Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)

Cap OB86B Initial Review

Today I picked up my OB86B. I was happy to see the packaging was intact (or so it seemed) after following the bars progress via its tracking number and seeing about 6 different arrival and departure scans (each one meaning the bar had be handled by someone).

The tube was the flimsy cardboard tube that seems to have become the standard way the ship bars. I also picked up some TPB's at the same time, you can see its the same tube.

After peeling the tape off the ends I could see the bar had experienced some violence along the way. The plastic tube cap had the end of the bar protruding through it.

My first impression was of the knurl. It is quite superb. In fact, one of the best I've ever seen or felt. Easily as good as bars I've held at 4x the cost of this bar. I looked up and down the bar several times trying to find a single knurl defect and could not. The start/stops are perfect, no overlaps or depth variation. I really can't find a single diamond on the bar that isn't perfect. Not at all what I would expect of a $100ish bar (or even a $300ish bar).

It's a more aggressive knurl than it appears. Many bars are knurled and then "rolled down" to take the tips off. I doubt that is the case here and if it is, its purely to clean up the very tip of the machining. This is it next to the TPB. As you can see the TPB has a larger deeper knurl. This bar grabs well but differently and there is no doubt a different feel in grip, which is odd considering they are they same diameter. The TPB in the pic below has had it knurl beaten up my me in a test I put it through, so its not apples to apples exactly but you get the idea.

The sleeves are very nice looking and aside from the very wide flange at the end, reminds me very much of the Pendlay Nexgen with very deep machining lines along the sleeve.

The sleeves are snap ring construction. This is where the bar started to represent its price a bit. There is some side to side play in the sleeve (I'd guess 1mm). That wasn't a big deal but I was a bit concerned when I first spun the sleeves by hand. The sleeves spun somewhat free but the bushing was louder than I would have liked. I had to take a step back and remind myself that this wasn't a $300-500 bar. I later loaded the bar with plates and spun them (I did video it but did not include those videos here. If you want to see them, PM me). They spun very well with some load on them.

I tested the bar before I did anything with it for straightness. It was perfect. No up and down deviation in the sleeve's using the test I've used in the past (The how to bend a bar test). I also weighed it. The scale was calibrated with a York bar that I know that exact weight of prior to this test.

Ok down to using the bar...

First it was Deadlifts. I didn't go wild, just followed my program for today. I went to 345lb x5. The bar felt the same in terms of flex at this weight as any of my other bars, which I would expect. I don't usually deadlift without a power bar so there was some difference in the knurl pattern. Bars with a centre (center ) knurl typically have the inside knurl 7.5" and this bar has them at 8". This closed in the area that I could drag up my legs a bit. Probably made no difference at all but I noticed it during my regular rituals.

I front squatted next, 5x10x135lbs. nothing to report other than no centre knurl. Same goes with presses later. Not really much to report on day one of use. I suspect this will be a great oly lift bar. Mainly because of the lack of a centre knurl and its fantastic grip which I find to soft in the higher end oly bars. I'm a crappy oly lifter so I don't know what they are after, I just goof around with it.

I dropped the bar a few times during deadlifts (I was using bumpers) to see how it responded. It was loud and had a metal on metal sound. I've heard this before my Pendlay Nexgen HD. I'm sure its nothing to be concerned about but it isn't a fun sound. I suspect the sleeve construction is a single snap ring and cap, which would be more than enough. I'm going to pull the bar apart in the next few days to see how its made. Many of the newer bars of this construction have dual snap rings to improve the sleeve stability and strength. I don't feel like the bar will fail by any means, I just want to see inside.

This bar is worth far more than it sells for. The knurl and Black oxide coating are some of the best I've seen (There are some weird whitish inconsistencies in the coating. Very minor, I couldn't get them in a photo). The sleeves are well built although I don't understand the need for the super wide flange. I'd venture a guess that the difference between this bar and a bar 2-4 times its price lies in the bushing and single snap ring. Only time will tell but this is the best value in a bar I've seen to date.

I have a pic of the huge flange but had to cut it due to too many images. The site said I could have 8 but cut me off at 7.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 11-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000) ajsat23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great and informative review. Thanks.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome review so far. Mine is supposed to be here on Tuesday, and I can't wait. It'll be my first brand new bar.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, I was going to ask you aboot how wide the unknurled centre was but you already measured it oot for us. How boot that, eh?

Ok, ok, sorry.. I'm done. Seriously nice contribution.. Rep on recharge. Can't wait to hear more.

Btw, how would you compare the knurl pattern to a York Oly bar? It looks like it may be very similar???
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

Registered User mensagitatmolem's Avatar
    mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice review. Thank you for the time and effort.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #40 []---[]

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Well, I was going to ask you aboot how wide the unknurled centre was but you already measured it oot for us. How boot that, eh?

Ok, ok, sorry.. I'm done. Seriously nice contribution.. Rep on recharge. Can't wait to hear more.

Btw, how would you compare the knurl pattern to a York Oly bar? It looks like it may be very similar???
    No problem eh. Yorks are unique. I think its a flat top diamond knurl to start vs. pointed rolled down knurls.

Also, you may have missed my review aboot a local brewery.

Last edited by GarageIron; 11-28-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: removed a bunch of stuff I should shut up about

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice review! I'm considering this bar for a future purchase.... after recovery from holiday spending gone wild.

Is that motivational writing on the wall??
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y389/garageiron/IMG_1301.jpg
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the review. Looks like a good value.

dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great review. I had a feeling based on the specs you put up before you bought it that it would be a fantastic value.
    www.repfitness.com - Gym equipment manufacturer.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great review, thanks. I think this bar is going to be a favorite around here for quite some time. Cgc did a good review on it a year or two ago and loved it, and Christian from Christian's Fitness Factory raves about it as well. I would love to go out to CFF to pick one up while they are still $117 through the end of November, but now is not a good time for me to spend money unnecessarily!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow, bar looks awesome. If that bar can sell for 117$ and everyone still makes money just goes to show you how much other bars are marked-up?

Thanks for the great review and pics. Really liking that bar - if I had to get another bar it would be that one for sure.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    Great review, thanks. I think this bar is going to be a favorite around here for quite some time. Cgc did a good review on it a year or two ago and loved it, and Christian from Christian's Fitness Factory raves about it as well. I would love to go out to CFF to pick one up while they are still $117 through the end of November, but now is not a good time for me to spend money unnecessarily!
    Based on the reviews I've read so far, the main problem with this bar is the brand name. If this same bar was marketed by York or Rogue, it would probably have a huge following, but there are a lot of people who won't give it a second glance simply because it's a CAP.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice looking bar, that knurl looks great! I'd grab one if they offered it with a center knurl.
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

Originally Posted by f0rbidden View Post
    Nice looking bar, that knurl looks great! I'd grab one if they offered it with a center knurl.

They offer a similar 1500lb bar with center knurl for a little more money, the OB-86PBCK.

http://www.capbarbell.com/CAP_Catalog.pdf

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    Based on the reviews I've read so far, the main problem with this bar is the brand name. If this same bar was marketed by York or Rogue, it would probably have a huge following, but there are a lot of people who won't give it a second glance simply because it's a CAP.
    You're absolutely right about that. In fact, cgc stated in his review that he almost didn't buy it because it was CAP, and that it took him a while to get past that.

dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^It's honestly kind of weird that it's such a good bar, because I was looking at their product line and most of it looks rather crappy. They don't even have a bench that can handle over 300 lbs combined weight...a 200lb guy and a couple of 60's in your hands breaks it. Their bumper plates look terrible too...brass inserts break really easily.

I wonder sometimes where these manufacturers source their equipment, because I'll bet a lot of it comes from the same few factories in China that will brand it whatever you want. I wonder if that's the case with this barbell and it would be awesome to track down the source.
    www.repfitness.com - Gym equipment manufacturer.

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dukenukem7777 View Post
    ^

I wonder sometimes where these manufacturers source their equipment, because I'll bet a lot of it comes from the same few factories in China that will brand it whatever you want.
    This is exactly the case.

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice review and a good looking bar. Congrats on nice purchase.

How would you qualify it though, as power or oly bar?
    For power it's missing center knurl, for oly the knurl doesn't go up to sleeves and perhaps to rough for oly movements. Finger marks seems to match TPB so I'd guess it's more power lifting gravitated. Do they have version with center knurl, at that price that would be an ideal starting bar for someone on SS.

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

For power it's missing center knurl, for oly the knurl doesn't go up to sleeves and perhaps to rough for oly movements. Finger marks seems to match TPB so I'd guess it's more power lifting gravitated. Do they have version with center knurl, at that price that would be an ideal starting bar for someone on SS.
    Stasher actually mentioned this a few posts up:

"They offer a similar 1500lb bar with center knurl for a little more money, the OB-86PBCK.

http://www.capbarbell.com/CAP_Catalog.pdf "

"They offer a similar 1500lb bar with center knurl for a little more money, the OB-86PBCK.

The problem with the OB-86PBCK is the price. It's about $50 higher than the OB-86B, and that puts it closer in price to some of the more popular options.

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)

Great, thanks! Looks like a cheaper alternative to Roque Power Bar (not Westside), tensile strength is pretty much the same

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post

My first impression was of the knurl. It is quite superb. In fact, one of the best I've ever seen or felt. Easily as good as bars I've held at 4x the cost of this bar. I looked up and down the bar several times trying to find a single knurl defect and could not. The start/stops are perfect, no overlaps or depth variation. I really can't find a single diamond on the bar that isn't perfect. Not at all what I would expect of a $100ish bar (or even a $300ish bar).

I later loaded the bar with plates and spun them. They spun very well with some load on them.
    I've pointed these facts out in many threads over the last few years. It is by far the best feeling knurl, in my hands, that I've ever used, including a York power bar, TPB, Rogue beater and many others. I keep on getting other bars and liking the feeling of this one more each time. The spin is definitely funny as it's not very good unloaded, but works better withweight on it. I got the bar, muscle clamps and a 260lb Wright bumper set for under $450 at CFF, on sale, last summer. It was one of my best new purchases ever.

Nice write up GI.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I'd have to qualify it as a good option for overhead presses. This seems to be the one movement that neither a typical power bar nor a whippy Oly bar works well for. Cheap enough to justify a bar for just one exercise too. Oh, no...
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

That's a good point. I guess its kind of a hybrid. I typically don't pay attention to the markers and didn't think of that. I noticed the knurl not going all the way to the sleeve which maybe a concern for someone with a wide snatch grip.

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Why must it be classified as either ? Technically it's a power bar due to the knurl marks for benching, center knurls aren't needed to be qualified as a power bar. But as far as SS is concerned, it's a perfect bar for that. Rip recommends an old York bar , which doesn't have a center knurl either. It's just a general use bar, and that's what most of us do anyway, general lifting not competition lifting. I personally like no center knurl since I don't like the feel for squats, so it works well for me.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

Originally Posted by dukenukem7777 View Post
    I wonder sometimes where these manufacturers source their equipment, because I'll bet a lot of it comes from the same few factories in China that will brand it whatever you want. I wonder if that's the case with this barbell and it would be awesome to track down the source.
    I would assume you are exactly correct.

I kicked around the idea myself for awhile but pulled the plug for a few reasons. The best source I could find was Gymway in Taiwan. The have made bars for companies as large as Eleiko, and smaller brands such as Vulcan and Hammerhead (they didn't tell me this but if you search around its pretty clear). They make a fine bar. I don't believe the OB86B is made by them, I still can't find out anything about where that bar is made.

Anyway, here are some Gymway bars being tested and destroyed if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    Why must it be classified as either ? Technically it's a power bar due to the knurl marks for benching, center knurls aren't needed to be qualified as a power bar. But as far as SS is concerned, it's a perfect bar for that. Rip recommends an old York bar , which doesn't have a center knurl either. It's just a general use bar, and that's what most of us do anyway, general lifting not competition lifting. I personally like no center knurl since I don't like the feel for squats, so it works well for me.
    Technically it does, based on IPF spec. But for training purposes it all boils down, as you mentioned, to personal preferences. If bar plating is non slippery squatting should be fine. I was on bar w/o center knurl for like 6 months when just started SS, but as weights went up moved to center knurled, for me it's just feels more secure on the back.

Technically it does, based on IPF spec. But for training purposes it all boils down, as you mentioned, to personal preferences. If bar plating is non slippery squatting should be fine. I was on bar w/o center knurl for like 6 months when just started SS, but as weights went up moved to center knurled, for me it's just feels more secure on the back.
    Center knurls are only needed to be qualified as an IPF COMPETITION proved bar, not to be a power bar for general users looking for the marks. Once again, as mentioned, most of us aren't competition powerlifters.

I understand the feeling about non knurling, but I also grew up without a center knurl ( as they weren't very common in the 1970's and people squatted heavy even before that) and with a chrome bar. Chalk keeps bars from sliding, I sweat heavily when lifting and always have and it's worked for me.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would actually like to find a non-knurled bar at some point.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    I would actually like to find a non-knurled bar at some point.

I prefer bars without a center knurl. I have shoulder issues that keep me from "properly" gripping a bar during squats, so I welded up a pair of bolt-on handles that I can grip like the handles on a safety squat bar. Once I have a grip on the handles, the bar can't slide down my back, so the knurling isn't an issue at all.