kingcozzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help me come up with a good diet please

Ok so I am trying to get six meals a day to keep my metabolism going and that should help me lose stomach fat as well.

Here is my current food schedule

7:45 - Cereal = 350 Calories

10:45 - Granola Bar = 100 Calories

12:15 - Sandwich = 300 Calories

3:30 - Granola Bar = 100 Calories

5:00 - Partial Dinner = 300 Calories

8:00 - Partial Dinner = 300 Calories

Ok so here is the issues that I am having with this diet. First of all, I am only getting in 1450 calories which is near starvation mode, my goal is to have 1700-1800. I figure I could just increase my snack calories, but the issue is due to work, granola bar is the most convenient item for me to eat. Are there other options that are snacks and pack some more calories?

My next biggest issue is my dinner. I split it up into two, which I prefer, but I am unsure what exactly to eat. Currently, I split the meals by eating two microwavable smartchoice meals, however that is a whole lot of sodium. I know many of you will say you should cook something, but due to my job, I am in banking and work ridiculous hours, I can't really cook. So what options do I have for dinner that are healthy and easy to make. Please advise. Thanks.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    6 meals a day for metabolism? It makes no difference. Eat 3 if you'd rather

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    6 meals a day for metabolism? It makes no difference. Eat 3 if you'd rather
    I heard six meals a day with smaller portions is much better for you than the regular three.

KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000) KouRon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Meal frequency has no impact on metabolism. Overall caloric intake does.

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.
    From leangains.com
    ★★★ I was part of Ultra 2013 Thread Crew ★★★
    No Fap October 2012 COMPLETED!
    Misc Persian Crew
    -->>MMC<<--
    Dorian Yates training = The only way to train!
    M4L Krew Representing!~
    RIP - Az "Zyzz" Sergeyevich :( , The god has fallen, but the legend lives on! <3

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kingcozzi View Post
    I heard six meals a day with smaller portions is much better for you than the regular three.
    Stop reading wherever you are finding that old myth info

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ok so I am trying to get six meals a day to keep my metabolism going
    Stop right there, this is not correct. The number of meals you eat has no impact on your metabolism. Several meals per day based on the latest diet science from the 80's. Ignore it.

Here is my current food schedule

7:45 - Cereal = 350 Calories

10:45 - Granola Bar = 100 Calories

12:15 - Sandwich = 300 Calories

3:30 - Granola Bar = 100 Calories

5:00 - Partial Dinner = 300 Calories

8:00 - Partial Dinner = 300 Calories
    /migraine

Ok so here is the issues that I am having with this diet. First of all, I am only getting in 1450 calories which is near starvation mode, my goal is to have 1700-1800. I figure I could just increase my snack calories, but the issue is due to work, granola bar is the most convenient item for me to eat. Are there other options that are snacks and pack some more calories?

My next biggest issue is my dinner. I split it up into two, which I prefer, but I am unsure what exactly to eat. Currently, I split the meals by eating two microwavable smartchoice meals, however that is a whole lot of sodium. I know many of you will say you should cook something, but due to my job, I am in banking and work ridiculous hours, I can't really cook. So what options do I have for dinner that are healthy and easy to make. Please advise. Thanks.
    You can't just lose "stomach fat". You're gong to lose it from where ever your body wants to lose it from.

Cooking can be done when you have time in batches and stick it in tupperware or something for easy access later. I'm always making my lunch and late morning breakfast for the next day as I'm cooking dinner that night.

If you're starving then you're starving, eat more food. Starvation diets don't work so don't try it.

I would also never recommend "healthy" microwave dinners since in my mind no such thing exists but I'll leave that decision up to you.

As for what sorts of foods to eat, some people on here would probably burn me at the stake for what I eat. I basically take in a lot of animal fats and proteins all week, basically meat, eggs, heavy cream, etc. and carb up once a week on the "worst" carbs you can which basically includes General Tso's Chicken, ramen noodles, Donuts, and Ice Cream to refill my glycogen stores after being ultra low carb all week.

A diet that works for you though is going to take some trial and error.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Stop reading wherever you are finding that old myth info
    He probably got it from BB.com honestly. I know that's why I did this for a couple weeks when I first started.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

Ok cool, yes I was getting the six meal advice from google and from BB as well. I hear everyone talking about it so I assumed there was some true to it. Ok this makes it a whole lot easier then. Also do you guys have any good options for dinner, I am not a big cook, but I dont mind making something if it doesn't take a whole lot of time.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm concerned that your daily energy intake is perhaps acutely deficient and the macronutrient composition of your diet might well be deficient as well.

So, let's start with the basics:

What's your estimated BMR and TDEE? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you male or female? Do you know your approximate percentage body fat? About how many grams of protein and fat are you consuming per day?

My BMR is 1600. I weigh close to a 170 lbs and am 5'11. I have been working out chest, triceps, shoulders, biceps, back, and most other parts. However, my body structure is unique. I am skinny, but I have a fairly large belly relative to my size. I would say most of my fat is located around my waist. I have access to a decent gym and can get whatever groceries I need, its just that I am not a big cook. I am starting to love working out and I have started HIIT training. My biggest issue is my belly and lovehandles, if i can reduce that, I will look decent and I have made very good progress on muscle growth for my arms. So please help me out lol. I have the dedication, I just dont know what technique to do.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^^^ It sounds like you have a common fat pattern and you sound like you fit the description of "skinny-fat", in which case you should bulk.

You also should select a productive workout program, such as Starting Strength, and consider dropping the HIIT unless you simply enjoy it.

Your energy intake is astonishingly deficient, as your intake isn't even equal to your BMR (which I think you might have miscalculated).

What's your estimated TDEE? Also, what's the macronutrient composition of your diet?

The online TDEE calculators are giving me values ranging from 2600-2900. I used calculators for my BMR as well. So I dont know what the official number is for that either. In terms of nutrients, I try to get about 60-70 grams of protein a day. I am trying to lower sugar, but I seem to be getting alot into my diet no matter how hard i try and cut. So you are saying I should drop HIIT? Should i do steady cardio or any cardio? If I bulk more won't I become fatter?

kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your getting a lot of sugar from the cereal and granola bars. And nobody is gonna build youa diet on here, BUT you will get help if you put something together on here and have ?'s about it. Not being an ass that's just how it is

Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    nothing wrong with sugar...btw
    "Voracious Overeaters Crew" (JasonDB) lol

Starting weight 235 lbs(April 2012) - Oct 29/12 159.1 lbs (FAIL)

Starting weight again 230 -235 lbs May 2015 - Nov 2015.. 211.9

Bulking

I try to get about 60-70 grams of protein a day.
    That's deficient. What's your average intake of dietary fat?

Yes I understand I need to build my own plan, but I need some guidance on where to start. I have a dilemma, if I workout and gain muscle it will not reduce my belly fat, if I do alot of cardio, I will reduce belly fat, but also end up burning muscle, so im kind of stuck.

Im a noobie at this, what do you mean dietary fat?

Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lol cardio doesnt burn fat or muscle....calorie deficit burns fat.

If you bulk like you have been guided to you will gain muscle and your fat will be less noticeable and you will have a much better base to cut down to when the time comes.

You have been reading to many stupid internet articles or magazines that are paid for by the supplement companies

Dietary fat is something that is vital to your health and covered in the stickies that you are suppose to read before creating this thread

Bulking

Yes I understand I need to build my own plan, but I need some guidance on where to start.
    Start here.

Ok and also going on the previous comment about bulking, I am not trying to make it less noticeable, I am trying to make it less in general

Fine then cut...and enjoy the new mini fat version of yourself. Cutting when you have no muscle mass will not help your problem what so ever.

Bulking

ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok and also going on the previous comment about bulking, I am not trying to make it less noticeable, I am trying to make it less in general
    Sounds like you are new to lifting in general...if you start bulking as is strongly suggested here...Your body is going to change, and most likely your little fat belly is going to shrink in the process. A small surplus of maybe 10% over maintenance calories will help your body start building new muscle and thus changing your body. It's called recomposition. Eat a surplus...lift heavy using compound lifts like bench, squat, deadlift, row...WIN!

Also, dietary fat = the fat you consume in your daily food intake. You need at least 0.4g/LB of bodyweight of this.
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs Thread

"I think most of us would pay good money to be able to fit a whole jar of the greatest thing known to man into our macros on a daily basis." - MikeK46

Ok cool, that clears it up alot. I am going to hit the grocery store today and make sure I start eating more calories. So would I still need to do cardio or should I just focus on lifting. I guess I will stop HIIT cardio then.

ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok cool, that clears it up alot. I am going to hit the grocery store today and make sure I start eating more calories. So would I still need to do cardio or should I just focus on lifting. I guess I will stop HIIT cardio then.
    If you enjoy cardio, there is nothing wrong with doing it. Just don't use cardio to change what you can do with food intake.
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs Thread

"I think most of us would pay good money to be able to fit a whole jar of the greatest thing known to man into our macros on a daily basis." - MikeK46