Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not your typical 'I want abs' post.

Im still doing my cut and slowly losing weight, but my main focus during this time is a solid core, especially for my training.

Besides just doing regular sit ups with a weight plate on my chest, and sidebends with a kettle bell, I dont really know many other core exercises to get a set of solid abs.

Visibility isnt important for me, but I wanna be sure that if I get kicked or punched in thai boxing I dont keel over, so if anyone knows any ways to toughen them up, lemme know?

MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MatthRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kevbazz View Post
    Im still doing my cut and slowly losing weight, but my main focus during this time is a solid core, especially for my training.

Besides just doing regular sit ups with a weight plate on my chest, and sidebends with a kettle bell, I dont really know many other core exercises to get a set of solid abs.

Visibility isnt important for me, but I wanna be sure that if I get kicked or punched in thai boxing I dont keel over, so if anyone knows any ways to toughen them up, lemme know?
    Assisted crunches will really tighten up the top of your core, put your legs up on a weight bench up to your knee crease and preform a slow controlled crunch really focusing on the squeeze at the top of the crunch.
    There's a boxer at my gym, Enzo Maccarinelli (google Him) and he constantly does side leg raises do strengthen his core and it'll also strengthen your power when punching/kicking
    , lay on the floor on your back with arms out to your side, preform a leg raise, toes pointed then lower your leg raise to an inch off the floor to the left then back to centre and then the right. Doing both sides is 1 rep. I think formally they are called reverse trunk twists so google for better description.

As for rep range of your performing the crunches with solid form you should be doing 3x20 and the reverse trunk twists with good form should be around 4x10.

Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vazura will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kevbazz View Post

This is doing good for me

http://www.freeworkoutguides.com/node/680

batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want it to be part of a martial arts type of thing then train that way.

If you want to be able to withstand punches and kicks, practice getting punched and kicked.

As a training exercise brace (your core should be contracted and tight at this point) and get someone to punch you, starting off light and increasing the intensity each time. You can run it as a drill where you take turns hitting your partner as well. You could hit yourself, with a reverse hammer fist alternating hands, mid crunch while training ab work.

Master your breathing as well.
    -Having a big tool box is great but it means nothing if you lack a set of standard screwdrivers and a hammer.
    -The Pareto principle: 80% of the effects are from 20% of causes. All the other small details will only affect a small portion of results, 80% of causes will contribute to 20% of the effects.

RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&pagenumber=

Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevbazz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MatthRaw View Post
    Assisted crunches will really tighten up the top of your core, put your legs up on a weight bench up to your knee crease and preform a slow controlled crunch really focusing on the squeeze at the top of the crunch.
    There's a boxer at my gym, Enzo Maccarinelli (google Him) and he constantly does side leg raises do strengthen his core and it'll also strengthen your power when punching/kicking
    , lay on the floor on your back with arms out to your side, preform a leg raise, toes pointed then lower your leg raise to an inch off the floor to the left then back to centre and then the right. Doing both sides is 1 rep. I think formally they are called reverse trunk twists so google for better description.

As for rep range of your performing the crunches with solid form you should be doing 3x20 and the reverse trunk twists with good form should be around 4x10.
    I think I kinda know what you mean, thatd target the obliques right? The trunk twist? I read somewhere about a Russian Seated crunch with a plate, do you know anything about them??

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    overhead squats
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) INB4BBC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP, you`re in a calorie deficit if you`re cutting.

You do realize the likelihood of hypertrophy is extremely low when you`re in a deficit right?

When you are bulking, just make sure to train them consistently and progressively overload, no use worrying about how to pack on extra mass when you`re in a deficit, it probably would not happen unless you are a beginner

Originally Posted by INB4BBC View Post
    OP, you`re in a calorie deficit if you`re cutting.

You do realize the likelihood of hypertrophy is extremely low when you`re in a deficit right?

When you are bulking, just make sure to train them consistently and progressively overload, no use worrying about how to pack on extra mass when you`re in a deficit, it probably would not happen unless you are a beginner
    Yeah I understand that, but Ive been losing round 3lbs on avg a week, and I only need to drop 5 more lbs before Im ready to begin bulking again. I just wanna get my stuff in check first.

Besides doing weightplated situps (Pretty much start off with a crunch and carry on into a full situp position) the only way Ive noticed a difference in my core is the time it takes to fatigue, and a little mass on the obliques. Since theyre not visible I cant even tell if ive gained mass there while trying to activley gain. Sure I could carry on cutting and such, but as a 5'6'' tall guy for my bf to be below 15% I'm gonna need to drop to around 9.x stone, and ideally I wanna be back bulking asap.