KagedLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Noob Question, Help Needed Please!

This has to be a question with a really easy answer but how much weight should I start out lifting? I know how many reps and all of that as that's in most work out plans.

do I go with the heaviest one I can lift, barely lift or?

I seem to recall an article on bb.com somewhere answering these questions but can't find it.

Please help a noob on his first steps to his dream.

TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Depends on your routine. Are you following any specific program? Form > Weight
    I deserve that pedestal, I own it, and the sea ought to part for me.
    Just get out of the fuking way, I'm on a mission.
    So just step aside and gimme the trophy.

I'm going to go through Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program. I've never worked out before but I'm anxious for my transformation to begin. I'm doing a lot of reading on bb.com to prepare and be organized with diet plan, workout plan and everything else. You fail to plan and your planning to fail..

TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I'm not going to say anything about the actual program, but by what it is saying the max reps you should be doing is 15, then 12, then 8-10, then to about 5-6.
    I deserve that pedestal, I own it, and the sea ought to part for me.
    Just get out of the fuking way, I'm on a mission.
    So just step aside and gimme the trophy.

Registered User bostonceltics11's Avatar
    bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bostonceltics11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    no doubt you want to start with a weight that you can handle comfortably for 12 reps so you can focus on the feel of the lift, aka mind muscle connection rather than using a heavy weight where you just push with all ur effort and fail to use correct form.

danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50) danbradster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just lift a reasonable weight and increase it each session. No problem if you pick too little weight since it'll be at the right level within a few sessions, a short period of time in the long run.

so obviously form is the most important more so then the weight. From there make sure I can get through all the sets with moderate effort. if it seems to easy bump up the weight but not to the point of not being able to complete the set?

kind of a feel it out as I go kind of thing...

Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KagedLion View Post
    so obviously form is the most important more so then the weight. From there make sure I can get through all the sets with moderate effort. if it seems to easy bump up the weight but not to the point of not being able to complete the set?

kind of a feel it out as I go kind of thing...
    This goes for any time you are weightlifting, but especially when you are first starting. Less weight and great form are the keys to success. starting out do what you can handle comfortably go 8-12 reps, but go slow and really squeeze the muscles. Once and only once you get correct form down move up the weights. Being new to weightlifting cheating will only get you injured and minimal results.

I will be applying everyone's good counsel here thank you