Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)

Rogue R3 30" Bolt Together Initial Review

As promised, here is my Rogue 30” Bolt Together Review.

It’s really difficult to find a quality rack in Canada and not get hosed on price or shipping. I spent a good couple of months (and being a pen-pal with Accutron) trying to figure out how to get some of the Legend or Elite product into Ontario without getting raped at the border. We also looked at custom racks from companies like Edge Fitness in Ohio.

In the end it was just too much of a pain in the ass and so I settled on Rogue. Now, while I say I settled, the R3 or R4 was ALWAYS in the running for me – I just wanted to see what I could get for my $1000-$1500. I’ve purchased a number of things from Rogue (including a barbell) and I have always been impressed with their service. Once again, I was impressed as the rack made it from Columbus to Waterloo, Ontario (and my Front door) in two days.

Part of the reason I went for the R3 is the knowledge that Rogue is always going to be offering accessories, additions, and improvements for the line and the ability to upgrade and add will always be there. This is also part of the reason I went for the BT option as I will be able to add a dedicated weight storage component to it later or easily turn it into the R4 or R6.
    The real reason I opted for the BT is because of the 30” working space. I know what you’re thinking: 24” is more than enough space dude, and if it’s good enough for the Westside boys who do you think you are?

It’s just nice having the extra space, it makes the rack more flexible, and I have the gym space to spare. In fact, for personal home use I’d venture to say that the 3o“ R3BT renders the R4 somewhat redundant as IMO the 30” is a perfect amount of space for any rack-based exercise.

Probably my main concern about the R3 was the fact that it has to be bolted down. Once I convinced myself that it’s not that big on an issue bolting it to my basement floor I pulled the trigger. Indeed, bolting it down is not as big as issue as I had thought. Now, while it’s certainly not as simple as bolting a rack together in 20 minutes, the added stability makes it so worthwhile because it transforms this thing into an absolute tank.

What would I improve? Color options would be nice but is certainly not a necessity. I’d also like to see “beefy spotters” like the ones Legend offer as an option. I’ve been told, however, that these will be offered soon. The pin and pipe safeties are fine, but beefy spotters with the plastic coating would be a nice touch. An option for numbered holes would also be nice (it’s tough with the “Westside” hole spacing), but it’s nothing some stickers can’t take care of….and I find I use stickers to help my memory even with numbered holes.

In conclusion there’s not much I don’t like about this rack. Are there more desirable racks out there? Of course. However, for the home gym enthusiast looking to upgrade to a “big boy rack” the R3 offers one of the best values for a quality rack out there. Plus, there’s almost always something new being created at Rogue to add to their rack series…for Christmas I’m going to add the Matador and Landmine attachments

Any questions or something I missed let me know.

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    5-star view VM. Glad you like the rack. Thanks for the great pics and write-up.

I looked at the Matador too. To get it with the rack or order separately later there is no pretty much no saving in shipping, like $3 or something.

Enjoy the rack, hope it server you well bro!!!! Great looking gym set-up too, lots of space.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Reps on spread for a great review by a fellow Waterloo Regioner.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice review!

Perhaps a naive question but... Why does the R3 need to be bolted to the floor? It looks a lot more sturdy than a lot of other racks that aren't bolted.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, it's 11 and 7 Gauge steel - but because of the sumo and open stance (read: lack of a rear crossmember) I needs to be bolted down. Also, because of the relative small footprint and 90" height, that plays a role with stability as well.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good review

I see you didnt have the monkey pull up bar (wasnt sure if its due to ceiling height). What i would do if i was you is on the back of the rack(where your collars are hanging) make the fat bar only accessible and on the front of the rack (where your chain is hanging) i would put the custom pull up bar from dean at black widow training gear. I believe he made it for some ones R3 rack so it should fit no problem.

Just an idea : http://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_p/access-_-pub.htm
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 817boy View Post
    Good review

I see you didnt have the monkey pull up bar (wasnt sure if its due to ceiling height). What i would do if i was you is on the back of the rack(where your collars are hanging) make the fat bar only accessible and on the front of the rack (where your chain is hanging) i would put the custom pull up bar from dean at black widow training gear. I believe he made it for some ones R3 rack so it should fit no problem.

Yep, this thing is awesome your post is exactly what I would do. Very nice looking piece.

Last edited by Accutron; 11-30-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

Originally Posted by 817boy View Post
    Good review

817. That's literally EXACTLY what I have planned and I talked about it in a another post here. I just need GarageIron to hook me up with his mailbox or I'll buy it from his site. Otherwise, I'll grab it when I'm in Detroit in January.

Also, I didn't go with the money pull up because I was unsure of ceiling height but it might have worked. Either way I think I prefer the setup with the BW pull up.

Originally Posted by Vmango View Post
    817. That's literally EXACTLY what I have planned and I talked about it in a another post here. I just need GarageIron to hook me up with his mailbox or I'll buy it from his site. Otherwise, I'll grab it when I'm in Detroit in January.

Also, I didn't go with the money pull up because I was unsure of ceiling height but it might have worked. Either way I think I prefer the setup with the BW pull up.
    Yeah that monkey bar from Rogue should have staggered spacing for more grip widths, I dont know why they didnt do that?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Good review and photos. Reps on recharge.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome review and awesome rack! Even more awesome that you're in KW, seems like there's a few of us around here.

Unrelated note, but since you live in the area, if you aren't up to much tomorrow you should come check out the CPF Provincial championships at St Davids high school in Waterloo. I'm getting excited to lift and it should be a good time!
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Hey Vmango, is that the "raw" York 32004 from GI, it looks cool ! Nice job on the rack and great review, reps owed but I need to spread first .
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, it's 11 and 7 Gauge steel - but because of the sumo and open stance (read: lack of a rear crossmember) I needs to be bolted down. Also, because of the relative small footprint and 90" height, that plays a role with stability as well.
    Thank you, Vmango. I see it now!!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Forbidden, can you PM me the details please?

Thanks Twodog. No, my two bars are the Rogue Operator Bar and the York 32121 which I use as a "power bar."

I have a fight with myself everyday with calling GI and telling him to put aside one of those bars for me....but if I do that the York 32121 becomes totally obsolete....and I've only had it a few months......I am a barbell whore though and it's tempting. I could move the 32121 to my other rack and get rid of the ****ty bar there. It's tough because I really do like the 32121.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great rack and review. I'm envious of your bars.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great review. That thing looks solid!
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Forbi

I have a fight with myself everyday with calling GI and telling him to put aside one of those bars for me....but if I do that the York 32121 becomes totally obsolete....and I've only had it a few months......I am a barbell whore though and it's tempting. I could move the 32121 to my other rack and get rid of the ****ty bar there. It's tough because I really do like the 32121.
    I understand completely, I'm a barbell whore too . I want one of GI's bars, just don't have the cash at the moment. I don't believe that you can have too many bars, at least not yet
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Forbidden, can you PM me the details please?
    Didn't see this til I got home, sorry man! Was a good time, there's another one in June so if you'd like to come check that one out you're more than welcome, will be good! I ended up totalling 1455 going 523/369/562 and barely missing a 601 deadlift because of my grip.
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by f0rbidden View Post
    Didn't see this til I got home, sorry man! Was a good time, there's another one in June so if you'd like to come check that one out you're more than welcome, will be good! I ended up totalling 1455 going 523/369/562 and barely missing a 601 deadlift because of my grip.
    Who is this guy?

http://startingstrength.com/resource...809#post571809

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Way to go Forbidden bro!!!!!!!!!! Mad respect. Very impressive lifts.

Jesus, I gotta get my **** together before meeting you. I'm a pussy. ;-)

rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great review... reps!

This is one I've been looking at but I'm not in a house at the moment so I wouldn't be able to bolt it down. So it's on my future wish list

ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    As a FYI Vmango. Looks like rogue will be making flip down safeties for the R3 as an option to replace the rod and pin style safeties in about a month.

Yes, I heard. Very exciting. Thanks.

A little update.

So Rogue never got around to doing flip safeties. So, I had Mech6 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=158840393) fab me up a pair and an additional fat chin bar. Very happy with the results, Mech6 (Greg) is a great guy to deal with and very professional.... and his work is top notch. He shipped me his fabrication work in 1 day and the work took only about a week or so.

Last edited by Vmango; 03-28-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Those look quality! Nice work Mech.

Thanks for posting VMango. How's the grip on the fat bar? It looks slippery due to the paint...? If you still are thinking about getting weight storage for it, I'd be getting Mech to make it in the same colour as soon as he has time.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

Lookin' good. That should make the rack 1000% better.

Awesome, noticed the NOV sticker too LOL. Srs, very nice work.

Im still thinking of getting these from M6, but dont know, I equally like my pins.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A little update.

So Rogue never got around to doing flip safeties. So, I had Mech6 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=158840393) fab me up a pair and an additional fat chin bar. Very happy with the results, Mech6 (Greg) is a great guy to deal with and very professional.... and his work is top notch. He shipped me his fabrication work in 1 day and the work took only about a week or so.
    Glad it fits. I think the packing took longer than the fabrication
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by trimble006 View Post
    Those look quality! Nice work Mech.

Thanks for posting VMango. How's the grip on the fat bar? It looks slippery due to the paint...? If you still are thinking about getting weight storage for it, I'd be getting Mech to make it in the same colour as soon as he has time.
    Ya, it will be slippery. For fat bars, I actually prefer it like that. Makes it harder, which is the point of the fat bar pullup. Couldn't really get that colour textured. It would have to be knurled, and that would drive up cost dramatically.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪