Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000) Unbiasedfan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Natural_O View Post
    Yes, I feel very fortunate to have seen Zane win all 3 of his Olympias (1977-79). There were some great memories of those contests. I also saw the 1981 Olympia, the 1986, 1990, 1996 and 1999, 2000, 2001, etc, up to the current ones. I saw the first Arnold Classic in 1989 also. I've got some good articles about those shows on RX Muscle -
    http://www.rxmuscle.com/articles/john-hansen.html
    How do you feel about the controversy involving the 2001 O?

mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by purdey View Post
    Nope, never. Do the competitors really look that different in real life to the point where the photos and video footage is almost useless for making an assessment?
    The live 3D look and the stage presence really does tell a different story. I wouldn't say video and photos are useless, but things do look different live. Plus, you get crowd reaction and the energy that a competitor stirs up and that is never captured on well on video and never on a photo.

Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Unbiasedfan View Post
    How do you feel about the controversy involving the 2001 O?
    I thought Ronnie deserved to win. Cutler was harder at the prejudging but Ronnie looked much better at the finals and he gave a high energy posing routine while Cutler sort of just walked through his routine and didn't go for it. If he would have really been aggressive, he could have pulled an upset.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

www.johnhansenfitness.com

www.musclesatthemovies.com

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I thought Ronnie deserved to win. Cutler was harder at the prejudging but Ronnie looked much better at the finals and he gave a high energy posing routine while Cutler sort of just walked through his routine and didn't go for it. If he would have really been aggressive, he could have pulled an upset.
    Sounds familiar.
    A pattern in the chaos.

FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FAN0FdaSport is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you sure Ronnie just didn't have a better physique at the finals instead of writing it off as a monkey show?

Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FAN0FdaSport View Post
    Are you sure Ronnie just didn't have a better physique at the finals instead of writing it off as a monkey show?
    Writing it off as a monkey show? What the hell does that mean?
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

anonymous
    Originally Posted by flangmasterj View Post
    Zane was well proportioned. Franco's upper body was disproportionate in relation to his legs.

You're not looking at the physique as a whole.
    If we look at the physique as a whole Platz doesn't make top 3 as he is the opposite to Franco. All legs not alot up top.

By "out of shape" I meant he wasn't at his previous best like in the '70's. EVERYONE I talked to who was actually at the show had Arnold around 5th place. Not pictures or video but at the show.

I also disagree with you about Zane. I was at every one of Zane's wins (1977-79) and he deserved everyone of them. He was so much better in person than in pictures. He wasn't small either. Bodybuilders back then were not the behemoths that compete today. The Under 200 pound class always had more competitors than the over 200 pound class.

Thanks for reading the article though!
    This is the main problem with the 1980. People look at Arnold and say he's not as good as in the early 70's.. so what? He is not against Arnold 1974 he is against these men who happen to look like pencils next to him.

I believe Mentzer, Zane, Coe etc were all very jealous that Arnold didn't have to come in at his best and he could still stand next to them at 100% and make them look small. Also that he had everything going for him with the Conan movie deal and was a successful millionaire. They all had a group mentality against him in their jealousy, I see this in every interview with them on the subject.

Onto Zane. Whenever somebody says "x bodybuilder has no legs, no delts" or whatever. You only have to look at him and despite his amazing aesthetics.. the guy is 185lbs at 5'9. He had pencil legs, no arms, no delts, no traps, no back need I go on. Mike Mentzer owned him in the 1979 Olympia aswell.

Originally Posted by ChrisMisc View Post
    If we look at the physique as a whole Platz doesn't make top 3 as he is the opposite to Franco. All legs not alot up top.

This is the main problem with the 1980. People look at Arnold and say he's not as good as in the early 70's.. so what? He is not against Arnold 1974 he is against these men who happen to look like pencils next to him.

I believe Mentzer, Zane, Coe etc were all very jealous that Arnold didn't have to come in at his best and he could still stand next to them at 100% and make them look small. Also that he had everything going for him with the Conan movie deal and was a successful millionaire. They all had a group mentality against him in their jealousy, I see this in every interview with them on the subject.

Onto Zane. Whenever somebody says "x bodybuilder has no legs, no delts" or whatever. You only have to look at him and despite his amazing aesthetics.. the guy is 185lbs at 5'9. He had pencil legs, no arms, no delts, no traps, no back need I go on. Mike Mentzer owned him in the 1979 Olympia aswell.
    Wow, you're perceptions are way off. Platz deserved 3rd? Behind who??
    To put Platz down because his legs were OVER developed but then you don't like Zane because he is Under developed??
    You don't make any sense. Platz did have incredible legs but his upper body was in proportion and he was big all over. Plus,
    he was very ripped and in shape. Franco did not have any separation in his quadriceps. Period! You can't place Franco over
    Platz, Callendar, Padilla or Dickerson because of that alone. Franco's upper body looked great (except for the gyno) but with
    zero separation in the quads, no judge in their right mind should have placed him above those other four bodybuilders. You
    don't place a bodybuilder DOWN because he has too much muscle. LOL

The bodybuilders in the 1980 were pissed at Arnold but it was more because he didn't tell anyone he was competing in the contest
    and he just jumped into the show the day before the contest. He also had a lot of his friends and business associates on the judging
    panel and he didn't do the poses that were asked of him in the prejudging. He didn't look as good as he did before but was that good
    enough to beat the bodybuilders who were on stage with him that day? That's the question. I wasn't there so I only have the pictures
    and video to go by. His legs were out of proportion. I personally thought Dickerson was the best on that day (from the pictures).

Zane was not Ronnie Coleman and he wasn't as big as Sergio or Arnold but he was the best on that day. He actually had big legs and
    a great flow to his body. He had very thick triceps and an incredibly ripped and detailed back. Again, if you weren't there to see it (and
    this is the late 1970's, not 2010) than you can't call him skinny. No offense, but anyone who calls Frank Zane skinny or "a swimmer"
    doesn't know what real bodybuilding is all about. And he beat Mentzer in the 1979 Olympia. I was sitting third row center and Mentzer
    didn't make Zane look small and Zane just had better flow to his body, he was more professional in his posing, he was more ripped and
    he deservedly won.
    Attached Images
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

anonymous
    To put Platz down because his legs were OVER developed but then you don't like Zane because he is Under developed??
    You don't make any sense.
    I was replying to the other guys post about Franco's legs being out of proportion.. if he wants to go with the proportion thing then Platz upper body is out compared to his legs. I personally believe as I said earlier in this thread Platz should have taken the show, I don't believe the proportions of these guys were a huge negative.

Zane was not Ronnie Coleman and he wasn't as big as Sergio or Arnold but he was the best on that day. He actually had big legs and
    a great flow to his body. He had very thick triceps and an incredibly ripped and detailed back. Again, if you weren't there to see it (and
    this is the late 1970's, not 2010) than you can't call him skinny. No offense, but anyone who calls Frank Zane skinny or "a swimmer"
    doesn't know what real bodybuilding is all about. And he beat Mentzer in the 1979 Olympia. I was sitting third row center and Mentzer
    didn't make Zane look small and Zane just had better flow to his body, he was more professional in his posing, he was more ripped and
    he deservedly won.
    Zane tends to look alot better on his own than next to other guys imo. Sorry, he did not have big legs John, anyone can see that. He didn't have big anything (well his wife may disagree). I don't see how you can say Frank was "more professional with his posing" than Mike Mentzer. Mentzer was an amazing poser and very professional, you can see his routine in my youtube video at 6:00..

Very jelly that you got to see that live.

anonymous
    You don't make any sense.
    I was replying to the other guys post about Franco's legs being out of proportion.. if he wants to go with the proportion thing then Platz upper body is out compared to his legs. I personally believe as I said earlier in this thread Platz should have taken the show, I don't believe the proportions of these guys were a huge negative.

he deservedly won.
    Zane tends to look alot better on his own than next to other guys imo. Sorry, he did not have big legs John, anyone can see that. He didn't have big anything (well his wife may disagree). I don't see how you can say Frank was "more professional with his posing" than Mike Mentzer in 79'. Mentzer was an amazing poser and very professional, you can see his routine in my youtube video at 6:00..

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Writing it off as a monkey show? What the hell does that mean?
    I believe he is referring to your comments regarding competitor's personalities and actions (aggressive/non-aggressive) on stage.
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

Originally Posted by DavisForman View Post
    I believe he is referring to your comments regarding competitor's personalities and actions (aggressive/non-aggressive) on stage.
    OK, thanks. I never heard that one before.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Originally Posted by ChrisMisc View Post

Zane tends to look alot better on his own than next to other guys imo. Sorry, he did not have big legs John, anyone can see that. He didn't have big anything (well his wife may disagree). I don't see how you can say Frank was "more professional with his posing" than Mike Mentzer in 79'. Mentzer was an amazing poser and very professional, you can see his routine in my youtube video at 6:00..

I was talking about the posedown between Mentzer and Zane (and the other finalists) at the '79 Olympia. Mentzer was posing very fast and not holding his poses and Zane was hitting his signature poses perfectly. Mentzer had a higher score than Zane from the morning but Zane pulled ahead at the posedown because more judges gave him a first place vote. It was his experience that allowed him to pull ahead.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

A picture of Zane in his prime. He doesn't have Tom Platz legs but you can see his legs looked very big for his body.
    Attached Images
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MaKaiser is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What I like about Zane is that he trained to look the way he thought looked good and didnt just try to slap on mass to please the judges. His legs also looked pretty good in that pic ^ cheers John.
    I Discovered A Meal Between Breakfast And Brunch

jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

A picture of Zane in his prime. He doesn't have Tom Platz legs but you can see his legs looked very big for his body.
    Great articles!
    Just finished Sergio and Zane.
    I love the historical writing.
    Well done!

edit: more pics!

edit2: ITT we need to see more Franco/Platz comparisons! Anybody?
    "As sure as the world stands, you jf1 shall spend an eternity in Hell in eternal torment..."
    jake24

NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jf1 View Post
    Great articles!
    Well done!

These are all of the ones I have, don't know if the first shot is from the 81 O, but a good shot of Platz

I know this one is from the 81 O

A fun one to finish off

I'll try and find more, but that's all that I've got (I think). Would rep anyone that posts any 81 shots as well.

NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NVious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So I found even more for those interested.

That's all for now.

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Man, Platz looked amazing, thanks for the pics man!

I don't quite agree with people when they say Platz had this huge upper/lower imbalance. The only area that I think he could have used some size was his arms, and maybe a little bit in his delts. His chest and back were huge and I don't think they were overshadowed by his legs.

I would have given 81 to Platz
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

Originally Posted by jf1 View Post
    Great articles!
    Well done!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked them. Here is a link to all of my articles if you are interested in reading them -
    https://www.rxmuscle.com/articles/john-hansen.html
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

anonymous
    NVious this is in fact a video from the 81' Olympia.

maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    enjoyed the article but i really just do not agree with the statement that arnold was a shadow of his former self in the 1980 olympia... he dominated everyone on stage still, so if he was a shadow of his former self it was still better than what anyone else brought... had to say it, anyways great artcile enjoyed the read... also franco was more conditioned than any competitor at that show including platz and im a huge platz fan.... everyone loves to create controversy, fact of the matter is arnold was the 1980 MR O and franco was the 1981 MR O
    Knowing others is wisdom;
    knowing the self is enlightenment.
    Mastering others requires force;
    mastering the self needs strength.

Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great conversation in this thread. Very interesting points John
    ~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~

The land at the end of our toes goes on and on,
    The sand at the core of our bones continues on

Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But today is chest day. So spot me maybe?

Art thou prone to such insurmountable force upon thou biceps?

Originally Posted by NVious View Post
    These are all of the ones I have, don't know if the first shot is from the 81 O, but a good shot of Platz

I know this one is from the 81 O

A fun one to finish off

I'll try and find more, but that's all that I've got (I think). Would rep anyone that posts any 81 shots as well.
    That group shot is from the 1982 Olympia
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Originally Posted by maverick000 View Post
    enjoyed the article but i really just do not agree with the statement that arnold was a shadow of his former self in the 1980 olympia... he dominated everyone on stage still, so if he was a shadow of his former self it was still better than what anyone else brought... had to say it, anyways great artcile enjoyed the read... also franco was more conditioned than any competitor at that show including platz and im a huge platz fan.... everyone loves to create controversy, fact of the matter is arnold was the 1980 MR O and franco was the 1981 MR O
    I agree that Franco looked great but he shouldn't have been any higher than fifth just because of his legs. No matter how great his upper body was and how ripped he was, those legs were terrible with not one line or separation in there. Just for that, he should never have beaten Padilla, Platz, Dickerson or Callendar.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com