Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    No serious bodybuilder in his right mind would leave out overhead pressing.

Except maybe for djauto
    Yep.

Although, as a disclaimer, I should note that overhead presses were part of my routine for years. I stopped performing them (originally temporarily) due to a sternoclavicular injury, and realized that through increasing isolation volume, I could progress equally. I also perform 30+ sets of horizontal pushes per week. Trial and error!
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have issues with my left shoulder...but still do some light BB presses. I actually find DB presses to be more difficult (and painful) I've dealt with this long enough to know when to stop pushing...
    DVC

Quigley...

Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nattydread is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP I do understand what you are saying and you have a point there, but I'm not about to give up my dumbbell shoulder pressing for anybody. It is probably my favourite exercise thus far (it never was before) since I've seen the most gains from it lately. I stalled in the dumbbell shoulder press for months until around two months ago. Now it has jumped from 32.5 Kg for about 8 reps to 38 Kg for 6 reps. My shoulders have got noticeably bigger too, especially in shirts. I have not yet had any shoulder problems and I reckon that warming up the rotator cuffs before the lift help out a lot as well.
    Bear mode engaged crew

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nattydread View Post
    ...Now it has jumped from 32.5 Kg for about 8 reps to 38 Kg for 6 reps. My shoulders have got noticeably bigger too, especially in shirts. I have not yet had any shoulder problems and I reckon that warming up the rotator cuffs before the lift help out a lot as well.
    Good for you. I think everyone should do a vertical pushing movement. Without it, your workout is incomplete (in my opinion).

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I will say that bench press hits front delts more than overhead press hits chest. So, if I had to choose just one, bench press would be the winner. Though, it would be best to include some incline work in that bench press. It may be optimal to do both, but if someone has a shoulder injury or something, I don't think they'd be missing that much to just do flat bench, incline bench, and upright rows.

Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I personally do not do any excercises for my front delts. They are already huge just from doing presses. I just focus on the side and rear delts. In my opinion there is no need to be isolating the front delts. Especially with something like front raises.

DB presses on the other hand are more of a compound movement. I have shoulder issues though so I can't go too heavy.
    Last edited by Benjo87; 11-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Except maybe for djauto
    That's just not true.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This.

/thread
    Who was this love of yours?

CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000)
    upright rows will demolish your rotator cuff, that movement is from the devil lol
    I lift therefore I Misc

*cant be arsed to have a nice sig since mods delete it every 2 seconds for no reason crew*

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CurltonBench View Post
    upright rows will demolish your rotator cuff, that movement is from the devil lol
    When people talk about doing upright rows for the deltoids, they are referring to wide grip upright rows. Those are very safe.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What is enough stimulation though really? I'll use an example seen all the time on this website: You don't need to do direct arm work as the compound lifts you would be doing anyways like pullups bench press rows and overhead pressing provide "enough" stimulation to the bis and tris.

This is often met with criticism, calling powerlifters fat and a general defensive/offended tone by the physique builders.

How is this situation any different? I'm sure the actual answer lies somewhere in the middle where group A of lifters never have to ohp to see significant improvements while group B might not see any improvements without ohp in thier routine.

Same goes for abs calves and forearms really. You have people on both sides saying one way is "enough" and people on both sides will look good and be strong. Which is the right answer? Dealers choice per usual I'd say.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    What is enough stimulation though really? I'll use an example seen all the time on this website: You don't need to do direct arm work as the compound lifts you would be doing anyways like pullups bench press rows and overhead pressing provide "enough" stimulation to the bis and tris.

This is often met with criticism, calling powerlifters fat and a general defensive/offended tone by the physique builders.

How is this situation any different? I'm sure the actual answer lies somewhere in the middle where group A of lifters never have to ohp to see significant improvements while group B might not see any improvements without ohp in thier routine.

Same goes for abs calves and forearms really. You have people on both sides saying one way is "enough" and people on both sides will look good and be strong. Which is the right answer? Dealers choice per usual I'd say.
    Psssssshhhhhft! Fcuk your logic!

I rarely see the advice "do this exercise" given with the idea that it should be done all the time and at the expense of other exercises. So when someone says "you should squat" I agree with that advice. How often, what variation (front, goblet, back with low bar or high, blah blah), reps/sets... that is all on the lifter and what fits their goals and ability to recover. I would be far less comfortable endorsing some specific prescription for the squat. I'm even less comfortable telling someone to NEVER do something.

This issue strikes me the same way. I'm happy enough to admit that people may not want/need to OHP 3x week, and that this tactic may not be best for shoulder hypertrophy. But the idea that you don't need it? That seems odd to me. I hate talking in terms of what you need, because this somehow whittles down every workout to 2-3 exercises that hit every muscle in the body and you don't NEED more than that. Well, I think that is an awfully dumb argument for lots of reasons. What you need comes directly from your goals, and what you need will change over time. Beyond that I think it comes down to how much sense does it make to start taking options away? Very little.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have severe Shoulder DOMS from today's full body training session. These were all the pressing/shoulder movements I performed;and I should also add I have very good shoulders especially for only <2 years of training(not bragging whatsoever,being realistic).

Incline Bench - 1 set
    Incline Dumbbell Bench - 1 set
    Flat Flye - 1 set(meh, some front delt involvement, just adding it in here anyways)

Very Close Grip Bench - 1 set

Upright Row - 1 set
    Side Lateral Raise - 1 set
    Face Pull - 1 set (meh, some front delt involvement, just adding it in here anyways)

I have tried several times to add ONE shoulder press in my full body training session, and they are never recovered 2 days later when I hit it again; also I start getting shoulder pain/the feel of inflammation. Unless I got rid of one bench movement, I don't see how I could/why I should put them in the training routine. My shoulders are insanely dominant,and I don't even train the front deltoid directly .

I should mention, that even Arnold is his "Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" lists INCLINE BARBELL BENCH as a MAIN SHOULDER EXERCISE

Is he not a serious bodybuilder? Yes - he is a bodybuilder that did both. He also trained Shoulders and Chest on separate days; and still wrote that Incline Barbell/Dumbbell is a SHOULDER exercise(and they were also included in the chest section).

I suppose people also are going to want to argue that John Meadows isn't a serious bodybuilder?

I am not arguing whatsoever that people shouldn't OHP. The question in the original post had to do with performing Full Body with a high frequency of 3-4 times a week where you are already training every single muscle in every session; and have lots of pressing/etc. already in the program. This is drastically different than somebody who does the "bro-split" once a week training such as :

Mon - Chest, Tue- Legs, Wed- Back, Thu- Shoulders, Fri- Off, Sat- Arms, Sun- Off .... etc.

Obviously if you have a shoulder only day, or another variation of training as such(even 2x a week frequency), then it only makes sense to use straight Vertical Press as the first/main Deltoid movement; although the difference in how much better it would be versus High Incline Barbell is still very questionable. As it stands, most bodybuilders you see already turn their vertical press INTO a HIGH-INCLINE BENCH. I rarely, if EVER see anybody actually doing them strict, unless it's BEHIND-THE-NECK.

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DerekEt View Post
    ...I have tried several times to add ONE shoulder press in my full body training session, and they are never recovered 2 days later when I hit it again; also I start getting shoulder pain/the feel of inflammation. Unless I got rid of one bench movement, I don't see how I could/why I should put them in the training routine. My shoulders are insanely dominant,and I don't even train the front deltoid directly .
    Exactly - you do what works for you and let others do the same.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DerekEt View Post
    I have severe Shoulder DOMS from today's full body training session. These were all the pressing/shoulder movements I performed;and I should also add I have very good shoulders especially for only <2 years of training(not bragging whatsoever,being realistic)

Unless I got rid of one bench movement, I don't see how I could/why I should put them in the training routine. My shoulders are insanely dominant,and I don't even train the front deltoid directly .
    I hear you, and like I said if you are doing those exercise choices many people will likely get nowhere with OHP as you would likely never recover enough to.

But since your shoulders are extremely dominant, you may not need that if your shoulders are growing (if that's your goal) and you're satisfied with that.

My triceps are extremely dominant and I view performing stuff like CGBP as basically a waste of time for me in conjuction with the rest of my exercise choices, but if you feel your triceps benefit from that than go for it. My chest grows relatively easy and some people myself included may view performing Incline Bench (assuming BB, Smith or machine since you did not specify) on top of Incline DB as redundant, but if you've pick that than I'd assume you picked it for a reason in that it's beneficial to you. Nothing wrong with that at all. All of these things fall under what works for you as an individual.

Bottom line is if you are going to hit your upper body with that amount of frequency then somethings gotta give, and you've chosen to make OHP the lower priority for you. Nothing wrong with that either, but other people who may discover that they get better results from doing things differently or even a lower frequency for different body parts may view their training implementation differently overall.

I can't argue with you about what you feel works for you. That full body every session stuff doesn't work for me as good as my own body part frequency learned over time and observation. I could do full body everytime, but then I'd be training just to be training and there would be no benefit in that other than "feeling" good in the gym but getting less out of it.

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Touche brother!

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I only do wide grip upright rows from time to time, otherwise I don't do them. Just recently did them with DBs and my rotator cuff felt much better than with the barbell, so I may start using these more often.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    That's all nitpicking. Who said what, who did what, or didn't do, who is a "serious" bodybuilder.
    For the absolute majority, OHP can not only be of no harm, but is incredibly helpful. It is a basic movement from heaven for shoulder development. End of story.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicksixx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I rarely do any form of anterior deltoid movement, as it is extremely overdeveloped as it is. The only direct training I do for them is purely strength-based (ie 4-6 reps standing barbell press)

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    well in my opinion the shoulder press was made up for just that, to isolate the shoulder only. i understand that while doing chest you may activate some shoulder muscles into it, but it shouldn't be where your delts are sore the next day in my opinion. if thats the case, you might wanna look closely at your form. the day after i do chest, all my soreness is in my chest region, not my shoulders whatsoever. so i would recommend you lower the weight and focus all the pressing movements on your chest cause you might be going to heavy and activating the shoulder.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yesterday I got sore delts when i did Biceps curls. Should I consider stop doing OHP?
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Yesterday I got sore delts when i did Biceps curls. Should I consider stop doing OHP?
    Dude, bicept curls work the anterior delts, the glutes as well as the calves. You don't need other movements to hit those parts.