Rock You Like a Hurricane ryuten's Avatar
    ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)

How long can I stay in Ketosis

Hey guys, I've done Keto in the past where I'd refeed on Saturdays, then back to Low Carb on Sundays until Friday, then refeed again Saturday.
    At the time I was doing strongman and I wanted to keep my strength/muscle mass.

Right now I am doing Muay Thai and BJJ. I work out like 2-3 hrs a day. I just want to lose as much weight as possible and as quickly possible. I am not too worried about losing "too much weight" in a week because I know my conditioning will improve as I get skinnier.

So, I am wondering how long can I go before I have to refeed? I know the brain needs glucose to function, so I am worried about going on for too long. So far I've been in Ketosis state since Tuesday morning when I woke up.

Thanks

Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The brain can do just fine on the glucose your body harvests from dietary protein, that's not what carb ups are for. Carbs ups are a reset switch for important metabolic hormones like leptin and T3. Some people do well for weeks on end in ketosis; I'm certainly not one of those people. Plus, the added physiological benefits of a weekly carb up are more than worth it.

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if my understanding is correct, the more bf your carrying the longer you can go before your body starts catabolizing lean mass for carbs. I think some people have done SKD(straight keto diet) for months on end without much lm loss as long as they watch their activity and such.

now you being a combative athlete does change the figure(I do the MT/BJJ route as well). I seem to preserve lm better when taking my BCAA supps, plenty of sleep, and getting about 2 tbs coconut oil a day.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Registered User transformerchad's Avatar
    transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Carus View Post
    The brain can do just fine on the glucose your body harvests from dietary protein, that's not what carb ups are for. Carbs ups are a reset switch for important metabolic hormones like leptin and T3. Some people do well for weeks on end in ketosis; I'm certainly not one of those people. Plus, the added physiological benefits of a weekly carb up are more than worth it.
    both my leptin and t3 levels are low naturally is keto a bad option ? seeing im on it

ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't know what T3 or Leptin is.
    I am pretty fat right now. I'm weighing in 307 lb this morning.
    I am losing weight like crazy right now. In 4 days I've lost like 5 lbs. I know it's not too much water weight because I've been low carb for a month.

If I can do it for 2 weeks at a time then that may be the longest before I refeed. Has anybody gone this long?

Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ryuten View Post
    I don't know what T3 or Leptin is.
    I am pretty fat right now. I'm weighing in 307 lb this morning.
    I am losing weight like crazy right now. In 4 days I've lost like 5 lbs. I know it's not too much water weight because I've been low carb for a month.

If I can do it for 2 weeks at a time then that may be the longest before I refeed. Has anybody gone this long?
    I've gone about 6 weeks. Felt horrible though, lifting 3 times a week. If you aren't exercising, there are people who have done it for years. Some Lupus patients, specifically, IIRC. Then there are the paleo people too.

Inuit (eskimo) used to subsist on almost entirely whale blubber as well.
    www.squidoo.com/keto-diet

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs
    90 day XAT-7 and Cardio Igniter forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146779723
    TEST-PEAK http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149177173
    2013 BB.com challenge log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150876933

Sugar Alcohols...Explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151110953

Metabolic advantage of keto diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153834101

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't sweat the "brain needs glucose" thing. A very small part does, but you get that much from trace carbs and gluconeogenesis. If we had to have many carbs for brain function, the human species would not have made it through millions of years without side dishes.
    I've done keto for several years now with occasional carbups (months at a time without any), and tkd carbs this last year. Kids with epilepsy are sometimes kept in keto for years without any ill effects.

So while you don't "need" to refeed, being in combat sports will likely necessitate the intake of some carbs for optimal performance. Look into TKD.

btw... you absolutely should worry about losing "too much weight quickly". Over a certain amount, and you will be losing muscle mass along with the fat. Obviously, BJJ and MT performance will be hurt by losing muscle. There is no shortcut to doing this right. Slow and steady, and you'll be much better off in the long run.
    Part of my transformation here - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149287533

Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Don't sweat the "brain needs glucose" thing. A very small part does, but you get that much from trace carbs and gluconeogenesis. If we had to have many carbs for brain function, the human species would not have made it through millions of years without side dishes.
    I've done keto for several years now with occasional carbups (months at a time without any), and tkd carbs this last year. Kids with epilepsy are sometimes kept in keto for years without any ill effects.

So while you don't "need" to refeed, being in combat sports will likely necessitate the intake of some carbs for optimal performance. Look into TKD.

btw... you absolutely should worry about losing "too much weight quickly". Over a certain amount, and you will be losing muscle mass along with the fat. Obviously, BJJ and MT performance will be hurt by losing muscle. There is no shortcut to doing this right. Slow and steady, and you'll be much better off in the long run.
    Thanks for the response. Yea I know that if I lose too much weight, I'll lose muscle too. But I am focused so much more on conditioning. I hold onto muscle pretty well even if I don't lift. I didn't workout for a year and I still squatted 365 for a double and 385 for a single without a belt, but I gained a lot of weight from not working out. Maybe that's why. HAHA

I'll eat a bit more in the mean time and maybe double my portion sizes. Or possibly refeed more often. Thanks!

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    t3 and leptin are two hormones largely controlled by carb cunsumption that help with a variety of things including weight loss(any keto-er with better insight can elaborate).

I actually find I spar better once fairly depleted and rolling in the ketones, mind is clearer and I notice all the little tells and weaknesses against my opponents far better. Got a leg kick TKO sparring last night 3rd day into skd.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard