Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'4", 136 lbs
    BodyPoints: 48
    soilent is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Visit soilent's BodySpace

Has anyone taken the ACSM cPT test? Looking for some advice.

So, I just received a BS in Kinesiology- Fitness and Human Performance. I've also been lifting and dieting for close to ten years, so I'm pretty well versed in the field of health and fitness/ Kinesiology. My question is, is it okay to just study the ACSM Certification Review book? Seeing as I have a college degree and several years of experience, I feel like I just need to review as opposed opposed to study and learn the material from the big cPT book. My degree progression was largely based off of ACSM guidelines, so I feel like I'm pretty well prepared.

Will I be alright doing this, or should I spend the extra money and get the big cPT book to study? Also, I took the practice test in the back of the review book and did pretty good without reviewing at all. Is that test similar to the actual cPT test? Thanks. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Stats: 6'1", 165 lbs
    Kthumm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Kthumm's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by soilent View Post
    So, I just received a BS in Kinesiology- Fitness and Human Performance. I've also been lifting and dieting for close to ten years, so I'm pretty well versed in the field of health and fitness/ Kinesiology. My question is, is it okay to just study the ACSM Certification Review book? Seeing as I have a college degree and several years of experience, I feel like I just need to review as opposed opposed to study and learn the material from the big cPT book. My degree progression was largely based off of ACSM guidelines, so I feel like I'm pretty well prepared.

Will I be alright doing this, or should I spend the extra money and get the big cPT book to study? Also, I took the practice test in the back of the review book and did pretty good without reviewing at all. Is that test similar to the actual cPT test? Thanks. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    I passed it today with a 668. I am a senior finishing up my B.S. In Kinesiology Exercise Science and it was still a tough test but definitely manageable. Over the last month I read all 3 books however the review was the most useful. Definitely need to focus on recommendations for specific populations and risk stratification.

Stats: 5'4", 136 lbs
    BodyPoints: 48
    soilent is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Visit soilent's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Kthumm View Post
    I passed it today with a 668. I am a senior finishing up my B.S. In Kinesiology Exercise Science and it was still a tough test but definitely manageable. Over the last month I read all 3 books however the review was the most useful. Definitely need to focus on recommendations for specific populations and risk stratification.
    Hey, thanks for replying! When you say review do you mean the review book as a whole? Or the review tests at the end of each chapter? Also, is the practice test at the end of the review book pretty similar to the real test? I took it and managed to get 80% without doing any real studying. Does that mean I'm in pretty good shape? I still plan on studying quite a bit more of course and definitely want to get my risk stratifications, metabolic equations and exercise prescriptions down solid. What sort of metabolic equation questions did they ask? i.e. running, walking, cycling, etc. What about questions on spotting techniques? The review book is very clinical with questions like a what to do with a client post CABG surgery. Are there questions like that?

Sorry to ask you so much, but at a $220 testing fee (with my ACSM discount!) I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into. Thanks.