michael73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nutrition while deployed

I am going to Basic Training in January for the army. I am wondering how eating works while I am deployed. Will I be able to bring Tupperware containers into the chow hall and take some chicken and veges out for later meals? Is it acceptable to bring a cooler of food in the Humvee with me? Are there any other sources of food while deployed apart from the chow hall?

Thanks guys, any information or suggestions from anyone with experiece would be great. I am a pretty serious bodybuilder, but I also want to serve a career in the army. My MOS is 19D, Cavalry Scout.

I weigh about 205 at around 10% bodyfat, I usually eat 7 meals a day, one of them being a shake.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why don't you just eat larger meals less frequently rather than trying to bring a cooler filled with food into a "Humvee"?

Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Why don't you just eat larger meals less frequently rather than trying to bring a cooler filled with food into a "Humvee"?
    because he doesnt want to get fat, you pig
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -Mark Twain

"The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back..."
    -Henry Rollins

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Linzzz View Post
    because he doesnt want to get fat, you pig
    Pug!!! Not pig. PUG.

ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im active duty deployed right now bro and yeh i generally snag a few tuna packs and chicken to go from the chow hall to get me between meals. its not as easy to keep up eating 6+ meals a day but if u really want to do it that way you can defintely make it work. i generally stick to about 4 main meals for convenience purposes and snack on tuna packs/cliff bars and what not to reach my calorie goals
    Amatuer Strongman
    1st place Eglin Air Force Base Strongest Man 2010
    1st place novice hvwy Florida Emerald Coast Strongest Man 2011
    Bench 455 RAW/485 reactive slingshot
    Squat 550 Belt
    Dead 615 straps/belt

Dont worry Bro..its bulking season.

Originally Posted by ironjunkiie View Post
    its not as easy to keep up eating 6+ meals a day but if u really want to do it that way you can defintely make it work.
    Why would he want to?

ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironjunkiie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Why would he want to?
    personal preference im assuming... some people like to eat 1 big meal a day and some like to eat up to ten meals a day. IIFYM people always harp on meal timing being irrelevant but im pretty sure if he's had success doing it that way he's unlikely to change it bc of a forum online.
    Amatuer Strongman
    Squat 550 Belt
    Dead 615 straps/belt

IIFYM people always harp on meal timing being irrelevant but im pretty sure if he's had success doing it that way he's unlikely to change it bc of a forum online.
    I presume you don't know what "IFFYM" means, as it has absolutely nothing to do with meal timing or frequency.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see if the OP thinks there is some form of metabolic advantage to consume 7 meals per day.

i dont think his post had anythign to do with him saying he had a metabolic advantage eating that way...it had nothing to do with him looking for people to tell him not to eat 7 meals a day...he asked for people whove had experience being deployed if there was ways to take food with you on patrols and if there were food sources outside of the regular chow hall. so i answered with a little personal experience ... Im sure he'll appreciate though anyone coming along and telling him he doesnt need to keep doing what he's doing even though its working for him
    Amatuer Strongman
    Squat 550 Belt
    Dead 615 straps/belt

Im sure he'll appreciate though anyone coming along and telling him he doesnt need to keep doing what he's doing even though its working for him
    I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but what's important to understand is that many folks engage in ritualistic behaviors, thinking those behaviors have causative effect, when in reality they only correlate to outcome.

oh i know what you mean... many people "engage in ritualistic behaviors", myself included. however, his post wasnt about seeking advice on if he SHOULD continue eating 7 meals a day, only if it was still possible while deployed.
    alot of people get alot of unwanted advice on this forum.. i simply like to stick with answering the question presented by the poster not giving additional advice based on what i may believe/know to be correct.
    Amatuer Strongman
    Squat 550 Belt
    Dead 615 straps/belt

alot of people get alot of unwanted advice on this forum.. i simply like to stick with answering the question presented by the poster not giving additional advice based on what i may believe/know to be correct.
    The purpose of providing such indications is to help posters learn what is correct by dispelling common myths. And failing to do so helps perpetuate myths.

Let me use a more blatant example: Let's say a poster indicates that he knows it's bad to consume carbs after 6pm and then asks if brown rice is ok to eat at 5pm. It's much more informative and helpful to dispel the misconception about the timing of CHO intake than to ignore the erroneous assertion and only answer the explicit question.

michael73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) michael73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am going to continue to eat frequent meals, not because I am saying it is the "best" way to achieve any particular goal, but because it is one of the tools I have used to achieve the physique I have. Thanks for your help Ironjunkiie. It is useful for me to know that I can take chicken/tuna packs with me.

Originally Posted by michael73 View Post
    I am going to continue to eat frequent meals, not because I am saying it is the "best" way to achieve any particular goal, but because it is one of the tools I have used to achieve the physique I have.
    As long as you know that meal timing and frequency do NOT have a direct impact on bodyweight or composition.

If you simply enjoy eating at that frequency, then it's fine as doing so will not have a direct negative impact on outcome.

Originally Posted by michael73 View Post
    I am going to continue to eat frequent meals, not because I am saying it is the "best" way to achieve any particular goal, but because it is one of the tools I have used to achieve the physique I have. Thanks for your help Ironjunkiie. It is useful for me to know that I can take chicken/tuna packs with me.
    no problem man...good luck in basic
    Amatuer Strongman
    Squat 550 Belt
    Dead 615 straps/belt