SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SonofBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Alternatives to Hang Snatch and Clean and Press?

So one of my friends told me that I should do exercises like the Hang Snatch and Clean and Press to help me get into shape for rugby, so far it has helped me move faster and hit harder. But every time I have ever tried a workout program I will do really well for a month and then I will start to plateau, I was thinking that instead of doing only a typical Hang Snatch and Clean and Press, I mean using a barbell, I would every once and a while switch up to dumbbell version of the exercises, I think that would be a good way to change up my workout but it wouldn't drastically differnet but just enough that it would help me get over my plateau. If anybody has some advice on a better or comparable plain I would like to hear it because this happens to be some goofy plan that I came up with so any creative criticism and tips would be appreciated

KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50) KidAlchemy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would suggest doing hang snatch and clean&press 531 style. Like doing snatch one day and clean&press other day and then doing the DB as an assistance. But IMO you should only do the prescribed reps when doing this way and not AMRAP because you should'nt do olympic lifts multiple reps because it will lead to poor form eventually and then to injury.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There's no reason why you couldn't mix in one arm db snatches, but I wouldn't drop hang snatches altogether because of the technical demands of the lift. As for clean and presses I've never seen the point except for a cardio type workout... when you become adept at cleans you will be able to clean much more than you will be able to press.

As for specific advice on how to break through a plateau, I'd need to know more about your routine. There's no reason why you can't do hang snatches 3 days a week so long as you vary the intensity. Side note: how capable are you at getting down into the hole and recovering the weight in an overhead squat position? Once you get good at that you can start handling significantly more weight.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SonofBeast View Post
    So one of my friends told me that I should do exercises like the Hang Snatch and Clean and Press to help me get into shape for rugby, so far it has helped me move faster and hit harder. But every time I have ever tried a workout program I will do really well for a month and then I will start to plateau, I was thinking that instead of doing only a typical Hang Snatch and Clean and Press, I mean using a barbell, I would every once and a while switch up to dumbbell version of the exercises, I think that would be a good way to change up my workout but it wouldn't drastically differnet but just enough that it would help me get over my plateau. If anybody has some advice on a better or comparable plain I would like to hear it because this happens to be some goofy plan that I came up with so any creative criticism and tips would be appreciated
    What makes you think you'll plateau on these? The Olympic lifts are fundamentally different in their nature from most other exercises so what applies to one thing might not necessarily apply here. You're already making assumptions on your progress on exercises that you haven't even done before- why?

Your friend is very correct in that they are very good for developing athletic ability so just stick with them and make gradual progress. Stick to low reps (never above 3) and maintain good technique. Also consider switching the strict press for a push press or a jerk. The dumbbell variants are very different from the barbell ones so they aren't really alternatives to one another but very different exercises entirely.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50) IntraVol will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are heaps of alternatives to bust that plateau but first you need to know existing programming. There is more to it than slapping on some weights and going for it.

For the snatch movement work on squating because if you can't squat when you're in that receiving position then you've got no chance. Phase work is important also. Try Snatch Balance, Snatch Deadlifting, Pause Snatch Desdlifting, Snatch High Pulls, Tall Snatching, etc....
    BAppSc(Hons) - Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise and Nutrition Sciences)
    MDietSt - Master of Dietetics Studies

University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Team FIT Athlete @ St Marys CrossFit.
    Asics Sponsered Athlete.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IntraVol View Post
    There are heaps of alternatives to bust that plateau but first you need to know existing programming. There is more to it than slapping on some weights and going for it.

For the snatch movement work on squating because if you can't squat when you're in that receiving position then you've got no chance. Phase work is important also. Try Snatch Balance, Snatch Deadlifting, Pause Snatch Desdlifting, Snatch High Pulls, Tall Snatching, etc....
    Negs on recharge.

Reason: Crossfit

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    Negs on recharge.

Reason: Crossfit
    Those were good suggestions though.... aside from the deadlifting variations since those don't have much specific transfer to hang snatches. A lot of getting better at the Olympic lifting movements is improving your technique.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    Those were good suggestions though.... aside from the deadlifting variations since those don't have much specific transfer to hang snatches. A lot of getting better at the Olympic lifting movements is improving your technique.
    OP gives a really incomplete breakdown of what it is he's doing. I will give him far better (read: non-Crossfit) advice on how to actually get strong if he tells me exactly what sets/reps of all the exercises he's doing as well as his complete plan for how to add weight onto his lifts.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by IntraVol View Post

Actually I disagree here. Although you list great exercises, I have not found them to have as much carryover as opposed to just doing the full snatch more often. If you're training the full snatch just once a week, don't expect to make too much progress on it. Try it twice a week (as opposed to filling your time with too many snatch related exercises). The reason I don't like snatch pulls is that there is no element of full commitment to the lift: you just pull the bar up and thats it. However with the full snatch you have to bang it up with all your might and then drop down to rack it.

Now I'm not saying that snatch related exercises are useless, they most certainly are not and they have their place in training. However if you have a choice between doing full snatches and doing assistance work, the full snatch will always be better. I used to do hang/block snatches and snatch balances once a week and full snatches once a week and my overhead stability as well as power development wasn't progressing as I'd have liked it to. However once I switched to snatching twice a week and dropping those two first exercises, I got much better.

One snatch assistance exercise that I have found to be helpful is the snatch grip push press because if you don't have the strength to hold that bar up there, there is no way you'll make the lift and most people just aren't used to holding weights overhead with a very wide grip.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    squat snatch, power snatch, snatch pull, hang snatch, hang snatch pull

hang clean, power clean, power clean and split jerk, clean pull, push press, jerk off rack

you need to do some squats for legs try slow down up faster explosive
    Snatch 145kgs Clean and Jerk 172.5kgs Front Squat 185kgs Deadlift 205kgs BW 74 kgs

An old git training for fun now.

T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10) T69M is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The reason I don't like snatch pulls is that there is no element of full commitment to the lift: you just pull the bar up and thats it. However with the full snatch you have to bang it up with all your might and then drop down to rack it.

then if you do pulls like that you not doing it right. it should be with full commitment as if you are trying to pull it to your chin
    Snatch 145kgs Clean and Jerk 172.5kgs Front Squat 185kgs Deadlift 205kgs BW 74 kgs

An old git training for fun now.

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Try using a plan made by an actual person who has done research into exercise science.