AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Competitive bodybuilding for a 40+

My first day posting here so be gentle.

Anyway, I've been busting my butt for the last year or so and have dropped 40 lbs (20% of my former bodyweight) and am now about 12% bodyfat, trending downward. I was running and lifting, but I've had an extended timeout from running after injuring my foot in August after running a 10:52 1.5 mile. Anyway, I've been lifting about 60-75 minutes per day for 5x/week, and I switched from to one body part per day per week, though I'm starting to work each body part a second time per week with light weight.

Ok, so my question is how and where should I look for competitive bodybuilding? I'm not there yet, but I think it gives me something for which to strive above a simple "get in shape" or achieving a six pack. I am planning to earn a reputable personal training certification when I return to the States (I'm deployed at the moment), both to educate myself and to possibly have a small side job. Having a competition as a goal should continue to spur me on in the gym, though my enthusiasm hasn't waned at all lately. I think I'm hooked on this fitness stuff.

Does anyone have any advice on where to look for competitions and such? Perhaps a book that might be helpful? I figure that I'll attend some/several competitions to see what the competition is like and to what level I need to take my physique, which should give me a good idea when I could realistically expect to start competing. I'm guessing another year of hard training should give me a good base for something.

It's just something I'm mulling over, and I'd appreciate any insight from those who have gone there before. Thanks, and I look forward to participating in the discussions around here and learning from everyone!

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Usually ppl do local shows. Where do you plan to live when you're back in the States?
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AndrewR770 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Usually ppl do local shows. Where do you plan to live when you're back in the States?
    Oh, I'm only here temporarily -- my permanent home is in northern Maryland, about 20 miles from the Pennsylvania line. I'm about 25 miles north of Baltimore.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000) Powerkicker is a name known to all. (+5000)

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Awesome links -- thanks! I guess I'll be reading for the rest of my deployment while I'm recovering from the gym.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The best advise I can give you is to go to as many shows as you can BEFORE you compete. I was an NPC judge for several years and I was astonished at the amount of people who stepped on stage and didn't have any idea of what to expect. They though they were in shape (they were not). They didn't know how to pose to show of what they had and hide what they didn't have. They didn't have the right color, weren't dark enough, or blotchy, etc. They were not in proper condition (not lean enough).... the list goes on. Some of these people did not have any true friends that were honest with them. They think they look good and perhaps are the biggest people in the gym but they have never stood next to someone who was truly in shape so they could see the differences. The stage lights don't hide anything.

Find yourself an experienced coach to teach you what to expect. How to pose and how to prep for your first show. Do NOT let them prescribe a prep program that worked for them or others. Have them prepare a program that works for YOU. Everyone is different so take the time for the first show to have time to do practice runs for getting ready for the day of the show. You have to learn how to peak for that day, heck, sometimes the peak can only be a few hours long so you must learn how YOU react to foods, training, etc. A good coach will tune your prep for you. A bad coach will take your money and give you the same prep he gives everyone else.

I used to do this for clients. I do NOT do this anymore due to the fact that I have left the bodybuilding competition world. However, when I did help people I offered them a money back guarantee because I knew in the end, I would know their body better than they did. I never had to give any money back to anyone who stepped on stage. I usually got a bonus.

I was also a big stickler on posing. You have to look comfortable, not necessarily be comfortable on stage. You have to look big, not necessarily be big on stage to do well. You have to show off your strenghens and know how to hide your weaknesses. Dominate. Make the stage your stage. Make the judges look at YOU.

Doing a show is a great motivator for getting into shape. My first show was an attempt to be the best shape of my life by the time I was 40. A show can keep you focussed and give you a drive to succeed in your quests. It teaches discipline. It can give you pride.

However, make your goals your own. Do not strive to win it all or feel you have failed if you don't come in first place. IF someone beats you it is because they were better than you. Someone, somewhere, is always better than you and perhaps that day they showed up on stage next to you. Congratulate them. Acheive your goals BEFORE you step on that stage. Know that when you step out from behind that current that you have attained what you set out to do. You are proud of what you have done and anything else is icing on the cake.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)