Registered User GermanChocolate's Avatar
    GermanChocolate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I over-thinking this whole cutting thing? Need advice on my plan

I'm still semi-new to this and taking care of myself so I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question. But you never know until you ask, right?

My boyfriend is heading to basic in a couple weeks and I want to take the next 5 months to better myself. I have been working to losing fat and gaining muscle since September. The results have been ok, but not as great as I want because I would cheat 2 days out of the week (on the weekends when my boyfriend came over). I am ready for that toned look, to get my thighs smaller and my butt firmer.

I have attached this photo to show I'm probably around 20% right now (I can kinda, sorta see definition in my abs when I tilt a certain way ) and I want to have the look at 15-17%. I'm assuming I have to lose the body fat by cutting, once I have lost the fat I will bulk up a bit with muscle. I am 5'6 and weigh about 140 pounds. I am planning on eating 1650 calories a day, 140 grams of protein, so on. I have read the stickies for nutrition.

I am also lifting hard and heavy 4 times a week and I'm thinking of doing cardio 4-5 times a week as well to get faster results. Will including cardio help or will that actually hurt my body? I know a lot of people say you don't need cardio, but I enjoy it and it is good for your overall health.

Ok, so this all seems kinda basic. Eat less than you burn, build and prepare the muscles that will show when you lose your fat, and stay consistent with my diet and macros.

Did I cover everything I will need to have visible definition all over my body? I feel I'm missing something in my plan.

Also, can anyone estimate when I will reach my goal of that look at 15-17%? I don't have a specific goal weight. I honestly don't care if I gain weight if it means more visible muscles. But I did plan on cutting for the next 5-6 months. Is that too much or should I just keep cutting until I look in the mirror and like what I see?
    Attached Images

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GermanChocolate View Post
    Ok, so this all seems kinda basic. Eat less than you burn, build and prepare the muscles that will show when you lose your fat, and stay consistent with my diet and macros.

Did I cover everything I will need to have visible definition all over my body? I feel I'm missing something in my plan.
    the bit that you're missing is that you can't build muscle to anything significant degree at the same time as you lose fat. not within five months anyway.

BTW that BF comparison pic is pretty much useless. half covered front shots mean nothing, because women can vary tremendously in terms of where they store their bodyfat (hint: it's not all spread evenly). a 'lean' or flattering front or upper body doesn't mean the women in those pics mightn't possess a big ole ass to hide their goo.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pictures aren't great for estimating BF. Most of the BF measurement systems are wildly inaccurate so to choose an actual percent based on a photo is futile. Pictures are good for showing progress or using examples, but other than that I wouldn't concern yourself with what you see in a picture. If you are around 20% it will take a few months to drop down to 15-17%.

Originally Posted by catskills View Post
    Pictures aren't great for estimating BF. Most of the BF measurement systems are wildly inaccurate so to choose an actual percent based on a photo is futile. Pictures are good for showing progress or using examples, but other than that I wouldn't concern yourself with what you see in a picture. If you are around 20% it will take a few months to drop down to 15-17%.
    Thanks! Yeah, I know its not accurate, but I was going based on what I look like and what I want to look like. I am not a big numbers person anyway. The only reason I know how much I weigh is because I had a doctor appointment and I had to get on the scale. I'm just planning on looking in the mirror and taking pictures, possibly measuring myself too.

But overall, do you think I understand the basics of cutting? That's what I was concerned about. I don't wanna do all this for months and realize I did one part wrong. For the past few months I have been working out and eating at maintenance and still awesome results, but I just now realize I should have been on a cut.

Sorry, I chose the wrong word, but thanks for clatrifying.

The picture was more of a visual image so people could see what I look like and what I want to look like, should have made that clear but thanks. And I chose the wrong word, I know that's what bulking is for, but