Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trans fats affect body composition IIFYM?

current fat goal is 90 grams
    as far as body composition goes, getting that fat from trans fats or saturated fats would it have an impact if I hit 90grams?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's a practical impossibility to derive all dietary fat from trans fats or saturated fat, unless you're engaging in acts of stupidly beyond belief.

That said, saturated fat is essential. Naturally occurring tans fats, in typically consumed quantities, are likely innocuous. Avoid industrial trans fats as much as possible, mostly because they're atherogenic.

JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoelJoseph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    It's a practical impossibility to derive all dietary fat from trans fats or saturated fat, unless you're engaging in acts of stupidly beyond belief.

That said, saturated fat is essential. Naturally occurring tans fats, in typically consumed quantities, are likely innocuous. Avoid industrial trans fats as much as possible, mostly because they're atherogenic.
    Apologies that should have said, 'trans fat or saturated fats ect'
    So am I right to say that IIFYM has some flaws in this sense

nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JoelJoseph View Post
    So am I right to say that IIFYM has some flaws in this sense
    Yes, IIFYM is horribly flawed because the acronym is so open to misinterpretation, straw men, and moronic extreme examples.
    Science improves practice, practice advances science.

Originally Posted by nobrah View Post
    Yes, IIFYM is horribly flawed because the acronym is so open to misinterpretation, straw men, and moronic extreme examples.
    I watched an interview with layne on the matter as far as laziness in people and IIFYM are concerned
    I find myself re thinking things such as 'complex carbs vs simple carbs' ect which at first I thought was bro science now coming closer to my diet I'd like reassurance on what is backed by science and what's just the 'lingo' on the street

nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd like reassurance on what is backed by science and what's just the 'lingo' on the street
    No problem. If you don't want to dig into studies and textbooks (I don't blame you ), just post a list of "rituals" or advice you're concerned about and folks here will tell you if it's backed by science or not. Though for a lot of stuff you may find that the answer is "it depends". For example, complex vs. simple carbs may not directly affect body composition in any significant way, but may impact performance or general health such that body composition is indirectly affected.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nobrah View Post
    I love JasonDB's explanation (perhaps paraphrased): "IIFYM's is an IQ test for the fitness world."

I love JasonDB's explanation (perhaps paraphrased): "IIFYM's is an IQ test for the fitness world."
    How apt. Eventually I won't need to post on this forum any longer because his videos answer all of the questions.

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    And by that you mean, derive all fats from trans fats, saturated fats, poly-unsaturated fats & mono-unsaturated fats? If that's the case, then how else would you get your fat?
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Originally Posted by germaine07 View Post
    And by that you mean, derive all fats from trans fats, saturated fats, poly-unsaturated fats & mono-unsaturated fats? If that's the case, then how else would you get your fat?
    again my fault
    basically what I was asking was, as far as body composition goes-
    eating a diet where fats derive from mostly trans fats vs eating a diet where fats derive mostly from 'good' fats

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    eating a diet where fats derive from mostly trans fats vs eating a diet where fats derive mostly from 'good' fats
    Your body composition would suffer greatly if you were dead.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Registered User Lincoln Biscuit's Avatar
    Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Lincoln Biscuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No it won't. In the long term it may impact on your health, but in the short term it doesn't matter. In terms of of body composition it'll make no difference. Just make sure your getting 6g fish oil per day

Trans-fat scaremongers are usually focused on overweight people who get no exercise. Since your on this site i think your not one of them. try to avoid it if possible but it'll do no harm to a healthy person.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Your body composition would suffer greatly if you were dead.
    lol

Please explain how you can compose a rational diet that derives most fat from trans fats. Also, please tell of if you're talking about industrial trans fats or naturally occurring trans fats. Lastly, what are "good fats" and "bad fats", specially?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lincoln Biscuit View Post

Trans-fat scaremongers are usually focused on overweight people who get no exercise. Since your on this site i think your not one of them. try to avoid it if possible but it'll do no harm to a healthy person.
    What?? Since when would all artificial trans fats do no harm
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

100% agree. Stay away from trans fats like the plague. First cold pressed olive oil is my favored main staple. Good old Mrs. Calment lived to 122 and poured raw olive oil on everything. Of course she smoked a few cigarettes too but that's not the point ;-) I also supplement with Martek's DHA. You can buy from any reseller. I take 1g of DHA a day. 500mg is about one tuna sandwich. Great brain food. Lol on wonderpug "chasing cats since 1967". I've caught quite a few cats myself ;-)

Originally Posted by joeyddi View Post
    Stay away from trans fats like the plague.
    That's silly. Why would you avoid red meat, for example???

Avoiding industrial trans fats, well, that's a different story.

joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joeyddi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

generally when one speaks about trans fats they are talking about the manufactured variety aka twinkies. the amount that is naturally occurring in food is drastically lower.

some knuckle heads got together and said how can we make a piece of food last a few years. They architected heating the fat up to a ridiculous amount making it like plastic with the same good fat taste. Then they stuck a twinkie in a package on a shelf for as long as it takes to get sold. Consumers went for it. Then years later everybody is showing up at the morgue from heart attacks....

generally when one speaks about trans fats they are talking about the manufactured variety aka twinkies. the amount that is naturally occurring in food is drastically lower.
    Twinkies contain 0.0 grams of trans fats. Yes, that's a big fat ZERO!

Do you want to try again?

Twinkies contain 0.0 grams of trans fats. Yes, that's a big fat ZERO!

Do you want to try again?
    i'm talking about the twinkies of old. obviously after there was a consumer backlash all the companies figured out it doesn't make good business sense to kill customers

i'm talking about the twinkies of old. obviously after there was a consumer backlash all the companies figured out it doesn't make good business sense to kill customers
    Actually, it sounds like you're talking without the knowing what you're talking about, and now you're trying to backpedal.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol hard, this.

Actually, it sounds like you're talking without the knowing what you're talking about, and now you're trying to backpedal.
    i was agreeing with you. so how would I backpedal?

joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000)
    some knuckle heads got together and said how can we make a piece of food last a few years. They architected heating the fat up to a ridiculous amount making it like plastic with the same good fat taste. Then they stuck a twinkie in a package on a shelf for as long as it takes to get sold. Consumers went for it. Then years later everybody is showing up at the morgue from heart attacks....
    lol @ blaming their deaths solely on trans fats.

arent the only legit trans fat studies done on mice and monkeys where they were given an unrealistic amount of it?

Originally Posted by joebrosef View Post
    lol @ blaming their deaths solely on trans fats.

arent the only legit trans fat studies done on mice and monkeys where they were given an unrealistic amount of it?
    just go to nih.gov and look at the 1000's of studies linking trans fats to atherosclerosis. if i could post links i would. obviously a diet of trans fats is not the sole contributor but these sorts of habits generally go hand in hand with poor education on nutrition or if they are knowledgeable than they simply don't care. to each his own. if you are knowledgeable about the dangers and still want to take the risk you are certainly willing to do so. there was a study done on bodybuilders decades ago where they were asked if they could take a pill and win olympia but also die early would they and a majority said they would. i used to be in that camp too so I understand the desire...

joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just go to nih.gov and look at the 1000's of studies linking trans fats to atherosclerosis. if i could post links i would. obviously a diet of trans fats is not the sole contributor but these sorts of habits generally go hand in hand with poor education on nutrition or if they are knowledgeable than they simply don't care. to each his own. if you are knowledgeable about the dangers and still want to take the risk you are certainly willing to do so. there was a study done on bodybuilders decades ago where they were asked if they could take a pill and win olympia but also die early would they and a majority said they would. i used to be in that camp too so I understand the desire...
    if you actually took time out to read these studies you will find that more than half of these arent relevant to humans and the other half arent relevant to people preaching moderation and healthy lifestyle.

If you want to make a claim that taking in 0.01g trans fat at one given time will increase your heartattack risk by X% then that is an opinion not supported by the facts.

Originally Posted by joebrosef View Post
    if you actually took time out to read these studies you will find that more than half of these arent relevant to humans and the other half arent relevant to people preaching moderation and healthy lifestyle.

If you want to make a claim that taking in 0.01g trans fat at one given time will increase your heartattack risk by X% then that is an opinion not supported by the facts.
    yes i agree with you on both counts. obviously all this is highly dependent on dosage. i used to work for dupont/nen where i would enter in LDL50 sheets on every chemical (ie what dose of chemicals killed half the mice). Everything had a number. Morbid work. They also had human numbers don't know where they got the data. So yes it's all dosage dependent and there is an acceptable safe level of things (ie arsenic naturally occurring in food). And you could drink enough water or eat enough sugar to kill you in one sitting which are generally considered safe. haha

Please explain how you can compose a rational diet that derives most fat from trans fats. Also, please tell of if you're talking about industrial trans fats or naturally occurring trans fats. Lastly, what are "good fats" and "bad fats", specially?
    I don't know if you understand my questions..
    Let's say a person ate 2 different meals both with the same fat in grams
    however assume one meal had more trans fats than the other
    would that affect body composition
    that is all

I don't know if you understand my questions..
    Let's say a person ate 2 different meals both with the same fat in grams
    however assume one meal had more trans fats than the other
    would that affect body composition
    that is all
    What specific fatty acids are they consuming in what specific doses and what does the rest of their total diet look like for a protracted period of time? With that information, someone might make a wild guess, especially if you use utterly extreme and ridiculous examples.