Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What do you think of this rack (craigslist)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/3380081360.html

Yes, I am aware there is a craigslist thread. Stickies get overlooked sometimes I believe. Thought I might get more attention with a new thread.

I know the post is old. Contacted the guy, and he said it is still available.

Just looking for someone to verify that this is a good purchase for me. Looking to do the obvious exercises from home (squat, presses, deadlift, shrugs, etc). I have a good bench and lot of weight already. I have never used a rack before. I have a bowflex I am going to get rid of (Know they are hated. It got me going, but sometimes you gotta make your own mistakes. Free weights are way to go). I've never used a rack, though, so I just want some general comments on usability / quality / price.

Thanks.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Heisenberg123 View Post
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/3380081360.html

Yes, I am aware there is a craigslist thread. Stickies get overlooked sometimes I believe. Thought I might get more attention with a new thread.

I know the post is old. Contacted the guy, and he said it is still available.

Just looking for someone to verify that this is a good purchase for me. Looking to do the obvious exercises from home (squat, presses, deadlift, shrugs, etc). I have a good bench and lot of weight already. I have never used a rack before. I have a bowflex I am going to get rid of (Know they are hated. It got me going, but sometimes you gotta make your own mistakes. Free weights are way to go). I've never used a rack, though, so I just want some general comments on usability / quality / price.

Thanks.
    That's not a rack / power cage, it's a smith machine, where the bar is physically attached to the machine. A power rack is usually much, much more recommended for working out vs a smith machine. To lazy to write more, use good for details. :-)

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is a smith machine, not a rack. A smith machine is not really freeweights. May like it better or worse than freeweights but your strength gains and maybe even bodybuilding results may suffer if you're a beginner.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Heisenberg123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So is the general idea that because this has that extra rail from keeping the bar from moving away from the machine it might lead to bad form? Just trying to understand why this might not work as well as a rack.

Positives --It's fairly cheap and I liked having the dip bar. But I wanna do things right. Would it make you more likely to recommend this if I said I work out alone 99% of the time?

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can have bad form anywhere. Lots of people complain about pressing on a smith, say it's hard on their joints because it limits your ROM. Some people say it helps them maintain good form on certain lifts because it limits their ROM. There are big internet flamewars on the topic.

But it's generally agreed that a smith hurts your strength training results. As a beginner you can bodybuild and get good strength in a power rack, so why would you lose out on strength in a smith?

Also a cheap smith might feel crappy. Smiths need to have certain bearings or whatever to work smoothly. Can't tell if this smith has safeties. If it does, the spacing is like 3-4" which is almost useless.

You can find cheap used power racks too.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Number one: It is a Smith machine completely different than a squat rack

Number Two: It is a body by Jake product. In other words a really crappy Smith Machine. It is poorly made, meaning that if you don't lift exactly straight the bar binds and halts your movement. It will also bind under a heavy enough load.

Just like it says in the FAQ sticky you want a power rack, bench and Barbell set especially since you work out alone.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, the bar on the smith machine is on rods, so it has a very limited range of motion (straight up and straight down). Most people have body mechanics that don't go "exactly" straight up and down, so the smith machine causes you to compensate for it's limited range of motion and will likely lead to poor form and technique. The smith machine also automatically stabilizes the bar, so you are not forced to stabilize the weight, which can limit your progress. A smith machine will also limit the variety of exercises you are able to perform. It's an OK machine, but there are better options, especially when you consider the amount of space it occupies.

It is a good start at a decent price, so it will definitely get you started lifting and making progress, but keep looking even after you buy it. Look for a power rack, adjustable bench, oly bar, and oly weight set. That will be a great set-up to start and then you can add or upgrade equipment after you get those key pieces. The key...get a "power rack". Not a squat rack or squat stands. The power rack will allow you to adjust the safeties for your various lifts. Higher safety position for shoulder presses, etc... Mid-to-low position for squats. Then MAKE SURE you adjust the safeties to be just slightly above your chest when doing bench presses. Better to not touch the bar completely to your chest than to be trapped under the bar if you fail the lift. The safeties have saved me on numerous occasions and I make sure I always lift safe, especially when lifting alone.

Alright cool. I'll keep looking for a rack. I just didn't see one on craigslist at the moment and I don't want to blow $400+ on new if I can avoid it. Just a little antsy I guess but Bowflex will work until the right stuff pops up.

Originally Posted by packemup87 View Post
    Yes, the bar on the smith machine is on rods, so it has a very limited range of motion (straight up and straight down). Most people have body mechanics that don't go "exactly" straight up and down, so the smith machine causes you to compensate for it's limited range of motion and will likely lead to poor form and technique. The smith machine also automatically stabilizes the bar, so you are not forced to stabilize the weight, which can limit your progress. A smith machine will also limit the variety of exercises you are able to perform. It's an OK machine, but there are better options, especially when you consider the amount of space it occupies.

It is a good start at a decent price, so it will definitely get you started lifting and making progress, but keep looking even after you buy it. Look for a power rack, adjustable bench, oly bar, and oly weight set. That will be a great set-up to start and then you can add or upgrade equipment after you get those key pieces. The key...get a "power rack". Not a squat rack or squat stands. The power rack will allow you to adjust the safeties for your various lifts. Higher safety position for shoulder presses, etc... Mid-to-low position for squats. Then MAKE SURE you adjust the safeties to be just slightly above your chest when doing bench presses. Better to not touch the bar completely to your chest than to be trapped under the bar if you fail the lift. The safeties have saved me on numerous occasions and I make sure I always lift safe, especially when lifting alone.
    Thanks. I am 3/4 of the way there (just missing the power rack). Although I didn't think about the interaction between the current bench and the rack. I was just planning on lifting with the bench only (which wouldn't give me the safeties). Not sure if it will work (the bench holds the bar on its own). I'll figure it out though.

packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) packemup87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks. I am 3/4 of the way there (just missing the power rack). Although I didn't think about the interaction between the current bench and the rack. I was just planning on lifting with the bench only (which wouldn't give me the safeties). Not sure if it will work (the bench holds the bar on its own). I'll figure it out though.
    No, don't use a "bench press", with the bar holders attached...see below:
    http://www.legendfitness.com/product...rage_3150.aspx

Get either a flat bench, or better yet, an adjustable bench w/ wheels. It will allow you to roll the bench in and out of the power rack. And don't get a "cheap" bench. Some will be rated for 300 lbs. That may sound like a lot and it is if you are bench pressing that much, but you need to add your body weight into the limit. So if you are 200 lbs, technically you should only lift 100 lbs when using that bench (maybe a bit more if you say the bench isn't supporting the weight of your legs, etc... but that is minor) but I wouldn't want to be lifting and have the bench crumble beneath me.

Looks at this bench as an example:
    http://www.legendfitness.com/product...ench_3103.aspx

This is a fairly pricey example...especially if you buy it new, but Craigslist is your friend...keep looking for deals.

I started out with a Hoist Fitness adjustable bench that I picked up on Craigslist for $30. I then upgraded to a Bodymasters commercial bench that I found on Craigslist 2 yrs later. The Hoist bench is rated for 1000+ lbs (don't recall exactly), so it was more than adequate. Pull the trigger on something decent that will KEEP YOU SAFE. Your comment about lifting without safeties on a bench press is very concerning, especially when lifting alone. Again, use a power rack w/ an adjustable bench and NOT a simple bench press when lifting alone. If you have a bench press, you should consider selling it and using the money to fund your power rack and adjustable bench purchases.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Note that the bench press is the one exercise that people actually *die* from when the bar falls on them and suffocates them. I'm...just sayin'. The bench press is the worst exercise to do without safeties.

If you search for "Power Rack" on amazon right now, the first result is $350 and it gets 4.5 out of 5 stars with 70-some reviews.

Unless you're bench pressing with dumbells, I would be hesitant to bench press alone.

Thanks for the concern but I have been benching alone for years and know my body. I know what I can lift and never try a max alone. When I do get my rack, though, I will take advantage of the safeties.

This one is an old post but I tried getting in touch anyways. Couldn't hurt. Should be a good one if he gets back to me:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/3331340566.html

And as far as buying new, I could technically afford a $5000 rack. I just don't believe in paying double the cost or more for exercise equipment that will eventually pop up on craigslist. Maybe the right answer is to get a one month free deal at a gym or something and keep my eyes open (because I do greatly prefer to lift at home).

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks for the concern but I have been benching alone for years and know my body. I know what I can lift and never try a max alone.
    You sound like this guy:

Budget may not be an issue, but safety should be and you will notice that most people on these forums will recommend a power rack because it is very versatile AND adds safety when lifting alone. Many people are aware of their lifting limits, but it only takes once for something disastrous to happen and it could be life altering (or life ending) event. Craps, muscle tear/strain, fatigue, etc... Don't be a story on the evening news. Detroit should be a good area for equipment hunting. While your budget allows for high end equipment, most people on here are like you and are looking for a deal. You could always start with the highly regarded Powertec rack and keep your eyes open on Craigslist for upgrade options. Use Searchtempest.com to widen your search area and use a variety of keywords.

Other high quality options @ sub $1000 price point are listed below...plus this weekend there are some good deals on shipping, etc...

EliteFTS - $856 including shipping
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=475&pid=5416

Rogue Fitness - $700 + free shipping this weekend if you buy 4 more small items
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3-power-rack.php

Powertec - $539 + free shipping
    http://www.fitnessfactoryoutlet.com/...ower-Rack.html

There are many others. I've just listed a few.

Thanks for the concern but I have been benching alone for years and know my body. I know what I can lift and never try a max alone. When I do get my rack, though, I will take advantage of the safeties.

This one is an old post but I tried getting in touch anyways. Couldn't hurt. Should be a good one if he gets back to me:

And as far as buying new, I could technically afford a $5000 rack. I just don't believe in paying double the cost or more for exercise equipment that will eventually pop up on craigslist. Maybe the right answer is to get a one month free deal at a gym or something and keep my eyes open (because I do greatly prefer to lift at home).
    Cool!

The second craigslist ad I posted is still available. What is a "fair" craigslist price for it? Not gonna take the weight. Just the bench + rack. I might take the vest but I don't know.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

Thats a Weider rack and bench with a Weider weight set:

I wouldn't go over $400 max for the rack bench and Olympic set. $700 is way way high you could get comparable quality new for that. the rest of the junk is worth about a hundred tops. you might be able to flip the crap bench press and the standard stuff for $150.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Thats a Weider rack and bench with a Weider weight set:

I wouldn't go over $400 max for the rack bench and Olympic set. $700 is way way high you could get comparable quality new for that. the rest of the junk is worth about a hundred tops. you might be able to flip the crap bench press and the standard stuff for $150.
    This ^^

At that price, I'd buy new.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PPR2...3809894&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Com...3810000&sr=1-9

Less than $650 shipped to your door.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    You sound like this guy:

There is a reason that is called a "suicide grip."

Unless you tell me a reason why a Weider brand isn't good, I'm going to try for it. If the issue is just that it won't support 1000 pounds or something, I'm not worried about going up that high.

So I think I'm gonna offer $200 for the rack and bench. Sound about right? I was never gonna go near $700, but given that it is a month old post, maybe he realizes he was way off on price.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unless you tell me a reason why a Weider brand isn't good, I'm going to try for it. If the issue is just that it won't support 1000 pounds or something, I'm not worried about going up that high.

So I think I'm gonna offer $200 for the rack and bench. Sound about right? I was never gonna go near $700, but given that it is a month old post, maybe he realizes he was way off on price.
    If I remember correctly, the Weider racks are only rated for 300lbs.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Put down the crack pipe, junior.

Weider is crap. Marcy is crap. About everything you can buy at a big box sporting goods store is crap. CRAP. Do your research. It's crap. And just because you're not going to go up to 1000 pounds, that doesn't mean you don't need the extra margin of safety, should something go wrong.

As for the price, people often grossly over- and under-value their crap on cl. This guy has an inflated sense of the value of his crap. Good luck to you, but don't be surprised if he is offended at his "like new" stuff that will "never wear out" and therefore, should go for close to what it cost at the big box sporting goods store.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

I'm open to buying a more expensive rack, but you didn't really say anything about why it is crap. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to sell racks that would fail under normal operating conditions. And I'm not sure what extra functionality a more expensive rack would bring.

It's about the quality of construction. Weider, Marcy, etc... typically use thinner gauge metal. Thinner = less strength. Some of the higher quality racks that have been suggested use a thicker metal and that is why they are rated for more weight.

The Weider & Marcy racks are typically at the big box stores. They are marketed and sold to the group that is just starting out and sold at a price point that is attractive to someone that isn't too serious about lifting. To hit the desired price point, the manufacturer's use a lower quality steel (not as heavy gauge) for their benches and racks. More often than not, I would suspect these are bought by people with good intentions to work out, but they end up being used as coat racks rather than for lifting. Someone serious about working out will quickly outgrow these items.

I'm open to buying a more expensive rack, but you didn't really say anything about why it is crap. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to sell racks that would fail under normal operating conditions. And I'm not sure what extra functionality a more expensive rack would bring.
    Not trying to be dick, but this topic has been beaten to death over the years. A simple search through some of the older threads will give you all the info you need to help you decide.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I'm not going to work very hard at this, because you seem to have your mind somewhat made up. Its not our job to convince you to spend more money or to buy a certain rack, so get what you want.

Weider racks aren't "bad because they're Weider racks...they're bad because they're the company that tries to get their products into every single box store on the planet. Most people that are going into a box store to get their equipment aren't looking to spend $1000-$1500 on a rack and some freeweights....they're looking to get in and out as cheap as possible. In order for Weider (or whoever it is that owns them now) to keep racks in every single box store on the planet, they have to give the store a product that will sell quickly. The way to do this is to produce a low cost rack/cage...the way to do that is to start cutting corners. They aren't even the only product that does this....its just the way of the world.

Now...a couple of points. First of all, the Weider rack isn't that bad. I've owned a couple of them (to flip, not to use) and while I haven't had one like you're looking at, it looks comparable. Weider just made stuff that was crappy....lightweight metal, crappy bushings, limited function, lots of instability, poor mechanical function. With the racks, a lot of this doesn't come into play, so they just didn't do as bad with their racks as they did/do with some of their other stuff. The biggest problem I ever saw with the ones I had was anything that had a pulley on it was terrible, the safeties took too long to move because you had to tighten them down with a screw handle (nobody did that, not sure why they did), and on one of their racks you actually had to benchpress with the hooks in front of you instead of behind you.....long explanation, but its just the way it was. So they still screwed up some things. The other big problem with them was the proverbial "300lb max rating".....they pretty much put it on anything. Nobody knows if the rating is really what its good for or if it was just a legally set rating to cover their ass. 300lb rating on a rack (if that's truly what you'd expect it to fail at) is way low and is really going to restrict you, regardless of what you're lifting now. On the ones I had...if it were the only thing I could get my hands on, I'd personally expect the rack to safely catch a bar dropped on the safeties that had more than 300lbs on it....but that's just my non-engineering opinion and I'm hardly suggesting you test their ratings.

So....in general Weider has a history of sucking....I've explained the general ways they can suck, I'm not going to start googling it. They just do. On the racks, the consensus is they do ok, but there is much better to be had. If you're set on getting a rack from CL...which I'm certainly not going to try to talk you out of...then I wouldn't pay anymore than $200 for a Weider cage. 2 reasons....one, that's what I think they're worth and if you pay anymore you might as well have just saved up a little more and got a better cage. Two, if you're going to keep perusing CL for a better rack, which I would recommend, then at some point you will need to sell the Weider rack. You should be able to get $200 out of it on CL....so you will basically have gotten the use of the rack for free.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thin metal, poor quality construction, low weight maximums. I have heard my share of people getting injured using substandard gym gear. So have others here. You obviously know better. As for functionality, that's a different matter. But being the know-it-all that you are, you should know that. And you should know that a cheap Body Solid or Powertec rack has more functionality than this turd you are enamored with. . ,
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

^^^^^That covers why Weider is less desirable.

I mostly posted because the price was way high for what you would actually want to use out of that add.

If you wanted the rack, bench, and weight set I said to go as high as $400. If you want all of it I would try to get everything there even just to sell off parts for less than $500.

In your position, since you have very little stuff, I would take it all if I could get him to sell it to me for less than $500. I would offer $400 for everything and bargain (in person with cash in your pocket) from there and walk away with nothing if he wouldn't come lower than $500. I would then flip the cheap ass bench with a standard weight set (around 150 pounds and a straight bar) for about $150 though I would ask $200 to start (it should go around new years when everyone is thinking about losing weight). That would leave you with everything else for $300 or less which is a pretty good deal. Now you've got a useable set-up at a good price and therefore no time pressure (something you seem to be feeling very acutely now). Keep your eyes open and you will be able to buy some really nice stuff over time and upgrade your gym to something really worth having. Then you can sell this stuff for a little more than you paid and come out ahead.

you could also get this:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/3397635668.html

asking price is decent.

A bench and half rack from here would be good:

http://lansing.craigslist.org/spo/3412815163.html

$175 for both though worn they would be commercial quality.

Here's a deal I would jump at:

http://lansing.craigslist.org/for/3395609474.html

especially if you have the weights and an Olympic bar already. Just make sure he gives you the safety bars that go in the rack they sometimes come up missing.

The good stuff is out there it just really helps to know your brands and what you should be looking for. This was just one quick search.