BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMPT21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Motivation When There Is None.

It is challenging to stay focus and motivated to exercise. I mean, even for a trainer is difficult but we have to practice what we preach and it is part of our job to exercise and stay fit, and sometimes it doesn’t come easy. With family, studies and a split shift, motivation is always lacking on my side but I always pull through. For me, music or motivational videos do the trick when I need to get the work done. Sometimes quotes (which I keep on my clipboard) or bible verses work well, and some days just a plain cup of coffee does the trick.
    What about you? What is your way? How do you motivate yourself?

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Love what you do.

If you are not motivated, there may be a reason. Maybe you are not making the progress for yourself that you hoped, or you haven't found your niche. Sometimes other aspects of our life take over, or we have a difficult time finding the time.

So the first thing I do, is ask myself WHY my motivation has left in the first place.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's a habit, and I get results which I like.

I don't need motivation to check my email when I arrive at work or brush my teeth before I go to bed, because these are habits, I just do them.

I don't need motivation to go to work, since I get paid for it, and I need and want money for lots of other things. The results of work drive me to work, I don't need motivation for it, I just do it.

Doing workouts is not a problem, because it's a habit and gets me results. The only problem is making every workout effective. Fact is though, what's most important long-term is that you simply show up and do something.

johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnshade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree that primarily it's a habit. This is the main thing for sure. When you're regular about training and take a long break, it's always hard to get back into it.

I would also add that having a few external goals is really useful. ie a certain load for a lift or a time on the mile etc. I find for myself that it's a lot more motivating to say "I'm training to clean and jerk 250lbs by July" than saying, "I'm training to maintain my bodyfat% for July"....

wtmtss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A lot of times all it takes is for me to sit down and think about what I'm doing with myself to stay motivated. Give myself a pep talk. When I get discouraged a remind myself why I workout. I personally workout because it makes me feel good and I like looking good as well. if that's your motivation, then think about it. Videos helps quite a bit too.
    Check out my photography and videos website!
    http://dayinthelifepc.com/

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by johnshade View Post
    I agree that primarily it's a habit. This is the main thing for sure. When you're regular about training and take a long break, it's always hard to get back into it.

I would also add that having a few external goals is really useful. ie a certain load for a lift or a time on the mile etc. I find for myself that it's a lot more motivating to say "I'm training to clean and jerk 250lbs by July" than saying, "I'm training to maintain my bodyfat% for July"....
    Building on this, I make a distinction between general workouts for general health, and training towards a particular and at least somewhat ambitious goal. General workouts for general health don't take much focus or brains, the novice effect will be plenty, you can do all sorts of silly sht and have good general health. Training's another matter.

Obviously, physical training can change how you look, feel (health) and perform. What we find is that those who only care about looks tend not to stick with it, they're the ones desperately looking for motivation. Those who're training for health or performance, they tend to stick to it. Rehabbing an injury or condition, going for that lift - yep, those will help a lot.

Me, I'm going to Seattle in February for a Starting Strength Seminar. Now I'm training rather than just working out.