Nmjacuzzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight lifting glove recommendations/ advice for a girl who just started lifting heav

Weight lifting glove recommendations/ advice for a girl who just started lifting heavier, participating in CrossFit, sweats BUCKETS, hands/calluses are hurting, & has weak wrists...

I'm a 6 feet tall 28 yr old girl who has been working out all my life but just started lifting heavier weights & doing CrossFit-I need help!!!- Calluses, weak wrists, & sweaty hands (sometimes hands cramp too; is that normal?) are limiting what I can do... I sweat worse than any man (soak at least 2 gym towels & clothes - I'm ADD & take ******** which intensifies sweating)- Not only do I have to dodge my sweat puddles to avoid slipping on the floor or equipment, but my hands slip on the weights, pull-up bar, Etc & I can't get a good grip. Plus the calluses don't help. In addition in CrossFit we do a Bunch of burpees & my wrists KILL me some during the workout but mainly the following day (also in other exercises i notice my wrists hurting) perhaps support will help?!? (I lack upper body strength- 32DDSs on my 150 frame dont help; goal is to increase strength but im having a hard time doing workouts to get there!!) Idk I've heard mixed reviews on using gloves BUT I've got to change something. I'm very competitive & want to have the best CrossFit time but when I can't get a good grip due to sweat, calluses, & cramping hands- I have a total disadvantage. Feedback anyone?!? Will gloves help? If so, what kind specifically? Also while I'm a girl , I'm a TALL one so I have very big hands. This is important bc I might have to buy guys gloves for proper sizing...

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My advice skip the glove and get some chalk. Gloves interfere with your grip so if you need to strengthen your grip it's best to skip them. Get you a block of lifting chalk it's very cheap and you can buy it at almost any sports store. The chalk will help you get a better grip and prevent the sweating issues you are having.

Now as far as callous some people are just more prone to them then others and gloves want necessarily prevent them. Learning to grip the bar properly can help alot. Make you aren't palming the weight. Which means you grap the bar you don't want to grap it with your palms, you want the bar to sit in that area between the padding and the fingers. This link will help with more info.. http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-cal...ion-treatment/

and these are good grip exercises.. http://performancecenter.stack.com/a...38#wallDefault

runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) runnergrl13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i know in cross-fit there is a lot of cleans and jerks and that can be terrible for your wrists if you don't have the proper form and your not pushing your elbows out far enough (i encountered that when my weight-load first started to increase on those and i got wrist straps which didn't do a hell of a lot). focus on what your doing with your arms from the hip to shoulder portion of the movement and that should help.

i got a pair of free bodybuilding.com gloves with on of my orders- they are pink and have some soft fake black leather on the palm. i use them in the weight room b/c i am prone to calluses and blisters and often times i have open blister wounds on my hands that need covering (on some of my running days i do pull-up and dips and other exercises outside at a playground on the equiptment and it tears up my hands).

the gloves won't help with grip (even the ones with the rubber stuff don't really help all that much). i agree with grace_ou on the chalk for grip. the only problem is i have a hard time when i have open blisters with chalk (it doesn't hurt but it grosses me out), but when i am blister free and grip/sweaty hands are an issue i chalk up.

Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm a smidge over 6'1, 160 lean to 170 resting, same chest dilemma, and when I started lifting heavy I had simular issues with callouses and hand cramps. Gloves can help a lot while your hands heal and provide padding while you're doing push ups, etc. (we worked on astro turf which destroys your hands) As others said, once your hands are in better shape give chalk a legitimate shot, it helps tremendously with grip and sweating. Also, if you just started lifting heavy/cross fit why probably need time to adjust, your wrists will get stronger if you focus on proper form and cramp less as they gain strength. Just hang in there, if it doesn't improve with gloves or chalk, perhaps get them looked at? I use either xl women's gloves or medium mens gloves (prefer), so you shouldn't have a problem finding something that fits. (:

My advice skip the glove and get some chalk. Gloves interfere with your grip so if you need to strengthen your grip it's best to skip them. Get you a block of lifting chalk it's very cheap and you can buy it at almost any sports store. The chalk will help you get a better grip and prevent the sweating issues you are having.

Now as far as callous some people are just more prone to them then others and gloves want necessarily prevent them. Learning to grip the bar properly can help alot. Make you aren't palming the weight. Which means you grap the bar you don't want to grap it with your palms, you want the bar to sit in that area between the padding and the fingers.

Thanku! I'm going to definitely get some chalk!! How much difference is there bt actual chalk/ liquid chalk when it comes to usefulness & messiness? I attend an Athletic Club & I'm wondering if they might say something about the messiness... Just in case I thought I'd ask if u have any insight on this???

Thank you Equistr
    I'm going to get chalk like all of u suggested! And also invest in some gloves as well. Thanks for giving me ur height & glove sizes too; it helps! I definitely have some BIG hands! Everything on my body is long. Getting low on squats is ridiculously hard as well- but that's a whole other issue.

Anyways, Gloves... Is there anything particular I should be lookin for? (Sweat a lot, lots of slippage, callus/ blister problems, etc). I know the chalk will help with my sweat & slippage but it can't be used with the gloves can it? Sorry that's probably a really stupid question, but I sweat A LOT!! Will the gloves be enough to help with the sweat & slippage due to the moisture? I'm new to REAL weight training (been just using stationary machines or push-ups & this has never been an issue). Thanks again to anything knowledge u or anyone else can share!!

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nmjacuzzi View Post
    (also in other exercises i notice my wrists hurting)
    welcome to inujurefit. I left that stuff behind years ago, to easy to get hurt.

Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Equistr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Nmjacuzzi View Post
    Thank you Equistr
    I'm going to get chalk like all of u suggested! And also invest in some gloves as well. Thanks for giving me ur height & glove sizes too; it helps! I definitely have some BIG hands! Everything on my body is long. Getting low on squats is ridiculously hard as well- but that's a whole other issue.

Anyways, Gloves... Is there anything particular I should be lookin for? (Sweat a lot, lots of slippage, callus/ blister problems, etc). I know the chalk will help with my sweat & slippage but it can't be used with the gloves can it? Sorry that's probably a really stupid question, but I sweat A LOT!! Will the gloves be enough to help with the sweat & slippage due to the moisture? I'm new to REAL weight training (been just using stationary machines or push-ups & this has never been an issue). Thanks again to anything knowledge u or anyone else can share!!
    I know how you feel with tall lady squats. I ended up taking a long hiatus this year due to graves disease (had a thyroidectomy), but before that I had a 250lb deadlift...and couldn't even do multiple sets of deep squats with just the bar. lol This time around I've been taking my time to get low and build up a strong base...a long long time.

I use fingerless gloves in general, I like the feel because my hands get shredded by the bar otherwise. If you sweat a lot it may help with keeping your hands cool, but getting the gloves wet might be a problem as well. I think it's really going to be a trial and error type thing, I sweat hard, but my hands always stay relatively dry so I can't really advise you. Get some chalk, and grab some gloves that feel good and aren't too loose/tight, and do some experimenting. Always nice to have them around anyway. (:

mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mcmoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would skip the glove. Like many have said it doesn't neccesarily stop you from getting callouses and can actually hinder grip. Just use chalk, make sure to grip the bar correctly and just get used to callouses.

Also with your wrist problem, you can buy wrist wraps to give you a little extra support or make sure to stretch your wrist before the exercises. You could also do push ups on your fist so that there will be no bending at the wrist.

crunchnflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crunchnflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can always go with a lifting strap. Harbinger makes a good one.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry I op really though I had responded here agin. Best bet is absolutely straight chalk. Some of the spray (liquid) are ok but most of them personally I don't think work that well. If you have a gym that gets bitchy about chalk then I would go liquid but store bought. I make my own which much better and easy to do.

ngredient list:
    1-8 oz block of gymnastics chalk ($1.50)
    1-16 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol ($2.50)
    1-Empty bottle
    1-mixing dish
    1-mixing stick
    1-measuring cup

Instructions

Break up your block of chalk. Uses a fine screen to grate the chalk through; it creates a very fine dust which makes creating a smooth mixture much easier. Depending on how much liquid chalk you want to make, grind about 2-4 cups of chalk. Put it into your mixing bowl. Make sure you measure how many cups you put into your bowl.
    Add your rubbing alcohol to your mixing dish at a ratio of 1:2 (1 part alcohol to 2 parts ground chalk). Work in smaller batches of 1 cup alcohol to 2 cups chalk.
    Use your mixing stick to mix your mixture until it is really smooth. If your mixture is slightly dry add in small splashes of alcohol until it is suitable consistency.
    Add your mixture to its suitable container.

Directions for use
    Shake bottle before each application. Squirt a nickel sized glob into your hand. Don’t use more, because unlike hand lotion you can’t just rub this on your elbows to absorb the extra; it will give you really chalky elbows.Rub your hands together,vigorously. When you first apply this stuff you you will think to yourself,” ugh, this is totally disgusting.” Don’t fret, it gets better. Keep rubbing your hands together.You will notice your hands will start to get cold. This is the alcohol evaporating off your skin, taking with it moisture and oil. Your hands will start to look chalky.

Voila, liquid chalk. If you have a cut on your hand will burn. LOL

^^^^^

Just to head the question about why a gym that doesn't allow chalk would let you use liquid chalk. LOL

Most gym will allow liquid versions of chalk even though it dries to chalk on your hands because it's not the use of chalk they object it's the mess. When you use blocks of chalk it tends to fly every where. Like it covers your clothes, the floor pretty much just a big mess. The liquid forms of chalk are more self contained most gyms will allow the liquid version.