Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Military Press form check

Hey guys, could you check my form on military press and tell me if it looks fine? This is 175x5, it was after doing 4 sets of 3 at the same weight

Thanks
    Last edited by Panterabreh; 11-29-2012 at 07:01 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Good effort, but you're leaning back. At the top of the rep, the bar should be over the center of your body.

Entire vid has good info, but the above issue is addresses at about 1:10:

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panterabreh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK thanks, so it's not ok to lean back even a bit?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Panterabreh View Post
    so it's not ok to lean back even a bit?
    You're putting your lower back at increased risk of injury by leaning back, plus the work stays mostly on your front delts rather than get shifted back to where your middle delts can help.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You're putting your lower back at increased risk of injury by leaning back, plus the work stays mostly on your front delts rather than get shifted back to where your middle delts can help.

Alright, thanks i appreciate it

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't lean back but you can tilt your head back a bit as the bar come past it.
    It should just about be brushing your nose.

andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) andrewmc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When you pick the weight up, your back is rounded. Even though it's not much weight, try not to get sloppy.

As far as the lift goes, Try pushing your head forward through your arms as you lift the weight up. This will help your balance and shift the weight off of your front delts and utilize the whole shoulder.

Thanks for your advice guys; so basically, for my next workout, I need to make these adjustments:

-To not lean back
    -and to push my torso forward and head through my arms on the concentric part of the lift so that the bar is over the center of my body at the top

Thanks

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Panterabreh View Post
    Thanks for your advice guys; so basically, for my next workout, I need to make these adjustments:

-To not lean back
    -and to push my torso forward and head through my arms on the concentric part of the lift so that the bar is over the center of my body at the top

Thanks
    A soon as the bar passes my eyebrows I mentally cue myself "get under it, get under it". Works wonders for me.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right but your grip seems pretty wide. It might be worth experimentiong with a narrower grip (more triceps less delts).
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hard to tell with that angle, but it looks as though your heels are not touching.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjc651 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Noob question, I'm just starting out. What is the difference between this and the barbell shoulder press?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, use a close grip for overhead press (in front). Wider for BtN.

As for barbell shoulder press, this is that. But you could also do it seated, which a lot of people do. Or with dumbbells even.

A bit of lean back is natural when pressing heavy (relative your own current strength levels).

Also, feet don't need to be touching, unless you seriously care that it's precisely a military press, rather than "just" a strict press. I find it easier to use (approximately) a squat stance. But I don't squat ultra-wide, for the record.

Also, congrats OP. That's more than most guys can strict press, already.

Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    A soon as the bar passes my eyebrows I mentally cue myself "get under it, get under it". Works wonders for me.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right but your grip seems pretty wide. It might be worth experimentiong with a narrower grip (more triceps less delts).
    Thanks for the tip,
    as for my grip, I feel most comfortable with my pinkies just inside the rings so that if I moved my hand slightly outward my pinkies would be on the rings, is that too wide of a grip?

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Yeah, use a close grip for overhead press (in front). Wider for BtN.

As for barbell shoulder press, this is that. But you could also do it seated, which a lot of people do. Or with dumbbells even.

A bit of lean back is natural when pressing heavy (relative your own current strength levels).

Also, feet don't need to be touching, unless you seriously care that it's precisely a military press, rather than "just" a strict press. I find it easier to use (approximately) a squat stance. But I don't squat ultra-wide, for the record.

Also, congrats OP. That's more than most guys can strict press, already.
    Thanks man So you're saying the lean back in my lift is in the acceptable range, or am I leaning back too much?

As for my grip, it's pinkies just inside the rings

I used to do DB Shoulder Press almost exclusively for months, when my strength gains in that stalled, I switched to a seated BB Shoulder Press, but didn't like how it felt, and for the past 6 weeks I've been doing Military Presses, and I like them the most out of all 3, I started at sets of 5 with 135 on standing military press and have reached sets of 3 with 175 now so I'm pretty happy with my progress

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    If the grip (and the lift in general) feels comfortable to you - as much as hefting stupid amounts over your head can ever feel comfortable, lol - then stick with it, I guess.

The lean back looks fine to me, but do try what's been suggested upthread, is my advice: stick your head forward once the bar's cleared it. If you want to have less of a lean back, maybe work on that. I wouldn't worry about it, personally. Unless you're turning it into a standing incline bench press, that is.

One thing I have found to help is a thumbless grip, but this is a bit of a leap of faith, and I understand some folks are not keen on the idea. Fair enough too. But if you wanted to try it, you *might* also find it easier.

Bump!

Alright, so I made adjustments to my form taking into consideration what you guys said; I made sure to push my torso forward and get Under the bar as soon as it cleared my head, took a closer grip than before, and made sure to keep my elbows up and forearms vertical at the bottom of the lift; also started doing them with a thumbless grip, as it helped me make these adjustments to my form.
    Here's a recent vid, tell me if you guys think it looks ok now:

Last edited by Panterabreh; 12-13-2012 at 04:44 AM.

excuse the sh!tty music

bump