LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Unhappy Football guys help :/ im lost....

Been training to try to walk onto a D1 college with little to no experience. try outs arent for another 4 months or so for the University of Hawaii...

I have gotten my speed down to a 4.4-4.5 from a 4.75 in a little over a month. lost 10lbs. power lifts gone up.

MY MAJOR problem is really the EXPERIENCE.....i have pretty much NO ONE to help throw the ball to be to practice catching.

-Need help with technique on route running
    -need help with technique on breaking down
    -need help with overall proper conditioning and skill training as i have little experience.....

Im upset that this is my only problem. if i had MORE TIME or at least KNEW what i should be working it itd make me feel a lot better, because i dont want to go in looking like i don't know anything! (because i can only assume that is an immediate turn off for coaches....) I KNOW that if i have the PROPER training and coaching i can improve SO MUCH and make something of my self on the field.

The other thing. i know there is some sort of "clock"...or something that starts when u become a full time student..and u can play for 5 years...its been 3 years as a full time student after this upcoming spring, so even if i did get on the team id only be playing for 2 years.....only assuming i wouldnt start myfirst year....my second if they let me on the team to shadow and practice to improve myself, would mean i really have 1 year of playing....am i wasting my time? Im getting to the point where i feel...lost

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you walk on your are going to be a practice body that wont suit up for games and wont get to eat at team tables.
    Have you even talked to the coaching staff yet? A random face showing up for tryouts is real easy to cut.
    I would also look at paying some sports and performance place to work with you.

I doubt you have achieved 4.4 speed, which is really pretty elite, in a month. I bet you are the same speed as before and you have some timing error thrown in.

You basically are saying you dont really know how to play, yet you expect a slot on a big league D1 program for 2 years.

Its going to be real tough.

LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiveStrongly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i know the challenge ahead. and i havent talked to them yet because a friend of mine on the team has told me to wait until recently because theyve been busy. but im going to go sometime this week or next week early. Need to get my name in there asap. will get info from friend about who and where exactly etc...

Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Niko49ers is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Will be looking forward to how things turn out for you.

My goal is to walk on to Ohio State. Except I've got 2 years of training in front of me on top of where I currently am now.

My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149922453

Good luck brah!
    ..:: Sports Teams ::..
    -49ers
    -Buckeyes

..:: Gaming Names ::..
    -Runescape: Alex_Osu (banned, RIP) New RS Name: Molinus
    -Xbox Live: Rejecting_You

*KD Crew*

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Make certain you read this article by Jim Wendler on his walkon experience. Good luck.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...he_walk_on&cr=

crunchnflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchnflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DCspartan points out a good article. Definitely worth a read!

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Make certain you read this article by Jim Wendler on his walkon experience. Good luck.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...he_walk_on&cr=
    Great article. Albeit, this is an article about a kid who walked on in the 90's. So, things have changed a lot in terms of the sport, walkons, the whole process and how they are treated. But, this is a very good article and very close to how it is these days for some schools. But you got to understand that every school is different. Every coach handles their walkons and the process of acquiring walkons differently. Some coaches allow open tryouts. Other coaches don't even hold tryouts, and just pick up "preferred" walkons.

Ya at first, if you make the team, you will be treated differently. But if the coaches and players see that you have a good attitude and bust your butt, you will be fine and they will notice that and treat you as one of them. There is no "walk-on" table where you are separated from the team and can't be part of the team. Of course every school is different. Every school has their mean players and coaches, regardless if you are a walkon or scholarship athlete. Every school will also have their nice players and coaches who will treat you with respect. Whatever you position is, you will stick with your positional teammates, and if you are a respectful and hard working person, you will be treated fine and as part of the team.

Also, the part of the article where he said that equipment managers treat them bad and give them ****ty equipment, remember, this article is about a kid who walked on in the 90's. Different game back then, different process of handling things and definitely a different type of financial budget back then. College athletics departments didn't have the budgets back then like they do now. You will get all the stuff the scholarship players do, it's just that you will be last in line. You may get a large shirt instead of a medium if they didn't order enough. You may get a downgrade in cleats compared to the star WR or RB, but the shoes they hand you are still really good...and free. The only difference is that if you don't like them, the equipment managers probably won't give you a different pair. But that happens to scholarship players too. Its mainly just the 1st teamers who can get new cleats even if their old ones are just fine. Equipment managers treat different players differently. But that isn't based on if you are a scholarship player or walkon. It's based on how respectful you are, how high/low maintenance you are, etc. There are kids who ask for new stuff every day. Then there are some who rarely complain and just take what you give them, and will wear their cleats until they fall apart, etc.

But to be honest, this is all looking ahead. You first need to talk to the coaches and get invited to a tryout, if that is even what Hawaii does. Like I said, every school handles their walkon process differently. So just take on step at a time. No need to look ahead. You should be training rigorously every single day, rain or shine, preparing for a tryout.

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just out of curiosity, you shaved .3 seconds off your 40 in a month? How?

Originally Posted by BigStewTheJew View Post
    Just out of curiosity, you shaved .3 seconds off your 40 in a month? How?
    lost a lot of weight and not longago i was a sprinter. muscle memory? idk. but i had NO technique before, learned technique for 40, drills to improve explosive starts, started doing cleans, and i have a big ass stride

Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post

Also, the part of the article where he said that equipment managers treat them bad and give them ****ty equipment, remember, this article is about a kid who walked on in the 90's. Different game back then, different process of handling things and definitely a different type of financial budget back then.
    I dont think things have changed that much. Washington Post ran a story a year ago about walk ons at Virginia Tech and it rang pretty true to what Wendler wrote. Obviously at some of the schools you work with they treat them better, but its not universal.

throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500) throttlebull is not very helpful. (-500)
    If you are fast like you claim to be.And can catch the ball. You will get some looks from the coaching staff. I suggest talking to your friend on the team.to get an idea what tryouts and practice willbe like.Hell look at youtube for drill examples.Practice these
    "over training" fuc2 you. There is no such thing!!!
    there is only "Under Recooperation", and its NOT the same thing"
    Greg valentino

_Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Couple thoughts.

First, running a 4.4 is RARE. Very RARE. Very, very RARE. So, having said that, if you show up and run a 4.4, I don't care what else you do, they'll have you walk on. I've timed 40s for walk-on tryouts for 10 years. In that time, we had one guy run a 4.4. No idea how he didn't get recruited somewhere. He made the team and is currently a starter.

Second, as someone else alluded to, each school/coach treats their walkons differently. Its harder at some schools than others to get a "real look" as opposed to just being a practice player.

Good Luck
    PR Sports Performance
    http://www.prsportsperformance.com

Online Strength Training
    http://www.prsportsperformance.com/online-strength-training

Originally Posted by _Coach_ View Post
    First, running a 4.4 is RARE. Very RARE. Very, very RARE. So, having said that, if you show up and run a 4.4, I don't care what else you do, they'll have you walk on. I've timed 40s for walk-on tryouts for 10 years. In that time, we had one guy run a 4.4. No idea how he didn't get recruited somewhere. He made the team and is currently a starter.
    Its even more rare to go from a 4.75 to a 4.4 in a month, like the OP claims.