ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need a weightlifting routine for fat loss and muscle building!

First off, I want to thank you people for visiting this thread and hopefully giving me some advice that will help me. I know what most of you might think..."You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time" but I'm a noobie in the gym and I've heard when you first start out, that you can do both simultaneously.

Quick overview of my stats:
    Start of 2012 - Weight: 217lbs
    Height: 6"0'
    Body fat: 26.1%

And with some insanity/p90x workouts along with playing ultimate frisbee, kayaking, road biking, and watching my diet, I got all the way down to:
    185.6lbs
    Same height
    15.6% BF
    156.6 Lean Body Mass
    And I'm 21 years old if anyone needs to know.

What I'm discovering is that the leaner I get, the scrawnier I'm starting to feel. I thought I had a little more muscle mass than I really do and I'm not liking it one bit haha. So as of today I decided to start incorporating going to the gym with Insanity's HIIT cardio workouts to recompose my body and hopefully let me reach my ideal body goals. My workout schedule for the past month was this:

Diet: Around 1800 calories a day. BMR = 2050 cals.
    Sunday: Ultimate Frisbee (idk if you guys have ever played, but this sport is extremely high intensity with lots of running, sprinting, and jumping involved.)
    Monday: P90X Chest/Back
    Tuesday: Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: P90X Shoulders/Arms
    Friday: Insanity Pure Cardio/Cardio Abs
    Saturday: Biking or rest

The reason I incorporated p90x in my routine was so I could maintain and perhaps even gain some lean muscle instead of lose some of it, which I hear is normal for people who are cutting. My main goal is to get at or under 7% Body Fat whilst adding perhaps 5-10lbs of muscle. I'm at a standstill, a crossroads of whether I should focus on straight cutting, or try to go on a bulk, or if i should do like a Mon/Wed/Fri gym routine along with a Sun/Tues/Thurs cardio routine. That's my plan for now at least, but I was wondering if any of yall had a better idea for me. I'm kind of scared to bulk because I've spent my whole life being fat and spent a LONG time getting to the bf% I am now and don't want to go back up. ALSO any tips on my diet? Is 1800 calories too much or too little to reach my fitness goals?

NOTE: I don't have a gym partner available so I'm gonna be in there without a spotter, so if you have any weightlifting routines that don't require a spotter, that'd be freakin phenomenal!
    Again, thank you SOOO much for reading and chipping in your personal advice. It seriously means a lot to me, seeing as how I have been stressing about all of this for the past year. Thank you guys!
    Last edited by ehanna91; 11-26-2012 at 07:03 PM.

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Remember, no specific strategy or workout program is best for you, choose what's best for you yourself.

Since your BF% is low enough, you don't need that many cardio during your week. Simply having a calorie deficit diet (while keeping around 40% Carbs/40% Protein/20% Fat) and some weightlifting should be more than enough to get your BF% steadily lower while gaining some muscle.

I recommend;

Day 1: Push day (Triceps, Shoulders, Chest) - Make sure on this day, you do compound movements such as Bench Press/Dumbbell Press/Upper Dumbbell Press
    Day 2: Pull day (Biceps, Back)
    Day 3: Legs (Glutes, Calves, Hamstring, Quads) - Make sure on this day, you do compound movements such as Deadlifts/Squats
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Rest (Optional)

Then restart the pattern.

Also, note that you may do cardio in any of those exercise days (except for your rest days).

As for the sets and reps, I do a 3 week cycle (remember, this is your own personal decision, this is just my program). Then after two cycles of 3 weeks, I take a one week break just so I don't overtrain.

Week 1 - Endurance: Most exercises 3 sets of 10-12 reps (same weight)
    Week 2 - Strength: Most exercises 4 sets of 5-6 reps (increasing weight)
    Week 3 - More strength: Most exercises 5 sets of 3 reps (increase it even more)

Then steadily increase the weight for all exercises.

Also, how old are you?

(Feel free to flame me/criticize me, I am also a newbie at this but this program has been giving me all kinds of results thus far)

jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10) jeffkastner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ehanna91 View Post
    First off, I want to thank you people for visiting this thread and hopefully giving me some advice that will help me. I know what most of you might think..."You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time" but I'm a noobie in the gym and I've heard when you first start out, that you can do both simultaneously.

Quick overview of my stats:
    Start of 2012 - Weight: 217lbs
    Height: 6"0'
    Body fat: 26.1%

And with some insanity/p90x workouts along with playing ultimate frisbee, kayaking, road biking, and watching my diet, I got all the way down to:
    185.6lbs
    Same height
    15.6% BF
    156.6 Lean Body Mass

What I'm discovering is that the leaner I get, the scrawnier I'm starting to feel. I thought I had a little more muscle mass than I really do and I'm not liking it one bit haha. So as of today I decided to start incorporating going to the gym with Insanity's HIIT cardio workouts to recompose my body and hopefully let me reach my ideal body goals. My workout schedule for the past month was this:

Diet: Around 1800 calories a day. BMR = 2050 cals.
    Sunday: Ultimate Frisbee (idk if you guys have ever played, but this sport is extremely high intensity with lots of running, sprinting, and jumping involved.)
    Monday: P90X Chest/Back
    Tuesday: Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: P90X Shoulders/Arms
    Friday: Insanity Pure Cardio/Cardio Abs
    Saturday: Biking or rest

The reason I incorporated p90x in my routine was so I could maintain and perhaps even gain some lean muscle instead of lose some of it, which I hear is normal for people who are cutting. My main goal is to get at or under 7% Body Fat whilst adding perhaps 5-10lbs of muscle. I'm at a standstill, a crossroads of whether I should focus on straight cutting, or try to go on a bulk, or if i should do like a Mon/Wed/Fri gym routine along with a Sun/Tues/Thurs cardio routine. That's my plan for now at least, but I was wondering if any of yall had a better idea for me. I'm kind of scared to bulk because I've spent my whole life being fat and spent a LONG time getting to the bf% I am now and don't want to go back up. ALSO any tips on my diet? Is 1800 calories too much or too little to reach my fitness goals?

NOTE: I don't have a gym partner available so I'm gonna be in there without a spotter, so if you have any weightlifting routines that don't require a spotter, that'd be freakin phenomenal!
    Again, thank you SOOO much for reading and chipping in your personal advice. It seriously means a lot to me, seeing as how I have been stressing about all of this for the past year. Thank you guys!
    Don't know your age but you sound young.. so you just need to lift weights. Holler for a spot when you need one. It's the best way to build muscle for a body that never has.. and that translates into instant fat loss.

You don't want to approach anywhere near 7% without having put some good work in on the free weights.

Nice job so far. Keep it up.

alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alacriTEA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Check out the workout forum stickies... AllPro and SS are great routines for beginners.
    Trample the weak...Conquer the strong...Hurdle the dead

Former 400+ Guy

Current Program: Cycle 4 of AllPro's beginner routine

Dec 1st - Mar 1st Transformation Participant

Starting Weight - 393.2 lbs (Dec 1st)
    Current Weight - 351.6 lbs (Feb 24th)
    ----------------------------------
    Total Weight Loss - 41.6 lbs

Ending Goal Weight: 340.0 lbs
    Ending Weight: ???

ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ehanna91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    Remember, no specific strategy or workout program is best for you, choose what's best for you yourself.

Since your BF% is low enough, you don't need that many cardio during your week. Simply having a calorie deficit diet (while keeping around 40% Carbs/40% Protein/20% Fat) and some weightlifting should be more than enough to get your BF% steadily lower while gaining some muscle.

I recommend;

Day 1: Push day (Triceps, Shoulders, Chest) - Make sure on this day, you do compound movements such as Bench Press/Dumbbell Press/Upper Dumbbell Press
    Day 2: Pull day (Biceps, Back)
    Day 3: Legs (Glutes, Calves, Hamstring, Quads) - Make sure on this day, you do compound movements such as Deadlifts/Squats
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Rest (Optional)

Then restart the pattern.

Also, note that you may do cardio in any of those exercise days (except for your rest days).

As for the sets and reps, I do a 3 week cycle (remember, this is your own personal decision, this is just my program). Then after two cycles of 3 weeks, I take a one week break just so I don't overtrain.

Week 1 - Endurance: Most exercises 3 sets of 10-12 reps (same weight)
    Week 2 - Strength: Most exercises 4 sets of 5-6 reps (increasing weight)
    Week 3 - More strength: Most exercises 5 sets of 3 reps (increase it even more)

Then steadily increase the weight for all exercises.

Also, how old are you?

(Feel free to flame me/criticize me, I am also a newbie at this but this program has been giving me all kinds of results thus far)
    Dude...thank you so much for your advice! I'm 21 btw and I will definitely consider everything you said! I personally like to do multiple cardio days because it makes me feel lighter and more athletic, and as for your weight lift routine, it sounds quite promising! I seriously might have to give that a try. Any tips on benching/squats/deadlifts for a guy who works out alone? I don't know if I absolutely NEED a spotter or not. Either way, thanks again man! You're awesome haha

Originally Posted by jeffkastner View Post
    Don't know your age but you sound young.. so you just need to lift weights. Holler for a spot when you need one. It's the best way to build muscle for a body that never has.. and that translates into instant fat loss.

You don't want to approach anywhere near 7% without having put some good work in on the free weights.

Nice job so far. Keep it up.
    Thank you bud! And I am 21 years old. And I agree with what you said about not getting too lean without the muscle, I'll just look plain retarded. Thank you for your reply and I'll see what I can do about getting a spotter!

Originally Posted by alacriTEA View Post
    Check out the workout forum stickies... AllPro and SS are great routines for beginners.
    I literally just created a bodybuilding.com account an hour ago so I'm not exactly sure what forum stickies are but I'll look into it man. Thank you for the tip bro!

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dude...thank you so much for your advice! I'm 21 btw and I will definitely consider everything you said! I personally like to do multiple cardio days because it makes me feel lighter and more athletic, and as for your weight lift routine, it sounds quite promising! I seriously might have to give that a try. Any tips on benching/squats/deadlifts for a guy who works out alone? I don't know if I absolutely NEED a spotter or not. Either way, thanks again man! You're awesome haha
    Best of luck, bro! This is good for our age. And I also understand your pov on cardio!

Obviously, benching is way better with a spotter, but if you are out of luck, I recommend using dumbbells for your chest presses.

Afaik, I never had a spotter for dlifts nor squats, but I would ask someone to watch your form so you don't risk any kind of injuries. For those 2 leg exercises, go low weight just to get used to the movement. Better safe than sorry's one of my life mottos.

Me? Nah I'm not awesome. I took this beginner workout from a friend so I can't take credit. I just like sharing!

Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For a strength program, I would recommend Starting Strength or SL 5x5. Just google the names and check them out.

There's nothing wrong in doing cardio. The reason people on this board always harp about not having to do cardio is, well, because its true. You don't have to. The most important part is diet obviously. Anyways, do cardio but keep it at light/moderate intensity, aka no HIIT etc. How many calories you should consume is hard for us to estimate, but it depends on your goals, activity etc.. So if you are doing a strength program 3 times a week, doing cardio 3 times a week (alternating days, obviously), and eating 1800kcal/day, I would generally say that its going too hard. But everybody is different, and personally I'm aiming for 1600kcal @ 6'4 220lbs, so you might need to go that low.

Anyways, to retain strength just keep protein high, do compound movements and progressive overload for as long as you can. I'd recommend you to cut to about 12% bf, then start bulking. But stay on a somewhat strict diet and slowly increase calories, i.e don't just say "screw it" and stuff yourself, because that is how people get fat again. So when you reach 12% you start increasing calories across a couple of weeks until you start gaining weight, then keep a close eye on your weight. Optimally you should be doing measurements, but you don't have to.

Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    Best of luck, bro! This is good for our age. And I also understand your pov on cardio!

Obviously, benching is way better with a spotter, but if you are out of luck, I recommend using dumbbells for your chest presses.

Afaik, I never had a spotter for dlifts nor squats, but I would ask someone to watch your form so you don't risk any kind of injuries. For those 2 leg exercises, go low weight just to get used to the movement. Better safe than sorry's one of my life mottos.

Me? Nah I'm not awesome. I took this beginner workout from a friend so I can't take credit. I just like sharing!
    Hell yeah man! I'm stoked for getting into weightlifting. And yeah I'll definitely look into deadlifts and squats. I think my gym has a powerrack thingamajig that I could probably learn to use. I just feel dumb walking around examining everything haha but it's whatevs, gotta start somewhere right? Haha. I just wish i could get a good workout partner but I don't know anyone down to stick to a 3-5 day gym routine with me that's dependable =( So for now, I'm just a loner at the gym.

Originally Posted by Horizon92 View Post
    For a strength program, I would recommend Starting Strength or SL 5x5. Just google the names and check them out.

There's nothing wrong in doing cardio. The reason people on this board always harp about not having to do cardio is, well, because its true. You don't have to. The most important part is diet obviously. Anyways, do cardio but keep it at light/moderate intensity, aka no HIIT etc. How many calories you should consume is hard for us to estimate, but it depends on your goals, activity etc.. So if you are doing a strength program 3 times a week, doing cardio 3 times a week (alternating days, obviously), and eating 1800kcal/day, I would generally say that its going too hard. But everybody is different, and personally I'm aiming for 1600kcal @ 6'4 220lbs, so you might need to go that low.

Anyways, to retain strength just keep protein high, do compound movements and progressive overload for as long as you can. I'd recommend you to cut to about 12% bf, then start bulking. But stay on a somewhat strict diet and slowly increase calories, i.e don't just say "screw it" and stuff yourself, because that is how people get fat again. So when you reach 12% you start increasing calories across a couple of weeks until you start gaining weight, then keep a close eye on your weight. Optimally you should be doing measurements, but you don't have to.
    I'm more so going for muscular mass rather than strength. Like I've heard 5x5 is more for power and strength while 3x8-10 is for building mass. One I get leaned out and have some mass, then I would like to focus more on strength. So for the time being I think I should go for 3x8-10 reps. But I'd be interested in hearing your response to this!

Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well here's the thing - Strength = more muscle. The difference is that when you are doing more reps with lower weight, you will achieve muscle hypertrophy, but you will not get strong as fast. Doing strength programs also achieves muscle hypertrophy, at the same time you are adapting your central nervous system to move bigger weights, so that you are stronger. Doing strength programs takes less time, gives you more "real world" strength, and achieves muscle hypertrophy. I swear, my day to day life has gotten easier after starting with heavy lifting. Moving up stairs has gotten way easier even though I'm at the same weight (and I didn't really find it hard before but now I'm flying up the stairs), my posture is better etcetc. I owe this to squats and deadlifts. I've also read that the big compound movements has hormonal effects, i.e it makes your body produce human growth hormone. I can't confirm it though, but a lot of knowledgeable guys have said it.

Another point is that when cutting, you won't be adding mass. So why not get as strong as possible while you're cutting? For the muscles to grow, they need energy. When you are at an energy deficit, your muscles won't get that energy, and therefore you can't actually gain mass. Newbiegains can add some to your frame, but 90%+ of all strength gains made while cutting will be CNS-related.

edit: Also, I'd like to commend you on your remarkable progress. Great job ! Another point I'd like to add is that I believe that gaining muscle mass is about moving bigger and bigger weights over a long period of time while being at a calorie surplus. If you choose 8-10 reps or 3-5, it will still take a long time to build big muscle. The difference is that to move up with progressive overload on 10 reps takes a longer time than with 5 reps, and as a result you will be gaining strength slower. So as I said, why not get as strong as you can? A lot of popular bodybuilding programs revolve around 8-10 reps and drop sets etc to achieve muscle hypertrophy, but I don't believe its necessarily the best route to take. I'll do my strength program until I have somewhat impressive lifts in the big 3, then I will be adding some more iso stuff and varying a bit more, mostly to keep it exciting.

Well here's the thing - Strength = more muscle. The difference is that when you are doing more reps with lower weight, you will achieve muscle hypertrophy, but you will not get strong as fast. Doing strength programs also achieves muscle hypertrophy, at the same time you are adapting your central nervous system to move bigger weights, so that you are stronger. Doing strength programs takes less time, gives you more "real world" strength, and achieves muscle hypertrophy. I swear, my day to day life has gotten easier after starting with heavy lifting. Moving up stairs has gotten way easier even though I'm at the same weight (and I didn't really find it hard before but now I'm flying up the stairs), my posture is better etcetc. I owe this to squats and deadlifts. I've also read that the big compound movements has hormonal effects, i.e it makes your body produce human growth hormone. I can't confirm it though, but a lot of knowledgeable guys have said it.

Another point is that when cutting, you won't be adding mass. So why not get as strong as possible while you're cutting? For the muscles to grow, they need energy. When you are at an energy deficit, your muscles won't get that energy, and therefore you can't actually gain mass. Newbiegains can add some to your frame, but 90%+ of all strength gains made while cutting will be CNS-related.

edit: Also, I'd like to commend you on your remarkable progress. Great job ! Another point I'd like to add is that I believe that gaining muscle mass is about moving bigger and bigger weights over a long period of time while being at a calorie surplus. If you choose 8-10 reps or 3-5, it will still take a long time to build big muscle. The difference is that to move up with progressive overload on 10 reps takes a longer time than with 5 reps, and as a result you will be gaining strength slower. So as I said, why not get as strong as you can? A lot of popular bodybuilding programs revolve around 8-10 reps and drop sets etc to achieve muscle hypertrophy, but I don't believe its necessarily the best route to take. I'll do my strength program until I have somewhat impressive lifts in the big 3, then I will be adding some more iso stuff and varying a bit more, mostly to keep it exciting.
    You made a very good point my friend. I just thought that 8-10 reps meant more muscle mass while 5 reps meant mainly strength. But to be honest, 5x5 does seem more logical. In order for you to be stronger, you have to have the muscle. Lol makes so much sense. The only problem with me doing 5x5s is that I dont have a spotter and thats a lot of weight I'd have to be pushing. Any suggestions on what workouts I could do 5x5s with??

Well you don't need a spotter for any of the 5x5 lifts except bench. If you work out at a gym, you could just ask someone there to spot you. If not, then you can lift inside a power rack with safety pins. If your gym does not have that, then the last resort would be dumbbell presses.

iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Any tips on benching/squats/deadlifts for a guy who works out alone? I don't know if I absolutely NEED a spotter or not. Either way, thanks again man! You're awesome haha
    On these compound lifts, getting your form down is very important to start. No reason to go for broke right out of the gate. To start I would find a weight that you can lift 10x and focus on form, tons and tons of videos on youtube describing proper form for these lifts.

Essentially with benching, you should work on positioning yourself properly, eyes under the bar, getting comfortable on the bench with a slight arch in your back, and doing smooth lifts from your mid pec area (very easy to get into a grove where you're benching too high on your chest).

With squats, I would do warm up set with just the bar, do not sit the bar on your spine but rather bend at a slight degree and let it rest on your upper back right above your shoulder blade area (again videos help a ton on this). You almost want to be pushing the bar into your back muscles. Form on this is important, box squats can help. If you try to overload too fast you'll find your chest giving out and losing form.

Deadlifts are a completely different beast... here's a link to a video series that helped me A LOT to get started on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjuX-GRby8 There are a lot of different variations to it. General tips are, start with the bar about midway between your toes and where your ankle meets (should be able to look down and see your toes). Bend so you reach a proper angle where your upper chest and particularly scapula is in front of the bar so your arms angle back down towards it. Keep your ass up in the air some by bending at the knees slightly. You want to have the bar against your shins with the way you're bending. During the lift, you want to simultaneously roll the bar up your shins with your shoulders and hamstrings and then push into the ground with your glutes, finally using your lower back in the contraction to finish the lift. Definitely give that video series a watch, should prevent injuries and give you a very good starting point for it. Weight wise, find something you can do 10 times for warmups just to get your body use to the motion, and then I wouldn't go over sets of 5 on moderate weight until you back is ready for more serious lifts.

I was watching another video from the guy that does the above video series, and he makes a GREAT point. It takes the central nervous system around 600-800 repetitions to really get technique down on a certain compound movement (essentially building a blue print for how your body should contract to be it's most efficient). If you overload yourself too early and teach your CNS bad form... it takes around 3000-4000 repetitions to retrain your CNS to do the motions differently. So, whenever starting, it's MORE crucial to practice form than it is to try and do so much weight that you get sloppy.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm more so going for muscular mass rather than strength. Like I've heard 5x5 is more for power and strength while 3x8-10 is for building mass. One I get leaned out and have some mass, then I would like to focus more on strength. So for the time being I think I should go for 3x8-10 reps. But I'd be interested in hearing your response to this!
    You actually want to reverse that mate. Ideally, you want to get strong first to be able to apply sufficient force to stimulate growth later. Trying to do it the other way round will be far less efficient. It's also far easier to gain strength than size while cutting.

Well you don't need a spotter for any of the 5x5 lifts except bench. If you work out at a gym, you could just ask someone there to spot you. If not, then you can lift inside a power rack with safety pins. If your gym does not have that, then the last resort would be dumbbell presses.
    Should I be doing squats and deadlifts inside a power rack??

iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Should I be doing squats and deadlifts inside a power rack??
    Yes if it's available to you.

Originally Posted by iviicrociot View Post
    On these compound lifts, getting your form down is very important to start. No reason to go for broke right out of the gate. To start I would find a weight that you can lift 10x and focus on form, tons and tons of videos on youtube describing proper form for these lifts.

Essentially with benching, you should work on positioning yourself properly, eyes under the bar, getting comfortable on the bench with a slight arch in your back, and doing smooth lifts from your mid pec area (very easy to get into a grove where you're benching too high on your chest).

With squats, I would do warm up set with just the bar, do not sit the bar on your spine but rather bend at a slight degree and let it rest on your upper back right above your shoulder blade area (again videos help a ton on this). You almost want to be pushing the bar into your back muscles. Form on this is important, box squats can help. If you try to overload too fast you'll find your chest giving out and losing form.

Deadlifts are a completely different beast... here's a link to a video series that helped me A LOT to get started on. There are a lot of different variations to it. General tips are, start with the bar about midway between your toes and where your ankle meets (should be able to look down and see your toes). Bend so you reach a proper angle where your upper chest and particularly scapula is in front of the bar so your arms angle back down towards it. Keep your ass up in the air some by bending at the knees slightly. You want to have the bar against your shins with the way you're bending. During the lift, you want to simultaneously roll the bar up your shins with your shoulders and hamstrings and then push into the ground with your glutes, finally using your lower back in the contraction to finish the lift. Definitely give that video series a watch, should prevent injuries and give you a very good starting point for it. Weight wise, find something you can do 10 times for warmups just to get your body use to the motion, and then I wouldn't go over sets of 5 on moderate weight until you back is ready for more serious lifts.

I was watching another video from the guy that does the above video series, and he makes a GREAT point. It takes the central nervous system around 600-800 repetitions to really get technique down on a certain compound movement (essentially building a blue print for how your body should contract to be it's most efficient). If you overload yourself too early and teach your CNS bad form... it takes around 3000-4000 repetitions to retrain your CNS to do the motions differently. So, whenever starting, it's MORE crucial to practice form than it is to try and do so much weight that you get sloppy.
    Thanks man! I really really do want to get into squats/deadlifts. Never done em before in my life! I watched the deadlift videos too! They helped me, also, idk if you have, but you should watch his video on doing front squats instead of back squats. He makes some awesome points! Thanks again man!

Originally Posted by iviicrociot View Post
    Yes if it's available to you.
    Alrighty!

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    You actually want to reverse that mate. Ideally, you want to get strong first to be able to apply sufficient force to stimulate growth later. Trying to do it the other way round will be far less efficient. It's also far easier to gain strength than size while cutting.
    Alright man thanks! I'll take your advice and go for 5x5s instead! You do make a good point about easier to gain strength rather than gain size while cutting.

69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try allpros routine, that is what helped this old mans transformation.
    The best part of this is, my kids are learning to live healthier because of me.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 69cam View Post
    Try allpros routine, that is what helped this old mans transformation.
    All pros? Okay will do, sir! Thank you!

alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    don't forget your legs mang i don't see any of them in your post. always keep in mind that losing fat/building muscle takes a whole body approach/no spot reduction

Originally Posted by alejandroPH View Post
    don't forget your legs mang i don't see any of them in your post. always keep in mind that losing fat/building muscle takes a whole body approach/no spot reduction
    Thanks for the advice bro! But I do plan on hitting my legs too, im not like most guys that wanna get buff and only do arms and chest. I want to increase the strength of my whole body as a whole instead of just upper.

My plan so far is to do this
    Sunday - ultimate frisbee
    mon - chest/tricep
    tues - insanity plyo circuit
    wed - legs/shoulders
    thurs - insanity pure cardio
    fri - back/bicep
    sat - rest

Thats my workout regimen as of now but I may have to make some changes, maybe like mondays is chest/tri/shoulder then wed is ALL leg work! Thanks again though! And i would love to know what your workout routine is good sir!

alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10) alejandroPH is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the advice bro! But I do plan on hitting my legs too, im not like most guys that wanna get buff and only do arms and chest. I want to increase the strength of my whole body as a whole instead of just upper.

My plan so far is to do this
    Sunday - ultimate frisbee
    mon - chest/tricep
    tues - insanity plyo circuit
    wed - legs/shoulders
    thurs - insanity pure cardio
    fri - back/bicep
    sat - rest

Thats my workout regimen as of now but I may have to make some changes, maybe like mondays is chest/tri/shoulder then wed is ALL leg work! Thanks again though! And i would love to know what your workout routine is good sir!
    nothing really to add brah the others have given u pretty sound advice already. as for me workout it's nothing special, just weights 4-5/week and 2 HIIT and 2 MISS peppered throughout each week (though i've been told to just lessen the cardio n up the diet which is king)

if i were you i'd add shoulders to monday (but that's just my personal preference, i like hitting the same muscle group [in this case push] in a single day. nothing wrong with yours)

biggest piece of advice from someone like me is need for CONSISTENCY. heck i've been hitting the gym since i was 16 but you see my avatar ? defs don't look like someone who's been working out consistently for 6 years so learn from me, don't stray from your goals ==>> time well spent

gl with your goals brah keep me posted