growth spurt.

Originally Posted by byates5637 View Post
    Drop the split. You aren't ready for a 5x5 program yet. 5x5 is for intermediates. You are still a novice. What is your experience with barbells?

You should start Starting Strength. Stick to the program exactly. Drink a gallon of milk a day. You should try to eat 5000 calories a day if possible. Once you are (correctly) squatting 225 you can think about switching to a 5x5 program.

BTW your 3 months progress is good, your dedication is paying off.
    Thanks for the comment!

Okay so I'll skip the 5x5 program for now, maybe wait another 3 months until I head over to that. Just curious on why I should push up to 5000 calories and not stick with 3500-4000? Would I not be gaining excess fat I don't need?

Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All I see is fat !! that's fat bro it's not muscle at all
    but .... i think you r in the right way to fatness

jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dopey001 View Post
    All I see is fat !! that's fat bro it's not muscle at all
    but .... i think you r in the right way to fatness
    Here comes the troll again....put a real pic of yourself up as your avi pic...quit lying!

Great job op...solid progress, eat good and lift hard. Keep it up.

Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopey001 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jeffl1980 View Post
    Here comes the troll again....put a real pic of yourself up as your avi pic...quit lying!

Great job op...solid progress, eat good and lift hard. Keep it up.
    why would i lie about that !!!! that's me bro .. because you couldn't do anything in your life .. 2 years or 3 in lifting and i came in 4 months in street workout and i did what you can never do !! pathetic !!!!!! that's me if you don't like it go burn some fat and train hard ... don't lose hope bro

jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffl1980 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dopey001 View Post
    why would i lie about that !!!! that's me bro .. because you couldn't do anything in your life .. 2 years or 3 in lifting and i came in 4 months in street workout and i did what you can never do !! pathetic !!!!!! that's me if you don't like it go burn some fat and train hard ... don't lose hope bro
    If it was you. You would post a pic of your face. You posted a video of you doing 1 half ass muscle up...the pic and video is of two different people. Are you gonna tell me you went from 122-164 in 1 month doing a street work....how about you shut me up with a pic.

This is you (skinny arms, little back)

This is NOT you

Quit trolling Dopey001, and quit talking smack about other people.
    Last edited by jeffl1980; 12-07-2012 at 12:40 PM.

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jeffl1980 View Post
    If it was you. You would post a pic of your face. You posted a video of you doing 1 half ass muscle up...the pic and video is of two different people. Are you gonna tell me you went from 122-164 in 1 month doing a street work....how about you shut me up with a pic.
    +1 !!!!

Can anyone else let me know what i should do now? Keep doing the split as i do it till 6 months in then switch into 5x5? Maybe even move to an upper/lower split? Any feedback appreciated!

Definitely start doing the "Starting Strength" program. Squats, Deadlifts and bench should be your core lifts. Learn them well and you will grow quick. And become stronger than all your friends.

Here is a guide: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=998224&page=1

JN3LSON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great progress man. There's a huge overall difference. You went from looking scrawny to fit quick!

Originally Posted by JN3LSON View Post
    Great progress man. There's a huge overall difference. You went from looking scrawny to fit quick!
    Thanks a lot!

And that starting strenght is only working out 3 times week though, you sure thats enough for me?