Closed Thread
Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jayfirered4 View Post
    can i not get stronger doing 6-8 reps on compound exercises using dumbbells? i agree with 1ntesityrules. ive been lifting for about two years and messed up alot and still am learning now. My gym doe not carry barbells. I do care about my strength and size but who says i cant do it with dumbbells? tbh i am stuck on 75 db on each arm almost for 6 months bc i am recovering from puling my shoulder and because of family issue and the real world putting me away from proper dieting and training. i always felt that my push pull legs routine was thrown in the trash just bc i never did a SS.
    elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/push-pull-legs-routine-outline-819993.html
    The rep range does matter in strength programs, but building strength is primarily focused on progressively overloading your muscles. You try to add weight or increase reps the next workout or next week depending on your experience level. If you do 6 reps with 80lb DBs, next session you do 7, that means you got stronger (progressive overload). Using barbells is much better for adding weight to the bar faster. DBs will have a greater ROM and are better if your goals are hypertrophy over strength. I still think that new guys should lean on the barbell movements as the base of their program. DBs are fine for assistance work. In the end, you can do whatever you want. All we can offer is advice. "If I were you, I would do this" - that's all this is. Using DBs will offer strength gains provided you stay consistent with diet, training, and rest. Just know that strength progression will be much slower. I feel that it's important for new trainees to move more weight. Like I said, barbells should be the base, but DBs are fine for assistance work. Because your gym does not have barbells, you have no choice. You must use DBs or you can switch gyms. I personally would never join a gym that does not have a squat rack or barbells.

Guys, you must understand this... They are not bashing your routines because they aren't the popular routines. Get this through your head. The main reason they bash is because they are lazy. It is easier to just say "go do SS or an upper/lower" than it is to take the time to actually go through the program and modify it. A push/pull/legs is a good routine and I like the way that guy designed the routine. You do a main compound then hit the assistance work. I wouldn't recommend you listening to the guy who made that thread. Going to complete failure ON EVERY SET and training 5-6x a week is terrible advice. I have a feeling that he is not natural.

Hope this helps
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh, and to add to my earlier post that you have not yet replied to, i use the walking as a Warm UP for leg day. You are really smart in this field, have you considered doing Physical Therapy or something along those lines as your career?

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 1ntensityrules View Post
    Oh, and to add to my earlier post that you have not yet replied to, i use the walking as a Warm UP for leg day. You are really smart in this field, have you considered doing Physical Therapy or something along those lines as your career?
    Sorry man, just saw your post. Yes I am considering PT. Other options include sports training or criminal justice (detective work).

I'm not taking anything away from the guy who designed your program. He is probably an outstanding athlete. But that still doesn't change the fact that the routine needs some work. Is there any way you can link me to it? I don't see it in my recent posts. I'll try my best to help you out. You will most likely get some input from N4 as well.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    Sorry man, just saw your post. Yes I am considering PT. Other options include sports training or criminal justice (detective work).

I'm not taking anything away from the guy who designed your program. He is probably an outstanding athlete. But that still doesn't change the fact that the routine needs some work. Is there any way you can link me to it? I don't see it in my recent posts. I'll try my best to help you out. You will most likely get some input from N4 as well.
    It is ok, no need to respond. It is on Page 3 of this if you would like to know. What do you find as the weak points in this routine? And if you want to email the guy, i could give you his email.

It is ok, no need to respond. It is on Page 3 of this if you would like to know. What do you find as the weak points in this routine? And if you want to email the guy, i could give you his email.
    Nah, it's cool. Hang on. Will report back.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Ok, i would think you would have a solid conversation with the guy, but its fine.

bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Like 10-12?
    Damn.... I need to eat more
    SOHP : 265

N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jayfirered4 View Post
    how many sets max can you do for a blss routine after you"ve done the core exercises? say after you do the squat bench and rows, how many isolation exercises can i do?
    Pick 2-3 pieces of accessory work (NOT ALL BICEP WORK, THOUGH) and perform 2-3 sets for each at about 8-12 reps. This should suffice. Make sure you do some rear delt work as standard.

See below...

I would be interested in checking out your program.

To those wondering about WHY we recommend programs like BLSS:

Please note, one of the main reasons new lifters are advised to do SS over a traditional bro split (usually CREATED by themselves or a mate), is because it is superior. It provides the lifter with adequate frequency (for new lifters, frequency > volume) and allows them to build a solid strength foundation. Due to a lower amount of exercises, lifters can also really focus on nailing the core lifts (B, S, D). Any non-retarded program will WORK for new lifters. It's just that certain options already exist which are generally considered to be rather efficacious (and superior) in nature. Why complicate things? Pick a tried and tested program which its own progression method built in and milk it for all it's worth, IMO. Now I'm in no way saying your routine is a bro split and retarded (though it full well may be; IDK). Not at all. I'm merely pointing out why lifters are recommended programs like BLSS. Having recently trained with babylover, I can say without a doubt that you should listen and apply his advice. Within 5 minutes of training with him, he was able to make my 180 pull feel like 120-140 (kgs). Srs. The man is literally a genius and a god among men. I'm not even kidding.
    <<:::>> Founder, CMO, Researcher, & Writer at Spartan Supps. <<:::>>

www.********.com/spartansupps

http://spartansupplements.wordpress.com/

Day 1-45 secs of rest All Days

• Pull ups…….3x(10-20) Super-set with Dips….3x(10-20)
    • Situps……….3x(20-30)
    • Incline DB Press…..4x(12,10,8,6) CONTOL on the up and down phase
    • Cable Row……………4x(15,12,10,8)  really feel the pinch in the upper back/ shoulder blades
    • Pec Fly (cable, machine, or DB)…4x(15,5,15,5)  light and then heavy; this is the only “heavy” lift in this workout
    • One arm DB Row…4x(15,12,10,8)
    • DB Shoulder Press….4x10 Super-set with Concentration curls 4x12
    • Skull Crushers………..4x12  silky smooth motion is key
    • STRETCH+REHYDRATE+NUTRITION

Day 2-lower

• Jump Rope/Jog…..5-15 min
    • Leg Press….4x(15,12,10,8)
    • Single Leg Quad Ext…. 3x12 Super-set with Wall sits @ 30 sec
    • Single Leg Hamstring Curl…. 4x10 Super-set with 20 Body weight squats
    • Full ROM Squats………. 5x5 (even # sets heavy, odd # sets super slow and 50% of heavy weight)
    • Double leg Quad Ext….3x8 (moderate weight) super-set with double leg hamstring curls 3x8
    • Calve Press………………..4x12
    • Calve Raises………………4x12
    • STRETCH OUT WELL

Day 3-Upper Heavy

• Pushups…2x15 super-set with pullups 2x10 (serves as warmup)
    • Barbell bench… 5x5 (Heavy with good form
    • Lat Pull…………….5x5
    • Cable Rows……..3x8 (every rep gets slower and only 10 sec rest)
    • Pec Fly……………..3x8 (every rep gets slower and 20 sec rest)
    • Swimmers Press DB….4x8 (dangerous if very heavy, keep the control)
    • Hammer Curls…..5x5 (negatives)
    • Tricep Cable Ext…5x5 (negatives

Day 4-Lower Heavy
    • Body weight squats…3x20
    • Barbell squat………….4x(15,8,5,5) no rest after completion of 4 sets, go directly into jumpsquats as described below.
    • Jumpsquats…………2x10 (15 sec. rest)
    • Single leg Press……..3x5 (negatives and heavy on each leg) No rest after completion of 3 sets, go directly into lungejumps below.
    • Lungejumps…………...2x20 (10 sec. rest)
    • Hamstring Curl……….4x8 (slow and heavy)
    • Quad Ext…………………3x10 (slow and moderate weight) Get 3-5 min recovery, get protein in, you’ll need it.
    • Burpees………………..2x10 (20 sec. rest)
    • Leg Press………………..5x5 ALL OUT( with only 30 sec rest between sets,)
    • STRETCH FOR 10-15 MIN. This is KEY. REST, REHYDRATE, EAT.

Day 5 is optional, with a focus on stretching, cardio, and bodyweight and weaknesses.

This is the current routine.

N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Day 5 is optional, with a focus on stretching, cardio, and bodyweight and weaknesses.

This is the current routine.
    To be honest, my first thought was why not just do Westside? This is tried and tested and works wonders for athletes. It gets results. Period. My 2 cents.

Originally Posted by N4J4R View Post
    To be honest, my first thought was why not just do Westside? This is tried and tested and works wonders for athletes. It gets results. Period. My 2 cents.
    Link me to westside? and thank you for being understanding? Overall, i think it is solid

Link me to westside? and thank you for being understanding? Overall, i think it is solid
    Here you go, mate: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...kinny_Bastards

Thank you

Is the westside a good routine?

In short; Yes. WS4SB is tried and tested and gets people solid results.

In short; Yes. WS4SB is tried and tested and gets people solid results.
    What is your favorite routine?

What is your favorite routine?
    Personally, I loved and had great success with Madcows 5x5. I slightly modded this program (not the core lifts) by adding in accessory work after the core lifts. Currently running a variation of a Coan Program.

Coooombe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm coming to the end of my 12 week Starting Strength program and want to begin an aesthetics program rather than a strength based one. What programs should I look at?

Originally Posted by Coooombe View Post
    I'm coming to the end of my 12 week Starting Strength program and want to begin an aesthetics program rather than a strength based one. What programs should I look at?
    What are your current lifts?

There is no real such thing as an 'aesthetics program'. You can gain lean tissue on pretty much any program; be it 'strength orientated' or more 'hypertrophy orientated'. In order to gain lean tissue, progressive overload, a caloric surplus and adequate rest all over an extended period of time is paramount. A more 'hypertrophy orientated' program for intermediate lifters would be something like a push/pull/legs or an upper/lower routine.

http://defrancostraining.com/article...rds-part3.html

Do that one. WS4SB part 3 is the best IMO. The second is in 2nd place (no pun intended), and the original is 3rd. They're all good.

Absolutely. These routines were designed by a guy with a tremendous amount of experience training high school, college, and pro level athletes. If Defranco tells you something, listen to it. He is a spectacular coach and trainer.

Please excuse me. Something came up earlier and it forced me to get off. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

xmark25x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe like 160? Not sure. Let me get a piece of paper and work this out. Will report back.
    Any updates bro? Thanks...

Personally, I loved and had great success with Madcows 5x5. I slightly modded this program (not the core lifts) by adding in accessory work after the core lifts. Currently running a variation of a Coan Program.
    Of course, i have always believed in micro or support lifts. You are only as strong as your weakest muscle IMO

ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500) ahmmz is not very helpful. (-500)
    A few of my mates have recently joined the gym with me and are on an unusual routine.
    They plan on doing each muscle group, five days a week.
    Summary :They do a full body routine five days a week.

My question is : Does this benefit you? Is it bad to do this?
    Mod negged - http://oi48.tinypic.com/2cigvm1.jpg - Please help me on my road to green!

On this planet to fulfill my destiny whatever it may be.

Originally Posted by ahmmz View Post
    A few of my mates have recently joined the gym with me and are on an unusual routine.
    They plan on doing each muscle group, five days a week.
    Summary :They do a full body routine five days a week.

My question is : Does this benefit you? Is it bad to do this?
    I see no point in hitting every body part 5 days a week. Sure a high frequency is good, but I think this may be a tad too much. If you're performing squats and pulls 5 days per week, things may get tough pretty quickly IMO, lol...
    Sounds like they've just made up some random routine off the tops of their heads, tbh. Not really a good idea if you're new to lifting.

If you want to get ahead and or potentially help them out, switch to an actual routine. If you're new to lifting, babylover's modified SS with some well placed accessory work would be ideal. You are required (or it is at least recommended) to train a minimum of 3 times per week on this program but you can do more sessions as you see fit. I highly recommend that you guys do this instead of some random full body routine, 5 days per week.

Gabrielk8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In Babylover's Modified Starting Strength is it alright to change front squats on the B day to a regular back squat like on the A days?
    Also, I'm 15, 64kg, 175cm tall, have good genetics and am currently 2 weeks into my first bulking and consistent diet program. How much mass can i expect to gain after 3 months if im eating 600 calories above maintenace?

Originally Posted by Gabrielk8 View Post
    In Babylover's Modified Starting Strength is it alright to change front squats on the B day to a regular back squat like on the A days?
    Also, I'm 15, 64kg, 175cm tall, have good genetics and am currently 2 weeks into my first bulking and consistent diet program. How much mass can i expect to gain after 3 months if im eating 600 calories above maintenace?
    Do not change the core lifts of the program. Leave them as they are; they're set that way for a reason and babylover knows what he is doing.
    500 calories above maintenance is generally around 1 pound gain per week, so 600 calories should see you gaining a little over 1 pound per week. Personally, I'd suggest that you consume a surplus of around 200-500 calories above maintenance requirements to limit potential fat gains during your bulk. It is also impossible for anyone to give you an accurate measurement of exactly how much lean mass you will put on over the three month period as there are a huge amount of different variables to take into account.

superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What are some good stretches to do before squats? I've heard static stretching beforehand can decrease your strength, is this true or broscience?
    Last edited by superstylr; 11-26-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Originally Posted by superstylr View Post
    What are some good stretches to do before squats? I've heard static stretching beforehand can decrease your strength, is this true or broscience?
    Don't do static stretching before working out. Do dynamic stretching. Static stretching can be done after your training and or on off days, IMO. Additionally, check out sanfrancisco crossfit's youtube channel. They have a tonne of mobility drills you can do such as this:

Oh and some studies that will be relevant to your interests...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21792071
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22266545
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19675479
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18545176
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20042927
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21373870
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20162300
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19855310
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095425
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158260

Hope this helps, mate

superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks mate master of studies on spread

shznhrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shznhrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shznhrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shznhrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shznhrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shznhrz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi, well since we're free to ask anything on this thread, here's my question. i have had a problem training my chest to its full potential. it seems that every other body part responds to training except for my chest. i have tried various routines over the past 2 years but still not much progress. in addition to that, my rotator cuff is injured due to bad form when i first started bodybuilding. so, any tips on how to train my chest and how i can avoid feeling the pain in my rotator cuff when doing bench press?

Closed Thread