Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everything starts with COMMITMENT!

In order to be 100 percent committed, you’ll need to 1 Million WAYS to win, 1 Million REASONS for following through, and 1 Million REMINDERS of WHY you want to win and HOW you can make that happen whatever your goal may be!

Build your dreams and build them BIG and build your life “LIFE Dreams & Goals Board” big too! Purchase a giant size cork board, cover it with powerful images and phrases of EVERYTHING you want in life, and don’t limit it to just ONE area of your life.

Go for ALL the juice and EVERYTHING you want in life!

Hang your board in a HIGHLY VISIBLE place that you see EVERY MORNING when you awake. You are GUARANTEED to run into challenges along the path to your goals and if you don’t, your goal is NOT big enough!

You will need EVERY ONE THE reminders on your “board” to keep you FOCUSED, INVIGORATED, with a POSITIVE, CAN-DO attitude, and a LOVE FOR LIFE that keeps you READY, WAITING, and ASKING for more EVERY day!

Building your “LIFE Dreams & Goals Board” is MORE CHALLENGING AND MORE FUN than it may originally seem. It will make you think about what YOU really want out of life and IF you REALLY know!

How will you arrange your life goals & dreams ON your board? Which ones will be at the TOP of your list? You may want SO MUCH and ALL of it AT THE SAME TIME that it is hard to decide. Assembling your “Life Dreams & Goals Board” will also help you assemble and align your LIFE!

If you don’t really have anything to put on your board, MAYBE IT’S TIME YOU ASK FOR MORE?!?

Once you assemble your “Life Dreams and Goals Board”, you see YOUR direction, and now COMMIT TO IT, GET AT IT and GO!

For your complimentary copy of my e-book “10 STEPS to Take YOU in a POSITIVE Direction”,
    click here: http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today

An Incredible Visualization:
    1 Thessalonians 4:16-18
    The Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ will rise first: Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
    Last edited by henderjb; 04-09-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Visit:
    http://www.********.com/PositiveEnergy247Fitness
    http://joyhenderson.blogspot.com/
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/HenderJBvisuallinkcom
    http://www.youtube.com/user/positiveenergy247

Ecc 9:10 “Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might..”

henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    WINNING is more than just a trophy, and there is more than just ONE way to win! Create YOUR list of “One Millions Ways to Win”!

No matter what your goals are, there is ALWAYS more than just one way to win, but do you know what winning REALLY is and how many ways there are for you to win?

Here’s an example:
    If your goal is to lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks, and after 5 weeks the scale says you met that goal, but you lost all your muscle in the process, DID YOU REALLY WIN? If you gain all your body fat back a month later, did you really win? If you lose the body fat, but you were so irritable on your weight-loss program that you lost all your friends, did you really win? If you didn’t meet your fat loss goal, but you did learn a LOT about your body and your INNER STREGNTH in your quest, did you really LOSE?

Do you see how important it is to define what winning really is to you? Create a list of what has to happen in order for you to WIN on EVERY level and don’t forget to post it on your “Life Dreams and Goals Board.”

Here’s my list of ways to win and make my contest preparation journey a 10+ experience as I prepare and compete at this year’s NPC Team Universe and Masters Nationals:

• I have to present a better package on-stage at both shows than last year or ever before. This means:
    o More overall muscles size with equal conditioning or better
    o Fuller, rounder shoulders
    o More quad sweep & more cuts in quads
    o Larger biceps with better peaks so my biceps look better proportioned with the rest of my body
    o Improved posing
    o Perfect fitting suit
    • I have to earn my IFBB pro card at either the Team Universe or Master’s Nationals
    • I have to document my journey, take photos and videos along EVERY STEP of my journey to be proud of, use as memorabilia, and to create future products with
    • I need to make a difference in the lives of others by sharing God with them and serving Him through my competition efforts
    • I have to maintain family relationships and not lose sight of my long-term goals
    • I need to be excited and motivated to a level HIGHER THAN EVER BEFORE throughout my ENTIRE contest preparation journey
    • I have to have friends to support, motivate, and share the journey with me
    • I have to work closely with my coach to help me create my best package, make things enjoyable, motivate & support me, and to learn more about and from her
    • I have to have friends to celebrate with and enjoy my success with post-contest
    • I have to be happy with my competitive efforts, feel proud of myself, and feel a sense of accomplishment following both shows regardless of the outcome (beginning the minute placements announced)
    • I need to maintain these “feel-good/worth it” feelings the evening after both shows, the next day, the day I return home, the weeks, months, and years beyond. No “let-downs” or damage to long-term goals.
    • I need to schedule a celebration trip with my family after the last competition
    • I need to focus on long-term goals and other short-term goals outside of competition and enjoy other aspects of life in the months immediately after my competitions are finished. Keep promises.

Galatians 6:9 Let us now grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
    Visit:

Are YOU ready to transform with me??

Tomorrow is exactly 12 weeks to the day that I step on stage as a Physique competitor at the 2013 NPC Team Universe, and tomorrow will be THE FIRST DAY of my contest preparation as I transformation my body into its ultimate package.

If YOUR goal is to lose body fat and/or gain lean muscle gain then YOUR goal is the same as mine, and I ENCOURAGE YOU to transform along with me as I outline the steps to get YOU there!

What changes the first day of my contest preparation and what should change with YOUR transformation? It’s True! Nutrition is more than 75 percent of the way you look and it is the FIRST thing to adjust as you begin your quest to lose body fat while gaining, or at least maintaining, all of your hard-earned muscle mass.

How do YOU know what nutritional adjustments to make?In order to establish how many calories your body needs to lose body fat without sacrificing muscle and to build even more, it is necessary to establish your caloric need in order to MAINTAIN your CURRENT body weight.

This amount of calories is YOUR metabolic Baseline Line. Every BODY is different and EVERYBODY has a different caloric need based on a wide variety of factors. YOUR specific metabolic need CANNOT be pulled from an internet chart.

Take me for example, in order to maintain MY current body weight; I consume 3,000 calories consistently EVERY day without gaining a pound! For a female, with a body weight of 135#, an internet search would likely recommend around 2,300 calories a day for maintenance, but that is NOT ACCUARATE for MY SPECIFIC body and MY SPECIFIC METABOLIC rate!

The only way to determine what YOUR specific metabolic needs are is to maintain a specific caloric intake for a period of time, see how your body reacts (weight loss, maintenance, or weight gain), and make adjustments to your plan until you find the exact calorie balance that is right for YOU! This is YOUR specific metabolic BASELINE.

Once you establish your Baseline for maintenance of your current body weight, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MEET ANY WEIGHT LOSS OR MASS GAIN GOALS! Simply adjust your baseline caloric intake by reducing calories to lose body fat or add calories to gain lean muscle mass, but REMEMBER IT IS NOT JUST THE QUANTITY OF FOOD (CALORIES) BUT THE QUALITY that counts!

You’ll need the appropriate macronutrient ratios (protein, carbohydrates, and fats) to reach your goals and look your best! You will also need to eat regularly scheduled small meals or meal replacement powders when time is tight. This is the philosophy of the Baseline Meal Plan and the philosophy that I will be following to transform into my ultimate physique.

I encourage YOU to do the same!
    Visit: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com to learn more about the Baseline Meal Plan, invest in the plan, and establish YOUR Baseline nutritional need. Once you’ve established your Baseline, YOU can get started on YOUR transformation along with me!

I understand that YOU might not be female, and probably aren’t getting ready for a competition, but the Baseline Meal plan isn’t just a competition plan and it isn’t just for women. It is a plan for EVERYONE, ALL-YEAR long, a nutritional LIFESTYLE, not a “diet” whether your goal is to gain lean muscle mass or to cut body fat.

Don’t worry! The Baseline Meal Plan was designed with “cheat meals” built in which can be regulated based on YOUR level of commitment and YOUR goals. In the “off-season”, I have scheduled cheat meals once a week, generally Saturday night. With my competition nutrition program starting tomorrow, my last “cheat meal” was last Saturday, and it will have to last for the next 12 weeks!

During competition preparation, I CRAVE PIZZA, and it is almost always my post-contest reward! Knowing how much hard work lies ahead, I had my favorite pizza last Saturday, and I enjoyed every bite!

On my weekly cheat meal, I have had more pizza this year than ever before thanks to the opening of a new local restaurant with a pizza that CAN’T be beat! Visit Villa Donato, Winchester, VA and be prepared to EAT!

https://www.********.com/media/set/?...9168656&type=3

Without my weekly pizza, it’s tough to be civil sometimes, but just like the contest dieting, they’ll be a reward for it in time!
    Proverbs 16:32 He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
    Last edited by henderjb; 04-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Visit:

You can’t start a journey without a STARTING POINT! Before beginning YOUR transformation, make sure to document where you are starting from so you can EFFECTIVELY monitor your progress!

There are many different ways to monitor progress in your physique, but some are more EFFECTIVE than others. Three EFFECTIVE methods of progress monitoring are weekly weight checks on the scale, monthly measurements with a tape measure, and monthly progress photos.

Today begins the first day of my contest preparation for the NPC Team Universe held on July 5th. My day and my contest prep kicked off this morning with my weekly weight check.

My Weight, April 12, 2013: 134.8

The scale, it can be a useful tool or your WORST ENEMY depending on how you use it. Don’t let it be your worst enemy! YOU control the scale; it DOESN’T’ control you!

AVOID the temptation to weigh yourself multiple times a week as this can DERAIL your progress and make you doubt your path. If you weigh every day, you’ll likely see your weight fluctuate up and down on a daily basis making you feel HAPPY one day and SAD the next depending on the number you see. When this happens, you might become derailed from your nutrition or training plan and be tempted to change it based on TODAY’S weight and TODAY’S FEELINGS!

Your bodyweight can vary several pounds from day to day and even morning to night depending on how much fluid is in your system, how much food you have recently eaten, how much you have sweat, and many other biological factors.

The KEY is to WEIGH ONLY ONCE a week and make this a SCHEDULED weight day. You will also want to weigh first thing in the morning, BEFORE eating or drinking anything, and in the SAME CLOTHES (or without any clothes) to establish the same conditions each time you weigh. This allows you to ACCURATELY monitor your PROGRESS.

DON’T get caught up in the WEIGHT GAME and let daily fluctuations in the scale guide your NUTRTION PLAN. Weight loss and weight gain are a marathon and NOT a sprint and you are in it for the long run!

Another effective method of progress monitoring is by taking scheduled progress photos. It’s true, photographs don’t lie and sometimes, WE HAVE TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT!

DISCIPLINE yourself. EMPOWER yourself. Take RESPONSIBILITY and be ACCOUNTABLE for your progress. Follows these simple steps to monitoring your progress through SCHEDULED progress photos:
    Purchase a TRIPOD and learn to use the SELF-TIMER on your camera. TAKE THE POWER into your own hands & don’t rely on someone else to take YOUR progress photos! This makes progress photos simpler by eliminating schedule conflicts and EXCUSES for NOT following through.

Take your photos at the SAME PLACE, from the SAME ANGLE, with the SAME LIGHTING, and at the approximate same time of day so you can accurately monitor your progress.

Progress Photos, April 1, 2013:

Finally, don’t forget to take measurements with a TAPE MEASURE. When it comes to body fat monitoring, it only takes a few critical measurements to determine if your body fat is up or down.

A measurement at the waistline is a key indicator for both men and women since body fat is often stored around the waist regardless of gender. Women often put on weight in their hips and thighs and should consider additional measurements at the hips and upper thigh (just below the glute). This will allow a better assessment of body fat changes.

Tape measurements in these areas don’t require the assistance of anyone else. The simplicity of these measurements makes you more likely to follow through and FOLLOW-THROUGH AND CONSISTENCY ARE THE KEYS!
    The waist and hips also are not subject to significant changes in muscle mass; therefore, they do not allow you to inaccurately justify increases as lean muscle mass.

Measureable changes in body fat don’t happen overnight. Consider recording tape measurements on a monthly basis as another EFFECTIVE progress monitoring tool.

My Measurements, April 1, 2013:
    Hips: 34 9/16”
    Waist: 28 1/2”
    Upper Thigh (just below glute): 19 9/16”

To begin making progress toward your ultimate physique, invest in the Baseline Meal plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

2 Corinthians 3:18 We all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
    Visit:

Creating YOUR weekend schedule

Many people find it easy to keep their workout and eating schedule during the work week, but once the weekend comes they fall off track. Since you don’t have a schedule created FOR YOU on weekends, you have to CREATE YOUR OWN!

Keeping your schedule on weekends becomes EVEN MORE important when you are training for competition, trying to reach ANY physique transformation goal, or ANY goal in life!

So get on it! What is your weekend schedule going to be? Write it down. You have to have a plan to be on the right path.

My Saturday schedule for Phase I of contest prep:

• Set alarm for 4:45 to get started with my day
    • 5:30 Meal 1 & review workout ahead
    • 6:30 Begin Weight Training
    • 8:00 Start Cardiovascular Training
    • 8:30 Shower/drink post-workout shake
    • 9:30 Meal 2
    • Grocery Shop
    • Begin Meal Prep for the week – Cook meals 2,3, 5 & 6
    • 7:30 Relax With Family

Saturday Meal Schedule:
    5:30 Meal 1
    8:30 Post Workout Shake
    9:30 Meal 2
    12:00 Meal 3
    2:30 Meal 4
    5:00 Meal 5
    7:30 Meal 6

Join my mailing list, to receive a copy of my complimentary e-book, “10 STEPS to Take YOU in a POSITIVE Direction”.
    Join here: http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today

Find your path and stay on it!
    Proverbs 4:18 The path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.
    Visit:

Sunday Daily Disciplines – Refreshing your Spirit, Mind, Body & Soul

You have your disciplines for Saturday set, but what about Sunday? Everybody needs a break from the daily grind, a chance to revitalize your SPIRIT, MIND, BODY and SOUL but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have daily disciplines for Sunday just like every other day of the week.

Every other day of the week except for Sunday, my workout takes priority as the first discipline of the day. It also sets the stage for each day. A great workout gets my blood flowing and my body working at full speed, but it also gets my mind in gear as well.

A great workout energizes me, fills my body with feel-good endorphins, and sets my mind and spirit in a positive state. It gives me a sense of pride & self-confidence knowing that if I can handle the intensity of my workouts, I can handle ANYTHING ELSE in my day!

On Sunday, an early morning CHURCH SERVICE TAKES PRIORITY over EVERYTHING and it sets the stage for an AWESOME Sunday! I am fortunate enough to attend a church offering an early morning service. Not only do I love the friendly atmosphere of my church and the uplifting people there, but the early morning service is another OPPORTUNITY to appreciate life, be in awe of God’s creation, and thank Him for everything in life.

There is nothing like the drive into church on a beautiful Spring morning. The sun rises on the hillsides, the roads are quiet, the birds sing and there is a feeling of freshness in the air.

Just like finding the nutrition plan or workout that is right for you, you should also find the church and the type of worship service that is right FOR YOU!
    Churches offer a variety of services these days ranging from traditional services with old fashioned hymns to more modern varieties with more casual attire and abbreviated services focused primarily on the sermon, where you get what I refer to as just “the meat”. If you have a short attention span, are short on time, or have trouble sitting still, this might be the service for YOU!

Either way I recommend starting YOUR Sunday morning with church which sets the stage for not only your DAY, but your week. Just like progress photos or a weekly weight check, attending a weekly church service helps to keep YOUR LIFE on track with a reminder of how you should act, how you should live, and how you should love on a DAILY basis and gives you comfort and refreshment for your soul. With God in at the forefront of your life, you can’t go wrong!

After church, I often enjoy a cup of coffee and good conversation with a friend at a local coffee shop, but soon after that the WORKOUT and other daily disciplines begin. While the caffeine from the coffee is still rolling in my blood, it’s the PERFECT time for my cardio session!

Caffeine is not only a great energy boost which increases endurance, but it also has a host of other benefits
    including increasing dopamine in the brain which stimulates feelings of overall well-being, and when you are HAPPY, you work HARDER! Caffeine also contains healthy anti-oxidants combatting free-radicals and it increases your metabolic rate.

The only CAUTION is, watch what you put into it! A cup of coffee can quickly turn to a calorie laden drink. During competition season, creamer and artificial sweetener are still allowed. However, I limit them to two teaspoons (not heaping!) of powdered creamer and two packs of Splenda® per 16 oz. (my cup).

With the combination of a powerful church service to stimulate my SPIRIT, and friend to share dreams, and CAFFEINE to stimulate my body, I am now ready for another blessed day with a cardio session to boot!

My Sunday Daily Disciplines

6:00 MEAL 1

Church Service/Coffee with Family and/or Friends (setting the stage for my LIFE, my day, and my cardio session!)

8:30 MEAL 2

10:00 Cardio Session at Home where laundry can be spinning in the dryer while I am spinning on the treadmill, and where I can be more “present” for my family.

11:00 Post-Workout Shake

1:00 MEAL 3 (Pack Vitamins, BCAA’s, and Post-Workout Protein Powders for the Week)

3:30 MEAL 4

6:00 MEAL 5

8:30 MEAL 6

2 Corinthians 4:16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

Refresh you mind, body, & soul, join my mailing list: http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today
    Visit:

Where do YOU want to go this week?

Establishing your direction and the path you will take to get there can’t be overstressed no matter what your destination. How can you get where you are going if you don’t know where you want to go?

Every Monday during my journey to the NPC Team Universe, I will review the week ahead and set goals for the week. I encourage YOU to establish where YOU want to go at the beginning of each week and outline the path to your destination.

My Goals For This Week
    • Set alarm form 3:50AM. Start workout by 5:40AM. Complete workout by 7:30AM.
    • Adjust to competition meal plan; become more efficient with meal preparation and keep all meals on track.
    • Start new competition training program. Establish high standards for repeat workouts in the following weeks.
    • Review next day’s workout the night before and make sure I fully understand the workout and am mentally prepped 100 percent.
    • Shoot weekly video, access my form, execution, and intensity and how I can improve. Send video to my coach for review – this is a great opportunity to improve.
    • Become more efficient with Phase I Competition Daily Disciplines, continue to refine them and follow through.
    • Every evening, pre-frame the next day & what I will accomplish.
    • Train and live with the attitude of gratitude. .

To get your meal plan on track, invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Philippians 4:11 – I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.

Visit:

...Keeping strong! HumblyMuscles's Avatar
    HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by henderjb View Post

Establishing your direction and the path you will take to get there can’t be overstressed no matter what your destination. How can you get where you are going if you don’t know where you want to go?

Every Monday during my journey to the NPC Team Universe, I will review the week ahead and set goals for the week. I encourage YOU to establish where YOU want to go at the beginning of each week and outline the path to your destination.

My Goals For This Week
    • Set alarm form 3:50AM. Start workout by 5:40AM. Complete workout by 7:30AM.
    • Adjust to competition meal plan; become more efficient with meal preparation and keep all meals on track.
    • Start new competition training program. Establish high standards for repeat workouts in the following weeks.
    • Review next day’s workout the night before and make sure I fully understand the workout and am mentally prepped 100 percent.
    • Shoot weekly video, access my form, execution, and intensity and how I can improve. Send video to my coach for review – this is a great opportunity to improve.
    • Become more efficient with Phase I Competition Daily Disciplines, continue to refine them and follow through.
    • Every evening, pre-frame the next day & what I will accomplish.
    • Train and live with the attitude of gratitude. .

To get your meal plan on track, invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Philippians 4:11 – I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.

Wow getting up at 3-50am- that's dedication! Respect....
    People asking questions lost in confusion, Well I tell them there's no problem,
    Only solutions... John Lennon

If the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.

My best genetic bodypart is my Mind...

++Positive Crew++

4th Dan Black Belt Taekwondo ( W.T.F. ) Former Instructor

What workout program is right for YOU?

When you aren’t seeing the results you want, the easiest thing to blame is your workout plan, but the problem might not be with the workout plan.

Sure some workout routines are better than others, but it isn’t so much WHAT you do but HOW you do it and how consistently you FOLLOW IT THROUGH.

For example, you could give the same workout program, the “perfect workout program” to two different people. One person may go through the motions of the workout and be content with just getting the workout done. Another person may have higher standards for that same workout and execute it with maximum intensity, optimal mind-muscle connection, and with 100 percent focus on the task at hand. Although they are both following the same workout plan, their results will be MUCH different.

Stop searching for the perfect workout and start looking inside of YOU! It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself! Create a set of WORKOUT STANDARDS to get the most out of YOURSELF and your workout plan. No matter what your workout program may be, you MUST set high standards for EVERY workout and consistently follow them through.

My weight training program for both off-season and competition training consists of training one major body part a day (Legs, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms) on a five day weight training schedule (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat). My target reps range from 8-12, and I perform an average of 6 exercises per major body part. Minor body parts (abs & calves) are typically trained every other day with average rep ranges from 10-12 for abs and 10-15 for calves.

The workout program I described above probably seems pretty typical, but what ISN’T typical are the standards I set for myself, which I refer to as my WORKOUT DAILY DISCPLINES.

These standards are in my head EVERY day BEFORE I step foot in the gym, and they run through my mind the ENTIRE workout. Post-workout, I evaluate my workout against these standards, rate my performance, and how I can improve.

MY EARLY MORNING/WORKOUT DAILY DISCIPLINES – It all starts the moment I get up!
    1. Set alarm for 3:50. Start workout by 5:40.
    2. Wake up every morning with a positive thought in my head/positive self-image.
    • What is going to be GREAT about my day? How can I MAKE my day GREAT?
    3. Thank God every day for my life, health, strength, give glory to God. Read morning devotional.
    4. Keep focused on my goals by writing it in my workout book every morning before going into the gym. “I WILL earn my pro card at the 2013 Team Universe by being motivated, dedicated, determined, maintaining a POSITIVE, CAN-DO attitude, staying FOCUSED on my goals, constantly pushing my limits. I am a champion!”
    5. Read my “Physique Vision” before going to the gym.
    6. Train EVERY bodypart with the mindset & intensity of a legs workout.
    7. Get myself physically, emotionally, & psychologically ready for EVERY set I perform in the gym.
    8. Use mental prep sets as needed then begin straight working sets with max weight AND get reps according plan.
    9. Focus on proper form/execution & get the negative portion of the rep.
    10. Constantly CHALLENGE MYSELF to do more.
    11. My mind will ALWAYS lead my body, I will BUCK UP, and act as if those body parts I don't like to train are the ones I love to train more than any other
    12. Ask myself before every set, “What do I want out of this set?”
    13. Ask myself after every set, “Did I get what I wanted out of that set?” If not, make adjustments.
    14. Physically “Approach” each bench, machine, or weight with intent, determination, & confidence.
    15. Cardio: Have a positive mindset, challenge myself to work harder. Log & review my cardio session.
    16. Assess today’s workout & give overall evaluation.

As you can see, my mental and physical preparation begins the moment I get up, and it includes a POWER packed breakfast. Pre-workout fuel is a MUST! For optimal pre and post-workout nutrition, invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Its not WHAT you do but HOW you do it that counts!
    Visit:

Its true - where there is a will, there is a way. First, find what you want, then find the path to get you there!
    Originally Posted by HumblyMuscles View Post
    Wow getting up at 3-50am- that's dedication! Respect....
    Visit:

Wide Stance Leg Press

This exercise has been a particular challenge for me as I had never incorporated a wide stance movement into my routine until a few years ago. I have found them very effective in targeting my inner thighs, hams strings, and glutes.

This was my first exercise of the day in this week’s leg routine, so I began with a 45# plate on each side and performed a mental preparation set consisting of six reps to adapt to the movement and get my mind, body, and muscles connected and in “the zone.”

I added another 45# plate to each side and performed a second six rep mental preparation set.

I added 40 more pounds to each side and performed four working sets with this weight. My target rep range was 10-12.

My number of reps I was able to complete each set are as follows:

• Set 1: I completed 12 reps
    • Set 2: (video) 9 reps plus 2 with hands on knees yielding a very slight self-spot. (This is really more of a mental spot than a physical one, although I try not to use it most of the time.)
    • Set 3: 8 reps plus 2 with hands on knees
    • Set 4: (video) 7 reps plus 2 with hands on knees (to failure)

I try to maintain constant tension and control of the weight on the way down (negative), feel the muscles I am working, get good depth, and drive the weight out of the bottom.

For future training routines, performance enhancements and training tips, join my mailing list: http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today

1 Corinthians 6:20 For you are bought with a price, therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s
    Visit:

Adjusting your meal plan for fat loss and maximum muscle maintenance...

This week my competition nutrition plan began, and you may be envisioning some type of drastic change to my meal plan, a state of deprivation, and severe calorie reduction but rest assured that isn’t my plan and it shouldn’t be YOURS!

The goal is to maximize fat loss while maximizing muscle maintenance, and this requires a GRADUAL process of both fat loss AND changes in your nutrition plan.

The key is establishing your baseline metabolic rate, which is the amount of calories your body needs on a daily basis to maintain your current body weight. Everybody has a different baseline metabolic rate requiring a different baseline caloric intake. Once you have established YOUR baseline caloric intake, you have defined YOUR starting point from which YOU can begin reducing calories GRADUALLY to meet your fat loss goals.

My typical off-season meal plan consists of approximately 3,000 calories to maintain my current body weight. This is the specific amount of calories that is right for ME. Only YOU can determine the calorie balance that is right for YOU.

It is not ONLY the quantity of calories that you ingest that is important but also the quality of these calories and their macronutrient content (protein, fats, and carbohydrates). My off-season nutrition program this year consisted of approximately 40% protein, 40% carbohydrates, and 20% fat. The first phase of my contest diet maintains these macronutrient ratios; however, calories are reduced slightly (300 calories a day) in order to reduce bodyfat.

I received this question recently which sums up my approach to off-season and competition season nutrition and how to adjust YOUR plan.

Charmelle Daniels asks: What do your meals consist of a month out from a show?

Response: Hi Charmelle. I am glad you asked this question to help clear up some misconceptions about “off-season” verses “pre-contest” nutrition. It is a common misconception that the TYPES of foods you eat during contest preparation should be different than the foods you eat all year long.

Your goal ALL YEAR LONG should be to consume high quality sources of protein, carbohydrates, and fats to fuel your body. Your sources of foods should NOT change dramatically during a “leaning-out” (competition phase) verses a “bulking” or mass building phase.

With that said, I DO recommend switching out SOME of your “off-season” carbohydrate SOURCES such as rice, oatmeal, potatoes, etc. with lower carbohydrate (lower calorie) green vegetables when in a leaning-out (contest) phase. Green vegetables (green beans, broccoli, and lettuce to name a few) are low in calories (carbohydrates) allowing you to eat large quantities of them which keeps you full due to their high fiber content.

You should ALWAYS strive for lean sources of protein such as chicken, fish, and lean cuts of red meat in conjunction with protein powders to supplement your protein needs and suit your schedule. Healthy sources of fats such as walnuts, salmon, and flax seed oil should also be consumed in MODERATE amounts to sustain your testosterone and energy levels.

One factor that DOES change from “off-season” to “competition season” is CHEAT MEALS! During the off-season, I allow myself one SCHEDULED “cheat meal” a week. During this “cheat meal” I REWARD myself for all my hard work the rest of the week, and I eat whatever I want without weighing it or measuring it in any fashion. During contest preparation, there are NO cheat meals, and EVERYTHING is weighed or measured so I know EXACTLY what I am taking in.

The KEY is determining EXACTLY how many calories your body needs to MAINTAIN or GROW during the off-season and how many calories your body needs to LOSE FAT during your leaning-out phase. That is why I created the BASELINE MEAL PLAN to help YOU determine what their BASE LINE calorie consumption is for maintenance and what YOUR calorie needs are for FAT LOSS. Every BODY is different, so EVERY body has different needs that only YOU can determine!

Check out the Baseline Meal Plan here for more information & to get started in determining YOUR caloric needs to meet YOUR goals: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Never give up hope!
    Psalms 27:13 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
    Last edited by henderjb; 04-19-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Visit:

Should YOUR weight training routine change for a fat-loss or competition program?

This week began the first week of my competition season weight training routines, but was there really a need to change my weight training routine and should YOU change yours for a fat-loss program?

Weight training is a lot like your nutrition program in that the goal of each should ALWAYS be to maintain the maximum amount of muscle and even build muscle mass ALL-YEAR long including in a fat-loss program.

You should ALWAYS weight train with the goal of building muscle mass. The weight training routine that overloads your muscles and builds muscle all year long is THE SAME PROGRAM that works when you are trying to shed excess body fat.

Your nutrition and cardiovascular program and NOT your weight training program are the tools you should be using to effectively shed body fat. Meanwhile, your weight training program remains consistent allowing you to maintain the maximum amount of muscle for maximum calorie burn!

So why did I change my weight training routine when I started competition preparation and what was the change? I change up my weight training program approximately every 12 weeks to keep my mind and body fresh, stimulated, and wanting more!

What changed in my weight training program was the order of exercises, the exercise included in my routine (alternate exercises were included for variety), and the order that I train my body parts. I am ALWAYS striving for gains in strength, execution, and focus all year long, and I am always pushing myself to lift the maximum amount of weight that is heavy FOR ME while allowing me to execute my target rep range.

My current weight training and cardiovascular routines are as follows:
    • Monday – Legs & Calves
    • Tuesday – Abs, Chest, & 30 minutes of cardio
    • Wednesday - 30 minutes of cardio & stretching
    • Thursday – Abs & Back
    • Friday – Shoulders & 30 minutes of cardio
    • Saturday – Abs & Arms
    • Sunday - 40 minutes of cardio & stretching

My cardiovascular program remains unchanged from my off-season program during this first phase of competition preparation. Fat loss is accomplished through my nutrition program alone.

Proper nutrition is your NUMBER ONE ASSAULT WEAPON in the war on fat loss! To start and win your battle, invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Mark 5:19 ….. Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how he had mercy on you.
    Visit:

Evaluating your week….

On Monday, I encouraged you to set goals for every week. The purpose of setting goals is NOT just to go through the motions of goal setting, but to set goals to get RESULTS!

Every weekend I encourage you to take a step back and review your week, how you followed through with the daily disciplines you set to get you to your goals, and what kind of RESULTS you are getting.

Re-evaluate your goals and the steps you set out to take you there. Make changes as needed or give yourself a swift kick in the ass if you aren’t following through!

Each week I will review my week and evaluate my performance in these categories, and I encourage YOU to perform your own personal weekly review:
    • Physique Assessment
    • Training Performance
    • Nutritional Habits
    • Cardiovascular Performance
    • Motivational/Mental State/Mental Focus
    • Other Important Contributing Factors

What will YOUR weekly review categories be?
    I will also review of the major topics covered this week in the travels with along my POSITIVE progression (the road) to the Team Universe on July 5th. My “road” included these topics this week:
    • Monday – Setting Weekly Goals
    • Tuesday – Establishing “Workout Daily Disciplines”
    • Wednesday – Legs Training Video (Wide Stance Leg Press)
    • Thursday – Adjusting Your Meal Plan for Maximum Fat Loss and Muscle Maintenance
    • Friday –Weight Training for Maximum Fat loss & Muscle Maintenance

PHYSIQUE ASSESSMENT
    The changes I see in my physique at this time are minimal, although I do feel I have shed a bit of water weight allowing my abdominals to look a bit sharper. This is a result of the “cleaner” meal plan and the slight reduction in calories.

I weigh on the scale every Friday, first thing in the morning, before I eat or drink anything. I always weigh at the same time, wearing the same thing (nothing), and before eating or drinking anything to maintain the same parameters. This allows me to make an accurate comparison of the weight changes from week to week. Last week my weight was 134.8 pounds. This week my weight was 133.6, resulting in a net loss of 1 pound.

I also use an Omron® Fat Loss Monitor to track my body fat. The Omron uses bioelectric impedance to measure body fat verses lean body weight. I am not so much concerned with the actual body fat percentage shown, but if the numbers are up or down. Last week, the Omron® measurement read 15.1% body fat, 22.1 Body Mass Index (BMI). The readings did not change this week.

My goal in the next few weeks is to let my body adapt to the competition meal plan and continue to eat quality nutrients according to my plan with NO deviations and NO cheat meals. The slight reduction in calories associated with the first phase of my competition meal plan (300 calorie reduction) will allow me to maintain the maximum amount of muscle and keep my muscles full while I slowly losing body fat and “harden” up.

I am on target with my Physique goals.

TRAINING PERFORMANCE
    This week I began a new series of workouts. As discussed yesterday, I change up my weight training program approximately every 12 weeks to keep my mind and body fresh, stimulated, and wanting more!

What changed in my weight training program was the order of exercises, the exercise included in my routine (alternate exercises were included for variety), and the order that I train my body parts. I am ALWAYS striving for gains in strength, execution, and focus all year long, and I am always pushing myself to lift the maximum amount of weight that is heavy FOR ME while allowing me to execute my target rep range.

This week has been a challenge for me in trying to determine the appropriate weight to use for each exercise and accomplish my target reps. Although the excises have not changed drastically, a simple change in the order in which an exercise is performed can affect the weight you are able to use.
    Using today’s arms workout as an example, my last triceps movement in the workout was wide grip bar pushdowns. This exercise was first in my previous routine, and I was able to lift 120 pounds for 8 to 10 reps in the prior routine. I attempted to use the same weight in today’s workout, but since my triceps were pre-exhausted from the preceding triceps exercises, I was unable to use the same weight and had to back down to 110 pounds and was still only able to accomplish 7 reps per set.

This is less than ideal as I believe in using straight working sets with the same weight, and the reps I was able to execute were less than that required by my plan. In addition, reducing the weight affects my mindset of never backing down, but it is crucial I follow my plan to get the best results.
    I will make adjustments to the weights used the next time through this routine to allow me to accomplish the target reps and perform straight working sets. The adjustments will be based my performance recorded in my training log.

My major training assessment this week is: I STILL WANT & EXPECT MORE FROM & OUT OF MYSELF in order to reach my goals!

NUTRITIONAL HABITS

Following through with my meal plan is never a problem as I know it is CRUCIAL to meet my goals and transform into my optimal physique. However, my busy schedule always makes things challenging and I have to constantly remind myself to eat on time, which I define as eating within 10 minutes of my scheduled meal time. There have been one or two evening meals this week that have fallen 30 minutes behind. I will strive to improve this, be more disciplined, and keep focused on my goals and the critical path to get there.

I also monitor how long I take to eat my meals. When I have a busy schedule and eat while I am working, I sometimes get distracted from eating and take 20 to 30 minutes to eat a meal. This is less than ideal. It is important that I ingest each meal timely to allow my food to process before the next meal. My work week was fairly busy with a few “emergencies” making it challenging to get the job done both at the office and with my meal plan, but have overcame the challenges this week.

How has YOUR physique, training, and nutritional performance been this week? Keep focused on your goals and your results, and prepare to assess your motivational/mental state and other important factors tomorrow.

What’s that? Your nutritional performance hasn’t been on track because you don’t have a plan? The number one reason why people never get started on a plan is because they never stop searching for the “perfect plan”. Stop searching for the “perfect plan”; invest in the Baseline Meal Plan today! Available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com

Isaiah 43: 2-3When you pass through the waters , I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God…..
    Visit:

Evaluating your week…. The Sunday Edition

On Monday, I encouraged you to set goals for the week, and today I remind you that the purpose of setting goals is NOT just to go through the motions of goal setting, but to set goals to get RESULTS!

Every week I encourage you to take a step back and review your week, how you followed through with the daily disciplines that you set to get you to your goals, and what kind of RESULTS you are getting.

Yesterday, I reviewed my week and evaluate my performance in these categories, and hope you did your own personal evaluation of YOUR week: Physique Assessment, Training Performance, Cardiovascular Performance, and Nutritional Habits.

In reality, achieving your physique goals is about SO MUCH MORE than simply sets, reps, nutrition, and cardio. Today, I will cover some of the MOST IMPORTANT aspects of you weekly review and encourage you to take a step back and look at these things too:
    • Motivation, Mental Focus, & Support Team
    • Other Important Contributing Factors & the Working Man’s World
    • The Big Picture, Life Goals & Dreams

MOTIVATION, MENTAL FOCUS, & SUPPORT TEAM
    The longer you play this “game” of building your ultimate physique, AND this game of life, you will realize that there is no magic pill, there is no hidden secret, there is no easy way to achieve your goals. It all comes down to YOU, how bad you want what you say you want, and what you are willing to do to achieve that dream.

To sum it all up, it is all about MOTIVATION! In order to stay motivated, you must surround yourself with the right people, seek out the resources to help you achieve your goals, and build your support team. This may include investing in a coach or two, including fitness professionals, fitness enthusiasts, business professionals, and life coaches as well.

FOCUS is also another key. You must remain focused on your goals, be PERSISTENT, RELENTLESS, DEDICATED and DETERMINED to reach your dreams.

My mental focus this week was not as clear in the gym as I would have liked it to be. With the exception of Monday, when I shot my leg training video, I struggled with mental clarity at times this week both inside and outside the gym. At 5:30 PM, when I weight train, you might think lack of focus and mental clarity are normal, but it is not normal for me. Several days I felt like my mind wasn’t 100 percent fully awake although my body was ready to go. This feeling of lack of mental clarity continued throughout the day and I didn’t feel quite like myself at times.

I did set my alarm for 3:50 this week instead of 3:55/4:00 to arrive at the gym a bit sooner to allow extra time to take a few photos each day and set up for a video on Monday, but the few minutes of reduced sleep is insignificant. In addition, the calorie reduction in my nutritional program should not be enough to affect mental clarity. I did start a new pre-workout product this week; the ingredients may not work well for me. The product contains l-dopamine, which is new to me and may not work well for my system. Different people react differently to different supplements. I will further evaluate the supplement and my performance this week and vary my pre-workout product to determine if that is the key. My mental focus & drive MUST be 100% every day!

On Monday, when I shot my leg training video, the ENTIRE workout was intense from the first set which I video recorded (wide stance leg press) to the last exercise performed. The legs/calves workout was incredible and endured 2 hours and consisted of 25 sets of legs (7 exercises) and 8 sets if heavy calves (2 exercises). Later that morning is when I noticed my mental clarity began to fade. That seemed pretty normal given the intensity of the legs routine.

As for my support team, sending my training videos to my coach long-distance is a great tool to make sure everything is on track with my training performance and execution according to plan. Her assessment: “Nicely done! It's hard to tell from the video where your knees are tracking - just make sure while doing wide stance to track your knees with your leg- don't let them buckle inward. Great effort!”

I also have another project in the works that involves my support team and motivation, which I will be able to discuss in the upcoming weeks.

OTHER IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTING FACTORS & THE WORKING MAN’S WORLD
    I have a full time career as a Civil Engineer requiring me to focus my attention on things outside the health and fitness world. Things were relatively busy this week at the office with a few minor “emergencies”, but overall the week went well.

To make the best use of my time, I write the majority of my fitness writings during my lunch hour and finish them up in the evenings. This can become challenging on busy days at the office when it is nice to leave the office, take a real “break”, and enjoy the sunshine, but I was focused on my goals.

In the evenings, when I get home, there is little time and/or energy and my mind is getting tired as well. I like to spend at least an hour relaxing with the family. As competition begins to kick into high gear in the upcoming months, and twice a day cardio sessions begin along with tanning sessions and posing, journaling will become more challenging. I am not sure how I will keep up. This leads me to the next section, why am I journaling and documenting my journey anyway?

THE BIG PICTURE, LIFE GOALS, & DREAMS
    I believe EVERYONE has a PURPOSE, a special talent, a gift in life.

Romans 12:6-8 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

This is my gift, what is YOURS and how will YOU use it?

Join my mailing list and receive my complimentary e-book, “10 Steps to Take YOU in a POSITIVE Direction”. Click here to join:
    http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today
    Visit:

My Goals for This Week
    1. Set alarm form 3:50AM. Start workout by 5:40AM. Record Start/End times of workout & assess efficiency.
    This was also my goal last week, but I was not 100% on track. I will continue to improve this week & become more efficient.

2. Improve focus, confidence in lifts, and cultivate the “how bad do you want it?” mentality in the gym.

3. Start week 2 of my competition training program. Establish high standards for repeat workouts in the following weeks.
    My workout programs run in 4 week cycles. Although body parts are trained on the same day (for example, legs are always trained on Monday), the exercises I perform and the order I perform them vary from week to week. This week will be another new workout series for me.

4. Focus on working the muscle and accomplishing target reps as my main priority.
    Last week, I was a bit over-ambitious on the weights I chose for some exercises using the new weight-training routine. My reps achieved were often lower (6 rep range) than required by my plan (10 rep range). It is CRUCIAL that I follow my plan. I will use the maximum weight I can use WHILE getting the target reps.[/b]

5. Review next day’s workout the night before and make sure I fully understand the workout and am mentally prepped 100 percent.

6. Shoot daily training photos & become more efficient & creative with photos.

7. Shoot weekly training video, access my form, execution, and intensity and how I can improve. Send video to my coach for review (this is a great opportunity to improve & be better connected).

8. Become more efficient with Phase I Competition Daily Disciplines, continue to refine them and follow through & maintain a POSITIVE, CAN-DO attitude.

9. Every evening, pre-frame the next day & what I will accomplish.

10. Train and live with the attitude of gratitude & enjoy EVERY step of the journey.

11. Keep focused on the “14-week sprint”

12. Be effective & efficient at the office

13. Focus on the Critical Path

What are YOUR goals for the week? Set a goal for fat-loss and/or mass gain and invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Today’s Challenge: 5 sets 175# Squats, 10 reps

Challenge Accepted!

Challenge Results:
    • Set 1: 9 reps to failure on 10th
    • Set 2: 7 reps to failure on 8th
    • Set 3: 5 reps to failure on 6th
    • Set 4: 5 reps to failure on 6th
    • Set 6: 5 reps to failure on 6th, drop to 135# for 5 slow reps

Challenge Assessment: It had been several months since I last performed this exercise; free bar squats were not included in my previous weight-training routine. When I performed squats last, my reps in sets 1-5 were respectively: 12, 12, 9, 7, and 5 respectively. As my body becomes accustomed to this exercise again, I will work my reps back up using this weight. In keeping with my goals to achieve my target reps, I will use 165# next time through this workout and target 10 reps per set. Once I accomplish this goal, I will work the weight back up to 175# again for the target 10 reps.

1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.
    Visit:

...Keeping strong! HumblyMuscles's Avatar
    HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000) HumblyMuscles is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by henderjb View Post

My Goals for This Week
    1. Set alarm form 3:50AM. Start workout by 5:40AM. Record Start/End times of workout & assess efficiency.
    This was also my goal last week, but I was not 100% on track. I will continue to improve this week & become more efficient.

2. Improve focus, confidence in lifts, and cultivate the “how bad do you want it?” mentality in the gym.

3. Start week 2 of my competition training program. Establish high standards for repeat workouts in the following weeks.
    My workout programs run in 4 week cycles. Although body parts are trained on the same day (for example, legs are always trained on Monday), the exercises I perform and the order I perform them vary from week to week. This week will be another new workout series for me.

4. Focus on working the muscle and accomplishing target reps as my main priority.
    Last week, I was a bit over-ambitious on the weights I chose for some exercises using the new weight-training routine. My reps achieved were often lower (6 rep range) than required by my plan (10 rep range). It is CRUCIAL that I follow my plan. I will use the maximum weight I can use WHILE getting the target reps.[/b]

5. Review next day’s workout the night before and make sure I fully understand the workout and am mentally prepped 100 percent.

6. Shoot daily training photos & become more efficient & creative with photos.

7. Shoot weekly training video, access my form, execution, and intensity and how I can improve. Send video to my coach for review (this is a great opportunity to improve & be better connected).

8. Become more efficient with Phase I Competition Daily Disciplines, continue to refine them and follow through & maintain a POSITIVE, CAN-DO attitude.

10. Train and live with the attitude of gratitude & enjoy EVERY step of the journey.

11. Keep focused on the “14-week sprint”

12. Be effective & efficient at the office

What are YOUR goals for the week? Set a goal for fat-loss and/or mass gain and invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

Today’s Challenge: 5 sets 175# Squats, 10 reps

Challenge Accepted!

Challenge Results:
    • Set 1: 9 reps to failure on 10th
    • Set 2: 7 reps to failure on 8th
    • Set 3: 5 reps to failure on 6th
    • Set 4: 5 reps to failure on 6th
    • Set 6: 5 reps to failure on 6th, drop to 135# for 5 slow reps

Challenge Assessment: It had been several months since I last performed this exercise; free bar squats were not included in my previous weight-training routine. When I performed squats last, my reps in sets 1-5 were respectively: 12, 12, 9, 7, and 5 respectively. As my body becomes accustomed to this exercise again, I will work my reps back up using this weight. In keeping with my goals to achieve my target reps, I will use 165# next time through this workout and target 10 reps per set. Once I accomplish this goal, I will work the weight back up to 175# again for the target 10 reps.

1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.

Great stuff henderjb- I just started squatting again to. Hopefully going for a new PB in a couple of weeks! Have a good week
    People asking questions lost in confusion, Well I tell them there's no problem,
    Only solutions... John Lennon

If the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.

My best genetic bodypart is my Mind...

++Positive Crew++

4th Dan Black Belt Taekwondo ( W.T.F. ) Former Instructor

Its always you against you! Remember when going for that record to keep focused on the muscles you are using WHILE blasting the weight!
    Originally Posted by HumblyMuscles View Post
    Great stuff henderjb- I just started squatting again to. Hopefully going for a new PB in a couple of weeks! Have a good week
    Visit:

What weight is right for YOU and how much body fat should YOU lose?

Do an internet search on “ideal weight” and you’ll find countless recommendations on the weight that is ideal for you based on numerous factors such as your gender, height, and age. You will also find that those recommendations vary greatly depending on which internet site you look at. You will find ideal weights for the “average person”, ideal weights for the “fitness enthusiast”, and even ideal weights for the elderly, so what weight is right for YOU?

The weight that is right for you is a PERSONAL decision based on your goals and expectations for yourself, what weight you feel mentally and physically best at, and ultimately what weight makes YOU happy!

To an extent, this is even true when preparing for a physique or bodybuilding competition. YOU have to be happy with the amount of body fat you present on stage and your conditioning, and it is YOUR responsibility to present the best YOU!

How long will it take YOU to reach your target body fat reduction goal? This is all dependent on how much body fat you are currently carrying, how much body fat you intend to lose, and what level of conditioning you wish to achieve.

Your goal whenever reducing body fat should be to maintain your current level of muscularity, if not add even more muscle, while stripping body fat. Maintaining your current level of muscularity will enable you to burn more calories on a daily basis and allow you to look and feel athletic and at your best! You NEVER want to sacrifice muscle in your quest for body fat loss and end up feeling poorly and looking “skinny fat”.

In order to maintain strength and energy levels and maximize muscle retention, the average individual should target a maximum weight loss of two pounds per week with the exception of the first week following a meal plan for fat loss. During the first week on your new meal plan, you may lose slightly more body weight (on the scale) due to a reduction in water weight often associated with the initial transition to a healthy meal plan.

Don’t underestimate the value of setting a target date! Setting a target date, a deadline, gives you the sense of urgency needed to succeed! It is just like having a competition date to meet! Make sure to set your target for both weight loss AND the time in which you will achieve it high enough! If your target is to lose 20-25 pounds, considering setting a target date for weight loss 12 weeks away requiring you to lose two pounds a week.

Conditioning takes time to reach. Although the body is an incredible tool, it needs time to condition allowing your skin to tighten and thin to accommodate your reduced body fat stores and look your best. If you are preparing for a physique or bodybuilding competition, allow at least 12 weeks on your competition meal plan to reach the level of conditioning you need. This is true even if you only have minimal weight to lose.

To begin working towards YOUR ideal weight, invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

1 Corinthians 15:10 By the grace of God I am what I am.
    Visit:

Incline Bar Press

Developing a great chest requires a lot more focus, energy, and attention that you might imagine at first.
    Don’t expect to bang out the heaviest weight you can lift for just a few reps on the flat bench press and call it a chest routine.

Just like every body part, the chest muscles must be hit from a variety of angles in order to fully develop and maximize muscle growth. For women in particular, I recommend a primary focus on upper chest movements by performing movements like the Incline Bar Press as demonstrated in this video.

Weight is always important and you MUST push yourself to grown. However, don’t get too caught up on how much weight you can bench so that you actually LOSE FOCUS on your goal of contracting the muscle and stimulating muscle growth.

Incline Bench Press was my first chest exercise of the day, so I performed a warm-up (mental and physical preparation set) with a 10# plate on each side for 6 reps to get used to the feel of the weight, contract the muscles, and breathe. I added another 10# plate on each side and performed a second warm-up set of 6 reps.

Then, I began my working sets with a 25# plate on each side for all four sets for my target reps according to plan (10 reps). The reps I achieve on each set were as follows; I typically rest 90 seconds between sets:
    • Set 1: (Video) 10 reps to failure on 11th rep
    • Set 2: (video) 8 reps to failure on the 9th rep
    • Set 3: 6 reps to failure on the 7th rep
    • Set 4: 4 reps to failure on the 8th rep

Make sure to focus on the negative portion of the rep. Don’t let the bar drop too quickly and DON’T bounce the bar off your chest at the bottom of the rep. Both of these things result in loss of muscle tension and the negative portion of the rep. The negative portion of the rep is just as important if not more important than the positive (push) portion of the rep for stimulating muscle growth.

Controlling the negative portion of the rep may require you to reduce the amount of weight you are using, but remember your ultimate goal is to work the muscle and stimulate muscle growth, not just to bench big weight! Once you are able to control the weight THEN increase the weight! You must always strive to get stronger in order to grow! Go for BOTH the weight that is heavy for YOU, AND the execution to reach your goals and grow!

Other things to consider when performing the Incline Bench are making sure you are getting a good range of motion, breathing, squeezing your chest muscles on the contraction and keeping your chest up.

Also note the position of the bar as you bring it down to your chest. The bar should not be so high on your chest that your front deltoids (shoulders) begin doing all the work instead of your chest. Ask yourself, what muscles are feeling the weight?

Also experiment with elbow position, in particular if you experience shoulder pain. Keeping your elbows tucked in closer to your body often alleviates unnecessary stress from your shoulders which can sometimes lead to shoulder pain.

For future training routines, performance enhancements and training tips, join my mailing list: http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today

Psalms 18:32 It is God who arms me with strength and makes my ways perfect.
    Visit:

ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZambaRhino is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's good to be positive and all dont get me wrong but the gym is a place to train and work hard, not to take pictures of yourself, just my opinion. Ik at my gym it gets crowded and packed and its hard to get around sometimes, if someone serious or like me or anyone else at my gym seen someone on and or blocking weights or equipment because they are taking a picture of themselves we would not take them seriously and be pissed. I used have very low self esteem, built it up by working hard and not giving up. Put your headphones in and put something heavy on and go to work!

Maximizing your Cardiovascular Training for Optimal Results!

What cardiovascular program is right for YOU and how much should YOU do?
    Any type of cardiovascular activity or cardiovascular equipment can be effective if you keep in mind a few simple things.

First of all, remember that whatever type of cardiovascular activity you choose, it must be at least somewhat enjoyable to YOU! If it is not enjoyable, you will not stick with it, and in order for any program to be effective, you must CONSISTENTLY follow it through.

Remember, it’s not just WHAT you do, but it’s HOW you do it and how CONSISTENTLY you follow it through!

Second of all, you must set cardiovascular training STANDARDS. Determine how much cardio you will do each session. This is your TIME standard. Then determine how many times a week you will perform your cardiovascular training and set this as your standard SCHEDULE for cardiovascular training. Begin performing cardio based on these standards and continue on this program for several weeks.

If you are not reaching your goals, you will know it is time to RAISE your standards by either increasing the amount of time you spend each cardio session or increasing the number of cardio sessions.

Next, establish your HEART RATE standard. Do this by determining your goal and your desired heart rate based upon that goal. If your goal is to lose body fat, target a heart rate of approximately 65 percent of your maximum heart rate. If your goal is to increase cardiovascular health, target a heart rate of approximately 80 percent of your maximum heart rate. Many cardio machines are equipped with a heart rate monitor, but consider purchasing your own heart rate monitor “watch”. You don’t need anything real fancy, a simple heart rate monitor will do. You can find one at your local sporting goods store or on-line priced as low as $25.

Calculating your maximum heart rate is easy. Just take 220 minus your age. For example, if you are 35 years old, your maximum heart rate is 220 – 35 = 185 beats per minute (BPM).

Your desired heart rate for fat burning would then be 185 BPM X 0.65 = 120 BPM

Your desired heart rate for cardiovascular training would then be 185 BPM x 0.80 = 148 BPM

For general maintenance all year around, I recommend a minimum of three (preferably four), 30 minute sessions of cardiovascular training performed at least three times a week AFTER weight training or on days when you don’t weight train. A cardiovascular schedule such as this will keep your metabolism running high throughout the year allowing you to eat AND burn more calories. It will also provide you with general health benefits such as heart health. Performing your cardio vascular training after weight training sessions as opposed to before training with weights prevents you from compromising your strength and muscle gains.

My current cardiovascular training program for the first phase of my competition preparation has not changed from my off-season routine and is as follows:
    • Tuesdays (after weight training): 20 min bike; 10 elliptical
    • Wednesday (day off weight-training): 2miles in 15 min on treadmill, 15 min bike
    • Thursday (after weight-training): 20 min on Stepmill; 10 min elliptical
    • Sunday (day off weight training): 25 min incline treadmill. Pace 3.8 pace, incline ranging from 4 to 10; followed by 10 min stepper

All sessions are performed at approximately 80% to 85% of my maximum heart rate. I vary cardiovascular training equipment to keep things fresh and exciting, which is what works for ME!

When it is time to really gear up for fat loss, consider increasing the number of cardiovascular training sessions above your maintenance level. This is the approach that I will be taking as my competition date approaches.

Congratulations, YOU now have all the tools to get started with your cardiovascular training routine! Hit the “GO” button and start seeing results!

But remember, no matter how much cardiovascular activity you do, you cannot make up for improper nutrition.

You MUST follow a proper nutrition program to reach your goals. Invest in the Baseline Meal plan, available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

1 Corinthians 9:26-27: I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection; lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
    Visit:

Have you ever had a day where everything HITS at once and you just can’t seem to get it all done?

Just because you can’t do EVERYTHING doesn’t mean you can’t do SOMETHING!

Strong-arm it and do what you can!

There is always SOMETHING you can do to work towards your goals every day if you are truly committed.

For example,
    if working overtime or other commitments keep you from the gym, does that mean you can’t do ANYTHING to work towards your health and fitness goals? Remember, NUTRITION is at least 75 percent of the way you look AND feel! DON’T through in the towel! Follow through with proper nutrition & do what you can!

The Baseline Meal plan provides information on an optimal meal replacement powder for times on the run. To invest in the Baseline Meal Plan visit: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.
    Visit:

Evaluating your week….

On Monday, I encouraged you to set goals for every week. The purpose of setting goals is NOT just to go through the motions of goal setting, but to set goals to get RESULTS!

Every weekend I encourage you to take a step back and review your week, how you followed through with the daily disciplines you set to reach your goals, and what kind of RESULTS you are getting.

Re-evaluate your goals and the steps you set to take you there. Make changes as needed and/or give yourself a swift kick in the ass if you aren’t following through!

Each week I review my week and evaluate my performance in several categories. I will review these categories today and encourage YOU to do the same:
    • Physique Assessment
    • Training Performance
    • Cardiovascular Performance
    • Nutritional Habits

PHYSIQUE ASSESSMENT
    I have continued to see a slight reduction in body fat in my lower abdominals this week as a result of the “cleaner” meal plan and the slight reduction in calories since the start of my Phase I competition meal plan. I follow the principles set forth in my Baseline Meal Plan, available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com

In order to make an accurate comparison of my weight changes from week to week, I weigh on the scale every Friday, first thing in the morning, before I eat or drink anything, and wearing the same thing (nothing). Last week my weight was 133.6 pounds. This week my weight was 133.2, resulting in a net loss of ½ pound.

I also use an Omron® Fat Loss Monitor to track my body fat. I am not so much concerned with the actual body fat percentage shown, but if the numbers are up or down. Last week, Omron® measured me at 15.1% body fat, 21.1 Body Mass Index (BMI). This week, by percent body fat dropped to 15.0% while my BMI remained unchanged.

My goal in the initial few weeks of competition preparation is to let my body adapt to Phase I of my competition meal plan and continue to eat quality nutrients according to my plan with NO deviations and NO cheat meals. The slight reduction in calories associated with the first phase of my competition meal plan (300 calorie reduction) will allow me to maintain the maximum amount of muscle and keep my muscles full while I slowly lose body fat and “harden” up.
    Based on the RESULTS above, I am on target with my Physique goals.

TRAINING PERFORMANCE
    I change up my weight training program approximately every 12 weeks to keep my mind and body fresh, stimulated, and wanting more! My new weight training program began last week. My weight training program runs in 4 week cycles with every weight training day in the four week cycle being different. This keeps my body guessing, engages my mind, and hits every body part from all different angles for maximum results.

I typically run through the four week training cycle three times for a total period of 12 weeks before switching to a new weight training routine. Each time through the four-week cycle, I focus on making improvements in strength, reps, and/or execution.

In my four week training cycle, body parts are trained on the same day each week (for example, legs are always trained on Monday in this training routine). However, the exercises I perform for each body part and the order I perform the exercises in vary from week to week.

This week was week two in the four week training cycle, so this was my first time through the week 2 weight training routines.

Last week was a challenge for me in trying to determine the appropriate weight to use for each exercise and accomplish my target reps. Although the excises have not changed drastically from my last routine, a simple change in the order in which exercises are performed can affect the weight I am able to use.

Last week, I often overestimated my strength and although I was able to execute the movements with good control and form in most cases, the reps I was able to accomplish were below the target reps according to my plan. This week, I made an effort to improve upon that and define and establish a STANDARD for what “acceptable rep range” meant to me.

I perform straight, working sets with the maximum weight I am able achieve given my target rep range for each exercise as opposed to pyramiding the weights with each set. With each set, my muscles begin to fatigue more using the same weight, and the reps I am able to accomplish frequently (not always) decline after the first set.

I defined “acceptable rep range” as follows: If my plan calls for 10 target reps and I am unable to perform at least 9 reps on the first set, the weight is too heavy for me. I will reduce the weight slightly to allow me to accomplish the target reps according to my plan.

Occasionally, one exercise per body part is sometimes specified as “HEAVY” on my plan. I always strive, to lift the maximum weight possible, so my weights are ALWAYS heavy for me. However, some sets are to be performed EVEN HEAVIER! For sets specifically marked as “HEAVY” on my plan, I defined acceptable reps as follows: If my plan calls for 10 target reps and I am unable to perform at least 8 reps on the first set, the weight is too heavy for me. I will reduce the weight slightly to allow me to accomplish the target reps according to my plan.

Likewise, one exercise per body part is sometimes specified as “LIGHT” on my plan. “Light” sets DON’T mean that I can “take it easy”. Easy is NEVER the answer! I defined acceptable rep range for “LIGHT” sets as follows: If my plan calls for 10-12 target reps and I am unable to perform at least 12 reps on the first set, the weight is too heavy for me. I will reduce the weight slightly to allow me to accomplish the target reps according to my plan. “Light” sets should also be performed with only 60 seconds rest between sets, where all other sets are performed with 90 seconds rest.

My major training assessment this week is: This weeks’ training performance was better than last week, but I still want MORE! There is ALWAYS a higher level & I haven’t reached it YET but I am on the way with my new “STANDARDS” & definitions of “acceptable reps”.

CARDIOVASCULAR PERFORMANCE
    There has been no change to my cardiovascular program from my off-season routine. My current cardio schedule is as follows, with a target heart rate ranging from 80-85% max (153-163BPM):
    • Tues – 20 minutes bike, 10 minutes elliptical
    • Wed – 2 miles/15 minutes on treadmill
    • Thurs – 20 min on Stepmill; 10 min elliptical
    • Sun – 25 min incline treadmill. Pace 3.8, level ranging from 4-10 followed by 10 minutes on stepper.

Cardio sessions Tuesday & Thursday are performed after weight training. Wed and Sunday are days off weight training. Cardio is performed after meal one on Wed and after meal 2 on Sunday.

At this point, my cardiovascular training program is very easy for me to keep up with and requires no evening or twice a day sessions. I am enjoying every moment of the “good life” as I know the number of cardiovascular sessions and the duration of the sessions will increase in the next few weeks as my competition program begins to kick into second gear.

NUTRITIONAL HABITS
    Following through with my meal plan is never a problem as I know it is CRUCIAL to meet my goals and transform into my optimal physique.
    However, my busy schedule always makes things challenging and I have to constantly remind myself to eat on time, which I define as eating within 10 minutes of my scheduled meal time. There have been one or two evening meals this week that have fallen 30 minutes behind. I will strive to improve this, be more disciplined, and keep focused on my goals and the critical path to get there.

I have begun to look forward to my “favorite meals” of the each day and find myself moderately hungry at times and waiting for the next meal to come. I cussed under my breath when I saw the Boston Crème filled donuts at the office one morning, but temptations like these are never hard to overcome because I always have my prepared food with me and I am focused on my goals. I also remind myself that no matter how good those donuts look, I remember how bad the heartburn feels!

How has YOUR physique, training, and nutritional performance been this week? Keep focused on your goals and your results, and prepare to assess your motivational/mental state and some of the MOST IMPORTANT factors to help you achieve your goals tomorrow.

What’s that? Your nutritional performance hasn’t been on track because you don’t have a plan? The number one reason why people never get started on a plan is because they never stop searching for the “perfect plan”. Stop searching for the “perfect plan”; invest in the Baseline Meal Plan today! Available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com

Romans 14:8
    : For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s.
    Visit:

Hi ZambaRhino, you make some good points. It is very important to be respectful to others in the gym & NOT overkill it with the videos/photos. That's why you'll notice that I only shoot a training video about once a week and only shoot 1 or two sets. Also, I have earned the respect of my gym members & they support my video & training efforts.

Training videos & photos when used in the right context can be a very useful training tool to help you access form & improve your technique. They are also a great tool for working long-distance with coaches. I am fortunate to work with an IFBB pro & we use videos to communicate & make sure we are on the same page with execution, technique & performance.

Congrats with overcoming your low self-esteem. I also agree that headphones are a great training tool to help keep you in the zone. Check out my video & you'll see that even during my video, I've got them on!

Keep training hard!

Originally Posted by ZambaRhino View Post
    It's good to be positive and all dont get me wrong but the gym is a place to train and work hard, not to take pictures of yourself, just my opinion. Ik at my gym it gets crowded and packed and its hard to get around sometimes, if someone serious or like me or anyone else at my gym seen someone on and or blocking weights or equipment because they are taking a picture of themselves we would not take them seriously and be pissed. I used have very low self esteem, built it up by working hard and not giving up. Put your headphones in and put something heavy on and go to work!
    I
    Visit:

Evaluating your week…. The Sunday Edition

On Monday, I encouraged you to set goals for the week. Yesterday, I reminded you that the purpose of setting goals is NOT just to go through the motions of goal setting, but to set goals to get RESULTS!

Every week I encourage you to take a step back and review your week, how you followed through with the daily disciplines that you set to reach your goals, and what kind of RESULTS you are getting.

Yesterday, I reviewed my week and evaluated my performance in these categories, and hope you did your own personal evaluation of YOUR week: Physique Assessment, Training Performance, Cardiovascular Performance, and Nutritional Habits.

In reality, achieving your physique goals is about SO MUCH MORE than simply sets, reps, nutrition, and cardio. Today, I will cover some of the MOST IMPORTANT aspects of you weekly review and encourage you to take a step back and look at these things too:
    • Motivation, Mental Focus, & Support Team
    • Other Important Contributing Factors & the Working Man’s World
    • The Big Picture, Life Goals & Dreams

MOTIVATION, MENTAL FOCUS, & SUPPORT TEAM
    The longer you play this “game” of building your ultimate physique, AND this game of life, you will realize that there is no magic pill, there is no hidden secret, there is no easy way to achieve your goals. It all comes down to YOU, how bad you want what you say you want, and what you are willing to do to achieve that dream.

To sum it all up, it is all about MOTIVATION! In order to stay motivated, you must surround yourself with the right people, seek out the resources to help you achieve your goals, and build your support team. This may include investing in a coach or two, including fitness professionals, fitness enthusiasts, business professionals, and life coaches as well.

FOCUS is also another key. You must remain focused on your goals, be PERSISTENT, RELENTLESS, DEDICATED and DETERMINED to reach your dreams.

MENTAL FOCUS
    Last week my mental focus in the gym was not as clear as I would have liked it to be, and several days I didn’t feel my mind was 100 percent fully awake although my body felt ready to go. This lack of mental clarity continued throughout the day and I didn’t feel quite like myself at times. This week, I felt like “myself” again, fully awake on the drive into the gym and with a clear head when I arrived and throughout my day.

Perhaps I struggled with allergies last week, or perhaps my body was just adjusting to the new routine, but more importantly it may have been the adjustment to a new “life” routine. Not only was I adjusting to a new weight training program and a slightly reduced calorie meal plan, but I was also adjusting to new daily disciplines and processes for accomplishing all my goals.

These daily disciplines & processes included things like shooting weekly training videos, taking daily training photos, and journaling to document my competition preparation, make the most of my journey and help me become more AWARE of everything and work closer with my coach.
    The first week at ANYTHING is always the hardest, thus the saying, “Everything is hard until it becomes easy”. The key is sticking with it long enough for it to BECOME easy. I am well on my way!

Sending my training videos to my coach long-distance is a great tool to make sure everything is on track with my training performance and execution according to plan. Her assessment of my training video this week (Incline Bar Chest Press) was that my form was “perfect, but I should consider getting someone to spot me in case of failure; just remind them not to touch it unless I “die”. “Lookin’ gooood”

I also have another project in the works that involves my support team and motivation, which I will be able to discuss in the upcoming weeks.

OTHER IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTING FACTORS & THE WORKING MAN’S WORLD
    I have a full time career as a Civil Engineer requiring me to focus my attention on things outside the health and fitness world. This week was as near “perfect” a work week as there is for me. My work this week consisted of predominantly review of engineering plans requiring little interaction with people and making it easy to eat my meals and stay on schedule. The only challenge with this is that time passes by relatively slowly and I find myself thinking about and waiting for my next meal time.

Social functions can pose a particular challenge during competition preparation and throw “loops” in your schedule that require some extra creativity and dedication to get around. It seems like every year during competition, I have a wedding to attend! This weekend I was invited to a wedding that ended up being somewhat of a “surprise” event. Look for a post later this week on “A Weekend in the Life of a Competitive Athlete”.

I continue to be encouraged by those succeeding with my Baseline Meal Plan and by the emails like the one I received this week expressing admiration, respect, and love for female competitive athletes and the “great life stories” that are a great inspiration to others.

THE BIG PICTURE, LIFE GOALS, & DREAMS
    In this world of bodybuilding and training, it’s easy to become self-reliant, seclude ourselves, and stay within ourselves and our own “controlled” environment. This can sometimes limit us both INSIDE and OUTSIDE the gym.
    INSIDE THE GYM, maybe it is time to ask for that “spot” just like my trainer suggested in her review of my training video this week. That “spot” might be that little extra help needed to GROW!

OUTSIDE THE GYM, look for help from others who have been where you want to go and use their guidance and resources to help you get to where you want to go. Most importantly, remember to ask for a “spot” from God and His guidance and direction in AND through your life! Align your thoughts and actions with God’s plan for you in life; all other efforts are futile.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Join my mailing list and receive my complimentary e-book, “10 Steps to Take YOU in a POSITIVE Direction”. Click here to join: http://bit.ly/join_my_mailing_list-today
    Visit:

My Goals for This Week:
    1. Set alarm form 3:50AM. Start workout by 5:40AM. Record Start/End times of workout & assess/improve efficiency.
    • This was also my goal last week. I was 95% on track last week, but not 100%. I will continue to improve this week & become more efficient.
    3. Start week 3 of my competition training program. Establish high standards for repeat workouts in the following weeks.
    • My workout programs run in 4 week cycles. Although body parts are trained on the same day (for example, legs are always trained on Monday), the exercises I perform and the order I perform them vary from week to week. This week will be another new workout series for me.
    4. Focus on working the muscle and accomplishing target reps as my main priority. Follow the standards I developed over the weekend defining my “acceptable rep range” as follows:
    • Acceptable Rep Range (General Sets): If my plan calls for 10 target reps and I am unable to perform at least 9 reps on the first set, the weight is too heavy for me. I will reduce the weight slightly to allow me to accomplish the target reps according to my plan.
    • Acceptable rep range (“HEAVY” sets): If my plan calls for 10 target reps and I am unable to perform at least 8 reps on the first set, the weight is too heavy for me. I will reduce the weight slightly to allow me to accomplish the target reps according to my plan.
    • Acceptable rep range (“Light” sets): If my plan calls for 10-12 target reps and I am unable to perform at least 12 reps on the first set, the weight is too heavy for me. I will reduce the weight slightly to allow me to accomplish the target reps according to my plan. “Light” sets will also be performed with only 60 seconds rest between sets (all other sets are performed with 90 seconds rest between).
    6. Predetermine daily training photos the night before, execute them, & become more efficient & creative.
    11. Keep focused on the “14-week sprint” (2 weeks down, 12 to go)
    12. Be effective & efficient at the office & everywhere

What are YOUR goals for the week? Set your physique & training goals & invest in the Baseline Meal Plan to get YOU there. Available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com/

In general, I am peaceful, temperate person and enjoy a good stretch after an awesome workout:

1 Samuel 12:24 Consider what great things He has done for you.

But…. during the workout, the game & the game face are ON! Nobody ever said weight training was "pretty"....
    Visit:

Weddings and other social functions can pose a particular challenge in reaching your physique goals, but with creativity dedication, and commitment, you CAN win!

Just last weekend I had a wedding to attend, and since there are NO days off or cheat meals on a competition preparation program, I carried my food along!

You should never be afraid or embarrassed to carry your food with you AND eat it wherever you go. Remember this and be proud of yourself as you strive to reach your goals! Other people will admire your discipline and commitment and your inner strength will GROW!

You should never be afraid to be unique and different; you should never be afraid to be YOU! Keep following through with your goals, weight training, and nutrition program and pretty soon your food won’t be the only thing standing out in a crowd. Your physique will stand out too!

Changes to your physique are often subtle, but they ADD UP up over time. Personally, I often don’t realize just how far I’ve come and just how much muscle I have sculpted over the years until I put on a dress. Then, I some things really stand out and can be in a good way hard to fit.

How are YOUR clothes fitting and what are they telling YOU about how your body has changed over last few months, weeks, or years? Your clothing is one of the best ways to measure RESULTS!

There will ALWAYS be social events; there will ALWAYS be obstacles in your path. There will NEVER be the perfect time to get started on the path to reach your goals, and there will never be a better time than right NOW!

Start with proper nutrition and invest in the Baseline Meal Plan available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com

…… and remember, social events are about people and friendship and not all about the food!
    Proverbs 15:17 Better is a dinner with herbs where love is, Than with a fatted calf with hatred.
    Visit:

Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skeeeeet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Have you ever wondered: What supplements really work, what supplements should YOU use, and what supplements do the Pros really use?

For 12 plus years I researched supplements trying to make sure I made the most of both my money and time and efforts in the gym. I began my supplement research in 1999, reading magazine articles, researching supplements on the internet, trying various supplements first hand and logging my results.

As the years went by, I arrived on a baseline supplement program that stood the test. I read about these baseline supplements in magazines year after year. While other new & exciting supplement products came and went, these baseline supplements stood the test of time AND the results I experienced first-hand backed up the research I read about and proved theses supplements were as effective as I had read.

I also invested in coaching with two IFBB pros and a six-time national champion and found out that the same supplements I established as my Baseliine supplements really are the supplements the Pros use and the ones they recommend to get RESULTS!

Look for more on this topic later this week!

and remember ..... The BEST supplement is PROPER NUTRITION. Without proper nutrition, even the best supplements won’t get you there! Invest in the Baseline Meal Plan, available at: http://www.joyhenderson.blogspot.com

Romans 8:6 .....to be spritually minded is life and peace.
    Last edited by henderjb; 05-02-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Visit: