PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

JUCO -> D1 for punter with no playing experience?

I've been thinking this over for a while, but I want to give it a shot. I'm Irish, and have played soccer and rugby my whole life, so I'm used to kicking a ball. I got a football a few years ago, and at first, I was just playing around with it, but I've gotten pretty good.

At my last session, I averaged 42 yards (this is taking the line of scrimmage into account), and 62 yards per kickoff. I can punt conventional or rugby style.

I'm at a stage in my life where I feel I need to give this a go, and even if nothing comes of it, I will learn a lot. I figure the best path is to go to a junior / community college for a year, since I have no game experience or footage, and try and make an impression there. My plan would be to get some practice footage and send it to some coaches, and also try and attend some camps for coaching and more exposure. I also don't have any SATs, so going to a JUCO would allow me to become eligible.

I'm looking for any thought or tips on this idea, and I also have a few questions.

- How do I find a good program? I'm looking for somewhere that has a good record of sending players to the college level.
    - How soon to I need to have something in place - what sort of deadline should I set myself?
    - I'm 23 now - will this matter? I don't think it will be an issues, especially for a punter. I also have a college degree, but I didn't play any sport at college level - will it impact eligibility?
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110608191

"But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle ? victorious" - Vince Lombardi

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PumpinPaddy View Post
    I've been thinking this over for a while, but I want to give it a shot. I'm Irish, and have played soccer and rugby my whole life, so I'm used to kicking a ball. I got a football a few years ago, and at first, I was just playing around with it, but I've gotten pretty good.

At my last session, I averaged 42 yards (this is taking the line of scrimmage into account), and 62 yards per kickoff. I can punt conventional or rugby style.

I'm at a stage in my life where I feel I need to give this a go, and even if nothing comes of it, I will learn a lot. I figure the best path is to go to a junior / community college for a year, since I have no game experience or footage, and try and make an impression there. My plan would be to get some practice footage and send it to some coaches, and also try and attend some camps for coaching and more exposure. I also don't have any SATs, so going to a JUCO would allow me to become eligible.

I'm looking for any thought or tips on this idea, and I also have a few questions.

- How do I find a good program? I'm looking for somewhere that has a good record of sending players to the college level.
    - How soon to I need to have something in place - what sort of deadline should I set myself?
    - I'm 23 now - will this matter? I don't think it will be an issues, especially for a punter. I also have a college degree, but I didn't play any sport at college level - will it impact eligibility?
    Going the JC route is a great way. And playing experience isn't a must. But unfortunately, like you said, you have a college degree. Because of that, all of your eligibility is up, even at the jc level. Once you enroll full time as a college student, your eligibility clock starts, doesn't stops, and runs out in 5 years.

are you in the united states right now?

PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    Going the JC route is a great way. And playing experience isn't a must. But unfortunately, like you said, you have a college degree. Because of that, all of your eligibility is up, even at the jc level. Once you enroll full time as a college student, your eligibility clock starts, doesn't stops, and runs out in 5 years.

are you in the united states right now?

Thanks for the reply - that sucks to hear. Somehow, I thought eligibility wouldn't be affected because I never played collegiate sports.

I completed my degree in 3 years, which would mean I still have 2 years left, but it doesn't seem like long enough

No, I'm not in the US now, was considering travelling over in early 2013

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PumpinPaddy View Post
    Thanks for the reply - that sucks to hear. Somehow, I thought eligibility wouldn't be affected because I never played collegiate sports.

I completed my degree in 3 years, which would mean I still have 2 years left, but it doesn't seem like long enough

No, I'm not in the US now, was considering travelling over in early 2013
    one of the biggest misconceptions is that athletes think that their eligibility clock won't start as long as they don't play a sport. But, that is wrong. It start the second you enroll as a full time student, regardless if you played any sports or not.

And even though you graduated in 3 years, you clock is most likely up since it doesn't stop, even if you aren't enrolled anymore. So, even after your graduated, your clock is still ticking until those years are up.

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You may want to look into the NAIA, i do not think they use the same clock system as the NCAA.

Originally Posted by KGD54 View Post
    You may want to look into the NAIA, i do not think they use the same clock system as the NCAA.
    true, their eligibility rules are much different than NCAA. But, what screws the OP is that he is already a college graduate. He is for sure ineligible for ncaa. Idk if naia allows graduate students to play. But then that would mean he would have to apply for graduate school. And as an international, he will be paying a crap load of money.

crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10) crowaan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    true, their eligibility rules are much different than NCAA. But, what screws the OP is that he is already a college graduate. He is for sure ineligible for ncaa. Idk if naia allows graduate students to play. But then that would mean he would have to apply for graduate school. And as an international, he will be paying a crap load of money.
    He doesn't necessarily have to go to grad school, he could get a second degree if that is what he wanted to do.

Originally Posted by crowaan View Post
    He doesn't necessarily have to go to grad school, he could get a second degree if that is what he wanted to do.
    he can, but he won't be eligible for ncaa and naia athletics since he already has a degree. His eligibility clock starts right when he enrolls as a first time student, regardless if he played sports or not. So, if eligibility ran out with his first degree. Going back for another bachelors isn't going to restart your clock.

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm actually graduating this year and since i redshirted my freshman year i may try to play at another NAIA school for grad school. I'm looking into the rules this week actually so i will know more.
    Some NAIA schools give international schlorships which could really help him, just needs to find the right school.

Originally Posted by KGD54 View Post
    I'm actually graduating this year and since i redshirted my freshman year i may try to play at another NAIA school for grad school. I'm looking into the rules this week actually so i will know more.
    Some NAIA schools give international schlorships which could really help him, just needs to find the right school.
    your situation is a little different.

there are dozens of ncaa athletes who graduate early and still have eligibility left. They then can enroll in grad school and keep playing those years out, or they can transfer to a different grad school without having to sit out, and use up those remaining years.

The OP's situation is much different. He said he graduated in 3 years, and isn't planning on coming to the states til next year. So that equals 5 years. Like I said, your clock doesn't stop once your enroll as a full time student, regardless is there is a year or two where you weren't actually in school.

I know NAIA is different, but it still has the same structure. But I am interested in seeing what you find out this week about naia eligibility rules. Hopefully the OP can get a couple years in NAIA through some loop hole since he is international.

Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The rules could be different because he is an international from a country without American football. You should e-mail the compliance department at a school you would be interested in attending.

Originally Posted by Pakman52 View Post
    The rules could be different because he is an international from a country without American football. You should e-mail the compliance department at a school you would be interested in attending.
    True. Regardless what anyone says on here, the OP should get in contact the ncaa, naia and the schools he is interested in so that he can get a real definitive answer.