Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    brb bulk-utting! nvrstopworking's Avatar
    nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mydawgs View Post
    LOL here is the real irony I had no idea that the other guy was being a "tool", if he was and I was vehamently agreeing with you. What surprised me is a 135lb bench for even a LW BB is table stakes, move on to HWs that get on an NPC national stage and 225 is table stakes. The guy being a wise guy, if indeed that is what he was doing does not know our world...at all. I have a friend that does Figure, she squats 310 for 20 reps for 4 sets, with 20 seconds rest inbetween. I squat 310 but not like that. And again we stay to a 90 degree movement as our objective is to get that nice wide sweep on our quads.

I also understand the full ROM that power lifters sling...I respect it and most likely could not do it. So I think we are on the same page. To the man that was attampting to be offensive, if indeed he was, go to a gym frequented by female BBs and watch what they put up....then lets have a chat.
    No offense but you have to admit that some of what you're claiming is a bit difficult to believe... particularly if you train for "shape" rather than outright strength.

I've seen some vids of some strong-azz women and VERY few under 135lbs have ever come close to a 2-plate bench. Dana Linn Bailey is a current pro and I think her max is around 210-220lbs.... Becky Rich (koyongi) is one of the best benchers around at a bit of a lighter class and I think her max is around the same....

Laying claim to 235 x 4 (or 6) even doing "half-reps" would suggest that you'd be capable of doing 225 x 1 for full ROM fairly easily... or at least something like 185 x 10?

If you can, more power to you... that would be one of the most impressive feats of strength that I've ever seen on this site (if you had a vid) and would easily make you one of the strongest women in the country for your weight class (not even counting your age).

Nothing against you personally (just to be clear).... I'd expect people to be just as skeptical if I was claiming a 500lb+ bench.

mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by nvrstopworking View Post
    No offense but you have to admit that some of what you're claiming is a bit difficult to believe... particularly if you train for "shape" rather than outright strength.

I've seen some vids of some strong-azz women and VERY few under 135lbs have ever come close to a 2-plate bench. Dana Linn Bailey is a current pro and I think her max is around 210-220lbs.... Becky Rich (koyongi) is one of the best benchers around at a bit of a lighter class and I think her max is around the same....

Laying claim to 235 x 4 (or 6) even doing "half-reps" would suggest that you'd be capable of doing 225 x 1 for full ROM fairly easily... or at least something like 185 x 10?

If you can, more power to you... that would be one of the most impressive feats of strength that I've ever seen on this site (if you had a vid) and would easily make you one of the strongest women in the country for your weight class (not even counting your age).

Nothing against you personally (just to be clear).... I'd expect people to be just as skeptical if I was claiming a 500lb+ bench.
    I never full ROM anything...I don't need to. Quite frankly I am sure my connective tissues would not support. I am very NOT sure of what I could full ROM as I never have.....why would I?

KaydaRN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chest day was friday and I put up 115lbs for 8 reps the next set I did 105lbs for 10 reps last set I managed 105lbs for 8 reps... I hope I can get to the 135 range haha.

nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I never full ROM anything...I don't need to. Quite frankly I am sure my connective tissues would not support. I am very NOT sure of what I could full ROM as I never have.....why would I?
    Isn't that what this discussion is about though? How much women can bench?

I'd assume that when someone says "I can bench 135" they mean "I can bench 135 with a full ROM with an OLY BB".... not "I can bench 135 on a Smith"... or "I can bench 135 for a half-rep wit a spot".

Similarly, when someone says "I DL 315" you expect a full ROM DL and not a Rack Pull from just below the knee.

Initially you seemed surprised by the lack of big bench numbers ITT... perhaps ROM is the reason why there's a significant difference.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1/4 ROM doens't mean $hit, hell anyone can claim anything they want then. Thanks for the tool comment though, at least I don't ever E-stat and outright lie about what i'm capable of. You layed claim to being able to bench 235 and that's 100% pure bullchit.

And the 310 lb squat for 20...more bs.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I also understand the full ROM that power lifters sling...I respect it and most likely could not do it. So I think we are on the same page. To the man that was attampting to be offensive, if indeed he was, go to a gym frequented by female BBs and watch what they put up....then lets have a chat.
    We at least agree that NO you could not do it, so stop pretending to do otherwise with the cute little 3" rom lifts. I wasn't attempting to be offensive so get your panties unbunched, I was setting the record straight and calling out bs when I see it.

mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mydawgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Isn't that what this discussion is about though? How much women can bench?

I'd assume that when someone says "I can bench 135" they mean "I can bench 135 with a full ROM with an OLY BB".... not "I can bench 135 on a Smith"... or "I can bench 135 for a half-rep wit a spot".

Similarly, when someone says "I DL 315" you expect a full ROM DL and not a Rack Pull from just below the knee.

Initially you seemed surprised by the lack of big bench numbers ITT... perhaps ROM is the reason why there's a significant difference.
    Well that certainly is the discrepancy. And I will apologize for not understanding what was being asked as I have never lifted that way.

And to Corbi I never pretended anything I openly described my style and I was not sure what your intentions were as I also stated. But now you are being judge mental and offensive and panties are still not bunched.

NSW I think got to the root of the confusion for me. I also think PLs can transition much more readily to BB than visa versa. In regards to Dana Linn I have seen her throw up 60 lb DB with a pretty full ROM and military press for reps and she is a small girl.

If your contention is only full ROM is worthy of this conversation ok. My apologies.

Well that certainly is the discrepancy. And I will apologize for not understanding what was being asked as I have never lifted that way.

And to Corbi I never pretended anything I openly described my style and I was not sure what your intentions were as I also stated. But now you are being judge mental and offensive and panties are still not bunched.

NSW I think got to the root of the confusion for me. I also think PLs can transition much more readily to BB than visa versa. In regards to Dana Linn I have seen her throw up 60 lb DB with a pretty full ROM and military press for reps and she is a small girl.

If your contention is only full ROM is worthy of this conversation ok. My apologies.
    Not a problem.

I don't want to come across as a "hater" because it's the furthest thing from the truth... I've followed several journals here in the fem section for a while now and there are some STRONG gals in there without a doubt. Hobbes and Beatha in particular are gifted benchers who train like PL'ers... yet neither of them has reached 225 (yet) for a max... and they're in the 160lb range... that was why I raised an eyebrow.

I'm genuinely curious to know what you CAN do full ROM though. You should try it sometime for kicks. As I said before... you never know... you could break a national record.

Not a problem.

I don't want to come across as a "hater" because it's the furthest thing from the truth... I've followed several journals here in the fem section for a while now and there are some STRONG gals in there without a doubt. Hobbes and Beatha in particular are gifted benchers who train like PL'ers... yet neither of them has reached 225 (yet) for a max... and they're in the 160lb range... that was why I raised an eyebrow.

I'm genuinely curious to know what you CAN do full ROM though. You should try it sometime for kicks. As I said before... you never know... you could break a national record.
    I think I would like to see too. I am concerned about my connective stabilizers. How would one prepare them for such a lift.

You know I have been amazed at watching some of the HW BB lift especially on the bench. I have seen video of Iris Kyle and now it occurs to me I never paid attention to ROM just the amount of weight she does.

yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My my boys get so touchy about bench press.

Anyway I tried Barbell Bench press today for the first time in years and I did 85lb X 8 and I'm pretty happy with that.
    Originally Posted by jamie68117 View Post
    I just started lifting weights again this past Monday, after having not gone to the gym consistently in at least a couple years. Weight lifting is something I have tried in the past, but never really stuck with for more than a month or two.

This time around I'm 100% committed and really plan on being in it for the long haul! I'm just feeling a little discouraged because I feel like the weights I'm able to lift are just so darn light. :/ I'm not a wimp and I really do feel like I push myself, but I'm only able to bench 30 lbs. at the moment. Yesterday I did 1 set of 10 reps at 30 lbs., then rested for a minute, then did my 2nd set at 30 lbs. but could only do 8 reps. And my form was starting to suffer towards the end.

I am 5'3 and 166 pounds, although according to my wrist size I am a "large" frame, and honestly don't think anyone would guess I weigh that much! I am in the process of fixing my eating habits and plan on losing at least 30 lbs., but that's besides the point. OH and I'm 21 years old.

I don't get embarrassed of what all the guys think at the gym, because I am there for myself and no one else. And to be honest, I highly doubt any of them care. But I just get worried there might be something wrong with me that I can only bench 30 lbs.?! And since the bar that you add weights to is like 45 lbs., I'm gonna be forced to make a jump from 30 lbs. right to 40 lbs., which I'm a little nervous about! I read you're only supposed to increase by 10% at a time, which is gonna be impossible for me with my bench press until I work my way up to the big girl barbell. lol

Was anyone else here this weak when they first started out?! :/ Is it just genetics or what?!
    While I was at the gym today I flipped through my gym log to my first day back to lifting 9-24-12 I used the bench press machine and it went like this:
    10reps 25lb.
    10reps 25lb.
    8reps 25lb.

I couldn't even make 10 reps on the last set so yeah everyone has to start somewhere. Don't try 45lb. if you think you're going to hurt yourself. You can try the bench press machines at your gym or even start with dumbbells because it is easy to go light with them and it's a good way to make sure both arms are about equal in strength.

Don't forget about pushups. I know I'm making a HUGE assumption but many gals can't do pushups. Start doing them from your knees until you can do them from your feet. I'd bet by the time you can do 10 pushups with good form from your feet you won't have any trouble bench pressing the bar. Personally I've been doing pushups 3-4 times a week for the past few weeks because I want to join the military and I figured better I best get on that.
    “A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government” -George Washington

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149057133

Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Worcestershire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Either I have a seriously week upper body for my size or this is off. I've been lifting for around three or so months and I've just hit 60lbsx4 reps, and I'm closest to the 114lbs. I started at around 35lbs, not even a full bar, and I was relatively athletic. I think a good number of woman have a lot of their weight concentrated on their lower half, and don't have a lot of natural strength in their upper half. I'm pretty sure most of my non-lifting friends around my size couldn't handle 60lbs on their first go.

Then again, maybe I'm just a sad exception :P

EDIT: If it matters, my squat and deadlift started higher than the predictions for my weight.
    46kg snatch | 62kg c&j
    205lb bsqt | 171lb fsqt

What is bench.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have a friend that does Figure, she squats 310 for 20 reps for 4 sets, with 20 seconds rest inbetween. I squat 310 but not like that. And again we stay to a 90 degree movement as our objective is to get that nice wide sweep on our quads.
    This sounds like knee bends, not squats. We have a 200 pound BEASTLY powerlifter in the 035 by the name of Hardnheavy. He was able to get 320 for 20 reps for squats. There is no way a figure competitor is going to out lift a male power lifter that is probably a good 70-80 pounds heavier.

What you are claiming is absurd.

Really? It's like telling everyone you ran a 5 minute mile, but you really only ran 1/2 a mile in 5 minutes and benching 60 lbs dumbbells (120 lbs) is a FAR cry from cranking out 225 for reps.

I think I would like to see too. I am concerned about my connective stabilizers. How would one prepare them for such a lift.
    Your connective tissue is fine. You just warm up first.

You've been on this site for some time. You should know that if you are going to make an outrageous claim (like say competitive world record lifts), you should be able to back it with a video.

Originally Posted by Worcestershire View Post
    Either I have a seriously week upper body for my size or this is off. I've been lifting for around three or so months and I've just hit 60lbsx4 reps, and I'm closest to the 114lbs. I started at around 35lbs, not even a full bar, and I was relatively athletic. I think a good number of woman have a lot of their weight concentrated on their lower half, and don't have a lot of natural strength in their upper half. I'm pretty sure most of my non-lifting friends around my size couldn't handle 60lbs on their first go.

Then again, maybe I'm just a sad exception :P

EDIT: If it matters, my squat and deadlift started higher than the predictions for my weight.
    Nope... it's accurate. You probably just have a weak lower body and a stronger lower body in relation. Also... if you were athletic, and depending on what you did, you wouldn't be considered "untrained".

Besides... these are just "general" guidelines.

This sounds like knee bends, not squats. We have a 200 pound BEASTLY powerlifter in the 035 by the name of Hardnheavy. He was able to get 320 for 20 reps for squats. There is no way a figure competitor is going to out lift a male power lifter that is probably a good 70-80 pounds heavier.

What you are claiming is absurd.
    I was there watching...but perhaps I saw it wrong.....sigh

Really? It's like telling everyone you ran a 5 minute mile, but you really only ran 1/2 a mile in 5 minutes and benching 60 lbs dumbbells (120 lbs) is a FAR cry from cranking out 225 for reps.
    Never said anything about 225 for reps.....and the 60lb DBs are a shoulder press for Dana....impressive!

Your connective tissue is fine. You just warm up first.
    I am not sure I buy that...if I have always stopped at 90 degrees how would my connectors be conditioned for full range?

You've been on this site for some time. You should know that if you are going to make an outrageous claim (like say competitive world record lifts), you should be able to back it with a video.
    The whole point of my post was it did not make sense to me as I do not lift to FRM....hence the question. I just never expected the angry retorts. I was very thankful to NSW to break it down for me. What part of "I apologize" for MY misunderstanding did not resonate with you?
    Last edited by mydawgs; 11-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was there watching...but perhaps I saw it wrong.....sigh

Never said anything about 225 for reps.....and the 60lb DBs are a shoulder press for Dana....impressive!

I am not sure I buy that...if I have always stopped at 90 degrees how would my connectors be conditioned for full range?

The whole point of my post was it did not make sense to me as I do not lift to FRM....hence the question. I just never expected the angry retorts. I was very thankful to NSW to break it down for me. What part of "I apologize" for MY misunderstanding did not resonate with you?
    If you want to apologize to me directly, there is a place for that here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149853103

Srs though, the retorts are not angry. Simply put, time and time again we see e-stats i.e. outrageous claims and they are laughable. Instead of imagining us being angry... imagine us rolling our eyes, because that is what I am doing.

And ya... you were there and saw the 320 for 20, and I am still calling bullsh*t. Even your stats with partial reps is crazy. Of course you know you need prove nothing to anyone, though if you are making the claim... I would imagine you want SOMEONE to believe you. Vids would help.

As far as lifting heavy... fine don't "buy" it. There are tons of people in the 035 that just started in their 40s, 50s, and 60's. Their joints seem to tolerate lifting heavy. As a trained bodybuilder, your connective tissue should be MORE than healthy enough. Though for those not natural, this could definitely be a reason why joints may be aggravated by heavy lifting.... otherwise should be fine (pending no medical problems).

If you want to apologize to me directly, there is a place for that here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149853103
    No I apologized to all on the thread for not understanding what was asked for...including you.

Srs though, the retorts are not angry. Simply put, time and time again we see e-stats i.e. outrageous claims and they are laughable. Instead of imagining us being angry... imagine us rolling our eyes, because that is what I am doing.
    Ok....if you must. I work nice weight to 90 degrees...if I went FRM I am sure i could not do nearly as much. And most that train with me for show train the same, that is normal to me. I very rarely see a PL....let alone a female PL, that is why I have different ideas about what I do. Now that I understand...I will be the first to say....I STAND CORRECTED.

And ya... you were there and saw the 320 for 20, and I am still calling bullsh*t. Even your stats with partial reps is crazy. Of course you know you need prove nothing to anyone, though if you are making the claim... I would imagine you want SOMEONE to believe you. Vids would help.
    It wasn't me but I was watching, the whole gym was actually and i found it inspiring. She did 3 45 plates each side 20 reps for 4 sets. Knees wrapped belt and her husband spotting. It's Ok you believe what ya want I was happy I got to see it however.

As far as lifting heavy... fine don't "buy" it. There are tons of people in the 035 that just started in their 40s, 50s, and 60's. Their joints seem to tolerate lifting heavy. As a trained bodybuilder, your connective tissue should be MORE than healthy enough. Though for those not natural, this could definitely be a reason why joints may be aggravated by heavy lifting.... otherwise should be fine (pending no medical problems).
    I see we are talking past one another....I believe it can be done no doubt, I just think I (me only) in my situation, should train up to it. I am sure my pecs can push some weight, I am also sure I don't want to fail at the connectors before getting them strong enough to engage the pecs....I am saying I need some additional work. I would imagine lightning up and going full range for say 15 reps, when I can do that easily....increase the weight....yes?

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am sure my pecs can push some weight, I am also sure I don't want to fail at the connectors before getting them strong enough to engage the pecs....I am saying I need some additional work. I would imagine lightning up and going full range for say 15 reps, when I can do that easily....increase the weight....yes?
    The issue is that anyone can do a higher weight (for them) with a shorter ROM than full ROM - it's physics. So yes, you will have to drop the weight (probably significantly) to do a full bench touching (not bouncing off of) chest. However, keep in mind that a lot of the reasons BBs don't do full ROM for "shoulder health" is that they usually perform the bench press in a manner that is not healthy for the shoulder. If you have the bar path high (nipple to neck region rather than between nipple and bottom of ribcage) and elbows flared out, yes you can mess up your shoulders. Keep elbows tucked more, shoulderblades tight under you, bar path lower, and don't focus on just pecs.

As for the original topic here, it took me ages to be able to bench 135, even touch-and-go. Just got up a 140 with pause at my meet a few weeks ago, but also tweaked my shoulder a bit (warm up weights were a bit unbalanced, but didn't feel the effects till the next day, lol). So right now I'm only benching 75 x 2 . But I have some gangly arms and have a feeling no matter how much I improve with form and training I still won't have record-breaking bench numbers.

However, everyone has their "good" lift, for me that seems to be the squat.
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

I see we are talking past one another....I believe it can be done no doubt, I just think I (me only) in my situation, should train up to it. I am sure my pecs can push some weight, I am also sure I don't want to fail at the connectors before getting them strong enough to engage the pecs....I am saying I need some additional work. I would imagine lightning up and going full range for say 15 reps, when I can do that easily....increase the weight....yes?
    That's exactly what I would suggest. In fact, it's what I do EVERY bench day.

I'd probably try something like this based on what you've said about you bench.

bar x some
    95lbs x 12
    135lbs x 8
    160lbs x 5
    185lbs x 3
    205lbs x 1
    225lbs x 1

All full ROM.

Gives you so decent time to warm up and then pushes you near the end.

yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50) yummycow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    If you have the bar path high (nipple to neck region rather than between nipple and bottom of ribcage) and elbows flared out, yes you can mess up your shoulders. Keep elbows tucked more, shoulderblades tight under you, bar path lower, and don't focus on just pecs.
    Oh my, I've been doing this wrong.

Perhaps I should look into proper technique, the last thing I need is another injury.
    “A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government” -George Washington

melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50) melodyjayne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yummycow View Post

Don't forget about pushups. I know I'm making a HUGE assumption but many gals can't do pushups. Start doing them from your knees until you can do them from your feet. I'd bet by the time you can do 10 pushups with good form from your feet you won't have any trouble bench pressing the bar. Personally I've been doing pushups 3-4 times a week for the past few weeks because I want to join the military and I figured better I best get on that.
    Re pushups..for any newbie (like me) reading..the smith machine works brilliantly for gaining strength on these as you can adjust easily as you go
    Cheers,
    Mel x

-Just because it burns, it doesn't mean your gonna die- (Pink)

My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149651933

The issue is that anyone can do a higher weight (for them) with a shorter ROM than full ROM - it's physics. So yes, you will have to drop the weight (probably significantly) to do a full bench touching (not bouncing off of) chest. However, keep in mind that a lot of the reasons BBs don't do full ROM for "shoulder health" is that they usually perform the bench press in a manner that is not healthy for the shoulder. If you have the bar path high (nipple to neck region rather than between nipple and bottom of ribcage) and elbows flared out, yes you can mess up your shoulders. Keep elbows tucked more, shoulderblades tight under you, bar path lower, and don't focus on just pecs.

As for the original topic here, it took me ages to be able to bench 135, even touch-and-go. Just got up a 140 with pause at my meet a few weeks ago, but also tweaked my shoulder a bit (warm up weights were a bit unbalanced, but didn't feel the effects till the next day, lol). So right now I'm only benching 75 x 2 . But I have some gangly arms and have a feeling no matter how much I improve with form and training I still won't have record-breaking bench numbers.

However, everyone has their "good" lift, for me that seems to be the squat.
    I am definitely right at nipple. Hands shoulder distance apart and I suppose elbows do flare out until a 90 degree angle. So move the bar towards my feet a bit...use more tricep to the lift....do I have that correct?

And I will work your progression NSW and see how far I get. How often in a week do you do this?

Thank you all...I am excited I look forward to moving to a FRM bench!

Allowing my well-being ShapingUp's Avatar
    ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Geezus, that chart is a blow to my ego. I've been at this for 9 years now, benching 70, squatting 115 and SLDL 110. I can go heavier with the leg work with fewer reps and poorer form, but the bench press takes all I've got. I was stuck on 65 pounds for about 2 years and just got up to 70 a couple of months ago! But reps for posting the chart.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Chaos - thanks , and that's a really good point that 1% is quite a large number of people, never thought of it like that. I never really see women in my gym benching, and if they are it's like 65lbs srs. I think if most women did bench all the time like you see most women on the treadmill all the time, you'd see a plate or more being repped out frequently. I'm guessing the women that DO bench are probably working out in PL type club gyms or in home gyms, not your typical commercial gym that most of us go to.

^^^THIS x10. When I first started benching 4yrs ago I was doing it sooo wrong and it took a toll on my shoulders. Bench has been one of the lifts that's come easier to me, duno why just is, but if you're getting strong at it and do it wrong you'll mess yourself up. I switched to dbs only for a long time, was just kinder to my rotator cuffs, and did a hell of a lot of rehab and rc work to get back to pressing normally. Today was the third time this yr I did a serious bb bench day, went great, but I warmed up big time (I see people do like 1-2 warmup sets and think wtf are they thinking?!) Also no idea why so many people bench so high like BF is saying. I go to my ribs now, feels terrible if I go nipple level or higher srs so I don't do it, but get enough of an arch in there so my elbows aren't going way below parallel.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Also no idea why so many people bench so high like BF is saying. I go to my ribs now, feels terrible if I go nipple level or higher srs so I don't do it, but get enough of an arch in there so my elbows aren't going way below parallel.
    I know why I was doing it. It's been years since I've really benched at all and when I started this morning I was bringing the bar down right on top of my breast without thinking about it probably because it was the most comfortable way to do it. Then I thought to myself that is probably cheating because that is like an inch or two less that the bar has to move so I moved the bar just above my breast and finished working that way. I wasn't thinking about my shoulder though and I really don't want to hurt my shoulder.

jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamie68117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by yummycow View Post
    My my boys get so touchy about bench press.

Anyway I tried Barbell Bench press today for the first time in years and I did 85lb X 8 and I'm pretty happy with that.

While I was at the gym today I flipped through my gym log to my first day back to lifting 9-24-12 I used the bench press machine and it went like this:
    10reps 25lb.
    10reps 25lb.
    8reps 25lb.

I couldn't even make 10 reps on the last set so yeah everyone has to start somewhere. Don't try 45lb. if you think you're going to hurt yourself. You can try the bench press machines at your gym or even start with dumbbells because it is easy to go light with them and it's a good way to make sure both arms are about equal in strength.

Thank you SO much for the info/advice! Tonight I tried the 40 lb. barbell, and was able to do 5 decently clean reps! I mean, I'm sure they didn't look pretty but I wasn't on the verge of injury myself or anything. My second set I did 15 reps with the 30 lb. barbell.

I felt really good about being able to lift the 40 lbs., even if it was only for 5 reps! Now I feel I'm not as far away from the big girl bar as I thought. LOL

But you're right, I should do more pushups I suck at them!

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Eek! My bench is bad! LOL

Bench: Less than Untrained
    Squat: Untrained to Novice
    DL: Novice to Intermediate

EDIT: Is the table for 1 rep?
    Last edited by Botika; 11-25-2012 at 07:28 PM.

rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000) rebeckyt is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Botika View Post
    EDIT: Is the table for 1 rep?
    Yes!! The table is for 1 REP MAX so you are doing better than you think. Don't be discouraged :-)
    Being weak is a choice. So is being strong.

CBBF IFBB Pro Qualifier-August 9, 2014

Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Oversteer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't remember ever seeing a girl bench 60kgs... Ever.

So I'd agree, it's pretty rare. Lol

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rebeckyt View Post
    Yes!! The table is for 1 REP MAX so you are doing better than you think. Don't be discouraged :-)
    I was inspired by this thread and added 5kg to my bench this morning so now 30kg. I think I could actually do more but I don't have a spotter! I've been a bit complacent adding weight lately. Time to amp it up again I think!

BTW... Is full ROM is from arms extended to bar hitting chest?

DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeCoors is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been able to do 2x135 lbs, no help. Not a smith machine. Spotter only there to watch but does not help or touch the bar. I cannot for the life of me get one at 140lbs and I do keep trying. Also worried that as I go down in body weight, I won't be able to keep the 135. But oh well. Body weight need to go.

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DeCoors View Post
    I have been able to do 2x135 lbs, no help. Not a smith machine. Spotter only there to watch but does not help or touch the bar. I cannot for the life of me get one at 140lbs and I do keep trying. Also worried that as I go down in body weight, I won't be able to keep the 135. But oh well. Body weight need to go.
    Micro plates - get some 1.25s or even smaller. I've got 0.25kg plates (that's like 0.55lbs) Any progress is progress in my books