samguan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Adjustable dumbells

hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I did some research on adjustable dumbbells and many people recommend Powerblock. Althrough Bowlfex is more attractive on price but not very good.

I want something that I can grow with, I'm a pretty weak guy right now and would like to follow online videos and gain some strength with dumbbells.

so I think I'm going to get the Powerblock Sport 9.0 stage I set.

please let me know if there are any other alternatives in the same price range, this will be my first big purchase for fitness(poor guy).

Right now 25 pounds seem to be alot for me already, I dont' know if I will need the 90 pound version or I can live with the cheaper 50 pound versioin.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anything is better than nothing.

Your body doesn't care what you use, it just responds to whether you are doing work or not.
    Therefore, Do work.

There are hundreds of thread on this topic. Read the forum. Research. Think.

If you are just starting out, and / or weak, you will see results by doing practically anything. Start with as much full body exercise as possible.
    Bodyweight exercises can get you primed and ready for real training. You want to exercise frequently and in a way that you can effectively recover from so that you get bigger and stronger...maybe even faster depending on your goals.

If 25 pounds is sufficient weight for most of your exercises, consider making some sand bags or getting some alternative tools. They are literally "cheap as dirt" and with very little ingenuity you can have a nice starter kit with which you can do beginner dead lifting, overhead pressing, etc. Pick up a couple of adjustable ankle weights (there are 1-5, 1-10, and 1-20 lb varieties available) and you will have many options available to you to obtain sufficient resistance for a lot of exercises.

Once you have been exercising every muscle in your body for a bit, THEN worry about what gear to assemble to maximize gains, and find an appropriate program to work with (like "Starting Strength").

Seriously, right now it sounds like you'd benefit a lot from simple bodyweight squats (if you are strong, do them unilaterally, or one-legged), push-ups, pull-ups, bodyweight rows, etc. You DO NOT need to worry about doing arm curls.

Most complete sets of adjustable dumbbells cost hundreds of dollars, regardless of whether they are excellent quality (Iron Masters and Power Blocks) or complete sh!t (Soloflex and the other junk). If you are starting out you would probably be fine just picking up some standard plates and adjustable spin-tight handles off Craig's list and working with those.

If you have money to burn, sure, go for the Power Blocks. They will last you a long time and are quite convenient.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
    Anything is better than nothing.

Your body doesn't care what you use, it just responds to whether you are doing work or not.
    Therefore, Do work.

There are hundreds of thread on this topic. Read the forum. Research. Think.

If you are just starting out, and / or weak, you will see results by doing practically anything. Start with as much full body exercise as possible.
    Bodyweight exercises can get you primed and ready for real training. You want to exercise frequently and in a way that you can effectively recover from so that you get bigger and stronger...maybe even faster depending on your goals.

If 25 pounds is sufficient weight for most of your exercises, consider making some sand bags or getting some alternative tools. They are literally "cheap as dirt" and with very little ingenuity you can have a nice starter kit with which you can do beginner dead lifting, overhead pressing, etc. Pick up a couple of adjustable ankle weights (there are 1-5, 1-10, and 1-20 lb varieties available) and you will have many options available to you to obtain sufficient resistance for a lot of exercises.

Once you have been exercising every muscle in your body for a bit, THEN worry about what gear to assemble to maximize gains, and find an appropriate program to work with (like "Starting Strength").

Seriously, right now it sounds like you'd benefit a lot from simple bodyweight squats (if you are strong, do them unilaterally, or one-legged), push-ups, pull-ups, bodyweight rows, etc. You DO NOT need to worry about doing arm curls.

Most complete sets of adjustable dumbbells cost hundreds of dollars, regardless of whether they are excellent quality (Iron Masters and Power Blocks) or complete sh!t (Soloflex and the other junk). If you are starting out you would probably be fine just picking up some standard plates and adjustable spin-tight handles off Craig's list and working with those.

If you have money to burn, sure, go for the Power Blocks. They will last you a long time and are quite convenient.

This^^^

Even if you had to buy them new, 110lbs of standard plates (eight 10lb, four 5lb, and four 2.5 lb) and a pair of standard 14" spinlock handles should only run you about $125, and that'll cover everything from 5lb (the approximate weight of a bare spinlock handle) all the way up to 60lbs each.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

samguan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Omg, thx a lot guys! Never thought about plates and handles. I'm going to my local shop right now to check them out!

Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Go for the 90lb set...

I bought the 50lb set about 15 years ago...if I need to go heavier, I have use dumbell handles and plates. I wish I had gone with the heavier set to begin with. My set is too old to upgrade...
    DVC

Quigley...

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Quigley2013 View Post
    Go for the 90lb set...

I bought the 50lb set about 15 years ago...if I need to go heavier, I have use dumbell handles and plates. I wish I had gone with the heavier set to begin with. My set is too old to upgrade...
    are you sure? powerblock still sells expansion kits for the old pro sets, which were the first incarnation as far as i know.

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeu...40addonKit.php
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    are you sure? powerblock still sells expansion kits for the old pro sets, which were the first incarnation as far as i know.

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeu...40addonKit.php
    Holy crap...I think you are right!!!

Thanks
    DVC

Quigley...