Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deathdealer28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help. Work outs starting to suffer

Hey folks

I'm currently at day 9 of keto and today was my first day back to the gym after the weekend. I had no energy and no strength. I'm now having to lift half the weight I was lifting because I just don't have it in me. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Still eating my meals and still my calorie deficit. My before and after pics one week in shows a great difference and have dropped 3% body fat but surely it can't b affecting my work outs like this. Piss is still showing ketones and bg level is 4.9 so I guess I'm doing everything right.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

joewiggs36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joewiggs36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe take a prework mix. I do C4. I guess as long as the carbs are not in it.. its safe. Maybe have a bigger mea about an hour before working out. just throwing some ideas out there.

Keepin' It Kingdom (KIK) jcpryor3's Avatar
    jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Deathdealer28 View Post
    Hey folks

I'm currently at day 9 of keto and today was my first day back to the gym after the weekend. I had no energy and no strength. I'm now having to lift half the weight I was lifting because I just don't have it in me. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Still eating my meals and still my calorie deficit. My before and after pics one week in shows a great difference and have dropped 3% body fat but surely it can't b affecting my work outs like this. Piss is still showing ketones and bg level is 4.9 so I guess I'm doing everything right.

Any help appreciated

Cheers
    It's normal. Once your body becomes fat adapted (normally takes 2 weeks minimum), your body should be used to the glycogen depletion and it should be using ketones for energy. I experienced the same thing, except I had to decrease weight by more than half, once I was in the middle if my workout.

Just stick it out bro! You've gotten great results so far. Don't let this induction period trip you out.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Starting Stats: 206lbs@19%, LBM@193.4lbs <---------- LBM inaccurate
    Current Stats: 177.8lbs@11.5%, LBM@157.7lbs

God is first, I am second
    Set goals, take action, then achieve
    Keto Lifestyle

2012 BB.com Transformation Challenge Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150883123

ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ph1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jcpryor3 View Post
    It's normal. Once your body becomes fat adapted (normally takes 2 weeks minimum), your body should be used to the glycogen depletion and it should be using ketones for energy. I experienced the same thing, except I had to decrease weight by more than half, once I was in the middle if my workout.

Just stick it out bro! You've gotten great results so far. Don't let this induction period trip you out.
    This! The two week fat adaptation period was brutal for me too - no energy, lack of concentration, not sleeping enough - but stick with it and you'll be good.

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ph1n View Post
    This! The two week fat adaptation period was brutal for me too - no energy, lack of concentration, not sleeping enough - but stick with it and you'll be good.
    I would recommend taking 2 tbs coconut oil a day and seeing if that might help. Really gives me some energy on my low carb stretches.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Cheers for the advice n help guys. I am intending to stick it out but u have to admit its annoying when u go from 40kg dumbbells down to 20kg n you can barely even lift those lol I love this diet though mainly cuz I can stick to it with ease n also I'm noticing results very very quickly keto rocks lol

Oh while I remember am I best sticking to the no carb for 3 weeks n then carb load? Or am I ok to do it this weekend?

Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Oh while I remember am I best sticking to the no carb for 3 weeks n then carb load? Or am I ok to do it this weekend?
    If this is your first time through, I would wait it out.
    www.squidoo.com/keto-diet

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs
    90 day XAT-7 and Cardio Igniter forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146779723
    TEST-PEAK http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149177173
    2013 BB.com challenge log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150876933

Sugar Alcohols...Explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151110953

Metabolic advantage of keto diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153834101

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Grifts View Post
    If this is your first time through, I would wait it out.
    X2, the better your body adapts to being fat fuelled, the more it uses fat as fuel, the leaner you become. Just give it some time.

It helps me to think more about just following the diet on that day(everyday) instead of thinking about dietary behavior over a stretch of time.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

So seems everybody is recommending no carb ups and just persevere for awhile?

Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So seems everybody is recommending no carb ups and just persevere for awhile?
    For now. You need to get through the fat adaptation/ketone metabolism phase. Once you get through that the brain fog and tiredness will clear. Then you need to do carb ups, IF you lift, possibly aerobic exercise as well if in sufficient intensity (not LISS).

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs
    90 day XAT-7 and Cardio Igniter forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146779723
    2013 BB.com challenge log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150876933

Sugar Alcohols...Explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151110953

Metabolic advantage of keto diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153834101

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    but surely it can't b affecting my work outs like this. .
    Oh yeah it can

Hang in there, it gets way better. Give it a bit more time before going tkd or ckd with it. Once you do restore glycogen for a workout, the lifts will go right back up to normal.

In the meantime, as someone else noted, you might try some Coconut Oil (make sure it's cold-pressed, extra-virgin). Besides health benefits, the medium chain triglycerides store in the liver to be used for energy.
    Part of my transformation here - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149287533

Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post

In the meantime, as someone else noted, you might try some Coconut Oil (make sure it's cold-pressed, extra-virgin). Besides health benefits, the medium chain triglycerides store in the liver to be used for energy.
    those are some wise words!!! :P
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

To be honest since I woke up today I've been great. No tiredness or brain fog. So not sure if I have adapted cuz I've read tht some people can adapt quicker than others. I feel really good and full of energy. Probably b a different matter when I go to gym tomorrow but ill see how I get on. As for the coconut oil I was blending it into my protein shakes with my creatine. Please tell me your not suggesting eating it? It looks and feels like candle wax lol if I do eat it how long before a work out and how much? Two teaspoons?

To be honest since I woke up today I've been great. No tiredness or brain fog. So not sure if I have adapted cuz I've read tht some people can adapt quicker than others. I feel really good and full of energy. Probably b a different matter when I go to gym tomorrow but ill see how I get on. As for the coconut oil I was blending it into my protein shakes with my creatine. Please tell me your not suggesting eating it? It looks and feels like candle wax lol if I do eat it how long before a work out and how much? Two teaspoons?
    I have eaten it raw, it's okay. I like to melt it into coffe with a bit of Splenda!!!! Yumm

1 tbs 30m preWO
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As for the coconut oil I was blending it into my protein shakes with my creatine. Please tell me your not suggesting eating it? It looks and feels like candle wax lol if I do eat it how long before a work out and how much? Two teaspoons?
    Lol, some people do just eat it, I have, it's not bad. I put it in my coffee with chocolate protein. Great stuff.
    Part of my transformation here - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149287533

templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) templarpsi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey folks

Any help appreciated

Cheers
    this happened to me when i was on keto also, but definately not 9 days in.

Sweet. Ill try it in some coffee. I still feel good so going to attempt the carb up this weekend against all your advice sorry. Have a birthday party night so going to treat myself to a couple of beers. When doing the carb up what can I expect? To feel like crap or actually feel good? Expecting bloat and a heavy belly feeling. Or will I be ok as long as I keep it to what the calculator worked it out as I should keep it to?

Really appreciating the advice guys. You are all legends

bloat, insulin crashes, insomnia, lethargia... hence why I wanna try just doing carb meals.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Great sounds like I have a lot to look forward to. I'm torn though. I really think I have fat adapted. Was bak at the gym today and my strength and stamina is back with a bang. Even upped my weights. When I got home I'm still full of energy and felt like I could have done a lot more. So tempted to just give the carb load a miss altogether if I feel like this without them. Opinions?

Great sounds like I have a lot to look forward to. I'm torn though. I really think I have fat adapted. Was bak at the gym today and my strength and stamina is back with a bang. Even upped my weights. When I got home I'm still full of energy and felt like I could have done a lot more. So tempted to just give the carb load a miss altogether if I feel like this without them. Opinions?
    Carb ups are for once you have depleted your glycogen in your muscles/liver, among other things.

If you are doing well in the gym, your glycogen isn't depleted.

It sounds like you are going to do it anyway. I made the opposite mistake and waited 6 weeks before doing a carb up, once. There is an optimal medium.

EDIT: My 1000th post.

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs

hey man, ultimately the "keto" diet is a guideline, if you wanna carb up the first week go for it, track it, and see what happens. I would recomend 2 but that was what I needed(now thinking about going three actually).

you could also try just doing a carb meal and see how that goes. fi it kicks you out of ketosis and on your re-entry you re-experience the "keto flu" you might need longer.

personally, keto is amazing for my mental state!!! I would like to get to a point of just eating a twix bar or something twice a week and seeing if My stats look good. always tailor a diet to what works for you and shows the results you want broski.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

EDIT: My 1000th post.
    woot woot!! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grifts again. remind me I owe you one!!!
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Sorry u said the carb up is for when I have depleted my glycogen stores? Surely that only happens if your doing a depletion work out though? That your training to exhaustion. That's my understanding of it so I'm probably wrong lol

Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    coffee with 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream on the way to the gym = energy boost (at least for me)

coconut oil helps as well

Sorry u said the carb up is for when I have depleted my glycogen stores? Surely that only happens if your doing a depletion work out though? That your training to exhaustion. That's my understanding of it so I'm probably wrong lol
    Dredging the memory here, so bear with me...

IIRC people eating keto style gravitate to a slightly lower base glycogen levels compared to a diet involving carbohydrates. If you lift weights, this level will go lower without carbing up. This lower cencentration of glycogen will LOWER performance at the gym. This is why people say keto sucks for lifting.

And they are right - a strict keto diet is sucky for lifting. That's why lifters do CKD or TKD variants.

Now, you are saying your performance has improved. That tells me that your glycogen levels are not depleted. There is no physiological benefit for you to carb up, currently.

When you do carb up, you CAN(and possibly should, but it is more work) do a depletion workout. Not to very very low levels of glycogen, but definitely deplete yourself somewhat. Then over 12, 24, or 36 hours carb up to get glycogen supercompensation, where the concentrations of glycogen in your muscles should actually be higher than someone with a normal diet.

You can't just do a 4 hour carb up, your muscles can only absorb so much glycogen per unit of time.

Originally Posted by Cowmustard View Post
    woot woot!! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grifts again. remind me I owe you one!!!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Grifts; 11-28-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs

Dredging the memory here, so bear with me...

IIRC people eating keto style gravitate to a slightly lower base glycogen levels compared to a diet involving carbohydrates. If you lift weights, this level will go lower without carbing up. This lower cencentration of glycogen will LOWER performance at the gym. This is why people say keto sucks for lifting.

And they are right - a strict keto diet is sucky for lifting. That's why lifters do CKD or TKD variants.

Now, you are saying your performance has improved. That tells me that your glycogen levels are not depleted. There is no physiological benefit for you to carb up, currently.

When you do carb up, you CAN(and possibly should, but it is more work) do a depletion workout. Not to very very low levels of glycogen, but definitely deplete yourself somewhat. Then over 12, 24, or 36 hours carb up to get glycogen supercompensation, where the concentrations of glycogen in your muscles should actually be higher than someone with a normal diet.

You can't just do a 4 hour carb up, your muscles can only absorb so much glycogen per unit of time.

Thanks!
    So because I'm able to train hard u think I haven't got a glycogen depletion? I'm not to sure of the hole medical side of it but I just tested my blood glucose level and its at 3.2. Does that not mean that I am?

So because I'm able to train hard u think I haven't got a glycogen depletion? I'm not to sure of the hole medical side of it but I just tested my blood glucose level and its at 3.2. Does that not mean that I am?
    I'm curious too now, never got to play with blood glucose levels.....
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

And plenty of ketones in my p*ss. So blood and piss showing I'm in Ketosis but still feeling full of energy and able to blast away at the cardio and in the gym on the weights. Would it b anything to with my cocktail before I went to the gym yesterday? Black coffee with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, omega 3 fish oil tablet, cod liver oil tablet, glutamine tablet, ala tablet and one l carnitine tablet.

I'm American, so a glucose of 3.2 would be dead. But over here we think in mg/dL. What is your value?

Regardless, I have checked mine at times, and I have dipped into 70s, but usually 80s. below 70 is considered treatable usually.

But glycogen is in your muscles. You can't check it from a finger stick.

Blood glucose is circulating sugar in your bloodstream. Glycogen is stored sugar in your muscles. Muscles can pull glucose from the bloodstream, but cannot give up glycogen. Once it is in the muscle, its only used by the muscle.
    Last edited by Grifts; 11-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs