Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Biceps-cant get them to stick out..help!

Im having trouble getting my biceps to really stick out unless im in the gym training them or just flexing them. I have done almost everything and tried all the " get bigger arms" workouts and such but just cant seem to get them to really stand out when im just standing normal with no pump..everything else on my body tends to grow and gain strength pretty well and even stand out if i dont have a pump going on.If anyone can give me some tips id greatly appreicate it. also a side note ive been training consitenly for 4 years and have noticed size difference in my arms but mostly due to my triceps getting bigger. the biceps have stayed some what the same as a couple years ago.

Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have you tried any type of forced negatives? Sometimes the biceps can be stubborn f***ers and don't want to grow. Punish them!
    7 foot tall crew checking in

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Follow this training plan for 3 weeks. That's all I ask of you, 3 weeks. You may thank me.

#1. Barbell Curl 1 working set 5-8 reps maximum
    #2. Incline Dumbbell Curl 1 working set 8-10 reps maximum
    #3. Preacher Curl 1 working set 10-12 reps maximum
    Optional burnout : 21's for one set.

That's it, 3-4 working sets in total.

Perform this Monday,Wednesday,and Friday ( or any 3 non consecutive days ).

Report back in 3 weeks

AlabamaPancake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure you're doing Chin ups. It absolutely shreds mine after I'm done. And don't worry, triceps are where it's at

charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The barbell curl, incline curl and preacher curl workout was what I was going to recommend.. barbell curls work on mass and the other two really work on that peak. Do the preacher curls with dumbbells!
    Gym PR's

Squat - 325lbs

Bench - 225lbs paused

Deadlift - 405lbs x 3

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Ma3trev View Post
    Im having trouble getting my biceps to really stick out unless im in the gym training them or just flexing them. I have done almost everything and tried all the " get bigger arms" workouts and such but just cant seem to get them to really stand out when im just standing normal with no pump..everything else on my body tends to grow and gain strength pretty well and even stand out if i dont have a pump going on.If anyone can give me some tips id greatly appreicate it. also a side note ive been training consitenly for 4 years and have noticed size difference in my arms but mostly due to my triceps getting bigger. the biceps have stayed some what the same as a couple years ago.
    What are you currently doing for biceps, and where/how often in your routine are you training them?

What are you doing for back exercises?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ma3trev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    What are you currently doing for biceps, and where/how often in your routine are you training them?

What are you doing for back exercises?
    i just started muscle pharms "get swole" program and on this week its got arnolds cheat curls,incline curls,and machine preacher curls..those are in supersets..and its only once a week. but prior to this i was switching my routines up every few weeks but basically doing all the basics..barbell curls, standing alternating curls, incline, hammers..etc but in different ways that involed drops or super sets..and diffrent reps and sets etc.

Originally Posted by Roidmonster55 View Post
    Have you tried any type of forced negatives? Sometimes the biceps can be stubborn f***ers and don't want to grow. Punish them!
    actually i havent done a whole lot of negatives with my biceps..i have done drops and super sets..ill give some negatives a go. thanks!

Originally Posted by DerekEt View Post
    Follow this training plan for 3 weeks. That's all I ask of you, 3 weeks. You may thank me.

Report back in 3 weeks
    do you do this with rest in between or is it like a giant set and also are you saying do this on other days that im working different body parts or what?

Originally Posted by AlabamaPancake View Post
    Make sure you're doing Chin ups. It absolutely shreds mine after I'm done. And don't worry, triceps are where it's at
    i do alot of pullups and was doing a decent amount of chin up but i guess i could always go for more of em. thanks.

DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DerekEt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    do you do this with rest in between or is it like a giant set and also are you saying do this on other days that im working different body parts or what?
    Rest 1 minute in between each exercise. It's not a giant set, it's simply 3-4 exercises performed regularly, one working set.

I am saying to perform this 3 days a week, on days that will not interfere with your back.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ... but prior to this i was switching my routines up every few weeks but basically doing all the basics..barbell curls, standing alternating curls, incline, hammers..etc but in different ways that involed drops or super sets..and diffrent reps and sets etc.
    ^^^^ This is why you're not making any progress; stop constantly changing everything. If you continually jump from one thing to the next, you have no ability to judge your week-to-week progress.

And supersets, drop sets, and all that other stuff only serves to limit how much rest time your muscles get between sets, which then limits how much weight you're able to handle on the subsequent set.

You need to find a biceps routine comprised of plain old straight sets, and then go to work on it for 4-5 months, working to constantly add a rep here, and a few pounds to the bar there.

Grinding out one tough rep after another in a structured, basic routine is what builds mass, not jumping from one 'flavor of the week' routine to the next.

Here's a good example:

Ironwill2008 Basic Biceps routine
    ---------------------------------------

A very basic biceps routine that will work all aspects of your bis would be:

Barbell Curls................3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Hammer Curls..............3x10-12

Incline Dumbbell Curls...3x10-12

Use a weight that will allow you to get 10 reps across all three sets with good form. Work to progress that weight up to 12-reps-across. When you can do so, add enough weight to bust you back down to 10 reps, where you'll work to progress the new, heavier weight back up to 12 -reps-across, and so on.

The biceps are a small muscle; keep it simple, and work hard at progression.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Yeah buddy! Barbell Curls, and Incline Curls- the meat and potatoes!!!

Registered User bostonceltics11's Avatar
    bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just grab 1/2 cup of some olive oil and a needle and syringe and inject those biceps until they're ready to pop, much cheaper than synthol and the polyunsaturated fat reduces the risk of heart disease.

^^^^ This is why you're not making any progress; stop constantly changing everything. If you continually jump from one thing to the next, you have no ability to judge your week-to-week progress.

And supersets, drop sets, and all that other stuff only serves to limit how much rest time your muscles get between sets, which then limits how much weight you're able to handle on the subsequent set.

You need to find a biceps routine comprised of plain old straight sets, and then go to work on it for 4-5 months, working to constantly add a rep here, and a few pounds to the bar there.

Grinding out one tough rep after another in a structured, basic routine is what builds mass, not jumping from one 'flavor of the week' routine to the next.

Here's a good example:

Ironwill2008 Basic Biceps routine
    ---------------------------------------

A very basic biceps routine that will work all aspects of your bis would be:

Barbell Curls................3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Hammer Curls..............3x10-12

Incline Dumbbell Curls...3x10-12

Use a weight that will allow you to get 10 reps across all three sets with good form. Work to progress that weight up to 12-reps-across. When you can do so, add enough weight to bust you back down to 10 reps, where you'll work to progress the new, heavier weight back up to 12 -reps-across, and so on.

The biceps are a small muscle; keep it simple, and work hard at progression.
    alright i appreciate the help..ill give it a go with the basic stuff..maybe i was switching it up to much..seemed to work for the rest of my muscles just not my biceps..but thanks alot!

Rest 1 minute in between each exercise. It's not a giant set, it's simply 3-4 exercises performed regularly, one working set.

I am saying to perform this 3 days a week, on days that will not interfere with your back.
    thanks man i appreciate the help..we shall see how it goes

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)

^ This, seriously.

My biceps used to lag, and it took a while before I learned how to train them. It boiled down to 2 main training principles....pick some moves to stick with and don't be b-s-'n.

I do 2 moves for biceps within a training session. 1 move with a shoulder width straight supinated grip (weighted chinups or straight bar barbell curls) and 1 move with flared elbows (EZ bar curls) and most importantly shoot for progression.

Along with the same principles for 2 forearm moves (straight bar reverse curls, Hammer curls) and I'm good.

I also went through a phase where I took the rep scheme all the way down to 6 reps on the bicep moves in order to get stronger, but did more sets. Overtime I turned those 6's into 8's and 10's.

Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    ^ This, seriously.

My biceps used to lag, and it took a while before I learned how to train them. It boiled down to 2 main training principles....pick some moves to stick with and don't be b-s-'n.

I do 2 moves for biceps within a training session. 1 move with a shoulder width straight supinated grip (weighted chinups or straight bar barbell curls) and 1 move with flared elbows (EZ bar curls) and most importantly shoot for progression.

Along with the same principles for 2 forearm moves (straight bar reverse curls, Hammer curls) and I'm good.

I also went through a phase where I took the rep scheme all the way down to 6 reps on the bicep moves in order to get stronger, but did more sets. Overtime I turned those 6's into 8's and 10's.
    awesome. glad to hear that his advice worked on someone else who was struggling with bi's. ill most def be doing it.thanks.

Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reussir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Report back in 3 weeks
    Noob here. What are Incline Dumbbell Curls? Are they done on an incline bench or standing?

Originally Posted by Reussir View Post
    Noob here. What are Incline Dumbbell Curls? Are they done on an incline bench or standing?
    yes you use a incline bench..just look it up in google images or on youtube if you arent exactly sure how to perform it.

eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eazy57 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm trying to improve my arms too. For the past 4 weeks I've been sticking to the basics (barbell, preacher, and incline curls) with a focus on lifting heavier has definitely made a difference for me. Another thing I do is try to increase the time under tension with slow deliberate reps. Then when I get to the top of the movement I contract like hell to squeeze every last ounce out of that rep.
    Nothing gets in the way of our progress more than ourselves.

Lose the mindset that everything and everyone is the reason you aren't where you want to be.

YOU are the reason you are where you are.

The biggest problem with people are the excuses they make.

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It might sound counter-intuitive but trying using less weight and really focus on form, range of motion, and rep tempo. Really focus on using the biceps to move the weight. Take curls for example:

-Keep elbows tucked to your sides. They shouldn't move at all in the movement.
    -Keep your chest out and your shoulders back.
    -Your legs,lower back etc shouldnt be moving doing this movement
    -Start from fully extended position and slowly ( whats slow and fast mean to you is your decision) start to move the weight. The fully contracted position for free weight curls is when the elbow joint makes a 90 degree angle. Hold here for two seconds, and then lower slowly to the full extended position. Do not lock your elbow out as it's rough on the joint and at the same time takes tension off the bicep.
    -Try not to "over grip". You want to feel the biceps moving the weight and not having your forearms taking the brunt of the work.
    -Now as you fatigue the body will try to break form and get the tension of the biceps and move it else where, try to keep form as best you can.

The weight is just a measuring tool, so try not to get to worried about moving weight. My arms are just a little over 17" cold, and when I do barbell curls I just use 25lb per side of small Olympic barbell, think those are about 15lb. So I can only curl 65lbs, my arms are much bigger than the guys "curling" 100lb+. Also, if you are looking to add mass then you need to be in a calorie surplus. You could do the best routine in the world and if you arent giving the body the nutrients to build new muscle, it's not going to happen.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by eazy57 View Post
    Then when I get to the top of the movement I contract like hell to squeeze every last ounce out of that rep.
    If talking about free weight lifts, then the fully contracted position is when the elbow makes a 90 degree angle. Trying holding in that position for 10 second at the end of your set and you'll feel the difference.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer