Registered User aintliftingthat's Avatar
    aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How realistic is it to get off the ground without first working at a commercial gym?

I've been doing some research and thinking about going into training. I have a BS in Exercise Science, but no cert yet (which I plan to get soon). Been out for a couple years, trying to find my place in the work world and I'm just struggling, so I figured why not make a living doing something I love.

The problem is all the gyms around here hire trainers directly and they work a set schedule (usually full time). That won't really jive with my current job and these gyms also pay peanuts so I can't quit my current job, either if I want to be able to eat.

GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50) GTTony will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are actually in a pretty similar situation as myself right now. I have a full time job that will really pay off later down the line alongside my personal training side job. I've looked into the gym positions as well and don't think there is much room for growth there.

What I have done to make use of my NASM is offer private sessions at my client's homes, my home gym, and even at a public private gym for trainer-clients only. An older trainer told me that although you get a lot of experience dealing with people through a gym position, the pay is meager and you have to deal with a lot of other bull****. If you are personable enough and motivated you can easily find some clients to work with you after your working hours.
    Goal: 250 Bench
    Current: 205

Burnzy7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Burnzy7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Burnzy7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did. I started as a mobile PT and started a few community hall fitness classes. Built these up, then started a bootcamp (full straight away as all my current class members signed up) . Gained pt clients from the classes and the rest is history.
    1 year later i now run my own warehouse fitness facility!

Sounds easy, worked on average of 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past year. But its certainly worth it. And i started with £80.00 in my bank (around $110?)

Hope this helps and i wish you sucess!

aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) aintliftingthat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks, guys. My main concern is just being comfortable around clients and getting experience there before really setting out. I'm going to train some friends to work the kinks out while working towards my cert. My GF is also an RD who is getting her own business up and running as a personal stylist, so the client stream is there.

MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaxFuark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got my start coaching boxing and them got my cert and started doiing personal training sessions with the weights and stuff we had at the gym. Built my business from the ground up and learned everything the hard way. It paid off though I get a great rate in terms of what I have to give to the gym for rent. Because of that I can charge less than other local gyms and make more per session.

I'm getting a solid stream of clients and starting up a bootcamp in the new year for more money.
    -We're all gonna make it brah-

Fan of classic trance? Like Fuark Classic Peakin' Tracks on ********
    ********.com/FuarkClassicPeakingTracks

*A State of Trance Crew*

~Getting shredded in memory of Zyzz~

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Look for a company that specializes in home workouts or work place workouts - they are usually small companies that have a small staff of maybe 2-3 trainers. Either that or boutique gyms/studios will often be looking for extra trainers part time as well to take overflow.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    plenty of people become Independent personal trainers from scratch. is this what you mean an independent personal trainer where you set your own rates and makes deals with other gyms to train in their facility?
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

Originally Posted by JohnSmeton View Post
    plenty of people become Independent personal trainers from scratch. is this what you mean an independent personal trainer where you set your own rates and makes deals with other gyms to train in their facility?
    Yes, I'm talking about being independent from the start. As far as where to train, I haven't though that through too much yet. The plan is to eventually own my own small facility, but until then I think the best plan is to buy some equipment and go to the clients. My reasoning is I think it will be easier to build a base if I market myself as, "mobile trainer who comes to you".