babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Jump-setting too good not to do?

My current workout involves performing a set, resting 60 seconds, then performing a set for an antagonistic muscle group, then resting 60 seconds and repeating the first exercise again and so on. I currently do 32 sets, but as these are jump-setted the workouts only take me 50 minutes to complete. As you are almost constantly doing things for 50 minutes this has a great cardio benefit as demonstrated to me the other day when I played squash/racquetball for the first time in about a month having done nothing but this new jump-set workout. I played for almost 2 hours and barely had any sweat on my shirt whereas usually it's soaked through. I am doing an upper/lower split currently.

I would like to add more variety to the workout in terms of exercises, but I don't really have any juice left after 50 minutes of jump-setting big compounds for chest and back. For example, I would like to add incline DB flyes and DB shrugs. Thus I was thinking of changing to a push/pull split instead, but this would mean I wouldn't be able to jump-set antagonistic muscle groups. It seems a shame to lose the efficiency and cardio benefits that can be gained from doing so much in such a short amount of time!

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Solution: harden up and do flys + shrugs anyway. No need to completely rewrite/overhaul your program to bring those two exercises in, just do 2 alternating sets of them after your current upper body work. We're talking an extra 5-10min here. You'll survive.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what does your current routine look like? 32 sets seems like a lot for an upper lower split, but its hard to judge without seeing everything your doing. at any rate it seems you could likely just replace 2 lifts your currently doing with flies/shrugs on one of your upper body days.

babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) babelbell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Solution: harden up and do flys + shrugs anyway. No need to completely rewrite/overhaul your program to bring those two exercises in, just do 2 alternating sets of them after your current upper body work. We're talking an extra 5-10min here. You'll survive.
    I can barely bring myself to do the last few exercises as it is and on more than one occasion I have called it a day after the main compound lifts because I just don't feel as though I can go on and put any meaningful effort into the remainder of the workout. Perhaps with time I will be able to cope with more.

Originally Posted by JSNeves View Post
    what does your current routine look like? 32 sets seems like a lot for an upper lower split, but its hard to judge without seeing everything your doing. at any rate it seems you could likely just replace 2 lifts your currently doing with flies/shrugs on one of your upper body days.
    5x10:
    Incline DB press / Bent over BB rows
    DB shoulder press / Chin ups
    3x10:
    Triceps dips / BB curls
    Lateral raises / BB rear deltoid raise (exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/BBRearDeltRaise.html)

Bump

Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cheeseburger12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    5x10 seems a bit much? Try 3x12 maybe then you'll have enough energy to put in those 2 exercises.